Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

voltron lion force posted:

Also, a commander told me that if you're in a room with just a resource and a power, always kill the resource first since it actually costs something to rebuild.

This isn't a flat rule. Generally it depends on the skill of the Comm- a good Comm will just recycle the node, and then all you did was waste time. Killing the power guarantees they waste the res.

Kaal posted:

In that case it seems that it would be really easy to just implement it as a client-side settings option.

True, but I imagine this'll be a mod, more than likely. I doubt top-end players will bother getting it.

Edit: Also nothing's wrong with Skulk biting, you just don't have your timing and aim down yet. Takes time.

quaunaut fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Nov 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.
Killing the power also lets you murder marines in the dark

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

MonsterUnderYourBed posted:

The only correct name for the gorge is the wombat.

Fatty or tubs is also acceptable.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

voltron lion force posted:

Also, a commander told me that if you're in a room with just a resource and a power, always kill the resource first since it actually costs something to rebuild.

I think this was me. Cool that I was your comm I guess. I really see too many skulks rushing for those drat nodes in extractor-only rooms though.

The Pope
Feb 18, 2007
So is this game gonna get better optimization or what?

It runs like poo poo.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

7c Nickel posted:

Hey, looks like Criken has a new video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZdY_M9n24c

I would HIGHLY suggest you also watch his Chivalry video too.

It's like Beavis and Butthead playing NS2.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Whenever someone heals me I make sure to say 'thanks gorgeous'. This has lead to discussions about my 'rapey voice'.

Lurking291230
Oct 17, 2012

The Pope posted:

It runs like poo poo.

I'm pretty sure they are going to deoptimize the game so it will run even worse.

Yes, that makes perfect sense. :rolleyes:

Can I only get better at being commander by being one? This is rough...

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Another game, another newbie who knows how to alien comm.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

The Pope posted:

It runs like poo poo.

I have an old system by today's standards and it runs flawlessly, what are you running?

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Lurking291230 posted:

Can I only get better at being commander by being one? This is rough...

I dunno you can pick up a lot by following what works and what doesn't. A commander who doesn't understand the way the upgrades effect the battle flow on the different map areas won't be as useful as someone who has a feel for how the upgrades are used.

Lurking291230
Oct 17, 2012

randombattle posted:

I dunno you can pick up a lot by following what works and what doesn't. A commander who doesn't understand the way the upgrades effect the battle flow on the different map areas won't be as useful as someone who has a feel for how the upgrades are used.

Yeah, it can be pretty noticeable when you join a game and after 10 minutes the marines don't have armor or weapon upgrades.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Quick shotguns and weapons 1 pretty much assures dominance in battle as marines if you have people who can aim.

GateheaD
Sep 27, 2005

Gatorade me bitch
This game crashes instantly (Black screen with Windows 8 error reported on boot)
Some things I have tried include:
    Verify game integrity in steam
    Delete items and redownload them (Shaders)
    Remove logs etc from APPDATA (Logs aren't helpful as it just names my video card and crashes)
    All manner of Compatibility and Administration elevation settings.

I have a ATI 6950 if that matters

I guess the next step is to download everything again but I'm not really in the mood to do that.

I'm a systems engineer so I have a fair idea how to troubleshoot, ideas for this game?

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

quaunaut posted:

This isn't a flat rule. Generally it depends on the skill of the Comm- a good Comm will just recycle the node, and then all you did was waste time. Killing the power guarantees they waste the res.

In the current patch can't you recycle when the power is out? I thought that was added back in.

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"

GateheaD posted:

This game crashes instantly (Black screen with Windows 8 error reported on boot)
    Remove logs etc from APPDATA (Logs aren't helpful as it just names my video card and crashes)

I guess the next step is to download everything again but I'm not really in the mood to do that.

I'm a systems engineer so I have a fair idea how to troubleshoot, ideas for this game?

Try installing the dx9 runtime, I had the same issue.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I've had multiple games this morning where the comm, as both marine and alien, just totally ignores getting upgrades for the first 10+ minutes of the game while players constantly asked for them, to the point of explaining exactly where on the comm interface to find it. I don't understand this behaviour but then we also had a guy in one game who essentially went 'on strike' and refused to do anything because the comm didn't put down a robotics lab as his first build. I'm totally fine with people not knowing what to do but a lot of players just seem willfully stupid and ignore all the advice from the more experienced team members :smith:

Also had a pretty weird game on Veil where we totally dominated marines at the start, took down skylights and topo and stopped them from getting nano up for a fair while, then suddenly everyone realised that we only had 2 harvesters and 1 hive and no upgrades and there were whips everywhere. The team had great coordination and I guess we all just assumed that the comm was quietly cysting and building harvesters because everyone else seemed to know what they were doing.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Nov 4, 2012

Lurking291230
Oct 17, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

I've had multiple games this morning where the comm, as both marine and alien, just totally ignores getting upgrades for the first 10+ minutes of the game while players constantly asked for them, to the point of explaining exactly where on the comm interface to find it. I don't understand this behaviour but then we also had a guy in one game who essentially went 'on strike' and refused to do anything because the comm didn't put down a robotics lab as his first build. I'm totally fine with people not knowing what to do but a lot of players just seem willfully stupid and ignore all the advice from the more experienced team members :smith:

Well, being experienced doesn't necessarily mean you should go on strike if you don't get what you want.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Yeah I was giving that as an example of someone else who seemed to be acting like a jerk for no good reason in my entirely teamplay-based FPS/RTS hybrid game V:)V

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Where do we report bugs these days?

If Atrium hive dies you can't expand cysts past it to that little nook south of it, since the game considers all the area up there either on top of the hive or too far from the nearest possible cyst point.

This caused me to lose all of my upgrade towers and draw a game out to 100 minutes

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

randombattle posted:

Fades are pretty great because they cannot die in one on one and will still easily win a 2 on 1 as well. Those claws are so god drat strong.

You say this but if the commander is watching marines like a hawk they will drop like 20 medpacks on them and then you will die becuase medpack spam is still as op as it ever was.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
The three best strategies an alien comm can have(that I've found yet):

• Go Shift Hive First

Why? Mostly because Celerity is even more useful than leap, and Shifts are insane. You get some infestation all the way up to Marine Start, plant a shift, and put decent res into planting eggs around it- and the Marines are kept busy while you expand over the rest of the map.

• Expand way further than you 'should' with Cysts and res nodes, but be conservative with Hives
If you've got a few res towers, you can plant Cysts till you're blue in the face and have nothing to worry about. And res nodes pay for themselves in just a few ticks- remember, your best bet is to slow down Marines, as it gives you more time and room to expand.

• If they're attacking a hive with a concentrated force, gently caress it.
Just go hit their base. You either win by forcing a bacon, or forcing a late relocate. Or they just lose their exosuits. It's a winning strategy in any case, so do it.

Raneman
Dec 24, 2010

by T. Finninho
Probably an old question, but does anyone know where the deluxe edition bonuses are located?

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

Raneman posted:

Probably an old question, but does anyone know where the deluxe edition bonuses are located?

Steam/steamapps/common/Natural Selection 2/DeluxeEdition

Raneman
Dec 24, 2010

by T. Finninho
Thanks.

Anyway, is the Lerk More server still up? Because if it is, we have a chance to try something out and run some custom maps. No one else is doing that right now.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking

RabidWeasel posted:

Also had a pretty weird game on Veil where we totally dominated marines at the start, took down skylights and topo and stopped them from getting nano up for a fair while, then suddenly everyone realised that we only had 2 harvesters and 1 hive and no upgrades and there were whips everywhere. The team had great coordination and I guess we all just assumed that the comm was quietly cysting and building harvesters because everyone else seemed to know what they were doing.

Yeah, I was playing a game last night, and our Comm started flubbing it so bad that he just hopped out and we just didn't have a Comm for the rest of the match. I probably should have hopped in there, but I don't really know a ton about commanding.

Of course, we were also getting ruined by a band of Onos running around our base, so I assume the Comm had just thrown up his arms and given up.

I also joined halfway through the match, and things were already looking kind of grim when I joined.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
You know that thing where at the start of the game nobody bothers to enter the commander's seat so you hop in and then for next twenty mins your team accomplishes gently caress all because everyone's too busy running around the map alone and whining in chat about how terrible commander you are until they finally bother to vote you out and then 10 minutes later you lose because nobody else could be arsed to command either? That owns.

Incidently, the commander UI is Bethesda levels of awful and I have no idea how to order people to go somewhere other than spamming Attention ping that everyone just ignores.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I really REALLY miss the NS1 hive sight so I can see where my alienbros are in relation to me :<

Spengelbeiser
Oct 8, 2009

The Pope posted:

It runs like poo poo.

What are you system specs/what problems are you having, specifically?

Some general guidelines for performance:
* Make sure the graphical bells and whistles are turned off. No Ambient Occlusion, don't texture stream unless you have an SSD.
* Lower your resolution. Most people with subpar hardware report a large performance increase from doing this.
* Laptop? Make sure NS2 is set up to run on your dedicated card, not integrated. Everyone forgets this.
* Update your video drivers.

If you're still running like poo poo after going through this checklist, then either you have some sort of edge-case driver support issue and need to report it on the official tech support forums, or your hardware is aging.

GateheaD posted:

I have heard rumors of the game "just failing" Windows 8 when it worked fine on Windows 7 on the same system before upgrade, so it may be a case of that. I mean, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you're a systems engineer and you upgraded to Windows 8 in the first week of official release (aka unofficial paid beta) then you probably have a pretty good idea where to start your troubleshooting. But to state the obvious, make sure your drivers are up to date. Instant crash sounds like a flat-out driver fail, can't initialize the video device, which mostly likely means a Windows 8 driver fuckup of some kind.

Also posting your full system specs here would help.

Spengelbeiser fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 4, 2012

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

Puistokemisti posted:

You know that thing where at the start of the game nobody bothers to enter the commander's seat so you hop in and then for next twenty mins your team accomplishes gently caress all because everyone's too busy running around the map alone and whining in chat about how terrible commander you are until they finally bother to vote you out and then 10 minutes later you lose because nobody else could be arsed to command either? That owns.

Incidently, the commander UI is Bethesda levels of awful and I have no idea how to order people to go somewhere other than spamming Attention ping that everyone just ignores.

Now, lets switch these two around!

"I have no idea how to give orders."

"Everyone thought I sucked at commanding because I don't give orders."

Here's the idea: With marines, you select them like you would in any RTS. With aliens, your 3rd tab has all the kinds of pings you need.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Puistokemisti posted:

Select a person, select move (think the hotkey is S) and click where you want.

They should basically scrap the UI and rip off Starcraft as much as possible. Control groups and hotkeys would make it so much easier to give commands. Or you could just use voice chat instead.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Select a person, select move (think the hotkey is S) and click where you want.

They should basically scrap the UI and rip off Starcraft as much as possible. Control groups and hotkeys would make it so much easier to give commands. Or you could just use voice chat instead.

The entire comm interface is hotkeyed. Grid layout. Mouse over the buttons and it literally tells you what they are.

Downward Spiral
Nov 25, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Drone_Fragger posted:

I really REALLY miss the NS1 hive sight so I can see where my alienbros are in relation to me :<

A lot of the awareness features seem worse. Especially the minimap with it's new scaling and background blur. I used to pretty much play with the minimap open more than half the time and seamlessly go to biting/shooting.

Re NS2 performance:
It seems to really go to poo poo in games where infestation can happen. I get 150-200 fps in the menus, 60-80 when nothing is happening and 15-30 anytime something is worth shooting at after a few minutes in a game.

Loading up combat however, even a full server in a big fight, everything is smooth as silk. Still need an FPS limiter to shoot just right because mouse responsiveness changes with FPS, but other than that it's much more playable than the base game.

(People report the same massive gain with NS2C, but there's no servers for that until it's actually updated)

If anyone cares, what I used to do for NS1 when my machine was poo poo was to use a PS2 to USB adapter for the mouse - for some reason if it's hooked up to the PS2 port the turning remains regular even if you don't have the framerate to support showing you your turns and/or your CPU is eating poo poo at the moment.

Edit: Turns out 150-200 in the menu with nothing going on. Tried turning resoultion back down and it stays that way, looks like there's a 200 fps cap (a totally impractical point to limit, but oh well).

Downward Spiral fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 4, 2012

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Fades are quickly turning into my favorite unit by far in this game. Played a 7v7 game, and at one point had a 25+ killstreak and 3 solo entire base destruction life going. Literally 1v4'd marines with flamethrower and shotguns and came out on top easily. It was about half and half rookies/non-rookies (I lost my rookiehood a few games earlier myself).

Was rocking celerity, silence, and regen. Blink behind the last guy and he's dead before anyone realizes it. Like a ghost.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

quaunaut posted:

The entire comm interface is hotkeyed. Grid layout. Mouse over the buttons and it literally tells you what they are.

The best part is how it shares your hotkeys as a player so half the time when I push my minimap button I accidentally cancel something.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

quaunaut posted:

I meant more for existing buildings. It's small, but having to scroll back to find wherever you've put an armory to research something feels needlessly clunky.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ShadowHawk posted:

The best part is how it shares your hotkeys as a player so half the time when I push my minimap button I accidentally cancel something.
My big thing is instinctively trying to WASD around the overview. What's going on why am I building poo poo why did I evolve that hive why am I beaconing ALL I WANTED TO DO WAS SCROLL UP :gonk:

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Has there ever been talk of additional game modes? I was just watching the Marine Commander Tutorial and noticed there is a message at the start of the round that says "Objective: Kill Alien Hive." It made me think that perhaps there are additional modes planned which is why they'd have to display the objective at the start of a round. Either way this game is fun as hell and I'm glad to finally be playing NS again. :D

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
Any news on a fix for those of us with the timeout bug?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"

Spengelbeiser posted:

What are you system specs/what problems are you having, specifically?

Some general guidelines for performance:
* Make sure the graphical bells and whistles are turned off. No Ambient Occlusion, don't texture stream unless you have an SSD.
* Lower your resolution. Most people with subpar hardware report a large performance increase from doing this.
* Laptop? Make sure NS2 is set up to run on your dedicated card, not integrated. Everyone forgets this.
* Update your video drivers.

If you're still running like poo poo after going through this checklist, then either you have some sort of edge-case driver support issue and need to report it on the official tech support forums, or your hardware is aging.

I have heard rumors of the game "just failing" Windows 8 when it worked fine on Windows 7 on the same system before upgrade, so it may be a case of that. I mean, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you're a systems engineer and you upgraded to Windows 8 in the first week of official release (aka unofficial paid beta) then you probably have a pretty good idea where to start your troubleshooting. But to state the obvious, make sure your drivers are up to date. Instant crash sounds like a flat-out driver fail, can't initialize the video device, which mostly likely means a Windows 8 driver fuckup of some kind.

Also posting your full system specs here would help.

This isn't quite what texture streaming is. It's to do with texture submission to the GPU from system memory. Traditionally textures were held in system memory, a texture was sent to the GPU and the system waited for the copy to happen. When the copy is completed, the system carries on.

Texture streaming is when the texture is in system memory and the GPU gets told to "stream" the texture. The GPU gets given a pointer to the texture and the system carries on issuing other directX commands. The GPU will then copy the texture to its graphics memory when it can.

It's experimental because it relies on some tricky memory management and resource handling as well as some difficult thread locking. Textures in texture streaming must already be in system memory before the GPU memory. This is because GPU ram is more expensive but a lot faster than system memory, so it is assumed to be a restriction on the graphics pipeline.

Direct x 11.1 on windows 8 takes this a step further by allowing the GPU to read the textures straight from memory without a copy.

Basically texture streaming should boost performance if you don't mind texture pop-in.

Furthermore windows 8 doesn't ship with direct x 9 at all, and bits of ns2 uses the dx9 runtime. Ns2 also doesn't ship with the direct x 9 redist. Just download and install it.

• Locked thread