Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

HeyEng posted:

I love that whine. It's a goddamn brilliant noise.

Only USAF heavy that is louder/more annoying than AWACS is FRED. Speaking of...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUx5wTV4XVk

Description of incident stolen from another board:

quote:

Once upon a time and this is no poo poo at a base in Northern Afghanistan, a C-5M started a take off roll as soon two F-16's landed and dearmed. At the same time a rainstorm was cascading rain on mountains just to the south of this base that caused a flash flood on the runway just right at the same time the C-5 was past refusal. In that water that the C-5 powered through was base garbage and a couple pieces of AN2 matting which contacted the C-5 at over 100 knots and caused extensive damage to both APU's landing gear and sheet metal, the C-5 left four 463 pallets worth of destroyed parts on the runway and what you see on rotation is gallons of hydraulic fluid being pumped out of sheered lines, it later IFE'd into another base with extensive USAF mx support. I'm just wondering who leaked this on youtube. I understand this jet is still at Robins after flying gear down from the AOR awaiting funds to repair it.

Looks plausible to me, it is definitely dumping some sort of fluid on rotation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

azflyboy posted:

When you throw in afterburners, those numbers get even more absurd.

On takeoff, the fuel burn for an F-16 is somewhere in the neighborhood of 36,000lbs (~5,300 gallons) per hour, in an aircraft that carries about 12,000lbs of fuel with two external tanks fitted. For a B-1, the takeoff fuel burn can reach 250,000lbs (just under 37,000 gallons) with all four engines in full afterburner.

poo poo. A DC-10 or MD-11 burns 1800-2000 pounds an hour, at ground idle. About four and a half gallons a minute.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

HeyEng posted:

I love that whine. It's a goddamn brilliant noise.

I love this noise. Skip to :50 for the mating call of the rare lockheed elk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozIRwMhRVRY

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Maybe you guys can help me out. I'm a QA/Inspector for a company that makes parts for Spirit/Boeing. My inspection lab has ugly bare white walls and I've been given somewhat free reign to decorate them as I wish. As much as I'd like to put up posters of Chairman Mao and Che, they probably wouldn't fly, so I've decided to put up a bunch of posters/pictures of airplanes. Unfortunately finding high resolution action shots of Boeing commercial airliners is actually a little more difficult than I had imagined.

So do you guys have any high resolution (high enough to blow up to at least poster size without looking like poo poo) action shots of Boeing airliners, specifically 737s, 777s, and 787s?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

rscott posted:

Maybe you guys can help me out. I'm a QA/Inspector for a company that makes parts for Spirit/Boeing. My inspection lab has ugly bare white walls and I've been given somewhat free reign to decorate them as I wish. As much as I'd like to put up posters of Chairman Mao and Che, they probably wouldn't fly, so I've decided to put up a bunch of posters/pictures of airplanes. Unfortunately finding high resolution action shots of Boeing commercial airliners is actually a little more difficult than I had imagined.

So do you guys have any high resolution (high enough to blow up to at least poster size without looking like poo poo) action shots of Boeing airliners, specifically 737s, 777s, and 787s?

I feel like you could totally leverage an excessive amount of free swag from Boeing and share extras with your fellow posters :angel:

Otherwise, go browsing Airliners.net I guess, they sell blown-up versions of shots, right?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Airliners.net is where I'd probably go.

iyaayas01 posted:

Looks plausible to me, it is definitely dumping some sort of fluid on rotation.

Interesting...but the pallet thing makes zero sense whatsoever.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Edit: Nothing to see here :ninja:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

rscott posted:

anytime a manufacturer rep comes by (not often), they usually bring all sorts of posters and calendars and mugs and poo poo. So arrange to meet your local Boeing rep for some barely plausible purpose and tell him to bring posters. Next time I'm at work I'll fish around to see what there is and I can mail them to you, if you don't mind used/folded that is.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

rscott posted:

If only you were looking for photos of other manufacturers... I could sell you some!

How about an air-to-air of a B-17? I have a B-52 in a fly-over. And a KC-135 probably... That's about all the Boeing I have. D:

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Speaking of Boeing contractors, my brother was recently interviewed to work for Seattle Lighthouse for the Blind. They have a machine shop setup that is usable by those who are blind and/or deaf to make A/C parts. He's been unable to get work for many years due to his disability and related issues so this has been a big inspiration for him.

They're a pretty impressive organization and I hope they get more attention for the positive effort they've done for many people who've struggled (and are often shunned) in modern society. He's really excited to participate in something that makes airplane parts, especially as someone who is blind.
Machining Capabilities - The Lighthouse for the Blind, Inc.
http://youtu.be/WdGtXZ26QBs

Programs, Products, and Services — The Lighthouse for the Blind, Inc.
http://youtu.be/f-mlD9wPYc8

http://seattlelighthouse.org/

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

rscott posted:

Can you get a little bit of left wing in there by getting some nice Tu-95 or IL-62 posters too?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Powercube posted:

Regardless, I am back tonight to ask what you would like to know next about JS or North Korean aviation in general as I am not sure what to make the target of my next post. Also, Slo Tek- don't worry, Datangshan is coming. You'll get your 500m long line of shenyangs yet.

Can you go into the food served on board? I saw reference to a JS "cheeseburger"? Did you get one? What is it? Was any of the food "good"?

Was there special catering on the flight into NK? Just wondering if some foods weren't allowed to be served or if JS brought their own catering for both trips.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

rscott posted:

Maybe you guys can help me out. I'm a QA/Inspector for a company that makes parts for Spirit/Boeing. My inspection lab has ugly bare white walls and I've been given somewhat free reign to decorate them as I wish.
Pictures of the nastiest failures and disasters you can find. Or super-large-print copies of FAR 21.2.

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

I don't like that dude... I don't like THAT DUDE!

sellouts posted:

Can you go into the food served on board? I saw reference to a JS "cheeseburger"? Did you get one? What is it? Was any of the food "good"?

Was there special catering on the flight into NK? Just wondering if some foods weren't allowed to be served or if JS brought their own catering for both trips.

One must not forget that it was Kim Jong Il that invented the Hamburger... I cannot remember what they call them in North Korea. They have become a big deal in FNJ, or so it is claimed. Hence, on FNJ-International legs, you are served a vile piece of steaming poo poo called a "koryo burger". Which is somehow, overly sweet, greasy, and has carrots in the patty. I did not take a picture of mine as I pretended to sleep through the terrible action movie and propaganda they were blasting at full tilt throughout the cabin.

On PEK-FNJ, however. Cold chicken, mystery meat, and "curry rice"!

The food is produced in China, but I don't reckon they even spend anywhere close to the industry average of $3/pax.

Edit: trying to find a photo of the food.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

Airliners.net is where I'd probably go.

Interesting...but the pallet thing makes zero sense whatsoever.

I don't think he's saying the aircraft dumped pallets from the cargo hold (which would be ludicrous), he's using that as a unit of measure for how much poo poo the aircraft left behind on the runway after smashing into all the FOD that was in the floodwater...which if you're talking loose AM-2 matting hitting an aircraft traveling at 100+ kts is entirely possible, particularly if you include sheet metal getting knocked loose from the fuselage. I mean, on something as big as a C-5 you take a couple of parts from one APU and part of the landing gear getting busted loose and you've basically maxed out a 463L pallet, so filling up four pallets worth of poo poo really wouldn't be that difficult with that much damage.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
This was in the GBS YouTube thread.

Coolest helicopter pilot ever. Saves a kids R/C P-51. I wanna give that dude a hug.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I misread it...though it said 463 pallets' worth of parts. :lol: Hence my skepticism.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

I misread it...though it said 463 pallets' worth of parts. :lol: Hence my skepticism.

:lol:

"Yeah, the C-5 just completely disintegrated, we're having to ship it home on 463 pallets"

"How many pallets are you using?"

"I told you, 463!"

"Not what kind, how many!"

nyuck-nyuck-nyuck

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

I don't like that dude... I don't like THAT DUDE!
Best seats on an IL-62:

P-885 Window View by Powercube, on Flickr

~Row 27-29.

Muy
Dec 11, 2005
MuyBurrito

Colonel K posted:

Art Nalls is the first private Sea Harrier Owner, perhaps one day you could be no.2?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVcL1gFnJMc

300 gallons of fuel for 14 minutes flying sounds like it could get expensive fast.

LOL THat's awesom1 [sic]

I've started building one in virtual space (Autodesk <3) but I don't have enough work space to build a real jet. Maybe someday.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

rscott posted:

http://boeing.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=13&cat=8

1980x1020 You might be able to print from that.

You can try downloading rasterbator. Turn up the resolution and use the office's color printer!

Ridge_Runner_5
May 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Several years ago I worked in a summer camp, and we used rasterbator to good effect to dress up the walls of the classrooms.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
(A replica) P-51 has gone down in Queensland, Australia killing the pilot.

Video in the link:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-11-03/aviation-community-in-shock-after-light-plane-crash/4351542

quote:

On Saturday 52-year-old Terry Kronk, a pilot with more than 15 years experience, was killed when his light plane crashed at Helidon Spa in the Lockyer Valley, west of Brisbane.

Mr Kronk's replica mustang, which he built himself, came down seconds after taking off from the Emu Gully airstrip about 10am AEST.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Nov 3, 2012

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I don't know how to link to facebook statuses, but if you aren't following the Bugatti 100p project, they just showed prototypes for a 1/32 scale model they're going to start marketing.

oh, and they're building a replica Bugatti 100p replica too.

http://www.facebook.com/TheBugatti100pProject

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
I've decided to go hellaflush with aircraft tyres.

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
The last three times I've tried to rent the local 172 from my FBO i've had to cancel for weather, TFR's or maintenance so yesterday I said gently caress it and realized a lifelong dream.

My new toy :dance:

Its a 67 150G with 3900 hours total and 1190 on the engine with newish chrome cylinders. No more being at the mercy of an FBO flight schedule!!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Holy poo poo you glorious bastard.

Drop in and see me sometime at YQL.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
Congratulations! It looks terrific, expect to be flying a lot more hours this year!

What is the instrument panel like? I had one of my more interesting flight lessons in IMC in a 152, where it was snowing around us and the ADF (vor u/s) lost the plot. On landing the engine died rolling out leaving us on the runway for about five minutes trying to get it started again so we could taxi in.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Concour! Need panel and interior pics STAT!

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
The panel is pretty basic, not even a nav radio. The com radio is badass as hell though. It's an Icom with GPS frequency link, organic LED display and ten channel memory/pre set. If I sell my Land Rover I'm going to add a Garmin GNS 430 and a Glide slope/localizer head. Right now it just has a King KI208 VOR head which is still pretty nice. I thought about changing the tail # to N183CS but I don't want to repaint it. Maybe in ten years or so. After I pick it up this weekend and take it to it's new airport I'm going to spend the weekend detailing it from top to bottom and wingtip to wingtip. Speaking of wingtips, it has those badass droop Horton Stol tips which I love.

I'm not sure why the tach read 1800rpm with the engine off, but it didn't do it when I inspected the plane. It was in the middle of Annual when the pics were taken so I hope it was just a maintenance thing.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
That is a good-looking airplane. Congrats on your new ride.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
Looks great, Keeping it light should help performance. I must admit I like the 430 in mine and find it very convenient, however when the radio side of it failed the repair bill wasn't very pleasant. What are your plans for it?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I love 150s. 40° of flap is great for making the first turn-off. :clint:

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
With Horton tips you should be able to land on the piano keys :11tea:

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006
A whole new rainbow of pain!
I know nothing about planes besides what I read in this thread. That looks like a honey of a personal aircraft. Fly it well and I'll live vicariously through you.

If its not too personal to ask, what does a small craft like that cost? And besides the initial price what does it cost to maintain and fly something like that?

I ask because owning a small plane is something I've always dreamt of yet don't imagine ever being able to accomplishe.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

N183CS posted:

I'm not sure why the tach read 1800rpm with the engine off, but it didn't do it when I inspected the plane. It was in the middle of Annual when the pics were taken so I hope it was just a maintenance thing.
That's probably the most bare-rear end panel I've seen since I was a kid but that makes it more awesome!

Check your PMs dude. :clint:

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Nathan Explosion posted:

If its not too personal to ask, what does a small craft like that cost? And besides the initial price what does it cost to maintain and fly something like that?

I ask because owning a small plane is something I've always dreamt of yet don't imagine ever being able to accomplishe.

I'd be shocked if he paid more than 25k for that airplane.

https://www.barnstormers.com or trade a plane and look at Cessna and Piper brands to get an idea of GA prices.

http://www.trade-a-plane.com/search...s-seq=4&s-lvl=0

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Nov 5, 2012

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
By the way that was in no means an attempt to critize his airplane. I for one, think it's absolutely excellent.

I too am so tired of flight school's and their drat schedules. The thought of even calling them makes me absolutely anxious.

I wish N183CS all the luck in the world with his baby.

What I really wanted to do, was emphasize that is is completely possible for an average man to own an airplane either by himself, or in partnership with another pilot.

Go after your dreams and get that airplane instead of buying a 35k SUV!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Chatting with a buddy of mine at work this AM (he's a private pilot too) and he said he actually had a 67 150 as well. Really liked it, but he said the airworthiness directives just about killed him. Seemed like every few years he basically rebuilt the plane. I'm sure there was a bit of hyperbole there but he said he really liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Captain Apollo posted:

Go after your dreams and get that airplane instead of buying a 35k SUV!

Hard sell to the wife tho.