Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Hydrocodone posted:

Moon is a movie that is cool.

There are also several homages to 2001: A Space Odyssey, beyond just the HAL/GERTY parallel. The first time you see Sam, he's hairy (like an ape). The last time you see him, he has colors reflecting off his helmet (like Dave).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Wreck It Ralph had a lot of little references here and there. Many sound effects were pulled from games, and the graffiti on one wall said "All Your Base Are Belong To Us." I spent the first thirty minutes only half paying attention to the actual story.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians
Just caught one when watching Die Hard With A Vengeance for the umpteenth time. When Willis and Jackson are walking out of the precinct, Bruce Willis says he's working on a fat suspension, to which Sam Jackson says something to the effect of "that sucks". Willis replies with "could be worse, could be sitting around smoking cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo". This was the exact line from the song "Flowers on the Wall" that Willis' character Butch was singing in Pulp Fiction (released the previous year) before the infamous "gimp" scene. I like the subtle implication that these may have happened in the same universe, and it makes whatever happens to Willis' character in DHWAV seem tame by comparison...

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Friend posted:

Wreck It Ralph had a lot of little references here and there. Many sound effects were pulled from games, and the graffiti on one wall said "All Your Base Are Belong To Us." I spent the first thirty minutes only half paying attention to the actual story.

When Ralph first gets to Grand Central, to his left is graffiti that reads "AERITH LIVES!"

DJ Touchinbutts
Apr 26, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

When Ralph first gets to Grand Central, to his left is graffiti that reads "AERITH LIVES!"

I also caught one that said "Sheng Long was here!"

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

Heck for most people these days they wouldn't even know the original "Frodo Lives!" graffiti.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'm sure everyone here knows that Alfred Hitchcock is famous for appearing in cameos in almost all of his films, but in Lifeboat, the entire movie is mostly just the actors in the boat adrift at sea. Hitchcock's cameo comes when one castaway is reading a newspaper. He's a 'before' model in a 'before and after' weight loss ad.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm sure everyone here knows that Alfred Hitchcock is famous for appearing in cameos in almost all of his films, but in Lifeboat, the entire movie is mostly just the actors in the boat adrift at sea. Hitchcock's cameo comes when one castaway is reading a newspaper. He's a 'before' model in a 'before and after' weight loss ad.

Probably my all time favorite Hitchcock cameo.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

BiggerBoat posted:

I seem to remember that when Gus Van Sant filmed the Psycho remake he employed a Hitchcock impersonator to recreate the cameo from the original. Does anyone know if this is true?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

apsouthern posted:

I seem to remember that when Gus Van Sant filmed the Psycho remake he employed a Hitchcock impersonator to recreate the cameo from the original. Does anyone know if this is true?

According to IMDB, it is:

IMDB Psycho '98 Trivia posted:

Gus Van Sant: talking to someone looking just like Alfred Hitchcock, in the beginning of the movie when Marion Crane enters the office after her lunch break. In the original version of Psycho, Hitchcock had a cameo in the same scene.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
In Skyfall, there's a scene where Bond ponders a painting of a steam ship towing an old ship of the line (a sail-powered warship) into harbor, symbolizing the inevitable fate of all things to be surpassed and replaced. There's a lot said in the movie about how Bond's "old-school" ground-pounding gun-blasting method of espionage is now dated, and how Bond himself is aging out of commission.

At the end of the movie in M's office, there's a painting above the mantle: a row of ships arrayed in a line of battle, under a glorious blaze of sail. :britain:

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!

Piedmon Sama posted:

In Skyfall, there's a scene where Bond ponders a painting of a steam ship towing an old ship of the line (a sail-powered warship) into harbor, symbolizing the inevitable fate of all things to be surpassed and replaced. There's a lot said in the movie about how Bond's "old-school" ground-pounding gun-blasting method of espionage is now dated, and how Bond himself is aging out of commission.

At the end of the movie in M's office, there's a painting above the mantle: a row of ships arrayed in a line of battle, under a glorious blaze of sail. :britain:

This right here. I pointed that out to my friends after we got out of the theater and none of them understood why I thought that was really awesome.

Chicken Biscuits
Oct 17, 2008
I watched Silent Hill 3D the day it came out, and the ending was great, although maybe not subtle to those who have played most of the games. Travis from Silent Hill: Origins picking up Heather and Vincent in his semi-truck, and then Murphy from Silent Hill: Downpour traveling into Silent Hill on the prison bus. New movies in the future, perhaps?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Here's one I'm not sure about, but if it holds up then I like it a lot. In Falling Down, the breakdown in D-FENS' relationship with his wife is repeatedly talked around but never about. When she's discussing why she's afraid with the cop who came to her home, she says something like "he never hit me... not exactly", and there are several mentions of something violent happening that precipitated their divorce.

My theory is that he killed their dog. Their house in Venice has a "Beware of Dog" sign and the home movies he watches have a dog in them, but as I recall we never see it anywhere but that video.

Now that I've typed all this it doesn't seem that amazing, but I like it because it adds depth and story to a character that I already think is really interesting.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
I was just watching Megamind because I got a wild hair to do so and it's a cute movie anyway. Early on, Megamind is bantering with Metroman and says he's shaking in his custom baby seal-leather boots. You know, because only a really, really bad guy would have boots made from baby seals, right? Later on, toward the end of the movie, you get to see the bottom of his shoes and the brand name/logo on the sole is SEALZ, with a cute little seal picture. It's really quick, but a nice detail I thought they added.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
One of my favorite little touches in The Dark Knight is that when the Joker raids Bruce's benefit for Harvey, he's waving a shotgun around- one that looks remarkably similar to the one he took for the mob bank employee in the opening scene.

Okay that seems kind of lame in retrospect, whatever, but I think it's a neat little nod to continuity :colbert:

nipperi
Nov 1, 2011

Chard posted:

Here's one I'm not sure about, but if it holds up then I like it a lot. In Falling Down, the breakdown in D-FENS' relationship with his wife is repeatedly talked around but never about. When she's discussing why she's afraid with the cop who came to her home, she says something like "he never hit me... not exactly", and there are several mentions of something violent happening that precipitated their divorce.

My theory is that he killed their dog. Their house in Venice has a "Beware of Dog" sign and the home movies he watches have a dog in them, but as I recall we never see it anywhere but that video.

Now that I've typed all this it doesn't seem that amazing, but I like it because it adds depth and story to a character that I already think is really interesting.

He's actually petting the said dog when watching the video, and the dog shows up playing with the kid a few times before that.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
I forget, is it sounds like punches and stuff or just screams? Because with how his character is portrayed, he doesn't get his first taste of actual violence until the movie starts out. He may just be the yelly, break-things type.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?
In Wreck-It Ralph, in the climax of the movie, Fix-It Felix Jr. gets a subtle badass moment.

Earlier on, it's established that his golden magic hammer fixes things. This is thrown into sharp relief when he's thrown into the Fungeon in Sugar Rush. He tries to break out by hitting the bars to his cell with his hammer... only to see them get stronger and thicker.

In the climax, he, Calhoun, and Vanellope are staring down an army of bullet-proof Cy-Bugs. Then Calhoun runs out of ammo. As she and Felix try to protect Vanellope from the Cy-Bugs, Felix pulls out his hammer, clearly intending to fight the Bugs off.

He knows exactly how useless it will be, but he's going to go down fighting anyway.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.

Jay 2K Winger posted:

In Wreck-It Ralph, in the climax of the movie, Fix-It Felix Jr. gets a subtle badass moment.

Earlier on, it's established that his golden magic hammer fixes things. This is thrown into sharp relief when he's thrown into the Fungeon in Sugar Rush. He tries to break out by hitting the bars to his cell with his hammer... only to see them get stronger and thicker.

In the climax, he, Calhoun, and Vanellope are staring down an army of bullet-proof Cy-Bugs. Then Calhoun runs out of ammo. As she and Felix try to protect Vanellope from the Cy-Bugs, Felix pulls out his hammer, clearly intending to fight the Bugs off.

He knows exactly how useless it will be, but he's going to go down fighting anyway.

I caught that too! That movie is fantastic. I love how they make him out to actually be a really competent character. I was afraid they'd go the gullible simpleton route that "30 Rock" does with Jack McBrayer.

Hypothetically, it could also be so he could heal himself and Calhoun during the fight as the hammer has been shown to do, but I immediately jumped on the self defense angle too.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Speaking of Wreck-It Ralph, I also really liked how a bunch of the classic-era arcade characters (The Nicelanders, the bartender in Tapper) have slightly jerky animations, as if frames have been left out or something like that. Really neat way to give them a retro feel without making their models all blocky.

Also, not a subtle moment, but the romance between Felix and Calhoun was totally unexpected and hilarious.

Edit: Oh, just thought of one from Toy Story 3: Big Baby is covered in a bunch of little ballpoint pen scribbles and drawings, including a teardrop under his left eye, making them seem very reminiscent of prison tattoos. Not only does this add to the character's strangeness, it's brilliantly subtle foreshadowing of the depiction of Sunnyside as a prison and the toys' escape attempt.

In fact, in the main area where are heroes are locked up, the silhouettes of the wooden bead mazes in front of the windows are very reminiscent of barbed wire...

I love Pixar

Nikaer Drekin has a new favorite as of 05:33 on Nov 26, 2012

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
*aagh, sorry sorry sorry, quoted when I meant to edit*

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx
Also, in the beginning of Wreck-It Ralph, when they're in BadAnon - whenever Clyde is talking, he does the pacing animation he does in the center box while waiting to go out to chase Pac Man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVAD3LQmxbw&t=0m22s

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?
More Wreck-It Ralph, more graffiti. This might have been mentioned before, but if it has, gently caress it.

Obviously, much has been said about the video game references in the graffiti adorning the walls of Game Central Station, but there's one that caught my eye.

This one. A clear reference to the OBEY graffiti, and it's so subtle and pushed off to one side in the one scene it's shown that one probably wouldn't notice it.

Appropriately enough, where is this graffiti spotted? In the terminal for Sugar Rush.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Piedmon Sama posted:

I was expecting to see one of the new modern Astons in the film, then we them going from a new Jag to the DB5. :3: Definitely ties into that theme.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Jay 2K Winger posted:

More Wreck-It Ralph, more graffiti. This might have been mentioned before, but if it has, gently caress it.

Obviously, much has been said about the video game references in the graffiti adorning the walls of Game Central Station, but there's one that caught my eye.

This one. A clear reference to the OBEY graffiti, and it's so subtle and pushed off to one side in the one scene it's shown that one probably wouldn't notice it.

Appropriately enough, where is this graffiti spotted? In the terminal for Sugar Rush.

I spotted a few graffiti references and nods including one that says "AERITH LIVES!"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One thing I like about the first Men in Black movie is how misleading the entrance exam is. They start off with a written test but its not so much the actual test itself but how its completed. They show all the military guys having trouble marking the paper but Jay thinks outside the box and just moves the coffee table over to his chair. Then there's the shooting range where you aren't supposed to just shoot the first alien you see, which would be counter productive for an agency that deals with human/alien relations.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Now that I think about it, maybe it's not so much thinking outside the box, but thinking outside society. It ties into K's monologue about one person being smart but people as a whole being dumb herd animals.

It's not that J is the only one who thought to move the table, it's that he's the only one who dared to. When he gets up and drags the table over, everybody stops and stares at him, but he ignores them because he wants to finish the test. I think that moment, much more than his shooting gallery performance, is what got him into the MiB.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

RandomFerret posted:

Now that I think about it, maybe it's not so much thinking outside the box, but thinking outside society. It ties into K's monologue about one person being smart but people as a whole being dumb herd animals.

It's not that J is the only one who thought to move the table, it's that he's the only one who dared to. When he gets up and drags the table over, everybody stops and stares at him, but he ignores them because he wants to finish the test. I think that moment, much more than his shooting gallery performance, is what got him into the MiB.

It was when he offered them a spot on the table, MiB is a team oriented organization.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

muscles like this? posted:

One thing I like about the first Men in Black movie is how misleading the entrance exam is. They start off with a written test but its not so much the actual test itself but how its completed. They show all the military guys having trouble marking the paper but Jay thinks outside the box and just moves the coffee table over to his chair. Then there's the shooting range where you aren't supposed to just shoot the first alien you see, which would be counter productive for an agency that deals with human/alien relations.

One of the other things I like about that movie is the credit sequence. A bug runs around and gets squashed and it's funny... which is the plot of the entire movie.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Speaking of credit sequences:

In the opening credits of Napoleon Dynamite, most of the actors have their names written on a food that their character eats later in the film:

Aaron Ruell (Kip - nachos)
Tina Majorino (Deb - PB&J)
Efren Ramirez (Pedro - corn dog)
Jon Gries (Uncle Rico - steak)

Jon Heder famously eats tater tots, but he gets a special title card in the form of wallet ID cards. The plate of tots went to Fox Searchlight. Diedrich Bader doesn't eat anything in the movie, so he gets one of those origami throwing stars.

I think it's a neat touch that you might not pick up on until after multiple viewings.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

My two favourite things about that scene are things no one else has mentioned yet, where J laughs, Z asks him why and he responds that he finds it really funny that the guy is super excited but has no idea why he's here, he then says 'but...ya'll ain't laughing, though...' and trails off awkwardly, at which point it cuts to K, who is laughing behind the glass.

That and Z remarking that all the other recruits, with their fatal lack of self awareness or common sense are 'everything we've come to expect from years of government training'.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
The little interactions between Tom and Edie in A History of Violence is full of subtle little interactions that tell far more about the characters than their words. The culmination is the sex scene on the staircase, where Joey fully emerges to her for the first time and engages in an act that is essentially rape, but Edie clearly enjoys 'cheating' on Tom with Joey. But the second Tom comes back and tries to lovingly stroke her cheek, she disgustedy abandons him on the stairs with the choice to go up and pursue her as Tom, or go down and face his crimes as Joey. It also helps solidify Tom's decision to travel to Phillie and face his past, since Joey has become just as much a threat to his perfect everyman life as his mob boss broheim.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Dan Didio posted:

My two favourite things about that scene are things no one else has mentioned yet, where J laughs, Z asks him why and he responds that he finds it really funny that the guy is super excited but has no idea why he's here, he then says 'but...ya'll ain't laughing, though...' and trails off awkwardly, at which point it cuts to K, who is laughing behind the glass.

That and Z remarking that all the other recruits, with their fatal lack of self awareness or common sense are 'everything we've come to expect from years of government training'.

All of this has been really interesting. Has anyone done a write up of Men in Black before in CineD?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well, the problem with Men in Black is that it kind of falls apart by the end because the original ending tested poorly. So everything involving the "galaxy" got kind of thrown together through last minute reshoots and rewrites.

Oddly enough a similar thing happened with MiB2 which is why they go from looking for a thing to all of a sudden looking for a person.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Well, the problem with Men in Black is that it kind of falls apart by the end because the original ending tested poorly. So everything involving the "galaxy" got kind of thrown together through last minute reshoots and rewrites.

Oddly enough a similar thing happened with MiB2 which is why they go from looking for a thing to all of a sudden looking for a person.

What was the original ending?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Originally the ending was a little more talky and political. The two aliens in the restaurant were different factions and were negotiating a peace treaty that "Edgar" didn't want to happen. The ending also didn't involve any fight scene between J, K and "Edgar." They were supposed to all sit down and talk out their problems, this scene was originally going to use an animatronic version of the bug instead of the CG one used in the movie.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I dont have any idea how that wouldve worked at all

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Originally the ending was a little more talky and political. The two aliens in the restaurant were different factions and were negotiating a peace treaty that "Edgar" didn't want to happen. The ending also didn't involve any fight scene between J, K and "Edgar." They were supposed to all sit down and talk out their problems, this scene was originally going to use an animatronic version of the bug instead of the CG one used in the movie.

Well that's unequivocally terrible compared to the ending we got so go test audiences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Maybe it was supposed to be a humourous anticlimax. We think they're gearing up for a big showdown and instead they sit down for an existentialist diplomatic debate with a giant mass-murdering space roach. Once you get all the sci-fi stuff out of the way, 90% of the job is paperwork.