Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Is just me or the Warrior Maidenīs resurrection skill is kinda broken?

Sometimes ot will give me "There is no target for this ability" even though there is. For example: I had some berserkers killed on turn 1. At turn 2, I try to revive then with the skill: "no target" (resurrection is supposed to work if the troops were killed in the last 2 turns)
Most of the time it works, but sometimes it just dont and I cant understand why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

Sometimes ot will give me "There is no target for this ability" even though there is. For example: I had some berserkers killed on turn 1. At turn 2, I try to revive then with the skill: "no target" (resurrection is supposed to work if the troops were killed in the last 2 turns)
Most of the time it works, but sometimes it just dont and I cant understand why

Some people on the 1C boards are speculating that it's supposed to be that it can resurrect lost soldiers from a troop that hasn't moved since last losing guys.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Elias_Maluco posted:

Gift of Odin seems to only stop one counter attack too, when I give them a 2nd turn with my Jarls people start countering me.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Darkrenown posted:

Gift of Odin seems to only stop one counter attack too, when I give them a 2nd turn with my Jarls people start countering me.

Yes, I've noticed that sometimes it just doesn't work at all. My first attack of a battle and I attack some zombies but they still counter attack and kill a huge amount of my troops is pretty annoying.
Perhaps the tooltip is wrong though and it's a random chance that you can't be countered, rather than always.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Pumpkinreaper posted:

Some people on the 1C boards are speculating that it's supposed to be that it can resurrect lost soldiers from a troop that hasn't moved since last losing guys.

Makes sense. Than the description is wrong.

EDIT:

Darkrenown posted:

Ive noticed this too, sometimes they do get counterattacked by low level units.

They are still the best viking unit, though. Too bad I didnt got many of then to use on my game.

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 5, 2012

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Demonologists + Phantom is still brokenly good. Welp.

Just wish it didn't take so long to finally get to Demonis.

Also I love the tie-ins to the other KB games.

Oh and regarding the Guilford betrayal thing - yes it's glaringly obvious BUT when you give him the Dragon Tear you have to fight him immediately, so be ready for that (my army was somewhat crippled from the dragon you kill to get the Tear) .

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

Makes sense. Than the description is wrong.

EDIT:

Ive noticed this too, sometimes they do get counterattacked by low level units.

They are still the best viking unit, though. Too bad I didnt got many of then to use on my game.

Yeah viking as a whole do not seem prolific enough to ever rely on for an army later on. think i have around 3000 leadership worth of them in my current viking-class game and that is simply not enough when you've got 20k leadership to spread around. On the plus side this game has given me the power army of rune mages/paladins. Because hot drat is that overpowered as hell. Level up your rune magic, throw a runic word on the mages, and create a giant army of paladins to res and destroy your foes. (In one turn because rune mages create paladins paladins give second wind to rune mages and rune mages create more paladins)

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I call this: "gently caress You, Giant Spider"

Yeah it's kind of cheating using those units - although the Leadership is legit - but the fight is a piss-take, so I don't feel bad.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING
Has anyone here had the problem where the game crashes all the time during on-hit animations in fights? I sent an email to 1c about it, but I'm curious if there's a known fix for it or not (they're not particularly responsive in their customer support).

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
How does this compare to Armoured Princess? I played HoMM2 fanatically back in the day. I made two attempts at playing AP on medium difficult and both times I hit a point where I could no longer replenish my army enough to take on the remaining enemies. Even with sneaking around and picking up treasures and stuff and save spamming.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Everything seemed to be rolling along fine, but just last night the game crashed twice on me and it had been a little while since my last save. That, plus all the bug reports make me think I'll shelf this for a couple of weeks while things get smoothed out and then come back to it.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I loving love this game I really do, but a lot of games got released recently that I really like. So I'm going to shelf this one a bit in the hopes of some more patches ( although the bugs, imbalances and crazy rear end typos do add to the bizzare enjoyment)

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Nov 6, 2012

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Pocket Billiards posted:

How does this compare to Armoured Princess? I played HoMM2 fanatically back in the day. I made two attempts at playing AP on medium difficult and both times I hit a point where I could no longer replenish my army enough to take on the remaining enemies. Even with sneaking around and picking up treasures and stuff and save spamming.

Is much easier.

AP is drat hard at early game, right after you leave the first island. Than it gets a lot easier around mid-game. Perhaps you should try it again, really, because apart from that is the best in the series, IMHO.

But WotN is also a great game, and it does have a pretty gentler difficult curve.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Pocket Billiards posted:

I'm not terribly far into the game but there's definitely a lot less sneaking about than in AP, I've been able to kill most enemies each time I go to a new island.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Srice posted:

I'm not terribly far into the game but there's definitely a lot less sneaking about than in AP, I've been able to kill most enemies each time I go to a new island.

I'm feeling a bit lost at the moment. The enemies in the wastes are definitely the ones I should be fighting, they're a mix of "weak" and "strong" which is how it should be. But all the bosses there, all the ends of quests, are still "deadly" and now I don't really know what to do!
The amounts of troops they have seem loving bonkers too. We're talking more stacks than you're actually allowed to have.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Guess I'm buying this then.

I got really addicted to AP, but I never got past Monero/Montero/Monaro or whatever it was called.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Elias_Maluco posted:

Is much easier.

AP is drat hard at early game, right after you leave the first island. Than it gets a lot easier around mid-game. Perhaps you should try it again, really, because apart from that is the best in the series, IMHO.

But WotN is also a great game, and it does have a pretty gentler difficult curve.

I dunno, once you reach Demonis the tedium level skyrockets a bit.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Kanos posted:

I dunno, once you reach Demonis the tedium level skyrockets a bit.

One of the things I liked in AP was going to an island, finishing it and then heading off somewhere else. It doesn't really work like that in Warriors, which is a shame.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I got the first(well, revised first) three King's Bounty games on a Steam sale a long time ago. What are the enhancements that Crossworlds makes to Armored Princess?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

prometheusbound2 posted:

I got the first(well, revised first) three King's Bounty games on a Steam sale a long time ago. What are the enhancements that Crossworlds makes to Armored Princess?

It adds two standalone campaigns (which are pretty rubbish), it adds a big long Orc related quest line to AP - which is fun - and then the usual extra abilities, spells, etc etc.
There's no point to playing AP without it if you have Crossworlds.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Update on my Raven woes, he did eventually write Gift of Stone in my book. I don't remember asking him to, but whatever. I had him start writing Call Colossus, a bit later both Ancient Knowlage and Call Colossus turned up in there, so I really have no idea what is going on, but I got some Black Dragons from Call Colossus so I am happy.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Taear posted:

One of the things I liked in AP was going to an island, finishing it and then heading off somewhere else. It doesn't really work like that in Warriors, which is a shame.

It kind of works like that in the mid and end-games, though there are funneled choke points(Isterreng, Demonis) that choke off freedom a bit. The unit variety towards endgame is kind of poo poo, too. It's still a great game, but AP's freedom was superior.

Krolm
Nov 10, 2004

friendly and non-threatening

Bleak Gremlin
So there's this achievement for leveling 4 valkyries to level 3 before heading into Demonis, yet Prince whatshisname sends you there before you can even get the fourth valkyrie? What gives? Or does that portal in Greenwort he send you through not count?

Another question: where do I get Empty Eyes a ship the second time (after he stole the flagship)?

Game is really fun despite the bugginess!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Krolm posted:

So there's this achievement for leveling 4 valkyries to level 3 before heading into Demonis, yet Prince whatshisname sends you there before you can even get the fourth valkyrie? What gives? Or does that portal in Greenwort he send you through not count?

Another question: where do I get Empty Eyes a ship the second time (after he stole the flagship)?

Game is really fun despite the bugginess!

The fourth valkyrie is in Verlon.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Taear posted:

I'm feeling a bit lost at the moment. The enemies in the wastes are definitely the ones I should be fighting, they're a mix of "weak" and "strong" which is how it should be. But all the bosses there, all the ends of quests, are still "deadly" and now I don't really know what to do!
The amounts of troops they have seem loving bonkers too. We're talking more stacks than you're actually allowed to have.

You had to deal with that in previous KB games. I actually consider it something that makes fights easier, usually in fights like that the stacks are smaller, however your rage abilities will still hit them for full damage which means that rage scales very well to more stacks in a fight.

Give them a shot, play defensively, use rage etc. You will probably find that they're not as tough as the stack description states. They are not the most accurate things to begin with.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Sloober posted:

You had to deal with that in previous KB games. I actually consider it something that makes fights easier, usually in fights like that the stacks are smaller, however your rage abilities will still hit them for full damage which means that rage scales very well to more stacks in a fight.

Give them a shot, play defensively, use rage etc. You will probably find that they're not as tough as the stack description states. They are not the most accurate things to begin with.

Also, look for enemies with large stacks of low level units, which are vunerable to a lot of dirty tricks. For example: using fear and that coins rage skill, you can put two low level stacks out of action in the same turn, while you concentrate your power on the other units.

Is always best when you can concentrate all your attacks in one or a few stacks without having to worry about being attacked by the rest, so any skills/spells that can cripple stacks and prevent then from attacking or reaching you is very useful. Things like slow, fear, trap, the coin skill, hypnosis etc.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Krolm posted:

You don't have to go through the portal because he opens it. Just get some leveling done THEN step through.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
I don't like how the game pretty much only allow you to use Viking and Human troops. Sure there are a few Dwarven units here and there but thats about all I ever see, just Vikings and Humans. The other two games you have to run around and keep changing your troops when they run out. Then again I still haven't gotten that Demonis portal open yet, I hope I'm not very far into the game yet.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Velveteen posted:

I don't like how the game pretty much only allow you to use Viking and Human troops. Sure there are a few Dwarven units here and there but thats about all I ever see, just Vikings and Humans. The other two games you have to run around and keep changing your troops when they run out. Then again I still haven't gotten that Demonis portal open yet, I hope I'm not very far into the game yet.

I had a pretty good stint with an elf army for a while, but switched to demons.

Probably gonna go to a cheesy res combo soon since it's getting to the point where you fight chains of obnoxious heroes.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Velveteen posted:

Talk to more NPCs. Once you get to Greenwort you can get access to Merlassar(elves everywhere) and the Freedom Islands(Orcs everywhere). If you like demons, wait until Demonis. If you like dwarves, they don't become easily accessible until post-Demonis. If you like lizardmen or undead, get hosed.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Kanos posted:

Talk to more NPCs. Once you get to Greenwort you can get access to Merlassar(elves everywhere) and the Freedom Islands(Orcs everywhere). If you like demons, wait until Demonis. If you like dwarves, they don't become easily accessible until post-Demonis. If you like lizardmen or undead, get hosed.

How do you get a map to the freedom islands? I've combed almost everywhere on Greenwort/Verlon/Merlassar/Arlania and have finished the plot on almost all those places (aside from the portal chain).

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The old fisherman on the coast of Greenwort gives you the map to them, I believe.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Kanos posted:

The old fisherman on the coast of Greenwort gives you the map to them, I believe.

He does indeed. You have to talk down every line for him and you'll get the freedom island map. I've not got the maps for Merlassar though, where is that?

quote:

I found my dragon rage abilities a lot more powerful than the viking ones. I don't feel like it does enough and when you can go re-fight that Soothsayer you fought on Istereng and he has a stack of 1800 undead spiders that oneshot all of my stacks it sort of makes me wonder what to do!

LIMBO KING
May 3, 2006

Tavern in Arlania will give you the Merlassar map.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Taear posted:

He does indeed. You have to talk down every line for him and you'll get the freedom island map. I've not got the maps for Merlassar though, where is that?

I found my dragon rage abilities a lot more powerful than the viking ones. I don't feel like it does enough and when you can go re-fight that Soothsayer you fought on Istereng and he has a stack of 1800 undead spiders that oneshot all of my stacks it sort of makes me wonder what to do!

Either slow it/block its path and plink it down with ranged or cast phantom/summon something expendable to take the counter attack, THEN murder the hell out of it.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
I found an item from one of the shops called Mark of the Betrayer which "increases damage of soldiers by 20%." What are soldiers? Is there a unit called soldier? Does it mean human units? Or all units?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Pretty sure that will bump knights, swordsmen, guardsmen and commanders.

Taear posted:

Are you not using rage abilities much? Because the current ones are seriously way more powerful than the dragon ones by a fair margin. The only one I actually miss is dragon dive because it hit everything everywhere for respectable damage. Use the treasure ability to damage/remove it's turn and that stack of spiders is nothing.

Sloober fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Nov 7, 2012

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I'm too afraid to use the treasure rage ability since it causes the enemy's turn to hang almost all the time. Think it's done that when I took the stupid range upgrade to see what it did (I guess it's the lure range?)

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Hmm i haven't had an issue with it hanging up. (Not that i'm saying there isn't one). Admittedly I have only taken damage, level and rage cost reduction upgrades for it. I wouldn't worry about range unless you want to use it as a lure. All you should worry about is rage cost/damage and level range. Lifetime isn't even important. The ability itself is tailor made for significantly reducing the threat a stack poses though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Sloober posted:

Hmm i haven't had an issue with it hanging up. (Not that i'm saying there isn't one). Admittedly I have only taken damage, level and rage cost reduction upgrades for it. I wouldn't worry about range unless you want to use it as a lure. All you should worry about is rage cost/damage and level range. Lifetime isn't even important. The ability itself is tailor made for significantly reducing the threat a stack poses though.

In fact lure range actually works against it - you usually want to shut down a specific stack, not the single skeleton on the other end of the map that happens to get first initiative...

• Locked thread