Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starhawk
Mar 28, 2003

I am leaking dangerous cargo.
loving hell ya. Just set a high score of about 425m on Medieval Madness. Not exactly top of the leaderboard, but by far the best I've ever done. Also completed Battle for the Kingdom for the first time on the same run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Beelzebozo posted:

Bobby King said an a recent interview that FarSight have acquired a Cactus Canyon and are in the process of disassembling it for digitization. God drat. I really hope they hire more resources and do whatever else they need to do to get their house in order on the nuts and bolts of software development. Because content-wise, they are doing god's work here. I didn't think I would ever get to play CC, and now I kinda sorta will.

There's a Cactus Canyon at the Pinball Hall of Fame in Vegas. It's a lot of fun, this will be a good table.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Beelzebozo posted:

Bobby King said an a recent interview that FarSight have acquired a Cactus Canyon and are in the process of disassembling it for digitization. God drat. I really hope they hire more resources and do whatever else they need to do to get their house in order on the nuts and bolts of software development. Because content-wise, they are doing god's work here. I didn't think I would ever get to play CC, and now I kinda sorta will.

Oh, hell yes. I would throw Kickstarter money at them again for this and I have an Xbox so I know there's no guarantee here, is there? :unsmith:

I remember playing an extremely rudimentary CC mockup someone did in Visual Pinball over ten years ago. There were no 3DS models (the train on the ramp was just a grey rectangle), the layout and playfield/decal images probably just came from pictures online, but it was the best they could do and they had the ROM for VPinMAME and I figured it'd be the only chance I ever got to play it, so.

I would love a chance to legit play this digitally. It is a hell of a lot of fun and if they hadn't dropped it for Pinball 2000, people would be mentioning it in the same "yeah, I used to play it non-stop in the arcade" tones as Medieval Madness.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Anyone else going to John Dayhuff's Annual Pinball Party in Battle Creek Michigan this Saturday?

For those not in the know it is an annual event he has at his house. He has 70+ pinball machines in his basement & garage area. He is one of the midwest pinball communities bigger collectors. He has been the auctioneer at the Pinball At the Zoo in Kalamazoo Mi for the last few years too so if you have been there you probably have seen him.

The event is an invite only event but if you are on Pinside or Alt.rec.pinball all you had to do was email him asking for an invite. He has been trying to grow it in numbers every year and has tournaments and stuff.

I will be there with a bunch of friends (a couple are goons) and was just wondering if any other goons are going.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Oh man that would be awesome to go to! I've attended the Michigan pinball expo the past 2 years. If you see the MiPinball guys there (Mick and Koz) tell em Derk says hello!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
New video up on Kickstarter (dunno if it's backers-only) showing some clips from the making of, and early footage of, the TPA version of Twilight Zone.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm trying to convince PA's Facebook guy that they forgot to light the PS3 versions of Elvira and Gofers. Can anyone here back me up and possibly take a screenshot?

Gofers should resemble this on the PS3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoD4_k3HjbI
but what I downloaded looks like the flat mobile version.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

The Kins posted:

New video up on Kickstarter (dunno if it's backers-only) showing some clips from the making of, and early footage of, the TPA version of Twilight Zone.

Nice, on the left of the video there is the Cactus Canyon and a Dr. Dude, when they're moving tables around right at the beginning. The one on the right side of the video, I think is Big Shot, and they still have Space Shuttle, wonder when that will come. Just like Farsight, they posted the video for Twilight Zone on the Star Trek Kickstarter.

Has Farsight said how they're going to handle the Kickstarter tables in the releases? Are the tables going to be a bit more for the people who didn't contribute, will they be the same price as a normal table pack, or do we just find out in November or when ever TZ is released?

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Here's a list of every table that Farsight has announced as coming to Pinball Arcade at some point:

code:
Black Hole
[Core Tables Pack]
Ripley's Believe It or Not!
[Core Tables Pack]
Tales of the Arabian Nights
[Core Tables Pack]
Theatre of Magic
[Core Tables Pack]
Medieval Madness
[DLC Tables Pack #1]
The Machine : Bride of Pin•Bot
[DLC Tables Pack #1]
Cirqus Voltaire
[DLC Tables Pack #2]
Funhouse
[DLC Tables Pack #2]
Gorgar
[DLC Tables Pack #3]
Monster Bash
[DLC Tables Pack #3]
Black Knight
[DLC Tables Pack #4]
Creature from the Black Lagoon
[DLC Tables Pack #4]
Harley-Davidson Third Edition
[DLC Tables Pack #5]
Taxi
[DLC Tables Pack #5]
Elvira and the Party Monsters
[DLC Tables Pack #6]
No Good Gofers!
[DLC Tables Pack #6]
Big Shot
[DLC Tables Pack #7]
Scared Stiff
[DLC Tables Pack #7]
The Twilight Zone
[DLC Premium Table #1]

Attack from Mars
Cactus Canyon
Dr. Dude
Firepower
Genie
Pin•Bot
Space Shuttle
Star Trek : The Next Generation
Victory
Whirlwind
So they have announced those tables, along with some others.

MarxCarl posted:

Has Farsight said how they're going to handle the Kickstarter tables in the releases? Are the tables going to be a bit more for the people who didn't contribute, will they be the same price as a normal table pack, or do we just find out in November or when ever TZ is released?

I was arguing with people on the pinball arcade forums about this. I said that they should be in a normal pack and if people who got the TZ table for free want the other table in the pack, they can buy it. Many other people said that people who didn't kickstart should pay between 5 and 20 dollars for a standalone TZ release. I said that if it's over 5 dollars by itself, Farsight will lose a lot of potential sales, mine included. These are people who say they put between 50 and 500 dollars into the kickstarter, so my opinion didn't really matter to them, I guess.

All those posts were deleted by one of the forum admins though, so I guess my thoughts weren't appreciated.

MichiganCubbie fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 5, 2012

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Yeah, I'm not sure I'd fork over any more cash for the kickstarter tables beyond what they are charging for the normal DLC packs.

Alcoholism
Nov 17, 2010

Android questions and gameplay questions:

- On Android, is there any way to set nudge to shake control by default, instead of touchscreen? I have to change it every time I play, and it's not a big deal but it would be nice to be able to set it.

- Is there a way to change shake sensitivity? My phone seems a little too eager to pick up nudges. I realize this is probably something I'd have to do with my hardware rather than with the program.

- On Medieval Madness, how does everyone go about hitting Merlin's saucer? This is one shot on the table I can't seem to do consistently - a trapped left flipper seems like the way to go, but it never seems to work. My most consistent method so far has been shooting the castle lock, and then hitting the ball into the saucer with the left flipped on the eject. If there's a better way I'd like to hear it!

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Alcoholism posted:

- On Medieval Madness, how does everyone go about hitting Merlin's saucer? This is one shot on the table I can't seem to do consistently - a trapped left flipper seems like the way to go, but it never seems to work. My most consistent method so far has been shooting the castle lock, and then hitting the ball into the saucer with the left flipped on the eject. If there's a better way I'd like to hear it!

Try aiming for the princess/dragon ramp at a time when you -really- don't want to hit the saucer, like when you have no royals lit and you know it's going to spit out a "lower drawbridge". That always seems to work for me.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
I thought the whole point of the Kickstarters were to fund tables that they wouldn't have been able to afford to license at normal dlc prices. I don't really think its fair to take the money and then crank the price up anyway.

Alcoholism
Nov 17, 2010

If they want to charge extra for Twilight Zone, they should at least include the extra "operator mode" stuff that they're starting to roll out.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

ImPureAwesome posted:

I thought the whole point of the Kickstarters were to fund tables that they wouldn't have been able to afford to license at normal dlc prices. I don't really think its fair to take the money and then crank the price up anyway.

That was what they originally said. I swear I read that in a release from Farsight, but I can't find any evidence of that statement now.

There's a guy on their forums named Pin Wiz who says that he isn't affiliated with Farsight, yet every single bit of leaked news comes from him. Farsight themselves don't really put out any information until like a week or less before they do something. Anyways, he says that they are probably looking at residual licensing fees, and that the kickstarter was for the upfront licensing costs. If this is true, I think it was really disingenuous to have said that the kickstarter was to cover licensing.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
If they could sell Whirlwind with a little USB fan that goes on top of my TV and plugs into my PS3, that would be loving perrrrrfect.

Starhawk
Mar 28, 2003

I am leaking dangerous cargo.

MichiganCubbie posted:

That was what they originally said. I swear I read that in a release from Farsight, but I can't find any evidence of that statement now.

There's a guy on their forums named Pin Wiz who says that he isn't affiliated with Farsight, yet every single bit of leaked news comes from him. Farsight themselves don't really put out any information until like a week or less before they do something. Anyways, he says that they are probably looking at residual licensing fees, and that the kickstarter was for the upfront licensing costs. If this is true, I think it was really disingenuous to have said that the kickstarter was to cover licensing.

Or Farsight have even less of an idea about they're doing than we thought, and didn't do all the research before throwing up a kickstarter.

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

Alcoholism posted:

If they want to charge extra for Twilight Zone, they should at least include the extra "operator mode" stuff that they're starting to roll out.
No way, that was the $100 reward in the kickstarter.

MichiganCubbie posted:

Anyways, he says that they are probably looking at residual licensing fees, and that the kickstarter was for the upfront licensing costs. If this is true, I think it was really disingenuous to have said that the kickstarter was to cover licensing.
They talked about this in the kickstarter:

quote:

[Q] Why don't you just give the licensors a share of the table sales? Wouldn't that work?
[A] Licensors (especially big companies like CBS) demand a large payment up front to make it worth their while to assign the army of lawyers who negotiate the license terms and draft the license agreement. They get a percentage of the sales as a license royalty as well!

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Captain Cool posted:

No way, that was the $100 reward in the kickstarter.

Did Farsight ever say that the operator menu was exclusive to backers? I thought they would eventually update all possible tables with them as DLC.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
What a bunch of assholes to want it priced higher for everyone else. It was a Kickstarter, not a loving eBay auction. I can't imagine they'll restrict the operator menu to only backers either. It was a bonus to make you feel good about backing the project. Again, you don't fund a Kickstarter for exclusive access to something.

Has Farsight commented on the No Good Gofers ramps? There was an update to that table not too long ago, and I was certain those ramps would be clear, but of course that wasn't changed. They've got several tables with clear ramps now so it can't be a technical issue. I mean I guess it can, what do I know, but it doesn't seem like it.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

FLX posted:

Did Farsight ever say that the operator menu was exclusive to backers? I thought they would eventually update all possible tables with them as DLC.

the Twilight Zone kickstarter page posted:

Most real-life pinball tables have an Operator's Menu that lets the operator change table settings (like the number of balls) and get diagnostic information about the table. Since the Pinball Arcade uses ROM-emulation to run the same code as the original table, our Operator's Menu will be identical to the one in real life. We'll have to enforce a rule that scores played on anything other than the default operator settings won't count for leaderboards, though! We have not decided if this feature will be available to purchase later. It seemed like a really cool way to reward our backers.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1067367405/pinball-arcade-the-twilight-zone

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
Ha! Nintendo are notorious for using that language. It means it most certainly will be available to purchase later because yo more income for work that's already been done.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

petewhitley posted:

What a bunch of assholes to want it priced higher for everyone else. It was a Kickstarter, not a loving eBay auction. I can't imagine they'll restrict the operator menu to only backers either. It was a bonus to make you feel good about backing the project. Again, you don't fund a Kickstarter for exclusive access to something.

There's this weird split between the people who comment on TPA's Facebook site and the people who are on TPA's forum. The people on Facebook are pretty stupid, and get pissed that Addams Family and Indiana Jones aren't out yet, and they want everything now. The people on the TPA forum are almost too smart for their own good, and apparently have way too much money for pinball, based on how many of them put in 500 dollars for TZ and TNG. They look down on other people for not doing that, and think that if you didn't do that, you don't deserve it.

I love the quote from this guy:

quote:

I hope it's at least $10, and here's why...

We already know that FarSight is going to continue to pursue tables using Kickstarters. If backers of those Kickstarters end up paying significantly more money for the basic table (which was a minimum of $20 on the Kickstarters so far), then that route will quickly become eroded by people waiting to buy the table until it's released. They have to do something to ensure that future Kickstarters will continue to be viable; I'm sure we all have one or two tables we know need a high-priced license.

It's an interesting rationale over there. Though, a lot of people are starting to rally around "Max price of 5 dollars or I'll have to think about it before eventually buying it."

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

MichiganCubbie posted:

I love the quote from this guy:

Do you fundamentally disagree with his logic? It seems pretty sound to me.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
They really shouldn't continue to do the Kickstarters. They've proven there is a market that is willing to buy the tables. They don't need tons of preorders to prove that anymore.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Beelzebozo posted:

Do you fundamentally disagree with his logic? It seems pretty sound to me.

His logic is sound, but the attitude of "charging more so that the kickstarters don't feel cheated" seems wrong to me. Kickstarter is about helping projects get off the ground, not getting the table a week before other people.

elf help book posted:

They really shouldn't continue to do the Kickstarters. They've proven there is a market that is willing to buy the tables. They don't need tons of preorders to prove that anymore.

The problem with not doing Kickstarters is that they would be passing the costs of licensing on to the normal consumer. $55,000 for TNG is a lot of money, and if they would have to raise the prices on them to make up the difference. I'm glad there are guys willing to put $500 into the pot, because that should hopefully keep the prices down for other people.

MichiganCubbie fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 5, 2012

Tasteful Bulge
Sep 5, 2003

It's down to you and me, you one-eyed freak.
If you're in the Orlando area, the Southern Pinball Festival is SUPPOSED to take place Nov 16, 17 and 18. Very little info so far, but this is the event I attended last year where I met Gary Stern.

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010

Tasteful Bulge posted:

If you're in the Orlando area, the Southern Pinball Festival is SUPPOSED to take place Nov 16, 17 and 18. Very little info so far, but this is the event I attended last year where I met Gary Stern.

The tournament there is on the PAPA circuit so you'll probably get some "name" players there.

http://www.southernpinballfestival.com/?page_id=7

Tasteful Bulge
Sep 5, 2003

DarthXaos posted:

The tournament there is on the PAPA circuit so you'll probably get some "name" players there.

http://www.southernpinballfestival.com/?page_id=7

Yeah, it was last year too. I hadn't played in a tournament in years, so I dropped a $10 qualifying fee for shits n giggles. I am REALLY rusty at physical pinball, so all three of my qualifiers were house games. Got to try out Transformers though... wasn't terribly impressed.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Tasteful Bulge posted:

Me and my dad already have plans to head out there and spend the whole day playing pinball. Can't wait!

Tasteful Bulge
Sep 5, 2003

mattfl posted:

Me and my dad already have plans to head out there and spend the whole day playing pinball. Can't wait!

Are you bringing your minicab? If you get up with a guy named Spencer Carey (he should be in the contact page) they'll most likely gladly give you guys free admission and a safe spot to set it up, even if you only want it display only.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Tasteful Bulge posted:

Are you bringing your minicab? If you get up with a guy named Spencer Carey (he should be in the contact page) they'll most likely gladly give you guys free admission and a safe spot to set it up, even if you only want it display only.

I would love to, but it's kinda a pain to move around. I just moved houses and even then I was weary of putting it in the moving truck and moving it. It made it in one piece, but I don't have a vehicle now that I'd be able to transport it in.

I think the guys who make the full size virtual pin cabs are gonna be there. I still want to build a full size one some day. So I'd love to check out an actual full size virtual pin.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Definitely hoping to see some full size cabs there. I've tried an UltraPin and... wasn't impressed, but I'm hoping more modern ones will impress me and finally give me the kick in the rear end I need to start building my own.

Also looking forward to playing some real pinball, of course. Orlando is miserable for it normally.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
Taxi/Harley Pack 5 is up on US PSN and Taxi really does seem to look worse than the Pinball Hall of Fame version graphically. It's just brown.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Giedroyc posted:

Taxi/Harley Pack 5 is up on US PSN and Taxi really does seem to look worse than the Pinball Hall of Fame version graphically. It's just brown.

They didn't put lighting into the last pack. Is it the same here? Hopefully they patch it in.
Just compare any of the tables prior to pack 5 & 6.

e: Yup.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Nov 7, 2012

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010
Pre-reg is open for the Texas Pinball Festival, as well as hotel reservations.

http://texaspinball.com/tpf/

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Tasteful Bulge posted:

Got to try out Transformers though... wasn't terribly impressed.

Of the recent Sterns I've played, Transformers is definitely the weakest. None of the modes really interest me.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Clouseau posted:

Of the recent Sterns I've played, Transformers is definitely the weakest. None of the modes really interest me.

I like Transformers. I was spoiled though and had the LE edition at my local pinball haunt so I got a better experience.

If you think Transformers is the weakest, woowee, try Big Buck Hunter. That one's a stinker. Stern has a hard-on for putting upper playfield shots right above the center drain and BBH has one of the worst. The Bird Multiball shot grabs your ball then drops it out with no momentum often straight down the middle. The Ram shot is also position in a way that can shoot it right down the middle or at the slingshots. If the Ram is broken, the center drain will most certainly eat your ball too.

Then you have the moving Buck that goes really low on the playfield and can launch the ball at high speeds towards the outlanes or the center drain.

Now Sopranos, that is an awesome Stern table TODAY TODAY TODAY

AC/DC is a pretty weak table too. Classic Steve Ritchie design, what with the two ramps but it too has a nasty STDM shot, Hell's Bell, and how that center lane is the drop-out for the bumpers. The only thing to really do is light multiball then go from there.

My pinball haunt has X-Men and just recently got Batman. Both are a lot of fun though X-Men is basically TRON: Legacy with a mirrored playfield.

Der-Wreck fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 7, 2012

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

:lol: It turns out FarSight actually have a Community Manager. He just now registered on the fan forums today. Better late than never, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Normal Transformers sucks. Transformers LE is really good, though.