Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Alright, finished Ada's campaign and have now finished the whole thing on normal. Must admit I was going into Ada's chapter 4 after reading some of the spoilers feeling :smug: but that was pretty hosed up.

My only regret is that despite playing online I can't seem to get the stars to align and to be able to help out another campaign :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
What do you goons think of the DLC Mercenaries maps? Are they worth it? Or do they feel like an afterthought? :v:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Holy poo poo playing as the dogs in agent hunt are the loving worst. Worse tank controls than the first RE, holy poo poo.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I still haven't done Ada's, but drat for all of RE6's faults it sure is made up with the good stuff being REALLY GOOD.

Oh, don't worry, Ada's campaign contains what is probably the most bizarre and absolutely nonsensical boss (it's not her final one though) in the entire game. Perhaps the entire series.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Azran posted:

What do you goons think of the DLC Mercenaries maps? Are they worth it? Or do they feel like an afterthought? :v:

High Seas Fortress is pretty fun. That's all I have so that's all I can comment on.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Azran posted:

Catacombs is a perfect combination of really dull with plenty of places for zombies to spawn then get stuck so you wind up running around with nothing to combo for big chunks of time.

High Seas Fortress is really cool, but can get pretty dicey when you run into a wave of a dozen shield-arm J'avo unless you have some heavy weapons or grenades handy. Generally pretty fun.

I've only played the Subway map once, so I can't really comment, but it seems alright.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Semiru posted:

Holy poo poo playing as the dogs in agent hunt are the loving worst. Worse tank controls than the first RE, holy poo poo.

This is the most wrong post. Dog is literally the most fun zombie type to be.

All Agent Hunt levels have your controls significantly nerfed, because they have to do SOMETHING so that you don't easily overpower the players. The dog has to be running to turn effectively. Once you get good at it, you're almost impossible to hit and you get to eat faces.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

This is the most wrong post. Dog is literally the most fun zombie type to be.

All Agent Hunt levels have your controls significantly nerfed, because they have to do SOMETHING so that you don't easily overpower the players. The dog has to be running to turn effectively. Once you get good at it, you're almost impossible to hit and you get to eat faces.

Quick shot seems to handle dogs of any type quite well.

D0ct0rAlanGrant
Aug 23, 2007

~My country is a complete embarrassment to world football and they deserve abuse from everyone at all times.~

~Handle your balls? Frenchmen can't resist!~
So I just got RE6 and I wad wondering if anyone wanted to join along for my first playthrough and kill a lot og guys!

Gt: D0ct0rAlanGrant

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Finally got the hang of the game, its weird having so much more mobility, to the point that, that's probably what was getting me killed so much, still trying to play like old RE's.

Seems like a fairly solid action game, maybe half a good RE game though I've only done up to Chapter 2 with Leon so far.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Since RE5 Gold is going free for PSN Plus, anything I should know tipwise? Ill be playing most of the time with a coop buddy.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

Since RE5 Gold is going free for PSN Plus, anything I should know tipwise? Ill be playing most of the time with a coop buddy.

Yeah, learn how to melee. It'll save you tons of ammo in the end. :eng101:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

Upgrade the default of each weapon type you get to unlock the super swag bonus guns. Also, kill all chickens.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

Unlike most games, the optimal place to shoot most enemies in RE5 is the leg. Shoot the leg, then melee.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone still play Operation Raccoon city?

Wouldn't mind going through the extra campaigns with friends.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Alteisen posted:

If it's PC I'd be happy to. Love the game in all its cheap glory. :buddy:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

If it's Xbox I'll play!!

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fraction posted:

If it's Xbox I'll play!!

Its Xbox!

I need to buy the campaigns first but we can do the normal one, I still haven't beaten on veteran or pro, dibs on 4 eyes though. :colbert:

GT is AchyHippo

Also have dead island if ya'll into more zombie stuff.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

:swoon: Marry me! I'm always up for DI, too. I only have 4 of the dlc afaik, but I loooove the main missions too so I definitely will play them again.

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

Currently on the longest whenever-we-got-time RE marathon with my gf. Here's a quick rundown of things we liked/disliked or were confused about.

We started about a year ago when 4 hit the PSN store. Not really a version you wanna get. The graphics don't appeal, and, albeit a problem only Germans will encounter, the goddamn mercenary mode is missing. Then we got 5, and sadly the local coop was unplayable because of the horrible framerate, so we took turns getting increasingly bored by what we came to call Resident Action. So we went back to 1, were very pleased by the awful story, and proceeded with 2. This one's our favourite so far. It has everything a good Resident Evil should have. A cheesy story, dark damp corridors, and never enough ammo. Then we got 6 on a hunch and we actually had a lot of fun with it. I think it's because we knew what to expect after 5, and just went along with it. Also the splitscreen didn't seem to drop any frames so that was a blast, even though a rather tiny blast that made you go blind. Now I've bought Code Veronica: X for PS2. Holding off playing it until we're done with RE2 again though - What's up with Leons A scenario being the non-canon one while Claires non-canon scenario is the B one? Anyway, is Code Veronica something to look forward to? Also, how's 3?

Pizzatime fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 7, 2012

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Pizzatime posted:

Holding off playing it until we're done with RE2 again though - What's up with Leons A scenario being the non-canon one while Claires non-canon scenario is the B one? Anyway, is Code Veronica something to look forward to? Also, how's 3?

I guess since you're meant to play as Leon then Claire (or vise versa) and completing one character's A scenario opens the other character's B scenario, one A to B scenario had to be canon.

3 and Veronica both divide opinion among fans, I've found. Neither are universally loved, and both have parts that personally got on my nerves. However, 3 does some interesting things with split paths, and Veronica for it's time was the best looking Resident Evil game yet. It was the first one I completed, too (I was a humongous Dreamcast fanboy).

Anyway, on another note I heard mention of character specific emblems in Resi 6 - I've completed the campaigns as Leon, Chris and Jake without getting all their emblems, are there any particular examples of this I should look out for playing as Helena, Piers and Sherry or is it a case where the character specific ones are actually for those characters?

I only missed one of the Ada___________ campaign emblems but it's the last one in Chapter 1 and I can't be bothered going through that stealth section again, especially on a higher difficulty. It sucks!

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Pizzatime posted:

What's up with Leons A scenario being the non-canon one while Claires non-canon scenario is the B one?

Leon A/Claire B is kind of "hard mode." Claire has distinctly inferior weapons and slightly less health than Leon, so her B scenario is made harder by virtue of her being in it, independently of whatever difficulty the game itself is on.

They ended up using a big plot point from RE2 - Sherry's infection - in RE6, and that doesn't occur at all in Leon A/Claire B. Hence, the canon scenario's Claire A/Leon B.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Alteisen posted:

Hey I still have this and wouldn't mind playing with someone other than pubbies. Anyone who wants to add me.

GT is Firefox357

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wanderer posted:

Leon A/Claire B is kind of "hard mode." Claire has distinctly inferior weapons and slightly less health than Leon, so her B scenario is made harder by virtue of her being in it, independently of whatever difficulty the game itself is on.

They ended up using a big plot point from RE2 - Sherry's infection - in RE6, and that doesn't occur at all in Leon A/Claire B. Hence, the canon scenario's Claire A/Leon B.

Also just from a general writing perspective it makes more sense. Claire A/Leon B means that Claire and Sherry deal with more of the William Birkin stuff while Leon is the guy who gets thrown a rocket launcher by Ada.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Semiru posted:

I guess since you're meant to play as Leon then Claire (or vise versa) and completing one character's A scenario opens the other character's B scenario, one A to B scenario had to be canon.

3 and Veronica both divide opinion among fans, I've found. Neither are universally loved, and both have parts that personally got on my nerves. However, 3 does some interesting things with split paths, and Veronica for it's time was the best looking Resident Evil game yet. It was the first one I completed, too (I was a humongous Dreamcast fanboy).

Anyway, on another note I heard mention of character specific emblems in Resi 6 - I've completed the campaigns as Leon, Chris and Jake without getting all their emblems, are there any particular examples of this I should look out for playing as Helena, Piers and Sherry or is it a case where the character specific ones are actually for those characters?

I only missed one of the Ada___________ campaign emblems but it's the last one in Chapter 1 and I can't be bothered going through that stealth section again, especially on a higher difficulty. It sucks!

If you want to follow a guide, here's the one I used. http://www.ign.com/blogs/simalcrum Piers, Sherry, and Jake are the ones with a few emblems only they can get.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Wamdoodle posted:

Hey I still have this and wouldn't mind playing with someone other than pubbies. Anyone who wants to add me.

GT is Firefox357

Added good sir.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Alteisen posted:

Its Xbox!

I need to buy the campaigns first but we can do the normal one, I still haven't beaten on veteran or pro, dibs on 4 eyes though. :colbert:

GT is AchyHippo

Also have dead island if ya'll into more zombie stuff.

Forgot to say, I added you the other day. GT Ms Slenderman :)

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Tremors posted:

If you want to follow a guide, here's the one I used. http://www.ign.com/blogs/simalcrum Piers, Sherry, and Jake are the ones with a few emblems only they can get.

That looks good, thanks!

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Hey guys. Hadn't seen this mentioned yet, but Capcom FINALLY released the pre-order bonus maps, bringing the total tally up to 6. They're a dollar each from the Playstation store. You can easily access them from the main menu option that's like "PS Store" or whatever, but you have to exit out of the game after downloading them and then restart so that they install.

I bought the maps, but with the bitter feeling that Capcom is really a bunch of cocksuckers for doing it this way. Why not do pre-order bonuses with costumes instead? I got bored so quickly with only those three maps to play (and the infinitely horrible Steel Beast maps -- I hate fighting J'avo) that I actually went back to RE5 for a while just to get my dynamic Co-op mercs fix.

The stages themselves aren't anything great (except maybe the Catacombs). They're generally just too loving huge and the enemies stream in too slowly. It's a serious chore to keep combo sometimes, and the rocket launcher enemies on some stages reload so god drat fast that they can take you out in less than 15 seconds if you aren't careful.

I liked this game, but its mercenaries is very disappointing. There's not even that many cool environmental kills. At least they were only a buck each though, as opposed to SfxT which, with its current price drop, costs less than all of its DLC.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I like RE6 Mercenaries but I wish it had a little more depth. It's closer to RE4 than RE5 and melee is back to just being "do a lot of damage" instead of having more variety. The enemy variety is pretty good but I miss the "boss" monsters. Even the hidden enemies are a poor replacement for that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I've got a Resident Evil High Seas Fortress DLC code for 360 that I'm not gonna use. Anybody wanna trade me for something? Ideally a Halo armor code? Lol I guess I'll just give it to somebody...

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Due to RE5 Gold being free with PSN+ I started a new game and played around with the modes that they never released in PC; aaaaaaaaaaand, I really miss the new RE6 controls and options, it also seems to me RE5 plays better with kb&m. Enemies telegraph better their reactions in RE5 but I think its more due to them being less bullet sponges, although triggering a staggering reaction is easier in RE6 since their weak spots seem larger or easier to hit.

But what it made me realise is that I wsh RE6 had kept the same sense of progression as RE5 and tons of unlockables.
Despite all the content there is in RE6, it still feels pretty barebones, maybe due to the campaign having a lot of useless filler. I want to play with dumb costumes, I want to play around with more weapons, just put RE6 controls on RE5 Capcom, come on.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.
I discovered something today. You can shoot RPG's in mid-air with the grenade launcher.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

I discovered something today. You can shoot RPG's in mid-air with the grenade launcher.

I believe you can do it with any weapon but the game is no way accurate enough for that to be anything but a lucky chance for most.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Got RE6 on a lark I wasn't planning to when I picked up a new PS3. My old one borked and the cost of an AC3 bundle and 460GB more HD was a better deal than fixing it. I hadn't been following it too closely, but was getting the impression it was apparently crappy. So far only in Leons second Chapter and besides the save points vs checkpoints being a little annoying, I'm enjoying the game so far, much more than I expected to be. Playing it offline because my schedule makes needing pause fairly often a requirement.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

gfanikf posted:

Got RE6 on a lark I wasn't planning to when I picked up a new PS3. My old one borked and the cost of an AC3 bundle and 460GB more HD was a better deal than fixing it. I hadn't been following it too closely, but was getting the impression it was apparently crappy. So far only in Leons second Chapter and besides the save points vs checkpoints being a little annoying, I'm enjoying the game so far, much more than I expected to be. Playing it offline because my schedule makes needing pause fairly often a requirement.

I actually had fun with it in single and co-op. If you enjoy it then that's all that matters. If you can ever manage to play with a partner, it's even better :)

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

gfanikf posted:

It has its problems, but it got panned something fierce by reviewers because the game doesn't explain anything and the controls and combat have a lot of depth to them. They played it expecting Gears of War and were disappointed something fierce (Giantbomb) when, instead, it's a completely different beast.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RE6 is pretty bad about explaining mechanics to you, while having mechanics that resemble those in other games. The end result is that trying to play it like Gears of War loving sucks despite it looking like it's trying to make you play it like Gears of War.

I'd say it was the game this year that is worst at explaining itself except Assassin's Creed 3 came out.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

gfanikf posted:

If you haven't seen it yet, here's the manual. http://www.capcom.com/manuals/re6/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ImpAtom posted:

RE6 is pretty bad about explaining mechanics to you, while having mechanics that resemble those in other games. The end result is that trying to play it like Gears of War loving sucks despite it looking like it's trying to make you play it like Gears of War.

I'd say it was the game this year that is worst at explaining itself except Assassin's Creed 3 came out.
I'm only an hour two into the game, but AC3 doesn't seem too bad at explaining things.

I'll agree RE kind of just throws you into things and is like...what didn't you read the manual?

Jimbot posted:

It has its problems, but it got panned something fierce by reviewers because the game doesn't explain anything and the controls and combat have a lot of depth to them. They played it expecting Gears of War and were disappointed something fierce (Giantbomb) when, instead, it's a completely different beast.

Yeah, there is a lot more depth than I expected far more than a Gears of War clone.

Wamdoodle posted:

I actually had fun with it in single and co-op. If you enjoy it then that's all that matters. If you can ever manage to play with a partner, it's even better :)

That's always been my view on most things.

Tremors posted:

If you haven't seen it yet, here's the manual. http://www.capcom.com/manuals/re6/

Thanks! I used to love reading manuals back in the day...Civ2 comes to mind, but these days I rarely check since they've been msde sadly superfluous.