Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

Don't give me any shit about plumbers, Jan.
Wow, knowing the outcome of the Baumgartner jump apparently did nothing to relieve the tension of watching the Space Dive documentary. Amazing stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Resonance posted:

Wow, knowing the outcome of the Baumgartner jump apparently did nothing to relieve the tension of watching the Space Dive documentary. Amazing stuff.

Yer man falling off the side of the plane was crazy.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Wish someone would ban Jack Whitehall from appearing on panel shows I enjoy. I just cannot watch him.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

WastedJoker posted:

Wish someone would ban Jack Whitehall from appearing on panel shows I enjoy. I just cannot watch him.

I wish someone would ban him from breathing.

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008
For some reason I thought Fresh Meat was that other comedy series that featured 2 of the inbetweeners actors so I pretty much ignored it. All the talk of it here got me to binge on all the episodes so far and its pretty good. Jack Whitehall is very good in it *choke*

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

StrawmanUK posted:

For some reason I thought Fresh Meat was that other comedy series that featured 2 of the inbetweeners actors

I know Joe Thomas' is in. Who else is?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Chuck Bartowski posted:

I think he meant he thought there were two Inbetweeners actors in it, but there isn't

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Speaking of Inbetweeners actors, I thought Cuckoo improved as it went on from what felt like a very generic set up in the first couple of episodes. But then I seem to find Greg Davies getting naked funny no matter what. Helen Baxendale was confusingly miscast though, she looks far too young for the role (though weirdly it turns out is only a couple of years younger than Greg).

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008

Paperhouse posted:

I think he meant he thought there were two Inbetweeners actors in it, but there isn't

Nah, i was getting it confused with *off the hook*, which was another comedy series about first year students. It also had one of the guys from the inbetweeners (not 2 of them as I also mistakenly thought) and was pretty poor.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

StrawmanUK posted:

Nah, i was getting it confused with *off the hook*, which was another comedy series about first year students. It also had one of the guys from the inbetweeners (not 2 of them as I also mistakenly thought) and was pretty poor.

Oh yeah, remember seeing a little bit of that, absolutely awful show

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

StrawmanUK posted:

I remember seeing a glimpse of that and then it disappeared i really want to see how bad it was now.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Watching 999: What's Your Emergency on Channel 4 whilst studying, and while it is a stellar advertisement for the saintly patience of the NHS ambulance service and the reasonably good-humoured tolerance of the Blackpool police for the drunks they must deal with, I do feel the fire service are perhaps coming over as being a bit...off.

The first firefighter they interviewed was all "And you know...fire...it's like mesmerising. Really mesmerising...", complete with a peculiar sort of gleam in his eyes.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Irisi posted:

The first firefighter they interviewed was all "And you know...fire...it's like mesmerising. Really mesmerising...", complete with a peculiar sort of gleam in his eyes.

A lot of them are like that. Firemen turning firebug happens more than you'd think.

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008

Flatscan posted:

A lot of them are like that. Firemen turning firebug happens more than you'd think.

Fires are pretty drat awesome though!

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

StrawmanUK posted:

Fires are pretty drat awesome though!

Yeah, fire is cool.

the_cow_fan
May 12, 2008

Irisi posted:

999: What's Your Emergency

The emergency call with the woman trying to save her husbands life was pretty harrowing.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

the_cow_fan posted:

The emergency call with the woman trying to save her husbands life was pretty harrowing.

That was the most emotionally draining fve minutes I've seen on TV in a very long time. The 999 dispatcher was truely remarkable; both level-headed and compassionate in a way very few people could be in that situation.

I seriously regret watching it with my pregnant and emotionally-turbocharged sister though. She made peculiar honking noises of distress throughout, then declared that all programmes involving people in jeopardy -be they real or fictional- are banned until after the birth.

Don't think I'm allowed to watch anything more serious than Homes Under The Hammer from now until April.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Pretty sure That Dutch Girl from Fresh Meat is the Dutch Girl from that one episode of The Inbetweeners.

meme
Oct 7, 2009

But it's a pretty good way to get someone to spend money on buying you an av and sig. Maybe I should be really obnoxious and get an upgrade myself

Moral of the story: be careful what you wish for.

You are welcome.
I think he was probably conflating Fresh Meat with Friday Night Dinners, seeing as they are similar shows on the same channel and both have Inbetweeners actors as main characters

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
If you haven't watched Getting On you probably should. It's a really excellent program. According to my nurse sister, it's also very accurate to real life, which isn't too surprising given how Jo Brand used to be a nurse aswell.

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008

meme posted:

I think he was probably conflating Fresh Meat with Friday Night Dinners, seeing as they are similar shows on the same channel and both have Inbetweeners actors as main characters

I explained myself a few posts up. I was confusing it with "Off the Hook".

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Ddraig posted:

If you haven't watched Getting On you probably should. It's a really excellent program. According to my nurse sister, it's also very accurate to real life, which isn't too surprising given how Jo Brand used to be a nurse aswell.

Yeah, it's great. Kind of utterly miserable, but also really, really funny. Plus Peter Capaldi shows up in it every few episodes (and directs it all), which is always a bonus.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The Perfect Element posted:

Yeah, it's great. Kind of utterly miserable, but also really, really funny. Plus Peter Capaldi shows up in it every few episodes (and directs it all), which is always a bonus.

Started watching from the pilot and laughed at the first joke. This is a good sign.

"There's poo poo on a chair."
"Feces. It's called feces."
"There's feces on a chair."

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Getting On is amazing

And 999 is making my hometown look even more poo poo than it actually is.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

I've been trying to catch up on a number of British series' over the past few months, but I'm looking for some advice on what to search out next. Most of the recommendations that I've received are wacky sitcoms and Doctor Who, neither of which I've enjoyed too much. I have loved Misfits and Black Mirror, along with The Office, Spaced, etc.

Any suggestions on some news things to check out that fall in line with the dark humor of those shows? I'd also love to find some good horror/thriller series' if they exist.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

Acrolos posted:

I've been trying to catch up on a number of British series' over the past few months, but I'm looking for some advice on what to search out next. Most of the recommendations that I've received are wacky sitcoms and Doctor Who, neither of which I've enjoyed too much. I have loved Misfits and Black Mirror, along with The Office, Spaced, etc.

Any suggestions on some news things to check out that fall in line with the dark humor of those shows? I'd also love to find some good horror/thriller series' if they exist.

For dark humour, there are a few shows to check out.
There's Nighty Night which is about a psychopathic woman who becomes obsessed with her neighbour, it's very funny and the main character is one of the least sympathetic I've ever seen on a comedy show.
Psychoville is a comedy/horror/thriller that manages to successfully blend humour and drama. Also the main cast includes a one armed clown, a pantomime dwarf, and a serial killer obsessed with manchild.
There's The League of Gentlemen which is a comedy sketch show by the same people as (but predating) Psychoville. It's quite creepy from the offset, but by the end of series 2 and the Christmas Special, it becomes very dark indeed. The third series is different from the previous ones, in that it loses the laugh track and sketch show format, and moves in a darker direction. Each episode tells the story of a few characters, and all the episodes are interlinked in a way that's pretty clever for what was initially a sketch show.
Not massively dark, but Catterick is a dramatic comedy series starring Vic and Bob. Very surreal and possibly not to everyone's tastes, but I love it.

Also, The Comic Strip Presents are bunch of (generally) stand alone comedy shows with a bunch of main cast members common across the shows. Most of them are funny, and there are some darkish ones like Gregory - Diary of a Nutcase.

FelixMeOneMoreTime fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 7, 2012

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

Acrolos posted:

I'm not a fan of dark comedy really, but my mate is and he swears by Garth Marenghi's Darkplace. Also, Brass Eye. Watch that.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
Jekyll was very good and in the horror vein.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Science Club is kind of a weird format. It's like one of those crappy 90s live party shows (TGIF etc) focused on science.

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009
I often consider Black Books to be a sister show of Spaced, in terms of tone, humour style, and that it shares a few cast members.

And it's hilarious.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Acrolos posted:

Dead set is a zombie series by the creator of black mirror, you should definitely try that. Also, seconding brass eye, darkplace, nighty night, psychoville and LOG (probably in that order). Jam is probably the darkest comedy ever made, so you might want to try that too.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Acrolos posted:

I'm contractually obliged to recommend Peep Show to anyone who asks for recommendations. And nth'ing Brass Eye.

EddieDean posted:

I often consider Black Books to be a sister show of Spaced, in terms of tone, humour style, and that it shares a few cast members.

And it's hilarious.

Fun fact: They canonically take place in the same universe. One of the episodes of Black Books, Manny is on the phone talking to Twist.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Explain to me why Manny changed his name to Bilbo Bagshot then. Unless, I just remembered Hot Fuzz.

All good suggestions, back them up to the hilt. Also Snuffbox has some pretty bleak black comedy moments too.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!

FelixMeOneMoreTime posted:

Not massively dark, but Catterick is a dramatic comedy series starring Vic and Bob. Very surreal and possibly not to everyone's tastes, but I love it.

If they remade it without Mark "God I was in everything at the time and I'm loving terrible. Robson Green come back from yer fishin so I can get a job man" Benton it might have been good. As it stands it was just okay.

The Smoking Room has a vaguely dark style of humour and it's also one of those shows nobody on here seems to mention. Which is a shame since Paula Wilcox and Leslie Schofield were great in it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Oh gently caress me, I own it on DVD and I keep forgetting about it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I don't know when exactly it first aired, but we just got the first episode of Red Dwarf X here in Australia.

I was worried it was going to be tired, uninspired and a bit heavy on that kind of thing where a show tries to stay with the times but just ends up looking even more dated. I'm very happy to say, though, that it managed to avoid most of this. It felt very much like the stronger seasons of the original show, and I feel like it could slot right in there with them.

I will say it felt rather aged; their props, set design and effects all felt very 'mid to late 90s'. For any other show that would be a negative, but it really worked here because, hey, it's Red Dwarf. And as a bonus the make-up seems better than it was in Back to Earth, so the actors look much closer to the way they did in the original run (Chris Barrie especially needed it).

So, yeah. Might be a bit early to say, but if you liked the original Red Dwarf, Red Dwarf X is worth a look.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Nov 7, 2012

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008
I've really enjoyed the new red dwarf. Its possibly my biggest TV surprise of the year as I was convinced (alongside everyone else) that it would be utter turd. The vending machines are a great addition to the show.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Acrolos posted:

Jam

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009
Yeah, Red Dwarf X was shockingly samey. In a good way. It wasn't amazing - Red Dwarf never was - but what it was was more, and worthy, Red Dwarf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Acrolos posted:

I'd also love to find some good horror/thriller series' if they exist.

You could try Ultraviolet if you want to see Stringer Bell killing vampires.