Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ShadowHawk posted:

Personally I think parasite should do no damage but instead apply an invisible debuff that causes the marine to take extra damage on his next bite.
When people started talking about parasite reducing bites to kill down to two, this is what I thought it meant, and it sounded awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Maybe have parasite reduce the effect of armour by some small-ish percentage.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Goodpancakes posted:

What I didn't like about res for kills was how little effect it would be to put down really good players. Kill that 30/0 fade? Well he's gonna fade again immediately because he is swimming in blood money. Once a good fade would spin up you would slam into that murder machine until the game grinds out an hour later. Likewise for a good marine jetpacker. He'll be back with a shortly, welder, and JP again and again.

I find that I can often do this as a marine still anyways. I don't generally buy anything except mines and welders until jetpacks come along and can afford a good 5 or so lives until I stop buying them. If this happens we are probably losing anyways.

But yeah a good player fade death is a big loving deal and if I notice it happen as an alien commander I'll try to drop another for him. If a dude can get amazing kill ratios and gently caress up the map as a fade then it is my job to try and keep him as a fade.

EDIT: And yeah I largely ignore parasite. It can be useful to bait marines into walking into an ambush. They like chasing a lone skulk spitting at them into 2 others hanging out on the ceiling.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Nov 7, 2012

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Where is the options file in the NS2 directory? Is there even one?

Piggycow
Jun 27, 2007
What is the average length for a match in this? On the giantbomb quicklook I am pretty sure they said they aim for 20 minute matches and most in the beta ended up around there, but I keep seeing posts about hour plus games. I don't think I have the attention span for this if most go that long.

AndyAML
Jul 24, 2006

HEY BASS WHY MUST I FIGHT YOU WE ARE NOT ENEMIES

Piggycow posted:

What is the average length for a match in this? On the giantbomb quicklook I am pretty sure they said they aim for 20 minute matches and most in the beta ended up around there, but I keep seeing posts about hour plus games. I don't think I have the attention span for this if most go that long.
Right now the game has only been officially released for one week, so there are plenty of people who are still learning how to play. It seems like most of the new people aren't sure on how to do base sieges outside of "mass exos/onos" - I've only seen ARCs used a few times, and it seems like lots of people think Gorges are only good for healing and building hydras/walls, instead of bilebombing while their team protects them. As a result, you get teams amassing ultra-powerful units but remaining at a standstill, since neither team wants to take the offensive and risk losing their exos/onos. Once people start to learn and adapt more strategies, games should start wrapping up sooner.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Yeah, it's a matter of learning curve - it's easier to learn how to use skulk or the basic rifle/shotgun since that's what you get to use most of the time, so even if a game becomes hilariously lopsided 10 minutes in i've seen teams take another 50 just to actually finish the match because of inexperience with higher tech units and the teamwork they allow.

It occasionally does allow for intense comebacks though.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Piggycow posted:

Feel free to leave a game if you have other things to do or get bored in a really long game!

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Found you have to go alone
NS2 is freakin' awesome.

I love the fact that all the new players gravitate towards marines most of the time, it seems I can always slip into the alien side in a game. :zerg:

Average game length for me so far seems to be about 30-45 minutes. The longer ones definately because of the winning side's inability to FINISH HIM.

What are you folks' thoughts on build orders as alien comm?

Sometimes I rush out an extremely quick carapace/celerity, but it kinda leaves me strapped for taking those resource nodes...slowing down my overall economy.

But generally the map control and boost to players it gives makes up for it. Also reduces the overall whining on your team ("OMG GAEV ME UPGRADES NAOW").

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I haven't comm'd at all, but when I play aliens I always appreciate when the comm goes stealth first. Being an invisible skulk early is fun as heck.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Daeno posted:

What are you folks' thoughts on build orders as alien comm?

Sometimes I rush out an extremely quick carapace/celerity, but it kinda leaves me strapped for taking those resource nodes...slowing down my overall economy.

But generally the map control and boost to players it gives makes up for it. Also reduces the overall whining on your team ("OMG GAEV ME UPGRADES NAOW").

I have had success doing any of the three upgrades. Silence, celerity, and carapace are all very good early. From my command perspective I prefer going shade -> crag -> shift but that leaves you with a risky mid-game (and your team will be pissed) if you can't take a third hive. I like Shade -> crag because of the ease of area denial when combined with whips.

That said my build order when I start is to hope my skulks can identify marine start fast, meanwhile I start my hive upgrading immediately. Then cyst out to my second hive location and go full greed mode in resource capping. Communicate to my team what I want my second hive to be ( preferably as far from marine start as possible, if both locations are equal distance then take whichever location I think would be easier to defend). After I hit 4 res towers or so ill put down my first upgrade chamber (celerity, silence, or carapace) then begin saving for a second hive.

After my second hive goes up I work on a combination of upgrades and setting up area denials in choke points to contain the marines. Leap comes first followed by blink/bile bomb/spore depending on who is playing what on my alien team. If I have a lot of lerks then ill prioritize spore, ect.

The hope is I can restrict marine movement to parts of the map, maintain a res tower lead, and set the team up to take that third hive. After a third hive goes up its all about moving my area denial areas closer and closer to marine spawn. Eventually after shortly leaving marine spawn they will find themselves running into a wall of invisible whips backed by craigs, shades, and shifts. Perfect forward bases for my gorgies and frontliners.

Massive_Idiot
Jun 21, 2007

Receiving data bursts, everything to do with it.
I played with the title Barack Obama on a KKG server last night and literally wracked up kills with the grenade launcher, was an unstoppable menace to Kharaa society. I'll have to say the exo suits really don't have anything on what that little gun can do in the right hands and it makes me miss the old suits being able to wield whatever gun they wanted. Trains of exos made more sense when they could tech up as different weapon groupings and weld each other.

Really can't wait for a classic NS game mode to make an appearance, along with all the old maps and their little quirks.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:
I wish you could mix/match weapons on exos. Flamer exos would be boss.

Guesticles fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Nov 8, 2012

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

ShadowHawk posted:

Personally I think parasite should do no damage but instead apply an invisible debuff that causes the marine to take extra damage on his next bite.

I'm gonna quote this because this is a really awesome idea.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Guesticles posted:

I wish you could mix/max weapons on exos. Flamer exos would be boss.
Eventually they will add a railgun, so we'll see how this ends up working.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Guesticles posted:

I wish you could mix/max weapons on exos. Flamer exos would be boss.

I want a flamethrower jetpack that unleashes a fury of fire below it when you lift off.

BURN SKULKS! :black101:

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.
I've been finding alien commander to be really boring. It feels like once you get your upgrades down then you just have to hope your team is good enough to push out and get you room to expand.

Watching three skulks die to one marine is disheartening.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Lemon Curdistan posted:

No, don't loving do this. If you do this you are essentially wasting a slot on the alien team. You're not playing a loving stealth game, you're the expendable meat-grinder-fodder on your team. Always be rushing with other skulks.

Being opportunistic and sneaky doesn't mean camping, nor does it mean playing a stealth game. It means looking for and forcing opportunities, and when given the choice between HURR CHARREGGGGing into a Marine and running on the ceiling and avoiding his attention as long as you can until you get to melee, being smart and running on the ceiling. You don't have to pretend to be a 1337ninja to be a sneaky little jerk and come at people from odd angles. And ambushing doesn't mean "Camp a hallway for fifteen minutes like a moron," it means "Oh poo poo there are Marines coming, surround the doorway that they're going to pop out of in ten seconds so we can chew on them as soon as they come through."

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Sure you don't have to pretend you're a 1337ninja, but it helps :ninja:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Slappy Moose posted:

I'm gonna quote this because this is a really awesome idea.

The problem is that the Lerk uses the exact same projectile in order for new players to go "oh I shoot spikes. They work exactly like Skulk spikes including the marking of players through walls". I'm pretty sure Skulks would be overpowered as hell if Lerks could buff bite damage just by shooting.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Love being an invisible onos. I call it the "Undercover Elephant".

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Magres posted:

Being opportunistic and sneaky doesn't mean camping, nor does it mean playing a stealth game. It means looking for and forcing opportunities, and when given the choice between HURR CHARREGGGGing into a Marine and running on the ceiling and avoiding his attention as long as you can until you get to melee, being smart and running on the ceiling. You don't have to pretend to be a 1337ninja to be a sneaky little jerk and come at people from odd angles. And ambushing doesn't mean "Camp a hallway for fifteen minutes like a moron," it means "Oh poo poo there are Marines coming, surround the doorway that they're going to pop out of in ten seconds so we can chew on them as soon as they come through."

Rush in a pack attack, sneak when alone, but sneaking in a pack is best.

I'm liking the aliens so far, if people play them a bit smart a group can do a lot of damage.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
So can anyone tell me about the Lerk umbra? I was using it to great effect last night, keeping the onos alive, but do you have to constantly keep the cloud on them or will the effect last a little while?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

RadicalWall posted:

I've been finding alien commander to be really boring. It feels like once you get your upgrades down then you just have to hope your team is good enough to push out and get you room to expand.

Watching three skulks die to one marine is disheartening.

I don't know if this is still the right way to play but I've seen a lot of situations where alien commanders will set everything up and then jump out of the hive and play for a little, giving their team a player on the field advantage when needed. Not just like marine comms jump out to defend against marauding skulks but actually jump out and play the game for a few minutes.

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.

voltron lion force posted:

So can anyone tell me about the Lerk umbra? I was using it to great effect last night, keeping the onos alive, but do you have to constantly keep the cloud on them or will the effect last a little while?

The wiki says it'll last a little while even after you run out of the cloud but I dont think there's any really concrete info yet.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

AxeManiac posted:

Rush in a pack attack, sneak when alone, but sneaking in a pack is best.

I'm liking the aliens so far, if people play them a bit smart a group can do a lot of damage.

My two favorite things:

:zerg: the main base super early in a giant pack, overwhelm the Marines and win in 40 seconds flat. It only works against TERRIBLE teams, but god drat it's fun to hear the tears when it works.

When you just want to gently caress around, getting a comm to go Shade first and get camo is amaaazing. You get to pretend to be :ninja: and be totally useless. So fun to be assholes and sit around in Camo until a lone marine comes along, then just prance and bunnyhop in circles around him while he frantically spams bullets. I had one guy start trying to hatchet all of us to death because he was out of ammo :D

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
This guy is clueless.

http://uk.gamespot.com/natural-selection-2/reviews/natural-selection-2-review-6399575/

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Yeah, that's quite bad. I really liked this part:

Dumb piece of poo poo posted:

All that said, Natural Selection 2 is filled with promise if you can put in the hours of grinding necessary to learn the units, maps, controls, and balance, and figure out what the heck is happening around you at a given moment.

"Hours of grinding?" Also known as "playing the game." If it even remotely resembles grinding then you may have some kind of minor brain defect.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 7, 2012

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Honestly, the most baffling part is he keeps going on and on about how bad the graphics are. He must be playing on a toaster because the graphics look pretty loving slick from where I'm standing.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

voltron lion force posted:

Honestly, the most baffling part is he keeps going on and on about how bad the graphics are. He must be playing on a toaster because the graphics look pretty loving slick from where I'm standing.

Yea really, the way the maps look are really impressive and they are quite varied so I have no idea why he thinks the game looks bad.

All the tutorials are there, the explore mode lets you play with everything and gives you descriptions there and he complains they are too long or don't hold his hand. Even if you are a impatient idiot you can immediately jump in the game and figure out how to play at a basic level, shoot bad dudes. If there is a lot of information to cover, how can it be in short tutorials? The information is there if you want to learn, or to ignore.

He was just looking for another FPS game that is exactly like everything else. I mean he complains that the maps have too many paths and redundant routes. Really dude?

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
Did my second time of Marine Commander, this time with goons of Knifeback. I was terrible and since I forgot that marines need second seat for Exos, I made no effort to even try to get the team to grab a second one. But it was nice playing with a team that at least made appearance of going towards places where I clicked.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

I don't know that it's the same Eric Neigher, but apparently he has a history of writing terrible uninformed reviews and then bragging about having pissed people off.

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8877080&publicUserId=5784087

monkeymagic
Aug 10, 2004
He is Trampling the Unrighteous with Hooves of Hot Iron
Hey I just got the game and wanting to play with some australian goons. Had a very brief go at NS1 around 8 years ago, anyone want to help show me the basics?

steam id: http://steamcommunity.com/id/JamGaiden

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

octoroon posted:

I don't know that it's the same Eric Neigher, but apparently he has a history of writing terrible uninformed reviews and then bragging about having pissed people off.

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8877080&publicUserId=5784087

I was going through some of his reviews also, he gave NBA Baller Beats a 7/10 (it sold like 5 copies).

http://www.gamespot.com/nba-baller-beats/reviews/nba-baller-beats-review-6397717/

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Any tips for playing Fade? My current logic is to wait until we have Blink and Adrenaline, then blink into the back of marine groups, take out a single guy and blink back out before I take too much fire. It seems like I should be unstoppable one on one but I've lost fights against assault rifle marines where we both stand face to face and hold down left mouse. I tend to play as Skulk/Gorge until the moment I can go Onos because dying as a Lerk or a Fade really sucks and it seems to happen to me quite often - and I can't practice being a Fade as much as being a Skulk or a Gorge because of the resource cost.

It also seems a waste of a Fade to go around hitting buildings, especially as I've had marines sneak up and two-shot me with a shotgun while I'm hacking away at an extractor for half damage. I know I'm a hit and run unit but what should I be prioritising? What combat tricks should I know about? Blink is a little disorienting to use properly and I only just discovered I can use Shadowstep to strafe

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
I like to play Lerk and Fade as anti-marine classes, clear out the marines in a room so your skulks can hump the power node while you go on a little ahead to wait for the respawned marines to come back and try to save it.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Steam servers went down a bit ago and it doesn't look like everything is fully back up yet. Oh well, I'd probably forget to eat dinner if I could play. Just picked it up yesterday and it's pretty dang awesome. I went from playing shooters forever to Starcraft II for quite a while, so it's a fun transition.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

DatonKallandor posted:

The problem is that the Lerk uses the exact same projectile in order for new players to go "oh I shoot spikes. They work exactly like Skulk spikes including the marking of players through walls". I'm pretty sure Skulks would be overpowered as hell if Lerks could buff bite damage just by shooting.

Or the developement team could literally just seperate the projectiles for the lerk and skulk.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

How much damage do spores do? I don't seem to get a number pop up. Per second or whatever.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Boing posted:

Any tips for playing Fade? My current logic is to wait until we have Blink and Adrenaline, then blink into the back of marine groups, take out a single guy and blink back out before I take too much fire. It seems like I should be unstoppable one on one but I've lost fights against assault rifle marines where we both stand face to face and hold down left mouse. I tend to play as Skulk/Gorge until the moment I can go Onos because dying as a Lerk or a Fade really sucks and it seems to happen to me quite often - and I can't practice being a Fade as much as being a Skulk or a Gorge because of the resource cost.

It also seems a waste of a Fade to go around hitting buildings, especially as I've had marines sneak up and two-shot me with a shotgun while I'm hacking away at an extractor for half damage. I know I'm a hit and run unit but what should I be prioritising? What combat tricks should I know about? Blink is a little disorienting to use properly and I only just discovered I can use Shadowstep to strafe
You shouldn't just blink to the last guy in the group, you should be blinking just BEHIND the last guy in the group. In a one on one, CONSTANTLY circlestrafe, and you should be able to solo even exos barely taking damage.

After a while you start listening for weapon fire to count when they are about to reload, and blink in at the perfect moment. Also, run away, a lot. If there's room, blinking is a slight arc UP (think mario long jump) is a great way to ensure you don't get shot to death while blinking out.

And I wouldn't ignore buildings as a fade. You can clear out an entire base by yourself (or at least force a beacon and they lose all their frontline exos). Hit a backline base, and just position yourself in a way that you have full view of the phase gate and/or relevant doors and take out people as they come in.

Those are my tips as a newbie to another newbie. Doing that I am consistently crushing the current average pub though, so I guess it will work for now :shobon:

• Locked thread