Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I clicked on mods and it's not listed there. It's for the 22" anyways. Oh well, I'm dumb, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Tempted to try out some turkey legs on Sunday. What temp do you guys usually shoot for? I've read you want to go up to 300-325 for turkey/other poultry to get good skin, hold same for the legs only?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Bob Mundon posted:

Tempted to try out some turkey legs on Sunday. What temp do you guys usually shoot for? I've read you want to go up to 300-325 for turkey/other poultry to get good skin, hold same for the legs only?

I'm hoping to do a turkey next week using this recipe. It suggests 325 (both for whole turkey and just legs). That said, I haven't tried it yet so I can't comment on how good it is.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
If you have Great American Channel, they are showing a BBQ episode of Kimberly's Simply Southern. The guy teaching her to smoke won the HLSR BBQ cookoff a few years ago.

http://www.gactv.com/gac/shows_gckim/episode/0,3549,GAC_45405_84740,00.html

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Choadmaster posted:

I'm hoping to do a turkey next week using this recipe. It suggests 325 (both for whole turkey and just legs). That said, I haven't tried it yet so I can't comment on how good it is.

Post your results afterwards. I am going to try one in two or so weeks, and am curious how it comes out.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

:(

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 29, 2012

insideoutsider
Aug 31, 2003

You want a van? I get you a van.
I made some amazing jerky the other night in my masterbuilt smoker. It was a LOT easier than I thought it would be, and it gave me a better idea about the whole "cold smoking" process.

My buddy at the butcher shop (Whole Foods) sliced some bottom round into very thin slices. He suggested the bottom round would be better for the smoker. I then took the slices and sliced them into 1/4 to 1/2 strips and marinated them in soy sauce, brown sugar, black pepper and crushed garlic cloves for 4 days.

I didn't have toothpicks or any other tool available to hang the jerky from the racks in the smoker so I took a gamble and placed them across the racks. A lot of resources online suggested that if I use this method I should rotate the racks throughout the process. I think this helped quite a bit.

I started the smoker at 200 degrees and warmed it up. Once it was hot I let a hand full of chips smoke for about an hour to get the chamber nice and smokey. At 4PM I opened the smoker to let heat out before I put the racks of jerky into the chamber. When the chamber was at 100 degrees I turned the temperature gauge to 130 degrees and places the racks in the chamber. I also added another small amount of chips.

I kept checking the jerky every 90 minutes from 4PM until 2AM. I would rotate racks every now and then and would flip the pieces of meat so they wouldn't hang over the racks and get stuck. By constantly opening the chamber to promote heat loss, the heating element would have to keep heading to 130 degrees creating a nice amount of good smoke. Every time I would check the jerky a nice cloud of smoke would emerge from the chamber. This made me happy, when I smoked a pork belly a few weeks ago at 130 degrees not much smoke would come from the spout or emerge from the chamber. I also didn't check the pork belly that much and didn't do the "pre-smoke" method which is super important for this process.

My roommate and I determined the jerky wasn't spicy enough so at about 10 PM I started brushing hot sauce on the jerky strips. By the end of the process the strips had a nice "glaze" of hot sauce that wasn't too sticky or overpowering. It offered a nice amount of heat we were looking for and neglected in the marination process. I ended up pulling the jerky at 2AM when it was firm yet not brittle.

As for the bottom round, incredible. The fatty pieces are absolute sin and melt in your mouth. VERY salty but that's par for the course with jerky. I'm thinking of using a low sodium soy sauce with the next batch, or ditching the soy altogether for a different marinade. Any suggestions for jerky marinades would be terrific!

I'm definitely happy with my first jerky. I've had the smoker for almost a month now and everything has been great except for a batch of over smoked ribs. This jerky has definitely given me more confidence with cold smoking. I'll be doing another (better) pork belly very soon as well as some cheeses for Thanksgiving. This thing is a drat dream!

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Dude that seriously sucks. How did that happen?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Holy poo poo that sucks.

Also you need to change your img link so you don't break the tables. Check your [img ] link to [timg ] or put this link in:

http://i.imgur.com/bUFzM.jpg

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Made my smoking debut with this recipe http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/chicken1.html

It ran pretty hot since it was the first smoke (about 370 at 75% vents), so didn't need to go with the direct grill portion to crisp up the skin, but whoa did that ever turn out. For thanksgiving turkey I think I just want to get a case of that italian dressing, couldn't be easier and turn out any better, just perfect. Shake > pour > wait 6 hours > smoke > deliciousness. Pepper mill needed a refill so didn't even bother with the pepper, still came out great.

Bob Mundon fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Oct 29, 2012

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

Dude that seriously sucks. How did that happen?

I was moving it out of the garage and should have pulled instead of pushed as I moved it.

Sigh...my BGE was the best 500 bucks I ever spent.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

BraveUlysses posted:

I was moving it out of the garage and should have pulled instead of pushed as I moved it.

aww, man. :smith:

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

NOOOOOOOOOO!

Man down, man down.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

Does your insurance cover acts of god? Blame it on the hurricane.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
This is I guess why building them into tables or carts is so popular.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

There are glues that will withstand high temperatures that should be able to fix that up fairly well provided you have all the pieces still. An automotive supply store might be your best bet for finding that locally, but Home Depot / Lowes might have some too.

cornface posted:

Post your results afterwards. I am going to try one in two or so weeks, and am curious how it comes out.

I stopped by Whole Foods today and they won't have fresh turkeys available until the 13th. Since this was meant to be a trial run for Thanksgiving I want to make sure I use the same turkey; I'll be waiting two or so weeks as well, it seems. But I think I'll do a pre-trial run with some drumsticks and a breast so I'll post my results for that when I do.

I tried smoking some burgers tonight. When I searched for recipes, I found a lot of comments saying "don't bother" and "it isn't worth it." There were comments to the contrary though (but not as many, at least to my estimation). Having tried it now, I think I'm in the former camp. Took a couple hours and didn't really taste any better than a grilled burger.

Anyone here have an opinion on smoked burgers?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
No, it definitely crumbled at the corner too much to fix it... Plus I doubt any glues can handle the 1000-1500* F temps that the egg reaches.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

Choadmaster posted:

Anyone here have an opinion on smoked burgers?

To me, one of the best part of a burger is the contrast between the charred crust and moist interior. Even if I smoked them, I'd still want to sear them before eating, at which point they'd probably be overcooked for my liking.

Smoking a meatloaf, on the other hand, is something I'd highly recommend.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

BraveUlysses posted:

No, it definitely crumbled at the corner too much to fix it... Plus I doubt any glues can handle the 1000-1500* F temps that the egg reaches.

Could you get a huge rear end metal trash can and stick it in there and pack sand around it?

Hell, for what those things cost, buy a 55g gallon drum and a drum dolly from an industrial supply house and give it a try.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

Does the outer shell at the bottom really get that hot? Even if so, still doable ($6). You might even be able to use it to fill in the crumbled areas. For about :10bux: with shipping it could be worth a try.

GigaFool posted:

To me, one of the best part of a burger is the contrast between the charred crust and moist interior. Even if I smoked them, I'd still want to sear them before eating, at which point they'd probably be overcooked for my liking.

I was thinking that after I made mine. I might still try that; even after an hour of smoking the burgers hadn't hit medium-rare yet, so a quick searing should be doable at that point without overcooking them.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Trust me guys; I like fixing stuff but I know when to just let things go.

It was in the dumpster within 30 minutes

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

BraveUlysses posted:

Trust me guys; I like fixing stuff but I know when to just let things go.

It was in the dumpster within 30 minutes

You should have kept it, so when you bought a new one, anytime it wasn't holding the temp you want, you could drunkenly yell at it about what happened to the LAST BGE that didn't do what it was supposed to.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Attempting some good ol pork butt today. A 12 hour smoke your 2nd time out is pretty intimidating, we'll see how it goes.

Blown away that it was $1.75 a lb at Costco. Ribs there were 2.78 a lb. How can things that are so good be so stupidly cheap? Whatever the reason, I'll take it.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Bob Mundon posted:

Attempting some good ol pork butt today. A 12 hour smoke your 2nd time out is pretty intimidating, we'll see how it goes.

Blown away that it was $1.75 a lb at Costco. Ribs there were 2.78 a lb. How can things that are so good be so stupidly cheap? Whatever the reason, I'll take it.

Nothing about smoking should be intimidating. Set the temperature, make sure it isn't windy, drink beer.

The process is never complicated.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003

Digital_Jesus posted:

Nothing about smoking should be intimidating. Set the temperature, make sure it isn't windy, drink beer.

The process is never complicated.

As I've found out. WSM: Set, drink beverage while watching football.

After a while no visible smoke coming out, although according to the recipe I'm using plenty. No need to add more wood right?

Bob Mundon fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 3, 2012

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Bob Mundon posted:

As I've found out. WSM: Set, drink beverage while watching football.

After a while no visible smoke coming out, although according to the recipe I'm using plenty. No need to add more wood right?

Most small cuts will stop absorbing smoke after an hour or so, larger stuff like brisket and shoulder you can probably keep wood going for 2-3 hours, past that naw, just let it cook.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax
I just started the WSM up in the middle of a downpour. I was sort of expecting the chimney to go out, but so far so good, other than the rain cooling off the smoker.

Babybacks, ahoy! I am trying out a pecan and apple wood mix today. Hopefully it stops raining before they are ready to come off.

edit:

Came out pretty good, all things considered. Basted for the last 30 with a modified Number 5 sauce. (added molasses, ancho, and chipotle, and then simmered with brisket trimmings while the ribs cooked).

Not sure what is going on with the bark peeling off the first rack like a slice of bacon, but whatevs.

cornface fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 4, 2012

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.

cornface posted:

I just started the WSM up in the middle of a downpour. I was sort of expecting the chimney to go out, but so far so good, other than the rain cooling off the smoker.

Babybacks, ahoy! I am trying out a pecan and apple wood mix today. Hopefully it stops raining before they are ready to come off.

I was quite amazed with the WSM's ability to hold temp I the rain as well the first time I ran into it.

It was a sudden summer downpour that lasted about 50 minutes. We moved ourselves and our beers to the front porch to watch the storm. When it was over we headed to the backyard fully expecting the temp to have dropped significantly, but that faithful needle was still there, pointing straight up just as we had left it. It was a good day.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Its been too long since I smoked a turkey. Prolly will convince my mom to let me smoke one for the family when I get home for thanksgiving break. Tonight, I am practicing with turkey legs. Hopefully they turn out ok.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I'm doing my practice breast tonight. We need one more person to do the wings and we'll have the whole thing covered.

I'm using the recipe at amazingribs.com, but I didn't like the look of his rub (just not a fan of those herbs) so I went with a mild jerk rub. I hosed up last night and forgot the instructions aid to leave salt out of the rub if you've brined or injected it already, but I'm hoping it isn't a big deal.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Speaking of smoking turkey, my mom asked if I'd do one for our Thanksgiving. The problem is that my WSM and her house are 300 miles apart, so I'd have to do it a couple of days in advance at my house and reheat at my parents'. Is that doable? I'm thinking I'd just store it in the fridge, transport it in a cooler, and reheat in the oven at < 200 degrees.

Fake edit: Or hell, just serve cold and reheat individual pieces as needed - that may be the best option.

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em
^^^^
Greenberg makes tasty commercially smoked turkeys, here are their instructions on reheating
https://www.gobblegobble.com/instructions.php

Choadmaster posted:

I'm hoping to do a turkey next week

I just did some Turkey Legs this weekend on my NBBD.
Brined them for 4 hours then patted them dry and applied a dry rub.
Smoked on pecan and kept it around 325.
finished off with a bbq sauce glaze

Please excuse my horrible photos I'm bad with cameras

Gegil fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 6, 2012

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Looks tasty! And here's my luscious breast... (Actually didn't turn out that great. Not bad either though.)

Like I said earlier, I was working off of this recipe at amazingribs.com. I injected the breast and put the rub on the day before cooking. The rub is the only place I didn't quite follow the recipe (I used a mild jerk rub rather than his).

It said to put the rub on under the skin. I wasn't really sure how to get under there. I poked an prodded from a few different directions but ended up going in through a hole I cut in the middle of each side. If there's a better way, let me know (though at the very least I'll cut it in a less conspicuous place next time!).

I made the gravy as recommended, but cut all the ingredients in half since I didn't have much turkey (and hence drippings) to work with. I didn't have the neck and other bits either, though the breast did come with a lot of extra skin that I trimmed off and dumped in there.

Then I discovered a problem: the Masterbuilt electric smoker only goes up to 275° rather than the 325° recommended in the recipe (I guess I should have tested it beforehand, but it wouldn't have made any difference anyway). The recipe does say less than 325° is okay (obviously it'll take longer) but I wanted to make sure the skin came out crispy enough, so I decided to transfer it to the oven after the smoking portion of the cook was completed.

And then I managed to gently caress up the smoking portion too :downs: - the AMNPS went out about a third of the way through (~40 mins) but I didn't notice. The thing has been reliable thus far so I wasn't watching closely. Thus this breast and the gravy wasn't really smoked. Speaking of the gravy, when things were all said and done this is how it looked:

It wasn't too flavorful, but then it was missing a lot of what should have gone into it. I'll try not to judge the gravy until my next practice run, which I'll use a whole turkey for.

The turkey itself definitely came out incredibly moist and tender, but it too was a bit lacking in flavor. Like I said in my earlier post, I actually worried it might come out oversalted, but that wasn't even remotely a problem. I probably didn't inject enough of the marinade.

It was an interesting trial run, but I think I hosed too much up to have an opinion on that recipe. I'll try again in a week (and I'm going to start off that batch of gravy with some delicious turkey stock I made of the remnants of this breast, so it had better be good).

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Nov 7, 2012

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
First, thanks for that site. It's amazing! I've done a bunch of birds in my smoker and I still picked up some good tips.

Second, to put butter/seasonings under the skin I usually just work my hand up under the skin starting at the loose skin near the cavity opening. I just smooth the skin down against the meat when I'm done adding the seasonings.

I've always been a brine guy myself but I think I'll try injecting next time just to compare.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Canuckistan posted:

Second, to put butter/seasonings under the skin I usually just work my hand up under the skin starting at the loose skin near the cavity opening. I just smooth the skin down against the meat when I'm done adding the seasonings.

Yes, if you just go slowly you can basically separate the skin from the entire breast side of the bird without making any additional holes.

Just be careful if you decide to shove chunks of garlic in it, because it comes out a lot stronger than you'd expect.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
I know its not necessarily slow smoking, but I just got the weber rotisserie attachment for my 22" kettle. Can't wait to check it out this weekend. Leaning toward a turkey, use it as a trial run for Thanksgiving. Will make sure to post pics.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Do they have such a thing for the 18.5" model too? I would be quite interested in one for making döner kebab or gyros.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

His Divine Shadow posted:

Do they have such a thing for the 18.5" model too? I would be quite interested in one for making döner kebab or gyros.

I do not find any mention of one for the 18.5" model on weber's site.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
I have an electric Weber grill (Weber Q series and not out of choice but of necessity) and I'm wondering if I can purchase a smoker box and just place it directly on my heating element. Will this work or am I pretty much poo poo out of luck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

WaterIsPoison posted:

I have an electric Weber grill (Weber Q series and not out of choice but of necessity) and I'm wondering if I can purchase a smoker box and just place it directly on my heating element. Will this work or am I pretty much poo poo out of luck?

Don't see why not. Should be fine.