Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Kotaku did something useful, tested the gamepad range out:
http://kotaku.com/5958862/my-wii-u-is-in-the-living-room-but-i-can-play-its-games-in-my-bedroom

Chaltab posted:

It occurs to me that since the Wii U goes into 'Wii Mode' when playing a Wii game, is it possible that some of the methods of cracking the Wii and installing Homebrew Channel might work still? It's probably a long shot but if the Wii mode of the Wii U is as devoid of U options as the Gamecube mode of the Wii is of anything involving bluetooth or IR?

Then again, that would be a ridiculously huge security hole.
Wouldn't be too surprised if stuff still works in the mode but I'd expect it to be sandboxed to hell so that the Wii U side of things is still safe, like DS stuff on 3DS.

IGN mentioned for Wii mode you have to use the remote so yeah it's looking pretty bleak as far as U functionality in Wii mode barring unforeseen updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Nickoten posted:

This is the first time I've ever pre-ordered a console, so I have to ask - does pre-ordering one usually mean you get it pretty close to release? I don't know if stores actually get enough systems to fill their pre-order count, and I suspect that plenty of people who pre-ordered the Wii and PS3 didn't get them on launch day judging by what I remember of that time, but I don't know for sure.

Pretty sure that pre-orders are guaranteed stock, at least it is here in AU.
Places would probably be allocated a number of units and will stop selling when they hit that allocation.

Likewise they may stop pre-orders short of allocation to sell generally on launch.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Xavier434 posted:

I will personally be waiting to see if the homebrew community comes up with a solution to this if one is even necessary before attempting to transfer.

Knowing Nintendo, all they'd have to do is push out another HBC update that changes the ID of the channel to something else.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

With the 3ds still being bullet proof and the new online system and storage allowing for far better, more secure patches, I think Homebrew's gonna have to throw up their arms.

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009
I just got stupid lucky or something, bestbuy.ca had 1 white Wii U left and someone decided to get it as a christmas gift for me. Kinda wanted the black one but whatever, it's free.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Will I have to do all of that if I just want to transfer my save data? I mostly want to keep my Mario Galaxy saves. :shobon:

Apparently you can't elect to transfer certain bits and pieces like you can on 3DS, it's all or nothing.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Bobnumerotres posted:

With the 3ds still being bullet proof and the new online system and storage allowing for far better, more secure patches, I think Homebrew's gonna have to throw up their arms.

Yeah, considering how locked down the 3DS has been with flash carts and whatnot, I'd be surprised if Nintendo left the WiiU as open as the Wii was, especially now that they're fully aware of what people are doing to hack the system. Still, having the WiiU read external drives and SD cards MAY mean hackers can find a way around it, but who knows.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

This reminds me of an idea I had for an add-on to game consoles and/or smart TV boxes. It would basically be a small, cheap set-top box with an HDMI-out that wirelessly streams video from a main console and acts a range-extender for the controller. So say I get booted off the TV in the living room, I can take the controller into a room with another TV. The box detects the controller and tells the console that I've switched from "Living Room" to "Rake Arms' Room," so the console can load my personal settings, switch remote codes, etc. Could something like that be sold for less than $100? Or even work? I mean, it's basically the same idea as whole-home DVR, but applied to games.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Xavier434 posted:

I will personally be waiting to see if the homebrew community comes up with a solution to this if one is even necessary before attempting to transfer.

It would be awesome if it effectively "grandfathers" the HBC for you. One can only hope.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
So is anyone else here picking up Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed? I thought it was a safe title pick, especially at $39.99 and including online play. Plus the idea of playing as Vyse from Skies of Arcadia was too much to pass up.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Rake Arms posted:

This reminds me of an idea I had for an add-on to game consoles and/or smart TV boxes. It would basically be a small, cheap set-top box with an HDMI-out that wirelessly streams video from a main console and acts a range-extender for the controller. So say I get booted off the TV in the living room, I can take the controller into a room with another TV. The box detects the controller and tells the console that I've switched from "Living Room" to "Rake Arms' Room," so the console can load my personal settings, switch remote codes, etc. Could something like that be sold for less than $100? Or even work? I mean, it's basically the same idea as whole-home DVR, but applied to games.

I feel like even supposing it could work, latency might become a problem, though?

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

So is anyone else here picking up Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed? I thought it was a safe title pick, especially at $39.99 and including online play. Plus the idea of playing as Vyse from Skies of Arcadia was too much to pass up.

I am, but not on Wii U. The first Sonic Kart was surprisingly good, and I enjoyed it a lot more than either of the last two Mario Kart games. The item balance is a lot better, so you don't get randomly dicked over in the last lap by eight blue shells in a row.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Rake Arms posted:

I figure in theory something like that should be possible, main issues being compatibility with different controllers (unless it just came with a special universal one) and mostly just latency in the video signal and controls.

Of course you could go ghetto and do it all with wires to get around that, but you'd lose any semblance of an easy setup/installation that way.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Getting it too, price appeals to the cheapskate in me, plus the Outrun track in the "bonus edition" will hopefully be nice. (I'd buy Outrun 2 yet again if it came out on the eShop!)

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I miss Outrun 2 / Outrun Online Arcade so much. drat Sega let the rights lapse and never got them back :(

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I am considering it, although I literally didn't know I was getting a Wii U until an hour ago so I am considering a lot of games.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

TechnoSyndrome posted:

I am, but not on Wii U. The first Sonic Kart was surprisingly good, and I enjoyed it a lot more than either of the last two Mario Kart games. The item balance is a lot better, so you don't get randomly dicked over in the last lap by eight blue shells in a row.

I am in the minority when it comes to blue shells because I love it. Mario Kart is not about good manuevering, it's about outsmarting the other players.

japtor posted:

Getting it too, price appeals to the cheapskate in me, plus the Outrun track in the "bonus edition" will hopefully be nice. (I'd buy Outrun 2 yet again if it came out on the eShop!)

A bonus edition? Is that from pre-ordering?

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I am in the minority when it comes to blue shells because I love it. Mario Kart is not about good manuevering, it's about outsmarting the other players.

There's nothing smart about blue shells. Blue shells are horrid.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

SilentD posted:

There's nothing smart about blue shells. Blue shells are horrid.

Racing to first early and thinking you should win just because of that is dumb.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

The person in seventh getting a blue shell that doesn't actually help them in any way is dumb.

There's no way to plan around the blue shell, you get it randomly when you're in like sixth place or below, but at the same time it's not guaranteed to appear. And even when you do get it it doesn't do you any good, it just randomly lets the person in second place win instead.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Make the blue shell hit the guy 2 places ahead of you. There, sounds good, right?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Didn't the blue shell used to hit anybody that was in its way before hitting the leader, before they decided that it should just harmlessly fly over everything and hit only the leader?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Isn't it a racing game? I kind of hate Mario Kart for this reason. I hate how arbitrary everything seems. I like green shells as a mechanic but pretty much nothing else and that's why I never buy Mario Kart games.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Isn't it a racing game? I kind of hate Mario Kart for this reason. I hate how arbitrary everything seems. I like green shells as a mechanic but pretty much nothing else and that's why I never buy Mario Kart games.

Red shells are fine. They can be avoided or blocked if you plan ahead. Bananas are cool too, they can block red shells, take some skill to place in a way to get your opponent, and if you are extremely quick you can save yourself from spinning out if you run over one by tapping the brakes. Lightning bolt impacts all players equally except for someone really far behind already, allowing the race to get more competitive. Mushroom gives you a speed boost which you want to strategically save to take a shortcut more easily or to get speed again when you're stopped. These are all fairly well balanced items, but then you have the blue shell which only exists to screw over whoever is in first place.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

It's the first print run afaik, so if you preorder or just buy around launch you should get it no problem...and depending on its sales in your area it might linger around on shelves for a while anyway like most special editions.

Mercury Crusader posted:

Didn't the blue shell used to hit anybody that was in its way before hitting the leader, before they decided that it should just harmlessly fly over everything and hit only the leader?
It was ground based and I thought it hit everyone, but MK wikis I just read say it could be avoided, the MK7 one works similarly actually.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Mercury Crusader posted:

Yes, and it was changed back to the former for Mario Kart 7.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Sonic Kart's rubber-band item is the All-Stars move or whatever it's called, but each driver has an individual move so they range from moderately helpful to completely useless.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Iwata Asks #7547575675765: Wii U Internet Browser! (click)

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Nintendo posted:

17. Nintendo European Research and Development SAS France (NERD)
NERD has a number of skilled engineers with experience and expertise in video playback technology

I'm glad to hear Nintendo is working on a kick-rear end browser with a hilarious/appropriate team name.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Well, Mario Kart Wii had the worst item balance by a long shot.

Not even talking about the cheating AI on higher difficulties that spit five blue shells a minute, the game added the ridiculous Bullet Bill power-up and beefed up all the "ultimate" items (mega shroom, lightning bolt, blue shell), and they're incredibly common.

Mario Kart 7 toned it down a lot. To the point where seeing two blue shells a match was unusual, and the super power ups were only given to players in very, very desperate need.

I hope for Mario kart U they continue down this path and make it even stricter, having the super power-ups be pretty drat rare, or maybe even invent a new, more balanced item system.

I think people in the back should be given a small break or else it feels futile to keep racing, and it makes it more interesting for players who are far in the lead. Being constantly loving barraged by lightning and blue shells is not a small break.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Nov 9, 2012

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Oh yeah, the item balance was really good in 7. You actually had to work your way up to first place, instead of it being handed to you on a silver platter if you're lagging behind. (Wii was absolutely horrendous about this.) The first place player still needs better defensive options, but it's a lot better than what was in previous games. And Blue Shells are actually useful this time around, instead of simply being a middle finger to the player in first. That said, the single player AI is still pretty vicious and loves to trample all over you even if you make a small mistake, or have the tiniest bit of bad luck in a race. :argh: Really hope they improve on this in the inevitable Mario Kart U.

^I think the main issue with Wii was that it had 12 racers instead of 8, which threw the item balance completely out of whack.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Tsuda posted:

I think so. I think it has turned out to be an application that has depth yet easy to get into, so all sorts of people from beginners to experts can enjoy its ease of use. Also, thanks to a JavaScript extension, which is unique to Wii U, websites can detect the buttons and gyro sensor used by the Wii U GamePad.

Am I reading that right? If so that's a pretty big deal. Anyone could program a browser based game to just accept controller input. Hell there are those emulator sites already existing, Minecraft, etc. Now obviously those aren't going to be compatible with this browser, but anyone who wanted to could make something that is.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

greatn posted:

Am I reading that right? If so that's a pretty big deal. Anyone could program a browser based game to just accept controller input. Hell there are those emulator sites already existing, Minecraft, etc. Now obviously those aren't going to be compatible with this browser, but anyone who wanted to could make something that is.

Why wouldn't they be compatible?

poo poo that'd be awesome if you could play quake live through the Wii U.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Oh yeah, that never occurred to me. One of those emulator-in-a-browser sites is bound to do just that.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Bobnumerotres posted:

Why wouldn't they be compatible?

poo poo that'd be awesome if you could play quake live through the Wii U.

Well cause they were designed before the Wi U, they won't have javascript code in them for Wii U specific features yet. They might be able to be added but that depends on how extensive the javascript support is.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Well, Mario Kart Wii had the worst item balance by a long shot.
I had pretty good luck playing with the "Strategic" item set in the Options. Single and triple mushrooms, single and triple green shells, single red shells, lone bananas, and the very rare thundercloud or ghost, and that's it. :)

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

XkyRauh posted:

I had pretty good luck playing with the "Strategic" item set in the Options. Single and triple mushrooms, single and triple green shells, single red shells, lone bananas, and the very rare thundercloud or ghost, and that's it. :)

Except you couldn't play on this online or in the grand prix where it mattered.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Iwata unboxing the Wii U was pretty sweet, but god drat, seeing how loving shiny it is is going to make me want to play it with those gloves. I can't imagine how that thing is going to look after playing with it with smudges all over.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Liku posted:

Iwata unboxing the Wii U was pretty sweet, but god drat, seeing how loving shiny it is is going to make me want to play it with those gloves. I can't imagine how that thing is going to look after playing with it with smudges all over.

It's going to look like the original 3DS.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Liku posted:

The wii remotes are pretty shiny, I've had them for five years and there's no smudges on them. The only things I clean are the creases that get that sweat-green-gunk build up. The U controller is probably made out of similar stain-proof stuff.

Also: http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/09/when-nintendo-arrived-in-scribblenauts-unlimited :3: to the max. And the game's only going to be 30 bucks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
You could see the smudges in the Giant Bomb unboxing. Please let me buy a matte console :(

• Locked thread