Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

strangemusic posted:

Uuughhh.

How are you supposed to kill the Leviathan?

I run out of useful ammo long before denting his rear end.

To add onto ^^^, the blue thing on his chest is also a weak point. For the longest time I thought he had only three, his "eyes" and his "tongue," and I sat there shooting at his head like an idiot for 15 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

AnonSpore posted:

To add onto ^^^, the blue thing on his chest is also a weak point. For the longest time I thought he had only three, his "eyes" and his "tongue," and I sat there shooting at his head like an idiot for 15 minutes.

That being said... I feel like I'm pea-shootering him all the time. Somehow I managed to show up to his lair without Launcher ammo... :negative:

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
There's a safe spot in the rocks to the left of the hole you fall into from with the ammo crates. Nothing or maybe the slag spit will hit you. Take out three spots, kill the worms then run back and blow up the 4th to cheese it.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

fallin1 posted:

There's a safe spot in the rocks to the left of the hole you fall into from with the ammo crates. Nothing or maybe the slag spit will hit you. Take out three spots, kill the worms then run back and blow up the 4th to cheese it.

Or just use a Bee and a (preferably Hyperion) shotgun.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
How do you deal with the sheer amount of damage constantly being thrown your way in TVHM? I'm currently contemplating giving up on the mode after failing repeatedly to kill the Gluttonous Thresher, since if I can't get past this, there's no way I'm going to be able to do the next part of the quest in Overlook, which was hard enough on Normal. It seems like I can't even do enough damage to reliably take down a Gun Loader, even with 50+ stacks of Anarchy.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

You have to hide in cover a lot more, wait for your shields to regenerate, etc. I ran through TVHM solo as a Siren and it was a real pain in the rear end sometimes if you're not loaded up on legendaries and whatnot. The gluttonous thresher was probably where I died the most in the entire game, and I had to cheese a lot of fights with sniper rifles (like BNK3R).

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

The Berzerker posted:

You have to hide in cover a lot more, wait for your shields to regenerate, etc. I ran through TVHM solo as a Siren and it was a real pain in the rear end sometimes if you're not loaded up on legendaries and whatnot. The gluttonous thresher was probably where I died the most in the entire game, and I had to cheese a lot of fights with sniper rifles (like BNK3R).

I solo'd TVHM as a Hunter and it really wasn't so bad. I had a sweet +5 unforeseen +4 velocity class mod. I used Kunai and combined with the giant fuckoff electric explosion (+10) could take out huge groups of enemies and I could almost one shot super bad rear end loaders. I didn't use the bee either (I could never get one :( )

The hardest part of the game for me was getting to BNK3R itself.

Edit: vvv That's definitely a big deal, my normal run on Sal was really tough by myself, I eventually just joined some pubby games for help.

ClemenSalad fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Nov 10, 2012

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I think Zero, Axton, and Gaige all have it a bit easier than Maya or Salvador because they have something to pull aggro off of them (hologram, turret(s), robot). If you're a Siren or Gunzerker in TVHM it can really suck to solo.

e: yeah I also never had any legendaries or anything to get me by because I'm not really into duping and I didn't want to farm until I actually hit 50.

e2: somebody gimme some heads.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's the sad part - I'm playing as Gaige, who has Deathtrap to pull of aggro and Anarchy for damage.

Yet I suck so much.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Any kind soul who could dupe me a CC or a Deliverance, I would love you forever.

PS3: burtology

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Well, the thresher was really tough for me. Are you using level-appropriate gear? I find that in TVHM, a lvl 43 white gun is probably better than a lvl 42 blue. Other than that, if you're really stuck, ask a goon to join your game and help kill the thing so you can move on.

Also, doesn't Anarchy make you crazy inaccurate and you have to get in close? I haven't played as Gaige yet but if that's the case, and you have to get in close to a thresher, that's probably a problem too. Maybe re-spec to something else for that fight, I dunno.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

The Berzerker posted:

Well, the thresher was really tough for me. Are you using level-appropriate gear? I find that in TVHM, a lvl 43 white gun is probably better than a lvl 42 blue. Other than that, if you're really stuck, ask a goon to join your game and help kill the thing so you can move on.

Also, doesn't Anarchy make you crazy inaccurate and you have to get in close? I haven't played as Gaige yet but if that's the case, and you have to get in close to a thresher, that's probably a problem too. Maybe re-spec to something else for that fight, I dunno.

I got lucky with the thresher he decided he hated robots more than me for a few crucial seconds to let my deception recover.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
If you're not overlevelled/overgeared for Thresher don't even try getting close to him. Aggro and drag him to the spot where the constructor was then run across the water to the back wall just below that little platform where engineers spawned. There is a little half wall you can duck behind and fight him from relatively safely.

If you're really worried about it you can wiggle around and snipe him between holes in the barrier. Otherwise you can just stand up, unload a clip and crouch back down before you get hit. Takes a ton of shots to kill him that way but it's safe.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
A ha ha. Dragging him to where the Constructor was would result in me dragging him to where the Constructor is, since I just dashed by it after a few deaths forced me to give up on killing it.

But overleveling / overgearing is impossible in TVHM considering the scaling nature of the mode, isn't it?

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Or just use a Bee and a (preferably Hyperion) shotgun.
I'm partial to the Badaboom myself, but either way works pretty well.

e: Salvador reminds me a lot of mage classes in a lot of action RPGs in that he starts off really weak but eventually becomes the strongest character in the endgame.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

A ha ha. Dragging him to where the Constructor was would result in me dragging him to where the Constructor is, since I just dashed by it after a few deaths forced me to give up on killing it.

But overleveling / overgearing is impossible in TVHM considering the scaling nature of the mode, isn't it?

The constructor can be easily taken out using the same sniping spot.

As for over levelling, sort of. It scales within a range and not everything turns 50-53 until you finish your second playthrough. Over gearing is usually just a matter of having level appropriate corrosion/shock purples, I like to use my keys in the mid 40s to tide me over till The Bee at 49.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I'm just in the bit before the Thresher in the main story (got past Leviathan by way of gratuitous 12-Pounder spam. thanks Big Sleep!) and kind of worried now. He seems to be a pretty well-regarded high water mark for TVHM skill level. I've done well against larger bosses thusfar in my run but we'll see how it goes.

EDIT: I just had a thought. Is there a damage ceiling in this game, as per older RPGs such as Final Fantasy where a single hit tops out at 9999 (or whatever power of ten you want to scale it to?)

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Nov 10, 2012

Xidus
Aug 7, 2000

The Berzerker posted:

I think Zero, Axton, and Gaige all have it a bit easier than Maya or Salvador because they have something to pull aggro off of them (hologram, turret(s), robot). If you're a Siren or Gunzerker in TVHM it can really suck to solo.

Siren has thoughtlock, which makes every non phaselock immune enemy trivial. Then you can tip Moxie every once in a while to get a new Good/Bad touch SMG and pair it with a +90% smg dmg class mod.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

strangemusic posted:

EDIT: I just had a thought. Is there a damage ceiling in this game, as per older RPGs such as Final Fantasy where a single hit tops out at 9999 (or whatever power of ten you want to scale it to?)

No - you can and will do hundreds of thousands of damage per hit at level 50 with the right gear and elemental weakness.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

The Rokstar posted:

I'm partial to the Badaboom myself, but either way works pretty well.

e: Salvador reminds me a lot of mage classes in a lot of action RPGs in that he starts off really weak but eventually becomes the strongest character in the endgame.

The Gunlust and Rampage tree final skills are just such gamechangers in terms of damage output that the game feels much easier once you get one. I'm glad I stuck it out because Sal's a really fun class to play once your build clicks.

First time through (with the Gunzerker) on TVHM that drat Thresher really wasn't so bad. He killed me once because I thought I could just steamroll him and that didn't happen and again because I was still being too aggressive. Bring at-level fire weapons and the biggest rocket launcher ya got. Also if you're a Gunzerker spamming double grenades is kind of a "gently caress you DIE" button.

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 10, 2012

SMexicandoanything
Oct 29, 2010

strangemusic posted:

I'm just in the bit before the Thresher in the main story (got past Leviathan by way of gratuitous 12-Pounder spam. thanks Big Sleep!) and kind of worried now. He seems to be a pretty well-regarded high water mark for TVHM skill level. I've done well against larger bosses thusfar in my run but we'll see how it goes.

I don't know why everyone has such a hard time with this guy, I solo'd him with Sal without too much trouble, and I was underlevelled. I guess the best advice I can give is to get an accurate gun so you can still put damage in while running, and make sure you have access to tentacles for second winding.
Honestly the Constructor immediately after him was way harder, I spent like 10 minutes killing him as opposed to maybe 2 on the Thresher.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
I got past the thresher as Maya on TVHM by spawning Loaders and letting the thresher aggro on them, and kept in the back with a shock weapon to take out shields if needed. By the time the Loaders were destroyed, the thresher was down to about 70% health, and my flame shotgun I had at the time was enough to do the trick. I had no legendaries at this point of the game.

Still cost me about 25 respawns and close to 40 minutes of time before I got lucky enough to finish it off after the initial Loader moonshot blitz.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

Xidus posted:

Siren has thoughtlock, which makes every non phaselock immune enemy trivial. Then you can tip Moxie every once in a while to get a new Good/Bad touch SMG and pair it with a +90% smg dmg class mod.

What stinks is apparently you can only get one bad touch and its the first time you tip her. So I've been reluctant to tip her below level 50.

Somebody
Jan 25, 2001

Heh
Shift codes as of 2 hours ago (still works):

PS3: CBWJ3-6HRZJ-6ZJK3-9BKBT-WH3FZ
X360: CBWJ3-6HRWR-3XRJ6-5FJBT-WH3H6

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

BGrifter posted:

The constructor can be easily taken out using the same sniping spot.

As for over levelling, sort of. It scales within a range and not everything turns 50-53 until you finish your second playthrough.
From what I've noticed, "new" areas (i.e. places you haven't visited in the story quest yet) or places which you may have visited before but are pertinent to the story quest will scale to the level of the current story quest. Areas which are not or are no longer pertinent to the main story quest will remain at the level they were when they were pertinent until playthrough 2.5. Areas further ahead in the game which you have access to before the main story quest gets to them, or areas which only pertain to sidequests (Lynchwood, for example) usually have a higher base level than the story.

The story quest will scale to exactly your level each time you start the next objective. Side quests you have not accepted should scale to this as well, but I didn't check when I played through. To be safe until someone can verify it, don't take on side quests until you've beaten the game a second time.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Somebody posted:

Thanks!

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

Somebody posted:

Nice got a sweet lvl 50 +90% Torgue mag size relic off of it!

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Xidus posted:

If you use Thoughtlock, do you get XP for the enemies your new buddy kills?

AdolChristin
Jul 10, 2006
The Grand Poobah
Any 360 goons out there want to dupe a CC for a down on his luck goon? I've been farming the warrior for about a day now and haven't seen orange one. I don't have much in the way to trade; I've got a level 50 low capacity bee and the orange firehawk quest shield at 50. I've a fire etech rail gun, a slag etech shotgun, corrosive etech tmp and the slayer of terramorphous mecromancer mod I can dupe.

e: Gamertag is "Big Old Donkey"

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

ClemenSalad posted:

What stinks is apparently you can only get one bad touch and its the first time you tip her. So I've been reluctant to tip her below level 50.

This is untrue! I've tipped and received 2 Bad Touches at different levels (but oddly never a Good Touch.)

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007

AdolChristin posted:

Any 360 goons out there want to dupe a CC for a down on his luck goon? I've been farming the warrior for about a day now and haven't seen orange one. I don't have much in the way to trade; I've got a level 50 low capacity bee and the orange firehawk quest shield at 50. I've a fire etech rail gun, a slag etech shotgun, corrosive etech tmp and the slayer of terramorphous mecromancer mod I can dupe.

e: Gamertag is "Big Old Donkey"

If you're still looking 7 hours from now, I can toss a fire and corrosive CC your way. I feel your pain with his poor drop rates. Spent two weeks killing the Warrior before I finally saw a CC, in a random Vending machine in Sanctuary...

Edit: my GT is hushi907

Poala Bear fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 10, 2012

AdolChristin
Jul 10, 2006
The Grand Poobah

strangemusic posted:

This is untrue! I've tipped and received 2 Bad Touches at different levels (but oddly never a Good Touch.)

You can always get a new bad touch scaled to the current story level by doing the following:

Log in a second controller as a guest; trade the guest some cash. Have the guest go give the money to Moxxy and then trade the bad touch back to you!

Poala Bear posted:

If you're still looking 7 hours from now, I can toss a fire and corrosive CC your way. I feel your pain with his poor drop rates. Spent two weeks killing the Warrior before I finally saw a CC, in a random Vending machine in Sanctuary...

I hope I'm not still looking in 7 hours :smith:
I may have to take you up on your offer though if what you say is true!

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

strangemusic posted:

The internet lied to me!!!

Why would someone do that? Just go on the internet and tell lies?

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all
Is Salvador's skill money shot now broken for explosive type shots? It used to work with a old shotgun I had but using a new torque rifle the bonus doesn't seem to apply to the final shot even though the sound effect still plays.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
When you beat the Warrior as part of the final quest he's guaranteed to drop at least one orange, right? That's how I got my CC. If I had to farm him I'd cry.

Although since the final area is completely clear of enemies until you reach him, I've thought about maybe using him to boost new characters with the bonus that I'll be farming at the same time.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

The Rokstar posted:

When you beat the Warrior as part of the final quest he's guaranteed to drop at least one orange, right? That's how I got my CC. If I had to farm him I'd cry.

Although since the final area is completely clear of enemies until you reach him, I've thought about maybe using him to boost new characters with the bonus that I'll be farming at the same time.

Who told you that it was a 100% drop? First time I cleared the Warrior, I didn't get a legendary.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I have a question about boosting.

I'm at 42/50 and just finished up the Overlook beacon defense in TVHM. I really want to get to 50 and stop worrying about obsolete loot/quests. If I boost up to 50 with Flesh-Stick, can I start collecting sidequest loot right away scaled at the level cap, or does it HAVE to be playthrough 2.5?

I just really want the lv.50 Babymaker something fierce, to be honest.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

DarkstarIV posted:

Who told you that it was a 100% drop? First time I cleared the Warrior, I didn't get a legendary.

Several of my friends got legendaires the first time they killed the Warrior, lucky bastards.

I didn't get poo poo when I killed him in PT1 or 2 :(

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

DarkstarIV posted:

There's a chance you did and it just ended up in the lava or stuck under his body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

RandolphCarter posted:

There's a chance you did and it just ended up in the lava or stuck under his body.

Nope. Didn't get a legendary from it. I looked everywhere after I killed him the first time. All that was stuck in him was a bunch of whites.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 10, 2012

• Locked thread