Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Pesky Splinter posted:

Up to the standards of DMCs 3 and 4? Probably not.

I think managing "Better than 2" is good enough. To be completely honest, the battle system looks worse than God of War, but is probably an improvement over their previous titles like Heavenly Blade. I've never played it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

User0015 posted:

I think managing "Better than 2" is good enough. To be completely honest, the battle system looks worse than God of War, but is probably an improvement over their previous titles like Heavenly Blade. I've never played it though.

"Better than 2" really shouldn't be considered good because 2 wasn't just a bad DMC game, it was a bad game. It was a bad game even by the standard of when it came out, let alone by the improved standards set by DMC3 or Bayonetta or Ninja Gaiden or any of the games released afterwards.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

ImpAtom posted:

"Better than 2" really shouldn't be considered good because 2 wasn't just a bad DMC game, it was a bad game. It was a bad game even by the standard of when it came out, let alone by the improved standards set by DMC3 or Bayonetta or Ninja Gaiden or any of the games released afterwards.

Looking at it from nearly any angle, DMC2 is a pretty bad game; visually looks like garbage, gameplay is unfun, unfair and tedious, the story is...what ever the gently caress it is...level progression and design is shoddily put together. About the only okay thing is the music.

The only games I can think of that're as comparatively bad off the top of my head, are Bullet Witch and Drakengard (and the only thing that's got going for it is the insane story and hosed up music).

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Nov 10, 2012

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Pesky Splinter posted:

I thought this was why the issue was being brought up. Short of the videos where he's in direct sunlight (the orangey city ones), it's like he tends to fade into the background slightly. Without even going into comparisions with the Old Dante design, a very dark colour like his jacket gets lost in some of the very greyish/dark blue/green levels. A faded rusty red on his lapels and hoodie isn't gonna cut it when most of the time you're going to be looking at his back.

Have the people who've played it said anything about losing him in the action? If they have, then it's a problem.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Bonaventure posted:

Have the people who've played it said anything about losing him in the action? If they have, then it's a problem.

I'm just checking to see if it's a specific thing that's been brought up before. Most of the so far complaints seem to be directed against the lock-on and how the whip can be a little finicky if you're not aiming the camera right.

[e]: Huh, well I can't find any players' account of it. Only from people who've watched the videos rather than played it. If that's the case, I've no shame in admitting I'm wrong. :)

...but that still doesn't excuse the grey/brown jacket in the dark-hued environments from a design perspective though. :colbert:

[e2]:While it had Gothic parts to it, DMC4 looks more Baroque than Gothic :spergin:
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 10, 2012

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Oh shut it, you.

A large part of my enjoyment is the hammy charm of DMC. :colbert:

With DmC everything I like about the series is gone in a puff of smoke. The whole heavily laden Gothic architecture, the big splash of red color in a world of muted dark hues:

The games (bar 2, big exception if there ever was one) just had this aura of FUN that really drew me in.

I've largely preferred the art design in this game to past games. The Gothic architecture was starting to get old hat by 4, honestly.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
The gothic style was pretty much completely absent by DMC4, except for a bit of Castle Fortuna. Most of the time in that game you were in a bright city/jungle or a dingy 50's sci-fi style secret laboratory.
Honestly most of the style in the environments went out the window after the original game. Despite DMC3 and 4 having superior mechanics they never felt as cohesive from an artistic or narrative point as the original DMC was.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Isn't Kamiya big on elaborate architecture? I got that impression from the two first Resident Evil games and of course, DMC1.

I wouldn't say that DMC3 lost it's visual charm though, I thought it was better than DMC4 at keeping a consistent style in enviroment design. The latter doesn't do itself any favours by having the 2nd half of the game be backtracking through the same levels of course, but the jungle looked flat and the citadel place after Fortuna was mostly boring apart from certain setpieces.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Nov 10, 2012

dontmorelikewont
Oct 10, 2007
Does anyone know if NT is doing anything to reduce the input lag to around 60 fps levels. All I see in interviews is how Capcom has learned how to get the feel of 60 fps but nothing on how they might integrate this into the game. Like the need for speed developers managed to reduce their input lag at 30 fps to around their former game's 60 fps levels

quote:

The result is quite extraordinary. Criterion's last major game, Burnout Paradise, ran at 60FPS and offered a 66ms input lag. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, capped at 30FPS offers an 83ms response: just one additional frame of latency for a game running at half the frame-rate of its predecessor. The PC version was faster still, measured at an incredible 50ms of end-to-end lag.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/digitalfoundry-tech-focus-battle-against-latency

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Didn't Ninja Gaiden Vita do something similar?

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO72u1qTt14

"Take control of Dan-tee, as he fights against the demon lord Munn-dus and even his own brother, Vur-gill."

Rather than get angry at this video, I'd like to imagine what a Devil May Cry reboot could have done to revitalise the series. Each game so far has had a new setting, and a new take on Dante, although not quite as drastic as this one. What innovations to the combat does this game bring to the series? Is there anything that's entirely new to this game, or done in a much more elegant way than before?

Here's an idea that might have made combat a little more interesting. Imagine being able to attach a rubber band between yourself and an enemy. You could just fight normally, and it would prevent the enemy from keeping out of your reach, or you could use the band to swing the enemy around for an area-of-effect attack, or swing them right over your head for a massively powerful slam.

The way the elastic would work is that the faster the enemy is moving, the more damage your attacks would do to it. For example, you could smash the enemy away, the rubber band would send them flying back towards you and a well-timed stinger attack could kill them instantly.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I suppose the ability of having three weapons available on the fly, and quickly being able to shift through them is innovative. The downside of course is having to hold the buttons down, to enable that weapon's effect.

DMC4's problem was having to cycle through three weapons, which was slightly awkward, sometimes accidently using the weapon you didn't want, because you keep thinking you're playing DMC3 :v:

I can't really call the Angel/Demon whip innovative - it's basically the Devil Bringer split into two functions. With Heavenly Sword mechanics thrown in also.

I wouldn't mind seeing a sandbox type game with DMC mechanics in it, if we're talking about what hypothetical new things they could do. I struggling to think of actual combat things though.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The closest thing to an open world game like DMC (I don't even like using that acronym anymore :smith:) are Radical's Hulk and Prototype titles, out of those I think Hulk was probably the best one. There is something more organic about a setting where people can march in from off-screen at any moment and get slapped around by you that makes it feel like a fun alternative to segmented sections with respawning enemies that pop up if you load another area and come back. The real challenge is making sure that the set pieces are as good, which is a harder thing to do if you can access the majority of the game's environments at any given time.

Also, the enemies in those games kind of sucked in comparison to character action game-style enemies, except the mech suit guys in Hulk that you could pin to the environment by nailing them with a tree or a lamp post

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

I wouldn't mind seeing a sandbox type game with DMC mechanics in it, if we're talking about what hypothetical new things they could do. I struggling to think of actual combat things though.

Didn't Dragon's Dogma have a class whose moveset was inspired by Devil May Cry? I think it was made by the same people behind Devil May Cry.

You could also add the ability to hover in mid-air, although then the combat would be more reminiscent of Zone of the Enders. You could use a jetpack for both movement and attacking, such as the Jet ability in Kirby Super Star.

My point is, changing the visual style and dumbing down the mechanics is not a good way to keep a series fresh and interesting. There are still tons of new mechanics that could fit in the series' classic gameplay.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Ya'know, maybe I wouldn't be so irked by the ridiculous story and character redesign if the developers didn't spend so much time self-fellating themselves over it. The level design honestly does look pretty kickass just from an aesthetics point of view and I'll probably be playing through the game just to see all the weird ideas they had for the levels.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
Well when I stopped following news about this game it was getting close to launch and I'd seen plenty of things that looked like NT were going in the right direction. Vergil had a pretty nice design going, the combat looked alright-not-great compared to DMC but decent compared to say Dante's Inferno and I thought it'd be worth a rent at least. What the gently caress happened between then and now to make Dante fingering his own gaping chest wound make any kind of sense?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Nothing really "happened", it's just that as the marketing campaign dribbles out more info you get a clearer picture of the tone NT is setting for this game. DmC is going to try to completely straight-faced play this drama of the half angel/half demon ridiculous premise while trying to patronize as many youth movements as they can.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
Yeah I'm just disappointed cause there was a fair amount of promising stuff at one point, looking back through the thread it doesn't seem like it went anywhere though. They're back to making political statements to fans of an anime hack and slash series.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
PS3 footage if anyone's interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxaq8sYZazY

I'm not sure if the slight pixallation at 3:00 is an artifact of the recording or deliberate or just the PS3 system itself.

That axe is still looking rather overpowered. The Divinity Statue menus are refreshingly familiar though. And the areas themselves are looking very nice.

[e]: Xbox version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcKK4_O1wUM

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Nov 11, 2012

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I can't tell what any of those enemies are supposed to be. They all look like patchwork black and gray ragdolls.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

Noticed a fair amount of attacks/gunshots that weren't actually directed anywhere, despite there being several enemies nearby to hit, really not liking the look of that auto-lock, or the lack thereof.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
[e]: If there's one thing they really need to sort out for this system, it's getting that auto lock-on working more solidly.

Porcelain mannequin doll things with sinews made of flesh and tar. And occasionally wings or horns. They remind me somewhat of the 'Ruins' from Alice: Madness Returns.

I don't mind their designs really - the only ones I'm not too keen on, are the ones which are basically robots - like that one with a crotchface, whichever one it is.

I hope however, the unseen boss designs are more interesting than the ones they've shown thus far: Poison is not that impressive and the Hunter is just Orangguerra 2.0, though the Not-Glenn Beck boss is looking pretty interesting being made of all TVs and that. And considering that it's heavily implied Mundus turns into a huge gently caress-off building, it'd be nice to see a Nefasturris-like boss again..

[e2]: Project X Zone Dante's attacks.

It has Sparda rocking the gently caress out. :rock:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 12, 2012

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Pesky Splinter posted:

^^^
[e]: If there's one thing they really need to sort out for this system, it's getting that auto lock-on working more solidly.

Porcelain mannequin doll things with sinews made of flesh and tar. And occasionally wings or horns. They remind me somewhat of the 'Ruins' from Alice: Madness Returns.

Gilded porcelain exterior, concealing something horrible underneath? Reminds me of every enemy in Bayonetta, except less interesting.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Pesky Splinter posted:

I hope however, the unseen boss designs are more interesting than the ones they've shown thus far: Poison is not that impressive and the Hunter is just Orangguerra 2.0, though the Not-Glenn Beck boss is looking pretty interesting being made of all TVs and that. And considering that it's heavily implied Mundus turns into a huge gently caress-off building, it'd be nice to see a Nefasturris-like boss again..

Why would anyone ever do that boss again? That was one of the worst and most boring fights from 2. :psyduck:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

You know, the gameplay doesn't look so bad in this one. If it wasn't calling itself Devil May Cry, it would be a pretty decent action game.

The auto lock-on is still terrible. At one point, he uses the move where he twirls the scythe vertically, and the enemy standing just a few degrees to the side is missed completely. Having lock-on not only keeps the enemy on screen, it also directs all your attacks towards it.

They could have picked a voice actor who didn't sound like he's just reading from the script for the first time. For the supposedly badass, punk-rocker vibe they tried to have in this game, it doesn't really work if he's always talking like :geno:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

randombattle posted:

Why would anyone ever do that boss again? That was one of the worst and most boring fights from 2. :psyduck:

To be fair, that particular boss idea could be really cool if done right. But this is the developers who decided to remove lock-on in favor of two dodge buttons, so not much chance of that happening.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

That loving Sned posted:

They could have picked a voice actor who didn't sound like he's just reading from the script for the first time. For the supposedly badass, punk-rocker vibe they tried to have in this game, it doesn't really work if he's always talking like :geno:

I once posted that I thought the voice actors for Dante and Vergil were probably competent, it's just that their lines sound really overwrought and dumb; that video is making me regret because holy poo poo, New Dante's VA must be phoning it in.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Pesky Splinter posted:

PS3 footage if anyone's interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxaq8sYZazY

I'm not sure if the slight pixallation at 3:00 is an artifact of the recording or deliberate or just the PS3 system itself.

That axe is still looking rather overpowered. The Divinity Statue menus are refreshingly familiar though. And the areas themselves are looking very nice.

[e]: Xbox version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcKK4_O1wUM

The camera looks really awkward, too close and flat to the ground. Enemies are blocked by Dante and go off screen too easily when jumping or moving around.

Edit: Something about the animations seems really off to me. It feels like the weapons are leading the animations, with Dante following. It looks weirdly stiff with no grunt behind attacks.

Bleep fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Nov 12, 2012

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Bonaventure posted:

The joke is that the games have always been obsessed with looking cool. It has a Style meter that you use to build Style and are graded on how Stylish you are. DMC2's Diesel thing is not an aberration. Disbelieve it if you want, but DMC3 Dante is supposed to look cool.

But he does look cool! That red anime jacket is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. Even the lamest rank in DMC3 is Dope!, that's just short of cool.

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Nov 12, 2012

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

weird bleep posted:

The camera looks really awkward, too close and flat to the ground. Enemies are blocked by Dante and go off screen too easily when jumping or moving around.

Edit: Something about the animations seems really off to me. It feels like the weapons are leading the animations, with Dante following. It looks weirdly stiff with no grunt behind attacks.

That's what I was thinking.
Especially Stinger.

VV Oh yes. New weapon but no showoff cutscene? In DMC? For shame NT, FOR SHAME.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Nov 12, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

That loving Sned posted:

You know, the gameplay doesn't look so bad in this one. If it wasn't calling itself Devil May Cry, it would be a pretty decent action game.

The auto lock-on is still terrible. At one point, he uses the move where he twirls the scythe vertically, and the enemy standing just a few degrees to the side is missed completely. Having lock-on not only keeps the enemy on screen, it also directs all your attacks towards it.

Really, if they sorted out the lock-on and tweaked some other stuff (not having a short cinematic of Dante scowling at something every thirty seconds), it's looking to be a pretty okay game. That said, no way in hell is this a DMC game in anything, but name only.

I'm disappointed that the only reaction from Dante gaining a new weapon was, "Hell yeah. :geno:". Given how much of a hard on NT have for cinematics, maybe having Dante actually look at his new weapon and play around with it, would make that scene a little better. Not just standing there grimly, with bugger all to do.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Honest Thief posted:

But he does look cool! That red anime jacket is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. Even the lamest rank in DMC3 is Dope!, that's just short of cool.

I always thought the shirtless thing was dumb, though.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
The animations are sloppy looking on purpose, NT have gone on record saying they wanted to make this young Dante seem less refined and skilled. As a consequence it looks like he doesn't quite have full control of his sword, with the weight of it sort of leading him around. From an animation standpoint it's actually quite impressive, their artists really got the heft down.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Azure_Horizon posted:

I always thought the shirtless thing was dumb, though.

Judging from the art book, they did have a few other designs for Dante:

Brown zip-up shirt

Clasp Jacket thing.

DMC4 had a few more, which makes me wish they put them in as other Costumes:

Some are heavily reminiscent of his DMC1 art concepts.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Nov 12, 2012

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

notZaar posted:

The animations are sloppy looking on purpose, NT have gone on record saying they wanted to make this young Dante seem less refined and skilled. As a consequence it looks like he doesn't quite have full control of his sword, with the weight of it sort of leading him around. From an animation standpoint it's actually quite impressive, their artists really got the heft down.

Arguably, Dante's most iconic move is Stinger, and a cutscene in DMC4 makes it look insanely smooth. Like, he's gliding over the floor like a cruise missile.

The idea of young Dante hanging on to his sword while it shoots forward like Thor "flying" with Mjolnir is actually pretty funny.

vvv: Assassin's Creed 2 did this to a subtle but cool-in-hindsight degree. Imp's idea sounds really cool though, but I figure they might get away by speeding up animations and broadening cancellable frames at higher style rankings. Purely from a gameplay perspective though, it'll probably look goofy if you take these detailed animations and play them at twice the speed or something.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Nov 12, 2012

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

What would actually be a pretty neat idea is if in the beginning of the game Dante's animations are sloppy "hanging on to the sword as it swings" and through the game they get more and more refined until at the end he's almost like his old self again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The problem with "Dante is sloppy and getting used to fighting" as an animation decision is that... well, once again it doesn't really mesh with gameplay. I feel like the best way to handle it (and if they do this bravo) is that Dante's animations should change with your style ranking. If you're playing crap then Dante looks awkward and sloppy. If you're SSS-ranking it then he shouldn't look like he barely know what he's doing, he should look crazy skilled.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

The problem with "Dante is sloppy and getting used to fighting" as an animation decision is that... well, once again it doesn't really mesh with gameplay. I feel like the best way to handle it (and if they do this bravo) is that Dante's animations should change with your style ranking. If you're playing crap then Dante looks awkward and sloppy. If you're SSS-ranking it then he shouldn't look like he barely know what he's doing, he should look crazy skilled.

This would work a hell of a lot better in a game where it took more than one attack to move up a rank. As is, if you implemented that system you'd maybe get half a second of different styles so Dante would look even more flail-y.

EDIT: So is there a demo out for the general public yet? I'm wanting to try out the whip-thing. Hopefully it'll be as smooth and interesting as Nero's Devil Bringer.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So is there a demo out for the general public yet? I'm wanting to try out the whip-thing. Hopefully it'll be as smooth and interesting as Nero's Devil Bringer.

20th of this month for XBOX, 21st for PS3.

toasterwarrior posted:

Imp's idea sounds really cool though, but I figure they might get away by speeding up animations and broadening cancellable frames at higher style rankings. Purely from a gameplay perspective though, it'll probably look goofy if you take these detailed animations and play them at twice the speed or something.

I believe this is what they've already done; the higher your ranking the quicker Dante gets (and the more damage). You can see it clearly during the infamous SSSensation.gif
http://images.wikia.com/devilmaycry/images/6/64/SSSensational.gif

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Nov 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Pesky Splinter posted:

20th of this month for XBOX, 21st for PS3.

I believe this is what they've already done; the higher your ranking the quicker Dante gets (and the more damage). You can see it clearly during the infamous SSSensation.gif
http://images.wikia.com/devilmaycry/images/6/64/SSSensational.gif

So if you are skilled the game becomes more of a cakewalk.
Seriously if you reach SSS consistently and maintain it in the Old DMCs you probably dont need half the upgrades.

• Locked thread