Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
CA have posted a panoramic screenshot of the siege of Carthage, which you can view here. There's an option on that page to download it as a (60 Mb) jpg. I count 59 ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
What are the latest and greatest mods for Medieval 2? Still Stainless Steel? Are there any other contenders?

trashcangammy
Jul 31, 2012

Cantorsdust posted:

What are the latest and greatest mods for Medieval 2? Still Stainless Steel? Are there any other contenders?

The Warhammer mod looks great, though I haven't installed MTW2 lately to check it out. Stainless Steel has about a thousand hours of gameplay though if you want to try out the nuances between various factions.

Anyone here know of a good diplomacy mod for Rise of the Samurai? I got really frustrated with my last game because of how foreign aggressors breaking up your trade routes made your trade partners dislike you. Things would eventually snowball because stupid enemies need no encouragement to start wars you can kick their rear end in so you're at war with almost everyone within a few decades. This was with Darthmod, which supposedly works with ROTS, but the diplomacy was so poo poo I'm somewhat dubious. Is Radious better? Are there any alternatives? I really enjoy ROTS gameplay apart from stupid belligerent AI making GBS threads the game right up.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Cantorsdust posted:

Stainless Steel and Third Age.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Cantorsdust posted:

http://kotaku.com/5958541/hundreds-of-obamas-and-romneys-go-to-war-in-this-hilarious+looking-mod

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Third Age is an amazing mod with a fantastic eye for detail but I really don't like how they basically removed the morale system. Every unit has such high morale values that routs, even by basic militia units, are really rare. Is there any way of changing it without altering every unit's stats?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

This one too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWsp9oS-dy8

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
So has anyone had a bug where they rout/kill all enemy forces and the only option is to quit the battle?

I'm on legendary diffuclty and the outcome is pretty important because its on my weakest front, so I'd rather not lose it. Besides, there's a bunch of cannons to be gained from winning it.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

Cantorsdust posted:

If you don't mind a slightly narrower geographic focus than the vanilla game or Stainless Steel, Broken Crescent is excellent.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Cantorsdust posted:

Broken Crescent is by far the most polished, and doesn't have bullshit cheating AI like SS/3ATW. It's also basically a proper expansion to Med2, focused on the Levant, with the expansion's improved AI and the area of recruitment mechanics introduced in a way that makes sense.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Struensee posted:

So has anyone had a bug where they rout/kill all enemy forces and the only option is to quit the battle?

I'm on legendary diffuclty and the outcome is pretty important because its on my weakest front, so I'd rather not lose it. Besides, there's a bunch of cannons to be gained from winning it.

Which game are you playing? I know in Empire or Napoleon,the computer likes to stash units behind walls even if it's no where near it's main line. Also check any nearby woods.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I've found a mod in progress for MTW2 you guys might like.

Basically, one of the most requested original eras for Total War is the Romance Of The Three Kingdoms era.

There is a mod for that now in the works.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Basically, one of the most requested original eras for Total War is the Romance Of The Three Kingdoms era.

That looks sweet as hell. Looking forward to it.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

Man Whore posted:

Which game are you playing? I know in Empire or Napoleon,the computer likes to stash units behind walls even if it's no where near it's main line. Also check any nearby woods.

FotS. I scoured the map. It sucks pretty bad, but it's not the end of the world.

Edit: This is an ordinary land battle.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Struensee posted:

FotS. I scoured the map. It sucks pretty bad, but it's not the end of the world.

Edit: This is an ordinary land battle.

If you're defending you can just run out the clock and you'll win by default.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

Flippycunt posted:

If you're defending you can just run out the clock and you'll win by default.

Nope, attacking. The clock even disappears when I "win" but the only option for leaving is to concede. It's a very odd bug.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
So I tried out Third Age, and it's a nice change of pace to not be staring at a map of Europe again. However, of all the MTW 2 games I've played, this one probably has the most cheating AI. Key cities get automatic garrison spawns as you lay siege to them, ambushes spawn from nowhere, AI gets piles of money, etc. It makes it a lot harder.

One particularly bullshit moment was when I, as Mordor, laid seige to West Ogsiliath, which Gondor held. The garrison actually tripled in size as the siege went on, thanks to the garrison scripts. The garrison then attacked my army, forced me to retreat, then despawned when the settlement was no longer under siege. drat.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Garrison scripts are the loving worst. They'd be okay if they just spawned some 5 or 6 units but no, let's poo poo out entire armies (high quality armies no less!) because doing a siege is cheating!

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Cantorsdust posted:

So I tried out Third Age, and it's a nice change of pace to not be staring at a map of Europe again. However, of all the MTW 2 games I've played, this one probably has the most cheating AI. Key cities get automatic garrison spawns as you lay siege to them, ambushes spawn from nowhere, AI gets piles of money, etc. It makes it a lot harder.

One particularly bullshit moment was when I, as Mordor, laid seige to West Ogsiliath, which Gondor held. The garrison actually tripled in size as the siege went on, thanks to the garrison scripts. The garrison then attacked my army, forced me to retreat, then despawned when the settlement was no longer under siege. drat.

Google around a bit. When I played TATW (maybe three years ago), it was pretty easy to edit those out of the config file.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

So I've been wanting to put together a multiplayer campaign Let's Play for Napoleon: Total War for a while now, but I need another goon to make it work.

I was thinking it'd be Peninsular Spain: France vs. Britain. Probably take about 30-40 turns to complete. Basically play each turn, each taking screenshots as we go, write up a post detailing our turn, hang onto it, then post it to the thread once we're a couple turns beyond that ingame to avoid spoiling our immediate maneuvers. Or have a separate thread for each faction.

If anyone is interested and has the free time to take something like this on hit me up here or via PM.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Cantorsdust posted:

Same thing happened to me as Rohan vs. Isengard. I just lured the garrison out and killed them all, then took the empty settlement.

The worst one is Moria as it spawns a Balrog squad. But they're no match for Ents. :smug:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

A friendy heads up from me, the mod that fixes the sound bug for Shogun 2 so weapons and other things sound what they are suppose to be has been updated for STEAM community and traditional drag and drop installation.

grab it here.

Since I did a general mini mod list for Fall, anyone want to do one for the other games?

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SeanBeansShako posted:

Pretty sure that stone Great Wall isn't supposed to be there in the Han dynasty. Definitely not picking that one up.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Agesilaus posted:

Pretty sure that stone Great Wall isn't supposed to be there in the Han dynasty.

Wikipedia disagrees with you:

Wikipedia posted:

The Great Wall of China is a series of fortifications (...) Several walls were being built as early as the 7th century BC;[3] these, later joined together and made bigger, stronger, and unified are now collectively referred to as the Great Wall.[4] Especially famous is the wall built between 220–206 BC by the first Emperor of China, Qin Shi Huang.

Wikipedia posted:

Qin Shi Huang (...) was the king of the Chinese State of Qin from 246 BC to 221 BC, during the Warring States Period.[4] He became the first emperor of a unified China in 221 BC.[4] He ruled until his death in 210 BC at the age of 49.[5]

Wikipedia posted:

The Han Dynasty (202 BC – 220 AD) was the second imperial dynasty of China following the Qin Dynasty (221–206 BC) and preceding the Three Kingdoms (220–265 AD).

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 12, 2012

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Agesilaus posted:

Pretty sure that stone Great Wall isn't supposed to be there in the Han dynasty. Definitely not picking that one up.

Some of the stuff Romance Of The Three Kingdoms and some of the people are mostly fiction, but the events more or less did happen.

Enjoy the new setting and theme you silly.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Wikipedia disagrees with you:

He said stone, and whilst technically that's incorrect (there were some stone sections in the mountains during the quin) there were no brick sections. which is what I assume he meant since that is what is depicted in the mod.

Edit: Although as Seanbeansako says, it is a silly reason not to give it a try.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Yeah but Romance isn't a 100% accurate historical record, but like the series based on the dude with the silly hat in my avatar stuff happened. Interesting stuff.

Besides, we all know after Rome 2 CA will give us another Medieval/Attempt at the 18th century.

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Shorter Than Some posted:

He said stone, and whilst technically that's incorrect (there were some stone sections in the mountains during the quin) there were no brick sections. which is what I assume he meant since that is what is depicted in the mod.

Thanks, although I wasn't incorrect in that I said "that" stone Great Wall; The Great Wall depicted in the mod clearly isn't accurate for the time period. Sorry, but that's a deal breaker for me; if the mod author is reading this, please consider updating your map to make it more accurate. I'm always happy to see an ancient themed game, though, so keep up the good work. I know plenty of other people here will enjoy the mod.

Agesilaus fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 12, 2012

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

Yeah but Romance isn't a 100% accurate historical record, but like the series based on the dude with the silly hat in my avatar stuff happened. Interesting stuff.

Besides, we all know after Rome 2 CA will give us another Medieval/Attempt at the 18th century.

I'm hoping for 15/16th century Italy, myself. Pike and shot is an era they haven't really visited.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

ArchangeI posted:

I'm hoping for 15/16th century Italy, myself. Pike and shot is an era they haven't really visited.

Same here, Thirty Years War would be a hell of a contained campaign.

brozozo
Apr 27, 2007

Conclusion: Dinosaurs.

Agesilaus posted:

Please don't ruin this thread too.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ArchangeI posted:

Well that's just a DLC campaign for Medieval 3 or Empire 2 (well actually it'll be Napoleon 2 because they'll pick the better regarded name).

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

I'm hoping for a Civil/Crimean war era game myself.

EDIT-Fall doesn't count.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Hopefully Rome 2 will see the return of large scale modding that they skipped from Empire to now. Lots of companies right now seem to be re-embracing modding as an appeal to their games, I just hope CA follows suit.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

ArchangeI posted:

You'd have to really improve the unit interaction to make mixed-order nature of pike and shot warfare work in the TW games.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Rabhadh posted:

Hopefully Rome 2 will see the return of large scale modding that they skipped from Empire to now. Lots of companies right now seem to be re-embracing modding as an appeal to their games, I just hope CA follows suit.

Based on their attitude with Napoleon and Shogun 2, I very much doubt it - CA have decided there's more money to be made in selling DLC unit packs.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Based on their attitude with Napoleon and Shogun 2, I very much doubt it - CA have decided there's more money to be made in selling DLC unit packs.

Something has changed with that, I doubt barely anyone bought the FOTS DLC at all because it was incredibly generic and pointless even for Total War DLC.

I expect more people bought the blood pack DLC.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Napoleon is really good because it streamlined a lot of management bullshit and things like unit regeneration.

gently caress if I want to go into a UI and hit retrain all the god dam time.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Sylink posted:

Napoleon is really good because it streamlined a lot of management bullshit and things like unit regeneration.

gently caress if I want to go into a UI and hit retrain all the god dam time.

However much people complain about flaws in the recent outings (or perhaps you just don't like gunpowder warfare) it's still really painful to go back to the pre-Empire/Napoleon games given what a massive leap forwards on the strategy layer they were.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I guess I'm getting my hopes up because Fraxis tried the whole DLC civ packs for a while and have just recently released a full modding suite. Plus Skyrim was undoubtedly helped in its sales by its modability. I'm hoping that everyone has realised that straight up DLC isn't wanted on PC, and we return to the golden days of mods (and crazy modders).