Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, that was my reaction too. It isn't enough to see famous historical people as NPCs, I want to play as one, drat it!

Joan of Arc is in Warriors Orochi 3 :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

The GIG posted:

Joan of Arc is in Warriors Orochi 3 :smug:
I've played WO3 for like a hundred hours...?

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

I've played WO3 for like a hundred hours...?

It was a joke.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Tequila posted:

So does that mean that the DW7XL disc has all of the content from the original DW7 on it and I will be able to unlock everything if I poopsock hard enough?
No, you won't be able to access the campaign/musou mode (and conquest mode?) no matter how hard you poop.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I really need to play Orochi 3, but I might as well wait and see if the WiiU version gets released here at this point.

Kreczor
Oct 30, 2011

I'd still rather play with medieval knights online then go outside and "hang out".
Besides the Musou mode offered with D7, is there anything else I won't get to play? I've played DW3 all expos - DW5 all expos so I'm out of my element here and wanted to pick up a good ol' kill all chinese people in sight game. Should I wait for DW7XL or just go pick up DW7? Also, between DW5 and DW7, are there any notable changes that have occurred that would make me not want to play it? Finally, is there online play yet or not, I was always disappointed that the earlier games never offered any kind of online co-op or vs. mode with friends.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I really need to play Orochi 3, but I might as well wait and see if the WiiU version gets released here at this point.
It's a confirmed launch title in the US, Europe, and Japan. It's even downloadable on the eShop at launch.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I take it Bladestorm is kind of comparable to the Kessen games? I remember buying Kessen II way back after I got into Dynasty Warriors, and not being impressed with it despite having some of the same characters. The story was weird enough but the gameplay was just kind of boring to me.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

I take it Bladestorm is kind of comparable to the Kessen games?

Never played Kessen, but you're a hotshit mercenary leader in the Hundred Years War, hired by one or the other side at any given moment. Each mission you're put onto a large battlefield with a number of castles or chokepoints, and generally speaking the mission is to take over and hold onto as many as possible and then siege a certain position or kill a certain guy. You do this by running up to a unit and going 'yo guys I'm taking command', ramming it head first into an enemy unit, and holding down the attack button, whereupon everyone breaks into a mass melee around you. Every so often you press a special attack button and your guys become a whirl of death for a few seconds.

It's pretty simple, but fun. There's a weapon triangle you should probably pay attention to, especially late-game, but it's not too hard to find your favorite unit and brute-force the hell out of it.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I see Bladestorm is available for both PS3 and 360. Is one noticeably better than the other (bugs, graphical issues/quality, etc.)?

I noticed the PS3 version is $20 cheaper on Amazon.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
They updated the official page again with 3 old Wei characters (Zhen Ji, Cao Pi, and Xiahou Yuan).

Twin swords look a bit larger but nothing else really new.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I just noticed that in the character descriptions it says "proficient weapon", not just "weapon", maybe that means it's multi-weapons like before? I sure hope not.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

I just noticed that in the character descriptions it says "proficient weapon", not just "weapon", maybe that means it's multi-weapons like before? I sure hope not.

It's already confirmed in.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Bought up WO3 last week, mainly thanks to this thread. I've been really digging it so far despite never having played any of the warriors games before. I like getting history lesson injections by scoping most of the characters I pick up that I wasn't already familiar with on wiki. I've only managed to try out a fraction of the stuff in the game so far, and only played through the first ending which comes midway through the game. Hideyoshi Toyotomi is by far my favourite of the characters I've tested. He seems just completely broken with the speed/range/everything on the segmented staff. Are there other similar characters with absurd weapon speed/range?

Tequila
Apr 16, 2002
DRIVE BY RANDOM TITLING! YOU MAY BE NEXT!

Nurge posted:

Bought up WO3 last week, mainly thanks to this thread. I've been really digging it so far despite never having played any of the warriors games before. I like getting history lesson injections by scoping most of the characters I pick up that I wasn't already familiar with on wiki. I've only managed to try out a fraction of the stuff in the game so far, and only played through the first ending which comes midway through the game. Hideyoshi Toyotomi is by far my favourite of the characters I've tested. He seems just completely broken with the speed/range/everything on the segmented staff. Are there other similar characters with absurd weapon speed/range?

Lu Bu (probably Keiji Maeda and Tadakatsu Honda to some extent but I haven't played them yet) has pretty good speed/range even when using a weapon without reach/agility plus his attack animations have really wide arcs.

Ding Feng isn't particularly speedy and lacks range but his charge attacks are unblockable grabs, some of which cause him to swing his opponent around like a ragdoll which gives him a lot of range and an absolutely ridiculous amount of invincibility frames.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Yue Ying's got pretty good range.

When I did the game on Chaos I pretty much used her in every single mission. Her lightning vortex EX attack just murders everything.

edit: Yoshimoto is also terrible.

U.T. Raptor fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 14, 2012

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I find it harder to find a character I don't like to play rather than list out my favorites.

Pretty much the only character I hate to play as is Goemon.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Belzac posted:

I find it harder to find a character I don't like to play rather than list out my favorites.

Pretty much the only character I hate to play as is Goemon.

I also hate Goemon but I think Benkei is actually worse. But either way they are probably the only two unplayably bad characters in the game.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Tequila posted:

Lu Bu (probably Keiji Maeda and Tadakatsu Honda to some extent but I haven't played them yet) has pretty good speed/range even when using a weapon without reach/agility plus his attack animations have really wide arcs.

Ding Feng isn't particularly speedy and lacks range but his charge attacks are unblockable grabs, some of which cause him to swing his opponent around like a ragdoll which gives him a lot of range and an absolutely ridiculous amount of invincibility frames.

Thanks for the tips. Haven't managed to unlock Lu Bu yet, but Ding Feng is indeed incredibly powerful and really fun to use. I'm also really liking Liu Bei a fair bit since he has so much movement on his dash/charges and is a pretty solid combine harvester once you get the weapon affinity up a bit. Surprisingly also liking Diaochan a fair bit due to her super high attack speed and very cheap R1 with massive movement bundled in.

Also re: Belzac. You're definitely right in that most of the characters in the game seem very usable.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Nurge posted:

Thanks for the tips. Haven't managed to unlock Lu Bu yet, but Ding Feng is indeed incredibly powerful and really fun to use. I'm also really liking Liu Bei a fair bit since he has so much movement on his dash/charges and is a pretty solid combine harvester once you get the weapon affinity up a bit. Surprisingly also liking Diaochan a fair bit due to her super high attack speed and very cheap R1 with massive movement bundled in.

Also re: Belzac. You're definitely right in that most of the characters in the game seem very usable.

Okay, I just need to ask: Do you know how to unlock Lu Bu? Because it's kinda different and more dickish than the others.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

The GIG posted:

Okay, I just need to ask: Do you know how to unlock Lu Bu? Because it's kinda different and more dickish than the others.

Yeah I think Diaochan flat out came and said how at some point in the camp. I've just been busy with other stuff for the time being. Going to try it out later today.

e: Got him. He has some pretty decent moves, but it seems his most useful charge with the stabby aoe is kind of stupidly designed. He just stands there for ages invulnerable with the animation going. It kind of breaks the flow of combat. Oh well, he's still pretty fun to use in short bursts.

Nurge fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Nov 15, 2012

Tequila
Apr 16, 2002
DRIVE BY RANDOM TITLING! YOU MAY BE NEXT!
Yeah, a lot of the grab & hold type charge moves like Lu Bu's and Cao Ren's (although his has the added benefit of a heal) take too long to execute.

I've also discovered that Wang Yuanji and Zhu Rong (throwing knives) have ridiculous range and speed with their default attack chains and will fill up your triple attack bar much quicker than anyone else I've experimented with so far. The only disadvantage is that their attacks cause no hitstun on grounded enemies.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Bunch of new Ken's Rage 2 videos up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8uEDF8qtlk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjOsB5gMTOM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrDnqG5Pn-c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56k_38usULk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4sXpTho3rc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDWJ-_pn4y8

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Huh? What's with the foresty area they are in? Is that part of FoTNS2?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Well, it doesn't look anything like Hokuto no Ken so I'm just gonna go ahead and assume it's from HnK2. I like to believe I've successfully wiped all memory of that show from my mind.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Belzac posted:

Bunch of new Ken's Rage 2 videos up:

Well combat looks a hell of a lot better, which was really the worst part in the last one. Also it releases in about three months, so that's nice.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

I played Samurai Warriors 1 way back when and my favorite character was the umbrella lady. Is she in WO3? If so, sold.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sarkozymandias posted:

I played Samurai Warriors 1 way back when and my favorite character was the umbrella lady. Is she in WO3? If so, sold.
Yeah, Okuni, she's there and just as silly as ever.

She's an interesting person.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

That is pro as heck. Gonna get my Mary Poppown on.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Anyone pick up a WiiU today with WO3: Hyper? Like all Warriors games it's getting no coverage at all. I was wondering how the general porting went, how the new duel mode is, and how the new characters are.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Cross posting a trip report on WiiU version of WO3 from a goon:

flyboi posted:

So Policenaut asked me to post a review for Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper and I can't find the Orochi 3 thread so I'll post it here.

Overall graphics are alright, there is some slight slow down but that's expected with any Dynasty Warriors-type game. Sometimes you just get into situations with way too many enemies on screen and poo poo happens. Overall it is enjoyable and I've put about 8 hours into it and am happy with it. There are two modes you can use on the game pad - partial sync and full sync. Partial sync makes it so all the cut scenes/text scenes show on both the tv and game pad but while you are in town it turns into a "shortcut" menu that will directly take you to any of the 4 locations within the town so you don't have to run around. While in battle it turns into the same kind of map you have on the pause screen but as far as I can tell there's no way to zoom on it so it's kind of useless. I rarely look down at it while playing. Full sync obviously every portion is on both screens, which is nice if you want to play the game without your tv.

Controls work great, you can use a pro pad or the game pad or a classic controller attached to a wiimote. The game also has the ability to set the game pad screen as the second player's screen so that you do not have to play in split screen which is nice alas none of my friends like video games so I cannot comment on the quality of this.

Online gameplay I'd love to comment on, but I've yet to actually run into anyone online. Every time I try to start a match there is nobody to play with :saddowns:. One thing I do find shocking is this includes online gameplay which is much nicer than Vita's bastardized "online" gameplay - "TOUCH SCREEN INFINITY BLADE DUELING ONLINE CHARS THAT ARE NOT REALLY THERE"

Gameplay itself is like what you would expect of a DW game, but more absurd as they have so many characters in the line up that you pretty much just have to accept the story is going to be completely bonkers. How the hell would you tie in Ryu Hayabusa into the DW environment? It starts off as the evil god Orochi came about and destroyed the universes/time/whatever. A mystic comes and saves 3 companions to travel through time to build up an army to go and destroy Orochi. I'm still in Chapter 2 so I can't comment on the complete story but so far it seems pretty on-par for this style of game.

There are bonds you can grind between players to unlock special missions to unlock other characters. I have yet to do this as per normal DW standards, this will take loving forever. I'll do it next year once game season dies off and I am bored. The dueling card battle system I haven't touched yet because honestly there is a *lot* of poo poo in this game. If you're one who likes DW-type gameplay and want a grindfest of different things to do this is a pretty decent game. Unfortunately I have not been able to pursue Lu Bu yet (I will pursue Lu Bu.)

Now one thing I do have to mention, I haven't played a DW/SW game since around Dynasty Warriors 4 or 5 so these are kind of like reliving something I liked years ago, but way more polished and fun. I also played the Vita version which while it scratched that DW itch I yearned for the game was overridden with god-awful Vita minigames that really detracted from the PURSUE OFFICER: BEAT poo poo OUT OF OFFICER "YOU HAVE REACHED A NEW LEVEL OF BRILLIANCE!" that I like about DW. If I had to choose between DW vita or this game I would say this is by far a better game. As for comparing to PS3/360 ports? I'm not sure as I never tried them. I didn't even know Warriors Orochi was related to DW at all and had ignored the series.

Overall I'd rate this game a 7.8 or 8. Granted my score is inflated a bit because gently caress ya Lu Bu. I'd say game sites will probably give this a 7.5. Really the only thing that detracts from this is the frame rate drops and the fact that I'm alone and nobody plays it online. I doubt there will ever be an online community for this because it seems distribution of this game to stores was very minimal. All I'm hearing is Gamestop is the only place that stocked it and most got 1 or 2 copies.

Edit: just gave duel mode a whirl versus the cpu. It's different than I thought it was. I was under the impression it's a card battle but that isn't the case. You select a team of 3 players to fight street fighter style versus an oponent. You pick 4 cards which are tied to your directional buttons. As you get battle points you can use these. Think of them like special levels or whatever in MvC. Push button, if it lands you get the reward. Kinda different and would be pretty fun if people actually played it online.

I watched a person stream it and the slow down is actually quite bad for someone who's played the game on PS3 before but the loading is way faster somehow. Duel mode seemed pretty fun too.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Are they including any of the DLC or anything in the WiiU version or is it basically the same as the 360/PS3 but with duel mode/new chars? I already own the 360 version and a little bit of the DLC.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:
Oh my, just look who one of the newcomers for DW8 is :syoon:

It's Lu Su

Chachi fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 23, 2012

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I would definitely recommended Warriors Orochi 3, or as I prefer to call it, Zhou Tai murders everyone throughout history.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Chachi posted:

It's Lu Su
It's not the 2010 live-action series version so it doesn't count :colbert:

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Chortles posted:

It's not the 2010 live-action series version so it doesn't count :colbert:

Would Chen Gong being on the same leak roster that said he was coming up help salve that a bit?

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Vakal posted:

I would definitely recommended Warriors Orochi 3, or as I prefer to call it, Zhou Tai murders everyone throughout history.

This is what I loved about WO3: It was about the Koei Warriors B-Team. The only real head honcho around for most of the early story was Sima Zhao, and since Sima Yi was still alive (And Jin technically doesn't exist), he didn't feel like he was top of the ladder. It felt like it was the minor guys going back and saving all the main Warriors and having the spotlight to themselves for once. Hell, Zhou Tai pretty much saves Wu single handed.

Only think I don't like about it is that since Sun Ce and Sun Jian still get to exist, Sun Quan goes back to being a two-bit chump nobody. :smith:

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

The GIG posted:

Only think I don't like about it is that since Sun Ce and Sun Jian still get to exist, Sun Quan goes back to being a two-bit chump nobody. :smith:

As it should be :smug:

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Chachi posted:

Would Chen Gong being on the same leak roster that said he was coming up help salve that a bit?
Also not the 2010 live-action series version :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

The GIG posted:

This is what I loved about WO3: It was about the Koei Warriors B-Team. The only real head honcho around for most of the early story was Sima Zhao, and since Sima Yi was still alive (And Jin technically doesn't exist), he didn't feel like he was top of the ladder. It felt like it was the minor guys going back and saving all the main Warriors and having the spotlight to themselves for once. Hell, Zhou Tai pretty much saves Wu single handed.

This is pretty much the main premise of the first WO game too (I never played 2/Z). Zhao Yun, Sun Ce, and Cao Pi fill in for the main heroes until the last mission of each faction. Only Nobunaga sits at the head of his own story.