Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

Supercar Gautier posted:

Plugging a charging dock into a wall outlet is at least twenty times more arduous than plugging it into a USB port, I cannot believe that Nintendo overlooked this crippling design flaw.

Entering a 16-digit friend code is at least twenty times more arduous than entering someone's username, I cannot believe that Nintendo overlooked this crippling design flaw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!
drat it all. Why do we have to wait until the end of the month.

Ive booked leave for it, I should check to see if my local store is doing a midnight launch. I did a midnight launch for the Wii and not a single regret do I have.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...

Gutcruncher posted:

What Im wondering is if classic Wii mode will be limited to 512 megs of storage, or if it can take advantage of the much larger Wii U internal storage and allow me to keep all my downloaded games right on the front menu.

Surely one of these journalists must have tried this by now.

Wii-to-Wii U transfer is part of the Day 1 OS patch.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Gutcruncher posted:

Edit: So Wii software cant be bought in the Wii U's eshop, but through the Wii Shop Channel enabled in 'Wii Mode.' So does this mean that you can use real money for Wii U downloads, but are still stuck with points for Wii downloads? Ugh.

That's exactly what it means.

Gutcruncher posted:

So in order to play Wii games, including Wiiware and VC, you switch over to the classic Wii mode.

What Im wondering is if classic Wii mode will be limited to 512 megs of storage, or if it can take advantage of the much larger Wii U internal storage and allow me to keep all my downloaded games right on the front menu.

Surely one of these journalists must have tried this by now.

I'm pretty sure it requires you to use a SD Card, just as you would on Wii. (Also note that Wii U games won't load from SD, only USB.)

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Hobo Siege posted:

It amazes me how Nintendo can drop the ball on basic poo poo like this when they're the oldest surviving hand in the industry. The more I hear about this thing, the more I feel like it was rushed to market.

Please tell us how designing a new plug and power brick is a rush job compared to re-use :allears: I'd love to hear this explanation, so don't be shy.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I hope Nintendo was so lazy with Wii Mode that the homebrew channel will still work on it.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

Chronojam posted:

Please tell us how designing a new plug and power brick is a rush job compared to re-use :allears: I'd love to hear this explanation, so don't be shy.

You must really like Nintendo or something, it seems like you're always first unto the breach. They paying you alright?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Hobo Siege posted:

You must really like Nintendo or something, it seems like you're always first unto the breach. They paying you alright?

Paying me fine and plenty of breaks to :f5: the forums. You get enough to answer questions, or do you want a job referral for a place that will?

(I should note you will need to be able to make good project timeline estimates)

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Lock this thread until the WiiU has been released.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Katana Gomai posted:

Lock this thread until the WiiU has been released.

But we still haven't determined whether or not NSMB is played out/Smash is a real fighting game/Mario Kart is fair/the new Zelda game is gonna conform to my weirdly specific vision!

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

I know you're being ironic but at least one of those is bound to happen before Sunday.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
One? Try all of them.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

We've determined that the parental controls appear on the main Wii menu screen (and also some bird game from the And Yet it Moves guys I guess?) What's really interesting more than the game itself here is the developer's comment that they intend to patch in Pro Controller support post-release. That would'ved saved DK:R.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Oh man that Chasing Aurora game looks like the epitome of "indie game". Are they going to patch in sound and art design and interesting gameplay later as well?

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

But we still haven't determined whether or not NSMB is played out/Smash is a real fighting game/Mario Kart is fair/the new Zelda game is gonna conform to my weirdly specific vision!

1) NSMB is played out a touch but trials and poo poo and world maps make it feel all better on your no-no spots.

2) Smash is a real fighting game, you fight each other and it's a game, quit being stupid.

3) Mario Kart ISNT always fair but that IS part of the fun, take the stick out of your rear end.

4) Zelda will conform to EVERYONES specific vision because instead of the typical forest/fire/water temples they'll do different eras. Wild West. Swashbuckling. Steamboat Zeldy. Even a 2D top down area and a side scrolling setup like Legend/Link to the Past and Zelda 2 respectively. It'll all end with a running rousing space opera battle on a giant rainbow bridge and you'll defeat Mecha Ganon by dropping the Majora's Mask moon on top of his head in a scene that will melt disks and spontaneously cause tears to roll from your eyes in it's glory. A vocal 1/3rd of the fans will still call it the worst Zelda game and ask why it couldn't be more like Skyward Sword/Twilight Princess/Wind Waker/Ocarina/LTTP/Zelda 1 until the next one comes out.

There now that that poo poo is done we can get back to talking about important poo poo like how Nintendo is loving US AGAIN by only offering backwards compatibility that works on all it's last consoles games unlike pretty much all those other console companies ever. The lazy fucks!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

greatn posted:

Oh man that Chasing Aurora game looks like the epitome of "indie game". Are they going to patch in sound and art design and interesting gameplay later as well?

The download limit and ridiculous approval process of years past was probably for the best, looking at what's being offered.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Chronojam posted:

The download limit and ridiculous approval process of years past was probably for the best, looking at what's being offered.

If you think any of those things stopped WiiWare from being flooded with crap then you are sorely mistaken.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Amazon's loving with me, right? I got my copies of Assassin's Creed 3 and Scribblenauts Unlimited today. I probably won't be getting my console until mid-next week (GameStop online preorder), so they're going to taunt me.

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

Now you can caress the rounded edges of the discs, and if they have them , read the instruction manuals. Maybe start writing down poo poo to try in scribblenauts : /

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I'm probably gonna get my copy of black ops 2 soon, according to Newegg. And then it'll sit there.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah, I picked up Assassin's Creed 3 today. I had no idea there was a BLOPS release though which led to me waiting in line fifteen minutes to buy a game I can't play.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Echophonic posted:

Amazon's loving with me, right? I got my copies of Assassin's Creed 3 and Scribblenauts Unlimited today. I probably won't be getting my console until mid-next week (GameStop online preorder), so they're going to taunt me.

Ubisoft thinks they are being clever by releasing their games a week ahead.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well this was already confirmed, but I can personally confirm according to the manual AC3 has the online multiplayer on the Wii U version.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I wonder if the PS4/Xbox 720 anticipation thread will have to deal with the same kind of poo poo this thread has had, or if everybody in those threads will be 100% content with whatever Sony/Microsoft does because :shrug:

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
This was ment to be taken as a joke, I'm sorry :ohdear: .

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Nov 14, 2012

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Vaerai Archon posted:

Not only that but it's allready going to go where I have the PS2,PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, Wii, Gamecube, and Dreamcast. I was only planning on needing a single outlet and I've yet to find a proper powerstrip that will comfortably fit a bunch of charging bricks.

Wait, isn't the brick in the middle of the cord? You mean to tell me that it's on the loving plugin?

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Vaerai Archon posted:

Ugh the pad needing it's own outlet to charge sucks. I havn't needed multiple outlets for a system since the 32X.

Not only that but it's allready going to go where I have the PS2,PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, Wii, Gamecube, and Dreamcast. I was only planning on needing a single outlet and I've yet to find a proper powerstrip that will comfortably fit a bunch of charging bricks.

2.5 hours worth of battery life is definetly going to be an issue. Especialy since I know for games like Skyrim and Dark Souls I can easily surpass 6 hours at a time.

Couldn't you remove the Wii? And/or the Gamecube?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Vaerai Archon posted:

poo poo, you have all those consoles plugged in at the same time? I mean I have a shitload of consoles myself but I'd never keep them all plugged in at once. Your power bill must be massive (unless you flip that power strip switch off regularly).

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mercury Crusader posted:

poo poo, you have all those consoles plugged in at the same time? I mean I have a shitload of consoles myself but I'd never keep them all plugged in at once. Your power bill must be massive (unless you flip that power strip switch off regularly).

I flip the powerstrip switch when I'm not using them, but yeah they're all plugged into my TV.

I really don't want to mess with wires either so every system's cables are also wrapped neatly too.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
A Wii plays all Gamecube games and a Wii U plays all Wii games, so I think you can remove one. I really, really wouldn't recommend having that many high power devices plugged into one outlet at the same time, the power draw could blow a circuit.

Your biggest criminal culprits are your god drat cable box and tv. I'd leave those unplugged until I use them all the time if I could, but the god drat cable box which uses as much power as my fridge takes like two hours to download program information.

greatn fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 14, 2012

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

greatn posted:

A Wii plays all Gamecube games and a Wii U plays all Wii games, so I think you can remove one. I really, really wouldn't recommend having that many high power devices plugged into one outlet at the same time, the power draw could blow a circuit.

That's what a surge protector is for. Also while a Wii plays Gamecube games, a Wii however does not play GBA games.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Vaerai Archon posted:

That's what a surge protector is for. Also while a Wii plays Gamecube games, a Wii however does not play GBA games.

And you can't dump the wii because then you can't play brawl with a gamecube controller, is I assume the endpoint of that.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
A Wii U however plays all Wii games. Disconnect the Wii and stick with Wii U/GC.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Wouldn't it make more sense to keep the charging dock plugged in wherever you plan on actually using the gamepad? I mean unless you plan on sitting 6 inches from your TV or something. I'd keep it by my recliner or even in the adjacent room where I might take the gamepad to if someone wants to use the TV.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

greatn posted:

And you can't dump the wii because then you can't play brawl with a gamecube controller, is I assume the endpoint of that.
I'm surprised no third party has put out a classic controller with Gamecube button layouts for Brawl.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Vaerai Archon posted:

Ugh the pad needing it's own outlet to charge sucks. I havn't needed multiple outlets for a system since the 32X.

2.5 hours worth of battery life is definetly going to be an issue. Especialy since I know for games like Skyrim and Dark Souls I can easily surpass 6 hours at a time.

Someone needs to add this whole thing to your sig, on top of what you already have.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Mercury Crusader posted:

I wonder if the PS4/Xbox 720 anticipation thread will have to deal with the same kind of poo poo this thread has had, or if everybody in those threads will be 100% content with whatever Sony/Microsoft does because :shrug:

The vita pre/post-release thread was amazing. 100+ pages with only 2 complaints and one of them being mine. They seemed to overlook forced gimmick controls, proprietary overpriced storage, and games lacking online multiplayer that were built around online multiplayer. I knew it hit rock bottom when someone was actually suggesting Michael Jackson: The Experience was a good game that was full price at the time and nobody objected...

Here's an interview with the VP of sales/marketing at NOA saying supply might not be as big of an issue as we might think it is: http://nintendoeverything.com/104959/moffitt-on-wii-u-ads-shortages-keeping-third-parties-on-board-3ds-talk-more/

quote:

Moffitt on how long it would take to get a Wii U if you pre-order at this point/whether it would take until the new year…

“No, not at all. We’ve been through these processes before. We want product to be available on day one in stores throughout the country. If you line up or get there early, you should be able to get product on day one. GameStop has not sold all of their day one allocation. They’ve sold what they were making available for pre-sales. Those are two different numbers. Now, a lot of what we gave them, they’ve sold to pre-sales, but like every retailer will they’ve held some back so they have product on day one for consumers that come in the door.

“We have said that we’ll have more Wii U units on store shelves in week one than we did for Wii in 2006. We’ll also have replenishment much more frequently during the holiday than we did for Wii. Having said that, though, we’re guessing there could be shortages. It won’t be there every day. Shipments coming in each week could sell very quickly.”

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 14, 2012

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I swear, this whole page is first world problems.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I swear, this whole page is first world problems.

Put the anime shelf guy on ignore and reading this thread becomes a million times easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

One more thing, you're gonna hear news stories this week about games not supporting Miiverse (Mass Effect 3, for example). All that really means is no Miiverse integration directly into the gameplay, because Miiverse is OS-level and so you will have access to it no matter what.

But I believe only Nintendo games have Miiverse directly integrated into their games (the Mario world map, for example), at launch. I don't think developers had access to that functionality until after their games already went gold.

I'm assuming that all games will have some sort of message board or hashtag or however it's gonna work, so it's not really a big deal.

• Locked thread