Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
That is not a bad collection at all User Friendly. Mine looks twitchy compared to that.

edit: Oh joy, my first top of page. Time to add some content.

Can anyone tell me what they thought of R-Type Command for PSP? I'm getting back into shooters and want a good one that I can take with me on the go while I'm traveling for business. I'm trying to decide between R-Type Command and Gradius Collection. I have a Vita but there's not really any good shooters out for it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User Friendly
Jul 19, 2003

Obeast posted:

Is that an actual Neo-Geo cabinet, or is it one that's been converted into a MAME cab, but left to look like a Neo-Geo cab? Either way, I'm insanely jealous since I've always wanted to own an arcade cabinet (especially a MAME cab).

Its an actual Neo Geo cab. Contains an mvs-1b (have Metal Slug 1, Thrash Rally and some 136-in-1 bootleg).

Was considering placing a laptop in it and using to emulate other systems, but I guess just keeping it for Neo-Geo is better. I can always emulate other stuff elsewhere without ruining the cabinet :)

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

User Friendly posted:

Its an actual Neo Geo cab. Contains an mvs-1b (have Metal Slug 1, Thrash Rally and some 136-in-1 bootleg).

Was considering placing a laptop in it and using to emulate other systems, but I guess just keeping it for Neo-Geo is better. I can always emulate other stuff elsewhere without ruining the cabinet :)
You are a good man for keeping the Neo-Geo stuff in while it still works.

For years, I've wanted to do the old "find an old cab that doesn't work, gut it, and toss in a computer with MAME with a shitload of games" procedure, but money and space restraints have kept this from happening. I will do this someday once I have the money and space for the cabinet. But, for now, I'm more than happy to play stuff on MAME, or the many home ports of arcade games if they're available (mostly Street Fighter even though I'm so bad at it, a blind two day old baby could probably beat me). :)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Xir posted:

Can anyone tell me what they thought of R-Type Command for PSP? I'm getting back into shooters and want a good one that I can take with me on the go while I'm traveling for business. I'm trying to decide between R-Type Command and Gradius Collection. I have a Vita but there's not really any good shooters out for it yet.

I haven't played R-Type Command but I can tell you that the Capcom shooter collections are nicely done. I'd definitely recommend their line of collections and you get a lot of content.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

From what I remember R-Type Command is actually a turn-based strategy/tactical RPG/something in that vein so if you're looking for a shmup fix it probably isn't what you want at all.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Xir posted:

That is not a bad collection at all User Friendly. Mine looks twitchy compared to that.

edit: Oh joy, my first top of page. Time to add some content.

You know R-type Command is a stragety game right?

Also, you're best off getting Gradius, and importing the Salamander, and Paradious collections.

I believe R-Type Delta, and R-Types should be available on the PSN store. (you can still buy PS1 games on the psps right?)

If you can somehow get up a japanese account, there's a Darius game on there, DoDonPachi, Enhandler, and way more. And you should still be able to get the R-Type games on a japanese account.

Check this thread out
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3362476

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

ah, my first issue is in! Thanks for the recommendation, fellow goons!

*sips sweet brew with cat on lap*
*enjoys reading about the finer arts*
*dons robe and slippers*

Is that like a one time magazine, or a subscription? If it's a sub I need that poo poo! Can you pop a link in. I don't want to risk searching for it while at work and hitting our websense. Anytime we ping the websense a "notch" goes in our history. And they get grumpy if you get a lot of notches around here. Why they called them notches I don't know.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The blue Dreamcast is so much more aesthetically pleasing than its counterpart.

Are Dreamcasts easy to make region free? Or can you just use a boot disc? Or maybe I should just take the lid off a PAL one and put it on a NTSC.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Obeast posted:

Is that an actual Neo-Geo cabinet, or is it one that's been converted into a MAME cab, but left to look like a Neo-Geo cab? Either way, I'm insanely jealous since I've always wanted to own an arcade cabinet (especially a MAME cab).

You can do it pretty cheap. I bought a full arcade cab with 25" monitor for $300 from a dude in Queens, New York. Took it home, got a computer running on the display, drilled some holes for the buttons; dirt cheap (in my opinion). I still have to paint it and make it look nice but it's really not that expensive at all.

Hopefully those 25" arcade CRTs will last a while though. Can you imagine trying to find replacements 10 years from now? :ohdear:

Kilazar posted:

Is that like a one time magazine, or a subscription? If it's a sub I need that poo poo! Can you pop a link in. I don't want to risk searching for it while at work and hitting our websense. Anytime we ping the websense a "notch" goes in our history. And they get grumpy if you get a lot of notches around here. Why they called them notches I don't know.

Yeah it's a sub! 50 euros for a year which, believe it or not, is cheap since I am in the USA and these mags are like $15 a piece to import.

http://www.imaginesubs.co.uk/

The cover is sturdy and hi-gloss, the pages are super high quality; and somehow this magazine has been around quite a long time with no end in sight. It's a great magazine and deserves to be in publication but I can't believe it has managed to outlast the demise of print media.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Nov 14, 2012

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Kilazar posted:

It's a subscription magazine from the UK. There are some great video game magazines that cost an arm and a leg here in Canada.

Edit: I generally like to get the big "collection" issues they do. It's about $30 for hundreds of pages of retro stuff.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

triplexpac posted:

Edit: I generally like to get the big "collection" issues they do. It's about $30 for hundreds of pages of retro stuff.

Do those come with my subscription? Any way to get back ones? How many have there been so far? Why do we, people who generally love technology, still want paper magazines? :iiam:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Harlock posted:

Are Dreamcasts easy to make region free?

The mod chip for region unlocking is veeery easy to install. Boot discs aren't perfect but also do the trick. I much prefer the mod chip route if you can find one; booting a game directly is awesome.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...

Mammal Sauce posted:

From what I remember R-Type Command is actually a turn-based strategy/tactical RPG/something in that vein so if you're looking for a shmup fix it probably isn't what you want at all.

Good grief no I did not know that. I thought I read that R-Type Command was a shooter. I'm glad you guys set me straight. I guess I should amend the question to say "how is R-Types?"

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Xir posted:

Good grief no I did not know that. I thought I read that R-Type Command was a shooter. I'm glad you guys set me straight. I guess I should amend the question to say "how is R-Types?"

R-types is R-type 1+2. It's pretty good but the consensus has always been that the SNES ones are some of the best.

Delta is fun to play though, you should try it.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...

Saoshyant posted:

The mod chip for region unlocking is veeery easy to install. Boot discs aren't perfect but also do the trick. I much prefer the mod chip route if you can find one; booting a game directly is awesome.

Agreed, but I've been using a boot disk for years. No issues whatsoever. I had to reburn the disk once, but it was my fault to begin with that I dropped it.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Got a quick question in regards to the GC gameboy player. Since it is easy for me to find cheap one's local with no startup disc, will the GC accept a burned copy? Or do I need to bight the bullet and just search for one that actually has the disk.

And why the hell was no one able to actually hold on to their startup disk *shakes fist*

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Harlock posted:

Are Dreamcasts easy to make region free? Or can you just use a boot disc? Or maybe I should just take the lid off a PAL one and put it on a NTSC.

You can use a boot disc, or you can :science: your way to a semi-awkward solution...

:siren: SEMI-AWKWARD SOLUTION :siren:

Step 1: Unscrew the four screws on the bottom of the Dreamcast and remove the lid.

Step 2: Tape down the arm in the back right corner of the Dreamcast that tells the system if the lid is open or closed.

Step 3: Disconnect the CMOS battery by cutting away the solder points on the front and moving the connecting "arm" away from the battery.

Step 4: Reassemble the Dreamcast.

Step 5: Insert a Dreamcast game that matches the region of the system and turn on the Dreamcast.

Step 6: Let the Dreamcast idle on the Date/Time screen; after about a minute (or two) the disc will stop spinning.

Step 7: Remove the disc and swap in a disc from any other region; confirm the date/time and the game will start.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Kilazar posted:

Got a quick question in regards to the GC gameboy player. Since it is easy for me to find cheap one's local with no startup disc, will the GC accept a burned copy? Or do I need to bight the bullet and just search for one that actually has the disk.

And why the hell was no one able to actually hold on to their startup disk *shakes fist*

You need a Gamecube modchip and either blank mini DVD R's or a replacement lid for the Gamecube to take full sized discs.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

You need a Gamecube modchip and either blank mini DVD R's or a replacement lid for the Gamecube to take full sized discs.

So just better to find one that comes with one. Got it. Thanks!

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Kilazar posted:

So just better to find one that comes with one. Got it. Thanks!

Yea. It's relatively easy to find the player on the cheap, so just keep an eye out for a decently priced disc. I picked them up seperately and ended up saving about ten bucks on the lowest priced bundle I could find.

Anyway, how many of us should end up in Super Nintendo Therapy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTzyz2TgGls

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
So TheRedEye might be interested in this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NINTENDO-SN...=item4abdf8c580

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Ambitious Spider posted:

Yea. It's relatively easy to find the player on the cheap, so just keep an eye out for a decently priced disc. I picked them up seperately and ended up saving about ten bucks on the lowest priced bundle I could find.

Anyway, how many of us should end up in Super Nintendo Therapy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTzyz2TgGls

Holy poo poo the part showing F-Zero killed me :v:

Also, what's up with Super Mario World saying "Super Mario Brothers 4"? Is that a euro/jpn thing? Beta version? I've only ever played the US version.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Code Jockey posted:

Holy poo poo the part showing F-Zero killed me :v:

Also, what's up with Super Mario World saying "Super Mario Brothers 4"? Is that a euro/jpn thing? Beta version? I've only ever played the US version.

The Japanese release was subtitled Super Mario Bros. 4.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

Harlock posted:

zenintrude posted:

You can use a boot disc, or you can :science: your way to a semi-awkward solution...

:siren: SEMI-AWKWARD SOLUTION :siren:

Step 1: Unscrew the four screws on the bottom of the Dreamcast and remove the lid.

Step 2: Tape down the arm in the back right corner of the Dreamcast that tells the system if the lid is open or closed.

Step 3: Disconnect the CMOS battery by cutting away the solder points on the front and moving the connecting "arm" away from the battery.

Step 4: Reassemble the Dreamcast.

Step 5: Insert a Dreamcast game that matches the region of the system and turn on the Dreamcast.

Step 6: Let the Dreamcast idle on the Date/Time screen; after about a minute (or two) the disc will stop spinning.

Step 7: Remove the disc and swap in a disc from any other region; confirm the date/time and the game will start.

There are at least two more solutions to this.

One is reflashing some rom. Here are some instructions: http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/sega/dc-region.htm

You can also get a region free dev bios in there but that requiers changing the bios chip since it's not reflashable. A video showing the hacked katana bios: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWFhMi-lDmw

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Code Jockey posted:

Have some US SNES prototype box art from CES 1990!

and for no reason a TMNT NES box:

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Mods namechange to "Bowser nabs the Princess (again!)"

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

and for no reason a TMNT NES box:

Ahaha that's just cruel.

Nice post though, always like seeing stuff like that.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Pinguliten posted:

You can also get a region free dev bios in there but that requiers changing the bios chip since it's not reflashable. A video showing the hacked katana bios: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWFhMi-lDmw

Has anyone here done this? I've been hearing about hacked Dreamcast BIOS for a couple years now but have yet to find anything definite on the matter or hear from someone who has done it to their own DC (I guess needing to replace the BIOS chip itself scares off a lot of people)

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...
..."pass the pasta"? That's somewhat racist. Although amusing.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

ACID POLICE posted:

Has anyone here done this? I've been hearing about hacked Dreamcast BIOS for a couple years now but have yet to find anything definite on the matter or hear from someone who has done it to their own DC (I guess needing to replace the BIOS chip itself scares off a lot of people)

You can piggyback a new chip over the old one and change between them. It's not that messy a mod really from what I've seen. The big hurdle really is procuring and flashing the rom with the correct bios.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Code Jockey posted:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Do those come with my subscription? Any way to get back ones? How many have there been so far? Why do we, people who generally love technology, still want paper magazines? :iiam:

I'm not sure if they're included with the subscription. This is the kind of thing I'm talking about though: https://www.imagineshop.co.uk/retro-gamer-collection-vol-6.html

I still want paper magazines because I design them for a living :unsmith:

I like magazines because they feel less disposable than websites (ironically). I'll visit a website and read recent articles, but I'm unlikely to dive back into archives. With video game magazines, I'll flip through them again and again. Especially my old ones, it's hilarious to read reviews of old games.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

but I can't believe it has managed to outlast the demise of print media.
Oh, it's already died one death - their first publisher went bankrupt about a year in for unrelated reasons, and they had to relaunch under their current one. The first "version" had a cover disc, but it usually didn't have anything all that interesting on it (usually just fan-remakes and the occasional publisher-approved ROM collection) so it was no big loss.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

The Kins posted:

Oh, it's already died one death - their first publisher went bankrupt about a year in for unrelated reasons, and they had to relaunch under their current one. The first "version" had a cover disc, but it usually didn't have anything all that interesting on it (usually just fan-remakes and the occasional publisher-approved ROM collection) so it was no big loss.

Good; as long as the magazine kept the same staff and stuff, that's really good to hear.

triplexpac posted:

I'm not sure if they're included with the subscription. This is the kind of thing I'm talking about though: https://www.imagineshop.co.uk/retro-gamer-collection-vol-6.html

I still want paper magazines because I design them for a living :unsmith:

I like magazines because they feel less disposable than websites (ironically). I'll visit a website and read recent articles, but I'm unlikely to dive back into archives. With video game magazines, I'll flip through them again and again. Especially my old ones, it's hilarious to read reviews of old games.

Nah I'm the same way. If it's not printed on a piece of paper I am very inclined to just put it to the side and probably never read it. Almost like there's an overload of information. With a magazine, I'm going to sit there and read the whole drat thing.

I used to read walkthroughs in Nintendo Power, EGM, and Gamepro, for games I didn't even own :allears:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I used to read walkthroughs in Nintendo Power, EGM, and Gamepro, for games I didn't even own :allears:

I used to buy random copies of Tips & Tricks as a kid for the very same reason. :haw:

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!
It was the pre-YouTube "Let's Play," for sure.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

PSM's walkthrough of FFVII enthralled me, making the year between its release and my eventual buying of a PSX simultaneously easier and more painful.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Full color magazine pages of nothing but game screens in stuff like GamePro/Tips & Tricks and the best one - Nintendo Power. The golden age of gaming magazines.

Pretty sure I mostly read the RPG Vault and Coming Soon sections of GamePro as a kid. They even had a graphical representation of how complete a game was! I wondered how they came up with that.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

tvb posted:

It was the pre-YouTube "Let's Play," for sure.

Well put.

I used to love reading Nintendo Power and EGM for this reason. I remember having that EGM issue with the giant feature on every move in Street Fighter 2, and even though I was [and still am] horrible at SF2, I loved it.

Also, Sheng Long. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Well crap, my SNES isn't putting out video/audio signal. :( It was fine last night, but when I turned it on today it just gave a black screen for about two seconds and then goes to static. Games and SNES have been cleaned thoroughly. I'm using this video cable a friend gave me, which worked fine on his N64. Any ideas? I'm broke until next weekend so if the cable is the problem I'll have to wait until then to get a new one. I also don't have the screw bit to open the SNES, I tried the melted pen thing but it just broke before it unscrewed the screws.

fake edit: And then when I reach over and try it again, it works fine. What the hell Super Nintendo, stop messing with me. :argh:

Safari Disco Lion fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 14, 2012

• Locked thread