Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

GreenCard78 posted:

He'll probably do what many other Americans do in their 20s and bitch about their job. One day he'll be taken away in the night by an ICE raid. He won't even have time to put his shoes on and that will be the time he realizes he's going home to a place he won't recognize.

:patriot:
(Since I didn't go into my own thoughts on the matter before, and this being The Internet and all, I should point out I'm being sarcastic. Deportation blows.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

GreenCard78 posted:

Is it morally right to gay marry your friend so he can get citizenship? There's no compensation or anything like that involved, just one guy helping another guy out.

The problem is I don't think the feds accept a gay marriage for citizenship stuff. So it can't be done currently.

Otherwise though it means being married for at least 5 or 7 years afterwards to ensure citizenship is granted and not revoked. So it's more of a "is this really worth doing" versus is it moral.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Getting citizenship or even visa status through marriage is not as easy as you'd think. You will have to provide evidence of a significant, long-term relationship and it'll cost a bunch of money and take months to years to get figured out. Even with all that, the fact that he has a problematic past immigration history would go against him in a big way and he might not even get approved. You'll also be committing fraud against the federal government in a post-9/11 world so definitely a good plan, yes.

That and gay marriage wouldn't count, yeah.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Filling out an online job application here. If I only have two employers in the past 8 years or so, do I even really need to list a third?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Re: Creepy Landlord

The advice you've gotten seems pretty good, but it sounds like she needs someone on the ground there right away. Do you have the aforementioned male friend already lined up? Even having a guy hanging out with/around her might put the landlord off until whatever it is finalizes. Otherwise she's facing the whole shebang alone, which being only a week into the country, ESL, and on an internship would suck haaaard.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

What would be the best way to measure the wattage produced by someone using a simple machine (something like an exercycle) and have it be compared to other people doing the same.

I want to do this and then have a sort of race being displayed on a screen. Any ideas?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

MassaShowtime posted:

What would be the best way to measure the wattage produced by someone using a simple machine (something like an exercycle) and have it be compared to other people doing the same.

I want to do this and then have a sort of race being displayed on a screen. Any ideas?

A wattmeter.

Alternately, exercise bikes typically contain their own wattmeters - a lot of them display the wattage right on a little screen. If you like tinkering, and if this race is actually using exercise bikes, you could probably find the wiring that sends that info to the screen and patch into it.

edit: Or, re-purpose some bike computers. But this would be more expensive than buying a bunch of wattmeters.

edit2: or, send each machine's electricity through separate, identical resistors and measure the voltage across that resistor. Multiple voltage sensors are cheaper (and easier to digitize) than multiple wattmeters.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

the posted:

Filling out an online job application here. If I only have two employers in the past 8 years or so, do I even really need to list a third?

Probably because the computer filters will reject your application if it is not fully complete.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

the posted:

What did you do to get that ave/title?

(Is it against the rules to ask that?)

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Turtlicious posted:

What did you do to get that ave/title?

(Is it against the rules to ask that?)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3463525

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

I'm dumb and can't work out the proper search terms to find this.

There are gifs made where it zooms, rotates slightly and the colours invert. I know there is a description of the angles and zoom % to use somewhere but all I can find are basic things about how to rotate images.

Help? I urgently need to be a douche!

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Pipe rifles and snack cakes.
I have no idea if this is the right thread, but would anyone be able to give me a German translation of the children's poem Yon Yonson? I'm specifically looking for this version:

Yon Yonson posted:

My name is Yon Yonson,
I come from Wisconsin
I work in a lumber mill there
All the people I meet
As I walk down the street
Ask me how in the heck I got there
So I tell them: My name is Yon Yonson...

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

tarepanda posted:

Well, poo poo. I'm glad I asked. My gut instinct was terribly wrong.

Or terribly right. I do want her out of there ASAP. She'll talk to her boss tomorrow when she goes in to work.

1. The cameras aren't in her room, but they are in other places... would that count as "in her living area?"

2. Usually when he follows her, he's RIGHT ON her rear end under the guise of "helping" her. I personally don't think she should take pictures of him in that situation as it might aggravate things...

The guy never gave her a copy of the lease, so I don't know what it says.

How could she best get out of this situation and terminate the lease due to the privacy violations? She's Japanese, the guy is Japanese or second-generation. Her English is okay for most things, but not perfect, and she doesn't have a whole lot of money and her internship doesn't pay that well...

I'd suggest asking for advice in the legal thread as well.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

alnilam posted:

A wattmeter.

Alternately, exercise bikes typically contain their own wattmeters - a lot of them display the wattage right on a little screen. If you like tinkering, and if this race is actually using exercise bikes, you could probably find the wiring that sends that info to the screen and patch into it.

edit: Or, re-purpose some bike computers. But this would be more expensive than buying a bunch of wattmeters.

edit2: or, send each machine's electricity through separate, identical resistors and measure the voltage across that resistor. Multiple voltage sensors are cheaper (and easier to digitize) than multiple wattmeters.

Thanks for the response.

I get that either a wattmeter or a voltage sensor would work to measure the wattage being made, but what sort of mechanism could I use to have them compared in real time and then have some sort of screen display with like little men running or something? I'm just looking for a starting point really.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

MassaShowtime posted:

Thanks for the response.

I get that either a wattmeter or a voltage sensor would work to measure the wattage being made, but what sort of mechanism could I use to have them compared in real time and then have some sort of screen display with like little men running or something? I'm just looking for a starting point really.

If you were content with a very simple display, I'd recommend using something like the Analog In on an Arduino to measure different voltages, and then output to a (7-segment display, bar-LEDs, etc). If you want something as complicated as an animation on a monitor, I'd probably still go with an Arduino to do data collection, (boy have I got a hammer...) and then have it send the data over serial/usb to a PC, running some custom software to interpret the data and run the visualization.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Awesome thanks a bunch!

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

MassaShowtime posted:

Thanks for the response.

Bike couriers do something kind of like what you're talking about at parties sometimes, they'll but track bikes on rollers and two guys at a time will race 1000m or something while their stats are displayed on a screen. It's called goldsprints, may not be exactly what you're looking for but there's a DIY thread here: http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-159635.html

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:

saberwulf posted:

I have no idea if this is the right thread, but would anyone be able to give me a German translation of the children's poem Yon Yonson? I'm specifically looking for this version:

I can't really help you with your question, but from my readings of Vonnegut I think that was an American work about the Swedish immigrants of Wisconsin, so German might be irrelevant. If you really just want a German translation, you might try the oft-linked linguistics thread (I am too lazy to look it up myself).

\/\/ mea culpa

Tad Naff fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Nov 14, 2012

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Don't take it to the linguistics thread : that's not what they do and you'll look like a jerk. Maybe try asking nicely in the German thread?

I spent a minute on it, couldn't think of a way to construct the '...there' clause that rhymed and gave up. (I'm not a translator.) Maybe I'll put some more effort in later.

Is there some more context here? Like, how much of a crap do you give about the rhyming/content/who the gently caress knows?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What would you call a sports team that gets routinely thrashed by their opponents? I've seen "whipping boys" bandied around but it seems to derive from a misunderstanding of the term.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Vegetable posted:

What would you call a sports team that gets routinely thrashed by their opponents? I've seen "whipping boys" bandied around but it seems to derive from a misunderstanding of the term.

Doormat?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
"terrible"

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Cleveland Browns

or alternatively

The Chicago Cubs

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Vegetable posted:

"Cellar Dweller" is used in baseball for teams that are always in the 'cellar' (worst place in the division.)

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I have cable internet in my house, but I don't watch enough TV to justify adding cable TV to the service. I am thinking about installing an HDTV antenna in my attic and would like to send the signal to all of the existing outlets in the house (which also have cable internet on them). Would it work to hook a splitter up backwards, or is there some other way of making this work?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

SkunkDuster posted:

I have cable internet in my house, but I don't watch enough TV to justify adding cable TV to the service. I am thinking about installing an HDTV antenna in my attic and would like to send the signal to all of the existing outlets in the house

No. The cable signal will interfere/distort the antenna signal. Also it would unbalance the antenna.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SkunkDuster posted:

I have cable internet in my house, but I don't watch enough TV to justify adding cable TV to the service. I am thinking about installing an HDTV antenna in my attic and would like to send the signal to all of the existing outlets in the house (which also have cable internet on them). Would it work to hook a splitter up backwards, or is there some other way of making this work?

If you want to do this, what you're going to need to do is cut the cable company's connection to all the outlets besides the one you use for the cable modem. Then you hook up the roof antenna to the rest of the outlets in the house.

Depending on how your house was built and wired, this could be as simple as clipping and rewiring a single thing in an attic or electrical room, or it could mean digging through the walls.

For what it's worth, cable companies have to offer every channel you can receive over the air in a basic basic cable package, which usually involves the HD streams these days and definitely their digital subchannels. You might be able to save money by getting a bundle of the super cheap TV tier with your cable internet, actually.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 14, 2012

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Here's one that's small and probably stupid:

I've got an empty bottle of Crystal Head Vodka, and I really like the bottle. I want to use the bottle for Jameson, but I'm concerned about cross-contamination and/or people thinking my Jameson tastes/smells like Vodka or vice-versa.

Is there any significant steps involved in fully cleaning out a bottle of alcohol? So far, all I've done is washed it out with soapy water and rinsed it 2-3 times to ensure that there's no soap or anything in there. My efforts are somewhat ruined by the fact that I have a very very small sense of smell.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

How do you add a new address to receive email from on gmail?

My gmail account from 10 years ago is basicly <gamingterm.@gmail.com, which doesn't look very professional on a resume. I want to make a new address along the boring lines of <name><lastname><birthyear>@gmail.com, and have emails to that go to my main account.

I can make another account if that is the only answer, but I already have 3 emails I need to check regularly, and I could swear I heard of a way to do this called nicknames or something.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

Here's one that's small and probably stupid:

I've got an empty bottle of Crystal Head Vodka, and I really like the bottle. I want to use the bottle for Jameson, but I'm concerned about cross-contamination and/or people thinking my Jameson tastes/smells like Vodka or vice-versa.

Is there any significant steps involved in fully cleaning out a bottle of alcohol? So far, all I've done is washed it out with soapy water and rinsed it 2-3 times to ensure that there's no soap or anything in there. My efforts are somewhat ruined by the fact that I have a very very small sense of smell.

Whiskey has a much stronger flavor than vodka. I'd say you would have been fine with a water rinse, or even with nothing.
Now that you've used soap, you might have soap to worry about. Soap taste can be persistent, depending on the nature of the bottle's material.
Put in just a little water, shake it around, and taste. Taste like soap? If not, you're good! If so, try a 50/50 white vinegar/water mixture, shake it around in there, and pour it out. Rinse with water several times.

Also, if by "cross-contamination" you meant germs, just remember: it's liquor.

edit:

Xenoborg posted:

How do you add a new address to receive email from on gmail?

My gmail account from 10 years ago is basicly <gamingterm.@gmail.com, which doesn't look very professional on a resume. I want to make a new address along the boring lines of <name><lastname><birthyear>@gmail.com, and have emails to that go to my main account.

I can make another account if that is the only answer, but I already have 3 emails I need to check regularly, and I could swear I heard of a way to do this called nicknames or something.

Make a new gmail account.
I'm assuming here you want to check everything from the old account. If not, do this all in reverse.

In the new gmail account, go to settings > forwarding. Set it to forward all mail to old-one@gmail.com.
In the old gmail account, go to settings > accounts and import. Set it to "also send mail as:" new-one@gmail.com

I think this is all. I've been doing this for years.
Things to watch:
When you compose an email now, it'll say "send as:" somewhere. Make sure it's set to send as new-one@gmail.com. If you're replying to an email sent to new-one, it should automatically figure this part out.
Send an email to a friend or another email address and make sure it really does say your own email, and not something like "Sent by old-one on behalf of new-one," which is what it used to say long ago. I think that's fixed now.

alnilam fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 14, 2012

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
is there any simple piece of software that i can use on a windows pc to take a photo using the webcam? i don't need any effects or anything, just need to use the camera

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
edit: Nothing to see here. (realized there's a better thread for this in D&D)

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

I have not done Secret Santa in GBS since 09, does it still happen each year? If not, what happen? If yes, where can I find info on it?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

alnilam posted:

Now that you've used soap, you might have soap to worry about. Soap taste can be persistent, depending on the nature of the bottle's material.

It's a glass bottle, and rinsed thoroughly. Didn't taste like soap, but I'll prolly do some light vinegar mix just in case.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

I have not done Secret Santa in GBS since 09, does it still happen each year? If not, what happen? If yes, where can I find info on it?

There's an active thread in GBS here (OP has a good FAQ) and here's a getting started guide of sorts

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

alnilam posted:

Send an email to a friend or another email address and make sure it really does say your own email, and not something like "Sent by old-one on behalf of new-one," which is what it used to say long ago. I think that's fixed now.

Working except for this bit. When I reply to an email that got forwarded the from line says from <Old Email> on behalf of <Name> at <New Email>.

That is kind of annoying, but not the worst thing. I can always go into <New Email>'s account and reply from there if I really need it to look good.

edit: Ironically, it only does this for replying as another gmail addresses, any other address and you have the option of turning it off. I have no idea why, but here is an angry thread about it: http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/gmail/0tu293V4tMA

It seems the official response is to just not link accounts at all and instead keep open and check individually all 5 of my accounts.

Xenoborg fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 14, 2012

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Email thing: Do what the others have told you, but use the new, smart sounding one for your primary account, and get everything from the immature one forwarded to the new. People who write you wont notice the change, people who you regularly write will easily notice that you've changed if you sign the first couple of mails, and they'll probably like you better for it too.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I have a Mac G5 (powerpc dual 867) tower that has no wireless capabilities. Is there a USB wireless adapter out there that will work with this machine? It's running the final build of Leopard...10.5.8?

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Xenoborg posted:

Working except for this bit. When I reply to an email that got forwarded the from line says from <Old Email> on behalf of <Name> at <New Email>.

That is kind of annoying, but not the worst thing. I can always go into <New Email>'s account and reply from there if I really need it to look good.

edit: Ironically, it only does this for replying as another gmail addresses, any other address and you have the option of turning it off. I have no idea why, but here is an angry thread about it: http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/gmail/0tu293V4tMA

It seems the official response is to just not link accounts at all and instead keep open and check individually all 5 of my accounts.

It looks like you can't get rid of the <Old Email> on behalf of <Name> at <New Email> when using a GMail account. My suggestion would be to buy a domain name ($10/year) and sign up for Google Apps with that domain name. That's what I do and it works fine. When you setup the Send Mail As it'll give you the option to sign into the SMTP server with your Google Apps username and password. For everything else Google (Reader, Plus, Android) I use my personal @gmail.com address.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

What could cause this to just appear out of nowhere? The photo doesn't show it but in the very middle there's a slight indentation, which leads me to believe it's some sort of bite but we don't have anything flying around in here. Do have a lot of spiders, though. Happened some time this evening, in the UK Midlands.

Orrrrr is there a better thread for this question?

Only registered members can see post attachments!