Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
Oh sweet you're right! There's something I find really funny about buying the latest FLA from Steam.

[edit]

:pcgaming: Everyone should buy the AirMech soundtrack. :pcgaming:

[edit]

Help me it's not long enough, looping it only does so much nooo

Babby Sathanas fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Nov 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Furret Basket posted:

:pcgaming: Everyone should buy the AirMech soundtrack. :pcgaming:

Yeah, I wasn't kidding. I'm actually confused by just how loving good this thing is. Like legit can't wrap my mind around the concept.

e: Oh god Everything That Was Before is playing again :saddowns:

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 14, 2012

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

kangal posted:

It occurs to me I should leave this here:

http://soundcloud.com/daoctopusss

Holy poo poo this rules. I can't find them on Itunes, is this available somewhere else?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

What is the loving point of doing loving anything (especially "my own music") now that Front Line Assembly - AirMech exists in this universe. Just gently caress it all, I hate everything gently caress poo poo rear end.

This album genuinely makes me angry because it's so good. This is also the second FLA album that just happens to sound exactly like how my music would sound if I actually were able to make my music sound exactly like it is in my head. Civilization was the first and now there's this and gently caress you LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEB

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 14, 2012

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Airmech is loving great and it's weird as hell to be buying it from a video game downloading service.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

One time during an FLA concert I managed to grab Leeb's hand. In that moment I legitimitely felt like I was touching a god among men. A supreme being.

I'm not even kidding. I loving idolise him.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Furret Basket posted:

One time during an FLA concert I managed to grab Leeb's hand. In that moment I legitimitely felt like I was touching a god among men. A supreme being.

I'm not even kidding. I loving idolise him.

I guess I need to touch Leeb. I've only shaken hands with Spilles and that was awesome enough.

e: The important question is how do I access the ancient scrolls of power and sick beats and superior programming skillz these guys are harnessing?

SPEAKING OF SPILLES

:holy:

PS. Woke up, immediately put AirMech on because gently caress everything

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Nov 15, 2012

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Holy jesus gently caress I'm listening to AirMech on spotify right now and it's amazing. :stare:

How did FLA get good again?

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

I guess I need to touch Leeb. I've only shaken hands with Spilles and that was awesome enough.

I didn't grab Spiles but I did touch him while he was performing, it was electrifying!

quote:

SPEAKING OF SPILLES

:holy:

Oh my god yes.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

WickedIcon posted:

Holy jesus gently caress I'm listening to AirMech on spotify right now and it's amazing. :stare:

How did FLA get good again?

By keeping a steady stream of hotshot programmers rotating in/out of the band. Michael Balch, Chris Peterson, Rhys Fulber, and now Jeremy Inkel.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I feel out of it. I like older FLA a lot ... am listening to AirMech (on Rdio) and just don't give a crap about this at all. I cannot understand at all why the few of you find this so amazing and it makes me sad :(

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

teethgrinder posted:

I feel out of it. I like older FLA a lot ... am listening to AirMech (on Rdio) and just don't give a crap about this at all. I cannot understand at all why the few of you find this so amazing and it makes me sad :(

I listened to Airmech today and I think it's fantastic. But keep in mind that Synaesthesia was one of my all-time favourite acts. So any FLA that leans in that direction is going to be fantastic to me.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I like it quite a bit, even though I never got into their older stuff!

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I have to side with teethgrinder. I listened to the track that Cat rear end was gushing over and found it tame and pleasant. It wasn't bad, but I couldn't remember what it sounded like thirty minutes later.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
It's pretty good but the brosteppy bits are kind of grating a little too much for me at the moment. I could probably get used to it.

kangal
Mar 16, 2003

Pissed off at numbers.

Sloppy posted:

Holy poo poo this rules. I can't find them on Itunes, is this available somewhere else?

Apart from a few tracks off the B-13 soundtrack, I've never been able to find Da Octopusss in the US (or anywhere else). They claim they just released a new album, so I'm hoping something turns up soon.

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
I WILL TAKE BETTER PICTURES OF MY DRAWINGS BEFORE POSTING THEM
In an attempt to expand the bands I listen to, I saw Hansel Und Gretel recommended in this thread about 30 pages back or so. I like their sound. Even if they did get more metal and less electrical in their later albums.

The part that just makes me uncomfortable is when I want to link other people to a neat sounding song over YouTube, and this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77YQ7mX80hE

Is all I can find with such beautiful top comments as "deport jews from all white nations" And obvious Nazi worship from uploader SStiger1888. :catstare:

Then again with a band name like that, and songs such as "Third Reich from the Sun", what can I expect?

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

How anyone can take a band with song titles like 'Heil Hizzle Mein Nizzle' remotely seriously is kind of baffling but that's white supremacists for you I guess?

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

EEEEERRRR ENOUGH OF THAT BECAUSE PROMETHEUS loving BURNING JUST RELEASE THEIR NEW ALBUM

If you don't know Proburn then why not because they're beyond amazing and go right into pure :pcgaming: territory.

http://www.wtiirecords.com/releases/release.php?pid=wtii082 gogoggogo

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
I WILL TAKE BETTER PICTURES OF MY DRAWINGS BEFORE POSTING THEM
I guess while I'm posting here I might as well ask. Does anyone have any that sounds close to the style and pace of these Skinny Puppy songs? Politikil (Current favorite), Pro Test (In OP), I'mmortal.

I'm not very good at describing WHY I like them. But if anyone can see a common pattern between those songs and recommend more like them I would be happy. There's probably more songs on their other albums like those, but I haven't given them all a listen so far. It seems very hit or miss for me.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

Dotcom656 posted:

I guess while I'm posting here I might as well ask. Does anyone have any that sounds close to the style and pace of these Skinny Puppy songs? Politikil (Current favorite), Pro Test (In OP), I'mmortal.

I'm not very good at describing WHY I like them. But if anyone can see a common pattern between those songs and recommend more like them I would be happy. There's probably more songs on their other albums like those, but I haven't given them all a listen so far. It seems very hit or miss for me.

Our first three albums (band is Volt 9000) stole borrowed alot of that specific style (cut-and-paste-vocals, over production, video-gamey)

http://volt9000.com/overloadmega.mp3
http://www.volt9000.com/beast.wav
Look just don't tell Mark Walk alright

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Furret Basket posted:

EEEEERRRR ENOUGH OF THAT BECAUSE PROMETHEUS loving BURNING JUST RELEASE THEIR NEW ALBUM

Awe yeeeeee!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

het posted:

It's pretty good but the brosteppy bits are kind of grating a little too much for me at the moment. I could probably get used to it.
I think it works. Brosteppy sounds have always worked best for my ears when it is integrated into something else. The idea of just listening to a brostep song on its own is overwhelming, like I'm going to be repeatedly run over by highway traffic.

Furret Basket posted:

If you don't know Proburn then why not because they're beyond amazing and go right into pure :pcgaming: territory.

http://www.wtiirecords.com/releases/release.php?pid=wtii082 gogoggogo
Okay. This kicks rear end.

:pcgaming:

kangal
Mar 16, 2003

Pissed off at numbers.

Dotcom656 posted:

If you want the style and beat of CLASSIC Puppy check out Skyla Vertex.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
Man it just dawned on me after watching the new How To Destroy Angels video, where they are using a bunch of custom eurorack synths..

All this dystopian, urban wasteland, post apocalyptic gritty underground music is, for the most part, made with the most expensive synthesizers, VA's, effects racks and loaded iMacs that no actual poor underground street musician/rebellion could ever afford.

If the economy ever does actually meltdown and crash, Einsturzend Neubauten styled industrial is going to come back into style waaaay fast.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

What is the loving point of doing loving anything (especially "my own music") now that Front Line Assembly - AirMech exists in this universe. Just gently caress it all, I hate everything gently caress poo poo rear end.

This album genuinely makes me angry because it's so good. This is also the second FLA album that just happens to sound exactly like how my music would sound if I actually were able to make my music sound exactly like it is in my head. Civilization was the first and now there's this and gently caress you LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEB

gently caress ME THIS IS GOOOOOOOOOD!

But I think this is a pretty much a Noise Unit/Synaesthesia album more then an FLA one. But who cares what name they use, it OOOOOOWNS!

PS. The Brostep parts are pretty much perfect and remind me that I love tthat sound when used sparingly. It's why I loving hate Skrillex and love Hecq's Avenger.

Hedenius fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Nov 17, 2012

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

Hedenius posted:

PS. The Brostep parts are pretty much perfect and remind me that I love tthat sound when used sparingly. It's why I loving hate Skrillex and love Hecq's Avenger.

This is exactly what it's made me realise. It's why when I go clubbing I can happily dance to it but get super pissed off by it when sober. It's about how sparingly it's used, and not to mention they've used it in a pretty non-static way. These tracks are constantly moving and shifting texture. It's fabulous, every electronic musician could learn a lot from this album.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

kangal posted:

If you want the style and beat of CLASSIC Puppy check out Skyla Vertex.

What the poo poo? Ewww.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

hatelull posted:

I have to side with teethgrinder. I listened to the track that Cat rear end was gushing over and found it tame and pleasant. It wasn't bad, but I couldn't remember what it sounded like thirty minutes later.

I guess it's just the magic of music being subjective. That track, Everything That Was Before, just hits me somewhere DEEP, enough that I'm literally moved to tears by it. It has such an emotional effect on me that I just can't "not remember" that track.

Also this

Hedenius posted:

and very much this

Furret Basket posted:

This is exactly what it's made me realise. It's why when I go clubbing I can happily dance to it but get super pissed off by it when sober. It's about how sparingly it's used, and not to mention they've used it in a pretty non-static way. These tracks are constantly moving and shifting texture. It's fabulous, every electronic musician could learn a lot from this album.

I love it how you can just hear that these guys have made and loved electronic music for the last 30 years of their life. The programming is incredibly intricate and rich (just listen to the dubsteppy parts in Mech Killer, for example), the soundscapes so lovingly designed and just... gently caress

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Hedenius posted:

Basically everyone should listen to Hecq.

Edit: Not really sure how many people in this thread will be into it, but I have just now found out about this Needle Sharing/Teknoist/Enduser collaboration and am totally excited. It's on Spotify and sounds amazing.

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 17, 2012

Mauzeraut
Aug 15, 2005

Ka-BEWWWWM!
Just wanted to post a thank-you to all the contributors in this thread... lotta bands I had no idea existed got some money from be because of it (and due to the indy nature of a lot of it, I'm sure it's appreciated) :tipshat:. This poo poo can be hard to find if you don't know where to look.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

We'd all love to hear what you've picked up.

---

Re: AirMech, it definitely started to grow on me at MechKiller, but then he lost me again at the wub-wub. I'll give it another try. I've just gone through so much awful dubstep that I'm a little scared by that sound.

Mauzeraut
Aug 15, 2005

Ka-BEWWWWM!
Mechanical Moth, Laibach, Haujobb, Ego Likeness, Santa Hates You, Star Industry, and Red Harvest to name a few. I'm still catching up with the thread :)

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
This is maybe not strictly on-topic, but it's a clip from an old BBC documentary on the manipulation of tape to create innovative music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4ea0sBrw6M

You can see the full documentary here.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

teethgrinder posted:

Re: AirMech, it definitely started to grow on me at MechKiller, but then he lost me again at the wub-wub. I'll give it another try. I've just gone through so much awful dubstep that I'm a little scared by that sound.

You're not alone, just let it wash over you. Eventually you'll realise how well it works.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I'm so loving out of touch these days when it comes to the rhythmic noise & related end of things because none of my friends are really into it any more, they all prefer the really clubby stuff like Xotox and so on :smith: (which I still like, but I miss the old days of giving Ant-Zen all of my money)

Anyway, it turns out that Tympanik Audio have been releasing some totally awesome stuff.

First up, here's a Stendeck track from last year's release that completely passed me by
http://youtu.be/e036l5TFPQU Not quite sure how to describe it but I guess it's kinda soundtracky and atmospheric in places, if that makes sense? More downbeat and moody and sometimes less dancefloor-focussed than a lot of the Ant-Zen/Hands type stuff. There's a whole bunch of stuff like this that I've heard over the years and I'm never quite sure what to call it. Reminds me of Detritus, Autoclav 1.1 and that sort of sound a fair bit.

And here's one from the latest Worms of The Earth release which pretty much anyone who likes more tribal influenced stuff (so things like T'Zolkin or This Morn Omina) should enjoy
http://youtu.be/QQc5_TVzbVU

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

Tympanic is pretty much a whos-who of fantastic artists. They're the only labels whose newsletter I've signed up for. That's actually quite worth doing actually because otherwise it just falls under the radar.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Storming The Base has a pretty great newsletter for what it's worth and covers a lot more breadth. http://www.stormingthebase.com/

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

teethgrinder posted:

Storming The Base has a pretty great newsletter for what it's worth and covers a lot more breadth. http://www.stormingthebase.com/
Thanks.

Furret Basket posted:

Tympanic is pretty much a whos-who of fantastic artists. They're the only labels whose newsletter I've signed up for. That's actually quite worth doing actually because otherwise it just falls under the radar.
Gah holy gently caress. Thank you. This is a little old but I'm reposting it here because :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG0Xh4VY7xE

Also, someone disapproves of Airmech:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Furret Basket posted:

You're not alone, just let it wash over you. Eventually you'll realise how well it works.
I think there's a lot of good stuff here but I suspect the brosteppy stuff (specifically on Pulse Charge) will just be something I look past; I really don't think it works. I agree that it's unreasonable to rule out that style of synths entirely, and that it fits in on the album, but that particular track really grates.