Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Speaking as a newish player, if you tell me to go somewhere not specifically marked on the map, I have no idea where you're talking about. Talkative commanders are the best though. I like it when they tell me I did a good job :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
For clarification, both the dome and the neck are clearly marked on the map.

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.
Man, after playing on the goon server for a couple of days its really amazing how bad pub play can be.

Last game our commander spent all our res to research dual exos when we didn't even have welders. He also refused to research jetpacks because 'jetpacks are useless in these tight corridors.' Baffling.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

AgentF posted:

Christ! All of this dude's mods are horrific!

The red ones go faster :colbert:

AgentF
May 11, 2009
How long does it take Hive #2 to mature? Could Onos eggs be tied to two mature hives?

Alternative question: At the tournaments we saw Onosses between 6-8 minutes into the game. An Onos showing up at 15 minutes, though, isn't as much of a problem. How far should the first Onos appearance be pushed back, time-wise, to better balance its cost and advantage?

AgentF fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 14, 2012

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

AgentF posted:

Those look insanely cool, especially the fade

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.

AgentF posted:

How long does it take Hive #2 to mature? Could Onos eggs be tied to two mature hives?

Alternative question: At the tournaments we saw Onosses between 6-8 minutes into the game. An Onos showing up at 15 minutes, though, isn't as much of a problem. How far should the first Onos appearance be pushed back, time-wise, to better balance its cost and advantage?

It is a little crazy how fast you can get Onos' out on the field especially since they tend to feel more able than exos. At least if you tied Onos evolution to two hives likes exos you'd have some way to stem the tide.

It really feels like exos were at some point really overpowered and put in a bunch of drawbacks for balance, but then forgot to re-evaluate them later.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

mistermojo posted:

Those look insanely cool, especially the fade

I think they look insanely cheesy, especially the fade. Also if you had all of them on at the same time you'd be playing NS2: Virtual Boy Edition.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

voltron lion force posted:

I think they look insanely cheesy, especially the fade. Also if you had all of them on at the same time you'd be playing NS2: Virtual Boy Edition.

Hes going to make alien structures next and turning them all on would probably make it look like a Doom mod

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

AgentF posted:

Looks like dumb 90's grimdark poo poo.

Does anyone else have a problem connecting to the official servers? They are the only servers I can't connect to and I've already tried the easy fix in the NS2 forums and am hesitant to gently caress with a bunch of files and poo poo just to get on a decent server.

RadicalWall posted:

It is a little crazy how fast you can get Onos' out on the field especially since they tend to feel more able than exos. At least if you tied Onos evolution to two hives likes exos you'd have some way to stem the tide.

Onoses(onii?) have so much more survivability than exos. Kills aren't the best metric of performance in this game, but one round I went 100 kills to 1 death as an onos. That's insane. I've never done that poo poo with an exo because even one good skulk can wreck your poo poo.

YOURFRIEND fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 14, 2012

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I dunno, as an onos i've got wrecked by a single marine who's got some sweet strafing skills :downs:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

YOURFRIEND posted:

Onoses(onii?)

Onos are like sheep. You can have one onos or two onos or many onos.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tornado Lazers posted:

I dunno, as an onos i've got wrecked by a single marine who's got some sweet strafing skills :downs:

One rear end in a top hat who jumps down/jetpacks up to an unreachable spot is basically the worst thing ever for an onos.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Black_Plague22 posted:

Speaking of sentries:

According to the NS2 wiki, they are supposed to be anti structure. :stare: This is why the battery and sentry can be built on infestation, supposedly.

I have never seen them used this way.

Huh, didn't know they could be built on infestation. That's non-intuitive.

Smythe posted:

You just need to put a big rock on the mic transmit button and chant "phase to neck phase phase phase keep phasing DON'T STOP IN DOUBLE GO BACK THROUGH KEEP PHASING gogogogogogo SHOOT THE HIVE SHOOT THE HIVE NOT THE RT JUST SHOOT IT"

"BEACONING GET READY TO PHASE ... PHASE PHASE PHASE PHASE SHOOT THE HIVE"

Something along those lines. Anyone who had the luxury of playing with Rapier7 knows what I'm talkin' about here.

This is me all day every day.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

voltron lion force posted:

Onos are like sheep. You can have one onos or two onos or many onos.

You need three sheep or they get depressed fyi

Edit: never mind, that was a grammar/spelling thing!

AgentF
May 11, 2009

mistermojo posted:

Hes going to make alien structures next and turning them all on would probably make it look like a Doom mod

Yeah, it reminds me of Doom as well for some reason. Might be cool to pretend to be fighting hellspawn instead of aliens, but I imagine it'd get old a bit fast.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
229 just went live, no patchnotes yet, afaik the only balance changes were to regen and crag/hive healing. Alien passive healing is double what is used to be, regen is 50% more, regen works in combat at 20% strength. Crags and hives heal more than they used to though I think the max heal from hives (i.e. healing onos) might be a bit lower.

This is all just stuff I've read other people post so take it with a pinch of salt!

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
That all sounds cool to me. Downtime running back to the hive to heal sucks and now I might actually take regen over carapace sometimes.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
So after the update my server list is populating at about 1 server every 5 seconds. I originally had the no servers appearing thing which was fixed by changing the refresh rate or whatever in steam settings.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
I only see 4 servers online and that's after about 30 seconds of "refreshing." Maybe not many servers are updated yet.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

I too am unable to connect to the official UWE servers. Haven't tried on the new patch yet, but I did connect to some EU servers that had a lot of nice people on them.

I am thrilled to hear that regeneration got a huge buff, I already liked it on fades, and now it is even better!

Kretan
Jul 8, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
So when I'm bouncing around as a skulk, doing a good job of walljumping and moving very fast, and some dude kills me with near perfect tracking is it reasonable to assume they're aimbotting? Or are people actually that good? 'Cuz I get moving pretty drat quickly and erratically.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Kretan posted:

So when I'm bouncing around as a skulk, doing a good job of walljumping and moving very fast, and some dude kills me with near perfect tracking is it reasonable to assume they're aimbotting? Or are people actually that good? 'Cuz I get moving pretty drat quickly and erratically.

Likely they just know to aim, unfortunately. NS has always been populated by the god-kings of clicking things. People have been shooting skulks for literally a decade.

you'd best be real sure they're aimbotting before tossing out an accusation, lest ye look like a n00b.

Ecco the Dolphin
Aug 7, 2004

bloop bloop
Anyone else having trouble connecting since the patch went live? I'm getting "Client and server differ" on every server, but the game isn't updating no matter how many times I restart NS2/Steam...

e: verifying cache fixed it

Ecco the Dolphin fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Nov 15, 2012

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

The Crotch posted:

One rear end in a top hat who jumps down/jetpacks up to an unreachable spot is basically the worst thing ever for an onos.
In my last game, an enraged onos kept saying "Get back in your hole, Jpackers!" :allears:

Jetpacks really are the best counter for onos.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

RabidWeasel posted:

229 just went live, no patchnotes yet, afaik the only balance changes were to regen and crag/hive healing. Alien passive healing is double what is used to be, regen is 50% more, regen works in combat at 20% strength. Crags and hives heal more than they used to though I think the max heal from hives (i.e. healing onos) might be a bit lower.

This is all just stuff I've read other people post so take it with a pinch of salt!

That seems pretty good to me. I wonder how regen working in combat works though, that sounds like a potentially risky change.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I really wish they'd give Fades Metabolize back. That would own. The whole loving point of the unit is you could fly around killing people without ever having to return to base, like an alien commando.

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods
Patch notes are up, though they seem to be missing some of those changes mentioned earlier.

quote:

Patch Notes:

Fix

-Nutrient mist won't display for Marine Commanders when they do not have line of sight anymore.
-Fixed issues when downloading a mod on the server that didn't contain a valid title.
-Fixed Flamethrower damaging the owner.
-Fixed bug causing the pistol to sometimes lockup, preventing the player from shooting.
-Fixed various crashes when a system runs out of video memory.
-Fixed issue where pre-evolving eggs were not valid for respawning.
-Fixed bug where resource would be lost if the Commander clicks on pre-evolve on an egg which had already a player assigned.
-Fixed bug causing Mines to give Marines weld orders after they had taken damage.
-Fixed hallucinated structures appearing unbuilt.
-Fixed bug where Commander Alerts were not 100% responsive to player input.
-Fixed issue where the main menu would be displayed for a single frame when launching the game directly into a map or a server.
-Fixed bug causing weapons to "teleport" back to where they were last equipped when a Marine dies.
-Fixed error in the dedicated server documentation specifying how to create .htpasswd files.
-Added detailed error messages when a .htpasswd file is not properly constructed.
-The game will no longer allow switching to a map that doesn't exist (causing all Clients to be disconnected)
-Fixed bug causing the Command Station to display the "Start commanding" help text while unbuilt or while the team already has a Commander.
-Fixed bug causing the Hive to display the "Start commanding" help text while unbuilt.
-Changed the default Taunt key to T instead of Q to prevent a conflict with Request Health.
-Fixed Server script error caused by a game ending while the teams were unbalanced.
-Fixed issue where a mod could crash the game by specifying an invalid index when querying the list of servers.
-Fixed issue where requesting the server list could overflow or crash some modems.
-Fixed rare problem in the Main Menu caused by the options file becoming corrupted.
-Fixed bug where mod names would sometimes be displayed as ???
-Fixed bug in the "Quick Join" feature.
-Fixed bug where mods could not be installed through the web administration interface.
-Fixed bug where regeneration effect was visible while cloaked.
-Server Browser: "Filter Modded" checkbox now saved.
-Fixed Hydras not interacting with nutrient mist.
-Fixed Couldn't open "" error message.

Improvement

-Fixed Flamethrowers not creating flame residues.
-The "connection problems" icon is displayed in yellow or red depending on the "severity" of the problem.
-Replaced script error with a warning message when a server config file is ill-formed.

Optimization

-Improved bloom performance (thanks Alexander Szpakowski!)
-Fixed bug where all models in a level were loaded twice during the loading process.
-Load-time optimization: Caching some pathing data, so loads should be faster after loading a map for the first time.
-Added a hint for the NVIDIA Optimus driver to use the high performance GPU.

6-minute Onos still isn't fixed (not that it's really that big of an issue in pub games.) Fade still kinda blows, though, which is a goddamn tragedy.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
They're still in the "putting out fires" stage.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
The question came up of why would you ever Fade when Onosses aren't that much more res and are far more worth it. In the beta, Fades were a serious threat and everyone rued how powerful they were. Part of it was due to hit collision issues while blinking but I think it's more than that.

The power of Fades is that, with a comm who focuses on res flow (as opposed to super-early hive or onos rush), players get enough res for a Fade quite faster than we see in most matches now. Because the entire team has (roughly) the same amount of res, you have a stage where the alien team explodes into 3-4 Fades at mostly the same time and the marines find themselves overwhelmed. This happened fairly often in the beta and I don't see it so much anymore, but to me this has always seemed to be the main threat of Fades.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
The balance is good enough that the game is fun, even in spite of some of the problems. I'd rather they get the game nice and optimized and let the pub metagame settle down before they try to balance anything.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Kretan posted:

It took me a while of playing NS1 to realize skulk movement is entirely different that what it appears to you as a skulk.

For instance it's much more effective to just run up a wall, drop down, and attack, than it is to flail around like a spaz, jumping everywhere.

The first technique is way more difficult to hit even though from the skulks perspective the movement feels much slower.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

maniacripper posted:

It took me a while of playing NS1 to realize skulk movement is entirely different that what it appears to you as a skulk.

For instance it's much more effective to just run up a wall, drop down, and attack, than it is to flail around like a spaz, jumping everywhere.

The first technique is way more difficult to hit even though from the skulks perspective the movement feels much slower.

Yes, from a Marine's perspective it is much more difficult to keep track of a target that is moving vertically, especially when there are several of them.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
It's not hard to keep track of a skulk when you're used to the movement.

I think what really happens is that when someone who isn't so good is trying to shoot at you, they shoot behind you. When you jump, you usually end up moving away from the wall towards the center of their screen and coincidentally into the crosshairs.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
I think the regen change would be awesome IF it was coupled with the 3rd hive onos change. Regen makes early game aliens a LOT stronger now and a LOT more effective. With the quick onos now at 7 minutes (if you get regen first) it seems aliens are too strong.

whiskas
May 30, 2005
Skulks become 300% harder to hit when they're on walls or ceilings.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
The regen change is really powerful atm if you can move around during a fight to take advantage. I was extremely surprised at how quickly I was regenerating once I would pop into cover (I'm loving alien even more now).

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
If a skulk hides above a doorway they are guaranteed to take out at least 3 marines.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Unless the marine commander is on the ball with the scans. Then the skulk just dies and feels extremely embarrassed for wasting time sitting on the wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Then you have to switch to tactic #2. Make sure you got a clear shot to the marine of at least 2 onos lengths. Run at the marine and do not deviate in the slightest to build maximum velocity.

No commander interference can prevent the marine dying to you.

• Locked thread