Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

voltron lion force posted:

Speaking as a newish player, if you tell me to go somewhere not specifically marked on the map, I have no idea where you're talking about. Talkative commanders are the best though. I like it when they tell me I did a good job :3:

I hate when they say "main base" instead of room clearly labeled on my map

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.

AxeManiac posted:

That said, I imagine people remember where they spawned and how to get back there without having to pull up a map.

Also guys this game is infinitely more fun with goons, especially when everyone is talking and having a good time.

RadicalWall fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Nov 15, 2012

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
Reminds me a bit of a game I had a few hours ago. We had a commander angrily shouting "REPAIR!" just after a bunch of jetpackers+welders grouped up with exosuits. We were all looking at each other bewildered as the commander franticly repeated "REPAIR! GUYS, REPAIR!" over and over again.

No one realized that there was a location called repair. :downs:

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

Apparently the default configuration doesn't check for texture consistency.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

RadicalWall posted:

So here's the downside to modding.

Is there a whitelist or anything? Any way to filter out servers that allow that kind of thing, or is that what the modded server tag is all about?

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

harrygomm posted:

Is there a whitelist or anything? Any way to filter out servers that allow that kind of thing, or is that what the modded server tag is all about?

At this point, no. Textures and models aren't checked by default and have to be configured specifically by the server admin.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

RadicalWall posted:

Apparently the default configuration doesn't check for texture consistency.

So much for consistency checks. I'm sure they'll have models/textures checked by default in the next update though so it won't last very long. In NS1, even with mp_consistency off you couldn't edit player models. But you could edit muzzle flashes to make them go away and that was a huge advantage. Fortunately they did away with intentionally-annoying muzzle flashes in NS2.

Although there's always going to be ways to make things like that work even legitimately. In NS1, you could mess with your GL_MIPMAP_something command (?) and have it so all the walls were a blur but models stood out like a sore thumb and was completely "legit" (in the sense it's just a video card setting).

Hell, messing with the Mipmap LOD Bias probably works in NS2 too (and it definitely worked in BC2 with hilarious results of wiping out all grass/trees/bushes).

Xaris fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 15, 2012

Kiryuin Satsuki
Mar 1, 2011

How open are the goon servers to Australians joining them? I've only put in a few hours so far and whilst it's been fun, I've also come across a few total sperglords raging because we don't match up to their internet prowess.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
That's a shame. I've generally found the Australian servers to be very friendly. Where have you been playing?

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

And it's almost insultingly easy to do! I made them hot pink!

Can you guys Spot the Skulk?

RadicalWall fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 15, 2012

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
Eh, that existed since mods ever existed. Sure, it makes it easier to spot aliens, but most of the time spotting them isn't the issue.

Kiryuin Satsuki
Mar 1, 2011

AgentF posted:

That's a shame. I've generally found the Australian servers to be very friendly. Where have you been playing?

Most of the players have been friendly, there's just been a few keyboard warriors gracing us with their presence... in the rookie friendly servers. The added reliance on decent communication and team work over most other games seems to be keeping it much friendlier than you'd expect from a shooter, but makes the spergs even more obnoxious than usual.

I was more just wondering how open the goon servers are to high lag players. Could be fun to play a few games on there every now and then.

And since the update it's now unplayable. It loads 10x faster but after 20 seconds in the server I get disconnected.

Kiryuin Satsuki fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Nov 15, 2012

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

Batham posted:

Eh, that existed since mods ever existed. Sure, it makes it easier to spot aliens, but most of the time spotting them isn't the issue.

Fine. Now the skulks glow in the dark. Happy?

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg

Batham posted:

Sure, most of the time, but its only hard to kill a skulk when they get the initial strike. This is a lot harder to do if you can see them if even a pixel is sticking out somewhere, across the room, on the ceiling.

Also, hello goons! I don't think I've actually posted in the thread before. I've been playing on the server.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

the Gaffe posted:

Also, hello goons! I don't think I've actually posted in the thread before. I've been playing on the server.

I recognize your name from earlier tonight. Thems were some fun games. You were always on the other team though so maybe not.

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg

Garfu posted:

I recognize your name from earlier tonight. Thems were some fun games. You were always on the other team though so maybe not.

:colbert: I was commander of one those games and I went down with dignity.

e: Also I was the Onos who was the last chance of survival for the team, and was stuck in the wall, unable to move, upon hatching from the egg :(

the Gaffe fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Nov 15, 2012

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

RadicalWall posted:

Fine. Now the skulks glow in the dark. Happy?
:stare:

Welp, you got me there. Had no idea you could also have an impact on the lighting.

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

Batham posted:

:stare:

Welp, you got me there. Had no idea you could also have an impact on the lighting.

Hey, aliens. Have you ever wanted to know where and how many command centers the marines have?

Why do you let me do this, UWE? Can't you see I've gone mad with power?

EDIT: Oh, works for marines too.

RadicalWall fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Nov 15, 2012

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

RadicalWall posted:

And it's almost insultingly easy to do! I made them hot pink!

Can you guys Spot the Skulk?

That's dumb, I thought player models were whitelisted and first person gun models were fair game.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

RadicalWall posted:

Hey, aliens. Have you ever wanted to know where and how many command centers the marines have?

Why do you let me do this, UWE? Can't you see I've gone mad with power?

I see this in a few of my games. Is this not the default? Am I running a mod unintentionally somehow?

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

AgentF posted:

I see this in a few of my games. Is this not the default? Am I running a mod unintentionally somehow?

Normally you can see CCs for a short time in certain situations. Now you can see them all the time from anywhere.

RadicalWall fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Nov 15, 2012

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Holy drat, it feels like it takes a million bullets to kill anything bigger than a skulk now.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

They really buffed Aliens? I usually play with a group of 3 or 4 and we have found it pretty much impossible to lose as aliens. Conversely almost impossible to win as marines. I think my only win as a marine in the last few days was a 1 hour slug fest that was pretty epic but insanely difficult.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Haha wow, Regeneration, Celerity, and Camouflage on a Lerk with Spore is the most maddening thing in the game. :xd:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

lamentable dustman posted:

They really buffed Aliens? I usually play with a group of 3 or 4 and we have found it pretty much impossible to lose as aliens. Conversely almost impossible to win as marines. I think my only win as a marine in the last few days was a 1 hour slug fest that was pretty epic but insanely difficult.

The change didn't really do anything to skulks or gorges, but it seems like it's pretty much impossible to kill lerks, fades, and onos now without massive amounts of burst damage. I don't actually think it's possible to assault rifle a competent lerk with regeneration to death now. A good one can apply constant pressure to you and you're not going to get rid of it without a really good shotgun marksman or like five guys hosing it. A hit and running fade is similarly able to dash in, kill one or two people, dash out, wait for 3 or 4 seconds, and be ready to go again before the initial people they killed respawn.

I'm still pretty bad with the shotgun so I pretty much can't play marines for poo poo now.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Well, marines are definitely getting their poo poo pushed in a lot more since the patch. Maybe this change has to do with the Kharaa losing in 9/10 games on the tournament level?

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I do see it as a nice reason to take regeneration at least. It always seemed kind of useless before.

StuntKid
Dec 10, 2003

Batham posted:

Well, marines are definitely getting their poo poo pushed in a lot more since the patch. Maybe this change has to do with the Kharaa losing in 9/10 games on the tournament level?
I consider myself a pretty decent commander. I stay on top of my troops, push aggressively and micro-manage everyone to ensure victory. Sure I lose once in a while, but since this patch, I haven't won a single game. Sure the Aliens were totally on top of their poo poo, but even games where we had equal rez, great forward bases, and everything going smoothly, we were having a hard time killing them as much as they were killing us, especially on a skulk level. Game after game since the patch I've seen one Marine game where we won, and thats because the aliens were retarded.

I'm hoping they swing it back a little bit more.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Just had a fun, hour-long pubbie game where my team, the Marines had the advantage for most of the game using jetpacks/grenade launchers, which is one of the most effective and definitely the funnest combo I've encountered so far. The frustrating part? We had them down to one hive when my teammates convinced the commander to research and drop a few dual exos. Like, three at once with only a single welder. Needless to say, we got our poo poo kicked in after that, though we did manage to hold our last base for a while.

I have definitely noticed a sharp increase in difficulty when it comes to killing fades since the patch.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Batham posted:

What change? I'm not seeing anything balance-related in the patch notes.

Bloodmobile fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Nov 15, 2012

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Urdnot Fire posted:

Just had a fun, hour-long pubbie game where my team, the Marines had the advantage for most of the game using jetpacks/grenade launchers, which is one of the most effective and definitely the funnest combo I've encountered so far. The frustrating part? We had them down to one hive when my teammates convinced the commander to research and drop a few dual exos. Like, three at once with only a single welder. Needless to say, we got our poo poo kicked in after that, though we did manage to hold our last base for a while.

I have definitely noticed a sharp increase in difficulty when it comes to killing fades since the patch.

I'm terrible and haven't had too much experience in commanding but so far I have kinda noticed correlation between not giving my team Exos to waste resources on and winning.

PROTOSTORM!!!
Oct 24, 2010
Is anyone amping up for a 4-pack or sitting on some extra copies for sale. I'm getting my first paycheck tomorrow and aside from being pumped to buy and cook an entire thanksgiving dinner, people are really hyping me up for NS2 even though I didn't spend too much time in one. Reckless spending abound.

Steam is Vallheran hit that poo poo up duders

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Batham posted:

I hope to god they aren't actually balancing this around the tournament stuff. So far every tournament has been the same 2 teams winning over and over. Every time the marine side has such an easier time because cooperating is so much more powerful on the marine team. Two skulks traveling together is nothing compared to two marines covering each other.

It's just a completely different game then your laid back normal game.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
One player in the tournament mentioned they had a hour long chat with Charlie on balance and stuff. Charlie mentioned they are looking to change the 6 min onos and adding gorge tunnel. He also talked about the current plan is to have a major patch every three months (with smaller ones between the big patch, of course)

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

randombattle posted:

I hope to god they aren't actually balancing this around the tournament stuff. So far every tournament has been the same 2 teams winning over and over. Every time the marine side has such an easier time because cooperating is so much more powerful on the marine team. Two skulks traveling together is nothing compared to two marines covering each other.

It's just a completely different game then your laid back normal game.

Personally, I'm okay with the idea of balance centering around the competitive scene. Tactics tend to leak out from tournaments and high level play and influence pub play over time. The Onos rush came from high level, eventually getting mines and rushing Jetpacks (instead of loving Exos :argh:) will become common in Marine pubs

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Except that pros use voice chat, move in groups, can aim worth poo poo, know when to push and when to defend.

You know, things you never see in random servers.

As purely random example, maybe competitive players know how to bounce around as skulk like superball on crack and because of that Regeneration will be really strong first evolution because they can do hit'n'runs nonstop while it will be completely worthless on most servers because skulk charging straight towards marine guns will die just as fast with reneration as without and so Celerity will be far better first evolution to get skulks into melee faster and make them harder to hit even when they do nothing but whole down W.

Then there's also fact that server sizes will vary a lot and stuff that works on low population server can maybe be easy to counter on high population server.

It's also not guaranteed by no means that Mines and Jetpacks will leak down. Onos Rush tactic easily became common because people love playing Onos and you can rack up tons of kills if you get early Onos, so it's no suprise that people start doing it once they knew it was possible.
Mines on other hand don't have really any 'feel good' component, you toss 15 res into bunch of them and as reward, if you are really observant you might spot kill message at some point of the game. Jetpacks don't make you any tougher so if you are not good at using them to dodge, you'll drop just as fast as without one and to use one for max effectiviness, you have to know when you are safe to fly around to harass hives and poo poo and when to move with your team. I actually predict that even if Exos stay awful, people will still spend res on them because hey, you are huge robot with dual miniguns that costs a lot, clearly this means that it's the highest tier upgrade and you should buy as many as you can.
(The game does piss poor job teaching you the mistakes you make.)

In fact, I would actually like them to lower the skill ceiling by giving marine rifles and skulk bites autoaim within certain cone, say for example, half of the flashlight cone. You could balance it by making rifles only autoaim against Obsed/Scanned aliens and/or against aliens you have already hit at least once. Skulks could use parasites for the same function.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lemon Curdistan posted:

How negatively do people think the game would be affected if you had to have three hives to build Onos and three chairs to build dual mini exos? It seems like it would lead to less "gently caress up once, game's over" type scenarios.
This is a few pages back but I think I may have badly misunderstood you. I thought you meant 3 hives before anyone can become an onos. If you meant 3 hives before a khammander can drop an Onos then that would be completely different and very much a good thing in my opinion.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

There really doesn't need to be auto-aim, there are already plenty of people with amazing aim even in random servers, adding that in would be pretty terrible. Personally the most annoying thing ever seems to be the marines getting pretty fast shotguns, and then you're facing groups of guys that 1-shot you, so any messed up dodge means you're dead. Going higher lifeforms doesn't really help either, I'm pretty sure it can still 1-shot lerks and almost 1-shot fades, so you'll just piss your resources away. They're also 20 resource, which is pretty cheap overall. Once they upgrade to jetpacks for 30, they're way more scary than a lerk for the same cost.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AxeManiac posted:

I forget words when I'm excited OK? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007

ZypherIM posted:

There really doesn't need to be auto-aim, there are already plenty of people with amazing aim even in random servers, adding that in would be pretty terrible.

Those people with amazing aim are already hitting close to 100% hit, giving them autoaim would likely improve their gameplay very little.
Two extremes of balacing rifle are that either it's balanced for people who have high hit percent, in which case it's worthless for people with bad aim, or it's balanced for people who can't hit anything, in which case it's overpowered in hands of people who can hit. Likely, the actual balance is somewhere in the middle.
But if even people with bad aim are suddendly hitting at least sometimes, you can retune the damage values of rifle to be a bit lower. This would accomplish that even terrible marines can hold their ground against skulks rushing straight at them.

• Locked thread