Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Biggest human being Ever posted:

I'm looking for a good RSS reader app as well as a good podcast app? I've seen Good News and Pocket Casts recommended, are those the way to go or are there others I should be looking at?

I use Good News as a combo RSS reader and podcast app, and it's flawless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Goodnews is just about the best thing out there and does RSS + Podcasts. Doggcatcher is what I used to use for podcasts but it is really loving clunky and has questionable UI design. The features are sick though.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=hs.ime.aosp

Someone ported the 4.2 keyboard to 4.1.

I'm using it to type this post and this is kind of addicting...

I know I could just use Swype, but this is nicer for me. I think I'll definitely use this when I get the Nexus 4.

Good to know that others can use it too. I think it can pull from gmail on its own.

Does anyone have this apk? The link is not working for me.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

i like tacos posted:

Does anyone have this apk? The link is not working for me.

It got removed from the Play Store for some reason...that's weird. It kind of makes me weary about using it now.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
Beyond Pod is really great and is worth whatever they are charging now.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Mr. Crow posted:

Is there a news widget similar to Simple Calenders that I can use to take up a full screen in nova launcher and be all pretty like?

If you feel like shelling out for Android Pro Widgets they include a Google Reader widget that can be skinned and set to read whatever feed you want from Reader (I use it to show my News and Tech News RSS feeds).

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

MX Player has stopped working after my Nexus 7 updated to 4.2 ("Unsupported Android version").
Is there a workaround other than to wait for the app to receive an update?

I tried VLC beta but video playback is laggy as hell.
I'm streaming media from my a DLNA server (PS3MediaServer via BubbleUPnP on the tablet.
MX Player worked like a charm.

Are there other goon approved, DNLA capable video players?

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

mcbexx posted:

MX Player has stopped working after my Nexus 7 updated to 4.2 ("Unsupported Android version").
Is there a workaround other than to wait for the app to receive an update?

I'm streaming media from my a DLNA server (PS3MediaServer via BubbleUPnP on the tablet.
MX Player worked like a charm.

Are there other goon approved, DNLA capable video players?

There's a beta build of MX Player with 4.2 support: https://sites.google.com/site/mxvpen/translation/test-build

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Mr. Crow posted:

Is there a news widget similar to Simple Calenders that I can use to take up a full screen in nova launcher and be all pretty like?

I use Business Calendar for a full-screen agenda widget.

e: hurr, that's not what you wanted

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 15, 2012

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
I've got a bunch of work contacts in my contacts. Is it possible for the names to be not visible unless I specially first select the "work" group in the phone app? Using the default CM10 app.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Facebook got updated today.

It's not the native app :allears:

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Biggest human being Ever posted:

I'm looking for a good RSS reader app as well as a good podcast app? I've seen Good News and Pocket Casts recommended, are those the way to go or are there others I should be looking at?

I use DoggCatcher for podcasts and Feedly for newsfeeds on my Motorola Droid Bionic. DoggCatcher has some feed-aggregating ability, but I prefer the format of Feedly. There are complaints from Feedly users that some media don't always display correctly, but for any feed item I want to pursue in detail I can select the browser to open it. Feedly gives one the option to always display full articles from certain feeds directly in the browser. I use Feedly on my desktop PC, too, for what it's worth.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Twitter also got an update today, it's still not as good as most third-party apps.

Paisano
Jul 2, 2007

Oh holy shit... that's my offensive line?
I recently upgraded to the Galaxy S3, and the samsung keyboard is absolutely irritating the hell out of me with its terrible text prediction. Is there any way to get the default Android keyboard? Is there an Android keyboard? Is there another keyboard app out there that is decent but also free?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Swype is free. SwiftKey isn't free, but it's completely worth it. You might be able to find an AOSP keyboard somewhere, but either one of those will be better in the long run.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
SwiftKey is also frequently on sale! And the SwiftKey trial lasts for a full 30 days.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Paisano posted:

Is there any way to get the default Android keyboard?
You can install Jelly Bean Keyboard.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Install Gentoo posted:

SwiftKey is also frequently on sale! And the SwiftKey trial lasts for a full 30 days.

There's also a SwiftKey beta that is free for certain periods of time before expiring.

Paisano
Jul 2, 2007

Oh holy shit... that's my offensive line?
Thanks guys. Is there a lightweight text messaging app everybody loves or should I stick with the stock?

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007
On the subject of keyboards, Keymonk is really, really great. It's like Swype except you can use multiple fingers/thumbs to slide around at once. I'm kind of in love with it.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Out of curiosity but does the official Twitter app lag for anyone when typing or is it just me?

I can deal with no expanded notifications and other cool little Android things but typing a tweet shouldn't be so laggy.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Skeezy posted:

Gets me every time.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

Skeezy posted:

Twitter also got an update today, it's still not as good as most third-party apps.

I've been out of the loop for a while is Plume still considered the best twitter app?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Atomicated posted:

I've been out of the loop for a while is Plume still considered the best twitter app?

People tend to want different features in their clients. I read more than I post, and I find both Tweet Lanes and Boid are pretty and functional.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Atomicated posted:

The official application gets a lot of well deserved hate. There are some real nifty features there like the discover tab and header images and whatnot. But it has really obvious keyboard lag.

Used to be that if you wanted push notifications the official app was the way to go but now we have Tweetings, Echofon, and Boid which all have push offerings of their own.

Tweetings and Echofon even take advantage of Androids expanded notifications so you can reply/retweet/etc right from there. However Tweetings isn't free. It costs $5 and there is no free version, Echofon has a free version with ads and a pro version coming out soon.

Plume is pretty much behind when it comes on push notifications but I like to compare Plume to Tweetbot on iOS. It's a fancy looking app but sometimes it leaves a bit to be desired. Thankfully there's a beta board (http://www.levelupstudio.com/betatest) in which they release a new build every weekday just about.

Right now they are messing around with Twitter API 1.1 which is what all third party apps need to be using by March 2013.

I really get spergy with Twitter apps since I love the service so much but there really isn't a "best twitter app" out there. I mean I guess if I had to pick one it's between Tweetings/Plume (for right now I'd probably say Tweetings).

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Skeezy posted:

Tweetings and Echofon even take advantage of Androids expanded notifications so you can reply/retweet/etc right from there.

Plume does this as well.

Skeezy posted:

Plume is pretty much behind when it comes on push notifications

In what way?

Xarb
Nov 26, 2000

Not happy.

Wikipedia Brown posted:

I'm wondering the same thing. I'm currently using Reeder and Downcast on the iPhone, and I like them so much that I'm ready for disappointment with Android.

I went from Downcast to PocketCast and am very happy with it.

I have simple podcasting needs though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Skeezy posted:

Believe me, we wish it was. Does have Share, though!

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

DemonMage posted:

Plume does this as well.
In what way?

Ahah yeah I forgot Plume does have it.

I meant as in some people really care for push so it's behind in that way I suppose. Does that make sense?

Interociter posted:

Believe me, we wish it was. Does have Share, though!

Oh wow I didn't know you had an account here. I'm always checking /r/Android and I see you there sometimes. Share is nifty yeah. Is the native stuff coming up soon? Like end of this year soon? Any way you can say?

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Nov 16, 2012

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.
Google Voice updated, and screwed up all my settings. Yay!

It appears to be a pain if you just want to use voice for voicemail handling, it seems like they want to fully integrate your phone, and I don't really want to use my google voice number or the texting app.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Cruseydr posted:

It appears to be a pain if you just want to use voice for voicemail handling, it seems like they want to fully integrate your phone, and I don't really want to use my google voice number or the texting app.

I've been hoping that one day they would update Google Voice to have a feature that makes no texts go through the app. It'll never happen though.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Cruseydr posted:

Just go to the Google Voice website, in the settings, and on phones disable the integration for yours. I had to do that to my wifes, and then set up the *28 or whatever for conditional call forwarding so it does the voicemail again.

It's pretty confusing since it's not a setting in the app, and it may not be one on the mobile site either.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

uapyro posted:

Just go to the Google Voice website, in the settings, and on phones disable the integration for yours. I had to do that to my wifes, and then set up the *28 or whatever for conditional call forwarding so it does the voicemail again.

It's pretty confusing since it's not a setting in the app, and it may not be one on the mobile site either.
I had to call Sprint and have them do it from their end because the site wasn't having any effect, and I couldn't even make or receive any calls. I think it was half integrated.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

mcbexx posted:

Last time I checked they're using software decoders for some reason, I'm not surprised it lags.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Skeezy posted:

Is the native stuff coming up soon? Like end of this year soon? Any way you can say?

If I could say, I definitely would have.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Skeezy posted:

I meant as in some people really care for push so it's behind in that way I suppose. Does that make sense?

I was thinking I had Plume set to push, but yeah it doesn't have that. Not that I much care either way, my twitter feeds aren't that important, but it's kinda silly to not have it as an option.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Gyshall posted:

Goodnews is just about the best thing out there and does RSS + Podcasts. Doggcatcher is what I used to use for podcasts but it is really loving clunky and has questionable UI design. The features are sick though.
I would switch to Goodnews full-time except that it doesn't do variable speed playback (with Presto) yet, so I still use Doggcatcher for podcasts.

But I agree, Doggcatcher is a little questionable overall. I picked it over Beyondpod at the time because it was prettier haha.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Does anyone have a good suggestion for a note taking app that you would use with a stylus? The ability to import pdfs for annotations, ability to export and palm rejection are needed too.

Quinch
Oct 21, 2008

Bit of an odd question but for anyone using the youtube app do you find that the trending list is completely different to what is trending on the actual website? All I get is constant yogscast videos, beauty tips and that syndicate kid, none of which I have any interest in, while the website has funny cat videos or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I don't think Google Music matching is supposed to be out in the U.S. yet, but there were a couple tracks on an Amazon-bought album that yesterday said "this song has been flagged as incorrectly matched" and then had a duplicate of it added. Only 4 out of 22 had this, so I don't think it could be fixing tags or something like that. :iiam:

• Locked thread