Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

gariig posted:

It looks like you can't get rid of the <Old Email> on behalf of <Name> at <New Email> when using a GMail account.

What's that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Genderfluid posted:

is there any simple piece of software that i can use on a windows pc to take a photo using the webcam? i don't need any effects or anything, just need to use the camera

If you're not using it for something commercial, amcap is a minimalist video capture tool that can take stills as well. Commercial use requires a license, though.

It's actually based on the sample video capture program in the Windows DirectX SDK, so if you have SDK access you could just build the sample and use that.

VLC can also do video capture but is kind of a pain to set up.

Comedy option: run linux in a VM, use USB passthrough to connect the webcam to the VM and one of the dozens of linux webcam programs to capture.

Akuma posted:

What could cause this to just appear out of nowhere? The photo doesn't show it but in the very middle there's a slight indentation, which leads me to believe it's some sort of bite but we don't have anything flying around in here. Do have a lot of spiders, though. Happened some time this evening, in the UK Midlands.

Orrrrr is there a better thread for this question?

It's probably just a spider bite, even the non-aggressive ones will sometimes get confused and bite humans (often while you sleep) which can result in bites that look like that.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Akuma posted:

What could cause this to just appear out of nowhere? The photo doesn't show it but in the very middle there's a slight indentation, which leads me to believe it's some sort of bite but we don't have anything flying around in here. Do have a lot of spiders, though. Happened some time this evening, in the UK Midlands.

Orrrrr is there a better thread for this question?

If there are two 'teethmarks' in the center, rather close to each other, then it's a spider bite. It might take a while to heal, but if you can avoid scratching it it'll go away faster.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

tarepanda posted:

What's that?

Gmail tells everyone your personal/embarrassing email address if you use that account to send respectable emails

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

greazeball posted:

Gmail tells everyone your personal/embarrassing email address if you use that account to send respectable emails

huh. I've never noticed that before.

Does it only happen when sending as another gmail address?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Genderfluid posted:

is there any simple piece of software that i can use on a windows pc to take a photo using the webcam? i don't need any effects or anything, just need to use the camera

Shouldn't the webcam come with software? Every webcam I've ever had would take stills perfectly well with the accompanying software.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

Human Tornada posted:

I remember a website with backgrounds for old fighting games that were animated... I seem to remember lots of King of Fighters stuff on there. Anybody know what I'm talking about?

http://snk.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Pipe rifles and snack cakes.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Don't take it to the linguistics thread : that's not what they do and you'll look like a jerk. Maybe try asking nicely in the German thread?

I spent a minute on it, couldn't think of a way to construct the '...there' clause that rhymed and gave up. (I'm not a translator.) Maybe I'll put some more effort in later.

Is there some more context here? Like, how much of a crap do you give about the rhyming/content/who the gently caress knows?

I don't care whatsoever about the rhyming, it's just for a story that has to do with recursion.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Are rideshare services / organizations entirely legal? I don't mean simple carpooling with randoms, but the people that do the trips once/twice daily, or every weekend, etc.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Travakian posted:

Are rideshare services / organizations entirely legal? I don't mean simple carpooling with randoms, but the people that do the trips once/twice daily, or every weekend, etc.

I'm a bit confused, why wouldn't they be?

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I'm a bit confused, why wouldn't they be?

Well-- I assume that it's entirely under the table & unreported income.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Genderfluid posted:

Download VLC and open the webcam, you can screenshot or right click in the video area and take a snapshot.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Travakian posted:

Well-- I assume that it's entirely under the table & unreported income.

The smart people report the income so they don't have to worry about tax audits!

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
Haha, I actually worked for a startup that was trying to organize a ride-sharing service, so I actually know something about the law surrounding the issue. The Federal reimbursement rate for using your own vehicle for travel for business-related purposes is $0.555 per mile - this accounts for gasoline and wear-and-tear on the vehicle. The way we figured it, if the rider was paying the driver less than this amount, it wasn't paying him as a ride-for-hire, it was the rider sharing the cost of the trip. This was almost always the case - if it's 10 miles to work, that's a 20-mile round trip, or something like $10 per day before you hit the cap.

We went out of business, so this was never tested in court. Honestly, the only people who we were concerned with were taxicabs - we had hoped to eat into a segment of their market, and we expected them to try to sue/legislate our company out of existence.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

second-hand smegma posted:

I have a Mac G5 (powerpc dual 867) tower that has no wireless capabilities. Is there a USB wireless adapter out there that will work with this machine? It's running the final build of Leopard...10.5.8?

Wireless USB thingies are inexpensive and usually don't require drivers. At worst you're out a few bucks.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

This one is pretty weird, and getting weirder. In the last three days the phone line at work has been acting... strange. We've got a 1800 number in the US that terminates into a local line here (Canada), and it works great. But lately the phone will ring, I'll pick it up, and then I'll hear half of a completely unrelated conversation with someone else. So it'd go like:
Me: Hello (company name), Scaramouche speaking
Guy: So then I says to Mildred I says
(10 seconds of silence while other person is talking that I can't hear)
Guy: Charlie Noodles did that? Holy cow how old was she?
etc. etc.
It'll happen 2 or 3 times in a row, and then I'll get a 'real' call from the same area code. Is this VOIP weirdness or do I have a magic phone now?

EDIT-Also, the other person can't hear me.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I could have sworn that I'd seen an xbmc or htpc thread somewhere... was I hallucinating? I can't find it now.

Gadgets, not hardware. Duh.

tarepanda fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Nov 15, 2012

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Scaramouche posted:

This one is pretty weird, and getting weirder. In the last three days the phone line at work has been acting... strange. We've got a 1800 number in the US that terminates into a local line here (Canada), and it works great. But lately the phone will ring, I'll pick it up, and then I'll hear half of a completely unrelated conversation with someone else. So it'd go like:
Me: Hello (company name), Scaramouche speaking
Guy: So then I says to Mildred I says
(10 seconds of silence while other person is talking that I can't hear)
Guy: Charlie Noodles did that? Holy cow how old was she?
etc. etc.
It'll happen 2 or 3 times in a row, and then I'll get a 'real' call from the same area code. Is this VOIP weirdness or do I have a magic phone now?

EDIT-Also, the other person can't hear me.

There's probably a hunt group somewhere and one of the lines is crossed with another pair. Find your company's telephone person and tell them about the problem, they should know what to do. If you don't have a telephone person, someone should call the telephone company. You'll need to give them your billing telephone number which probably isn't the 800 number. The telco can test your lines remotely and should be able to tell how far the trouble is from the central office. If they find a problem on their end, they'll open a ticket to fix it. If you really have a hunt group and they find a problem with one of the members, you can have them busy out that line until it's repaired so the problem will stop. Telco reps are often dicks and if you have a large hunt group they're not going to want to test all the lines in it, and sometimes they'll just test the pilot number and tell you it's fine (which it probably is.) It could also be a problem on your side of the DEMARC in which case the telco won't touch it and you'll have to find your own service tech to fix it. You mentioned VOIP so it's probably not related to the building you're in, but there's got to be physical lines somewhere.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.
Has anyone ever gotten a ticket while using a uhaul? I intend to pay this ticket but it's not really clear that the fine with uhaul is going toward the actual ticket. They want $70 for a $70 ticket (looked up on the county database) but say they will take $55 if I pay sooner rather than later. They don't clearly state that this will take care of the ticket with the county, though. I shot them an email and am going to give them a call soon. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with this because I'd hate to find out after I pay $55 that I still owe the county $70.

Also, is it normal to receive this information five and a half months later? I just got notification and this was for a June 1 violation.

Thanks for your help.

Edit: They contacted me with an explanation. $40 ticket from the City (wtf, county, don't lie to me when it's the city I should be concerned with!!) and $15 administrative fee.

GreenCard78 fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Nov 15, 2012

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Install Gentoo posted:

If you want to do this, what you're going to need to do is cut the cable company's connection to all the outlets besides the one you use for the cable modem. Then you hook up the roof antenna to the rest of the outlets in the house.

Good idea! I hadn't even thought about doing it that way if my splitter idea wasn't going to work out, but that probably would be the easiest.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Does anyone know of travel comparison websites where I can search for flights from London to America, and I mean anywhere in America. I want to fly in for as cheap as possible and then just bus it around the country for a month or so.

Problem is most sites expect you to pick at best a state or at worst a specific airport, and I'm just looking to grab whatever I can get.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
In a nutshell, what are the arguments against vaccines? If vaccines work by putting a small, typically harmless dose of bad cells in your body so your body learns to create a defense against it, what is the cause for alarm in some groups? I know that definition is a gross simplification, but I assume there's some factor (real or imagined) that i'm missing.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Avocados posted:

In a nutshell, what are the arguments against vaccines?

Literally none.

Avocados posted:

...what is the cause for alarm in some groups?

A nutbar ex-centerfold used her "mommy's intuition" to determine that :siren:VACCINES:siren: gave her "indigo child" :siren:AUTISM:siren:. Oprah enthusiasts then heard about it and the rest is history.

Avocados posted:

I know that definition is a gross simplification, but I assume there's some factor (real or imagined) that i'm missing.

Real: No. Imagined: Most definitely. The anti-vax crowd are a crazy and very, very dangerous bunch. Do not let them convince you that their arguments are valid. Ask in this thread for more information.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Avocados posted:

In a nutshell, what are the arguments against vaccines? If vaccines work by putting a small, typically harmless dose of bad cells in your body so your body learns to create a defense against it, what is the cause for alarm in some groups? I know that definition is a gross simplification, but I assume there's some factor (real or imagined) that i'm missing.

One of the big ones is an alleged link between vaccines and autism, originaly because there was a mercury-based compound used as a preservative and after that stopped being used it was because of ???. There really isn't much evidence linking the two, and a lot of cases are usually because one major round of vaccinations and the ability to diagnose autism both happen around the same age. There was a study or two that showed a link but the person carrying them out was pretty clearly falsifying/manipulating things to make it look that way.

I haven't really looked into it in a while, so I don't know what the latest antivax arguments are, but I think they're still trying to tie it to autism.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Avocados posted:

There was also a single study that linked them, that has since be refuted by medical authorities and by 10 or 13 of its original authors as being fraudulent:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/05/vaccine-autism-study-report_n_805036.html

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm trying to find work, and want to get started at Geek Squad, or at a call center doing over the phone tech support. How do I get started? Is this a good career path if I want to transfer out of my hometown somewhere else? (I loving HATE Los Angeles, and want to move to San Jose or Livermore or somewhere just... Nicer.)

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Mak0rz posted:

Real: No. Imagined: Most definitely. The anti-vax crowd are a crazy and very, very dangerous bunch. Do not let them convince you that their arguments are valid. Ask in this thread for more information.

I'm just curious as to why some people go all out on avoiding what appears to be one of the best medical practices out there for them and more importantly, their kids. Anyways thanks for the answers all.

buglord fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 15, 2012

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Turtlicious posted:

I'm trying to find work, and want to get started at Geek Squad, or at a call center doing over the phone tech support. How do I get started? Is this a good career path if I want to transfer out of my hometown somewhere else? (I loving HATE Los Angeles, and want to move to San Jose or Livermore or somewhere just... Nicer.)

Do you have any skills that would qualify you for these positions? Most retail stores are hiring seasonal employees right now, so start filling out applications.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

avacados posted:

I'm just curious as to why some people go all out on avoiding what appears to be one of the best medical practices out there for them and more importantly, their kids. Anyways thanks for the answers all.

Because people are selfish and have no sense of greater good anymore. I tried explaining herd immunity to an anti-vaxer once because her reasoning was "why risk it if the disease is already eradicated anyway? Better safe than sorry! LOL!" and she could not see why even 2-3 children even hypothetically dying because of a vaccine was better than 1 million children dying from small pox. I hate to generalize, but they're all like that.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful

Avocados posted:

Some people for some reason have an ingrained distrust of doctors and of medical authority. They think that any alternative is better. There's been a lot of fearmongering. Mostly you'll see the same people advocating anti-vax that advocate chiropractors.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
There's sometimes that tiny tiny grain of truth to it all. For example, I'm not an antivaxxer in the least, but I will never get a flu shot because my grandmother was one of the ones who got Guillain–Barré back in the 70s.

I rely on the rest of you pincushions to keep me safe. :unsmith:

Speaking from a former libertarian viewpoint (and, along with that, the requisite questioning of authority) is many people think they Know Better. "I read this on a website! The man's just trying to keep us down!" Being a libertarian kind of requires that mindset, to a certain extent, and it goes into other things. Global warming. Abiogenic petroleum. Truthers. Birthers. Basically, the whole notion of, "The experts are out to get us!"

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Golbez posted:

There's sometimes that tiny tiny grain of truth to it all. For example, I'm not an antivaxxer in the least, but I will never get a flu shot

Uh, this makes you somewhat of an anti-vaxxer...

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Avocados posted:

Anthroposopy is a strong movement in Europe, they run their own schools (Waldorf) and run clinics based on homeopathy and organic farms based on burying dead mice at the correct astrological timing (biodynamics).

The entire movements are based on the ramblings of Rudolf Steiner. He believed himself to be the reincarnation of Moses and to have access to the Akasha Chronicles, sacret truths documented only on the astral plane and readable only by the very very enlightened.

Humans are supposed to go through a very fixed series of stages of development, some which are dominated by one element or another. That's why young kids are not allowed to play soccer, because they will lose energy to the element of EARTH.

Childhood diseases like measles, rubella and whooping cough are seen as very important to the correct development of the body and soul, and to deny them to anyone is unnatural and harmful.

That's why hundreds of thousands of Europeans and Americans don't vaccinate their kids.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthroposophical_medicine

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

RaoulDuke12 posted:

"why risk it if the disease is already eradicated anyway? Better safe than sorry! LOL!"

The worst part about this argument is that diseases that are vaccinated against aren't eradicated. Smallpox is the only human disease that's been completely wiped out beyond lab samples, and surprise surprise, people don't get vaccinated against smallpox anymore. There's currently a whooping cough epidemic in Washington state, with thousands of cases and at least 10 deaths this year. Anti-vaccination people can't be blamed for this alone though, because pertussis requires frequent boosters to maintain immunity, and a lot of people don't keep current. I think that's one of the reasons they bundle it with the vaccine usually given for tetanus since that's more in peoples' minds of something they should be current on.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
What's the formula for working out what percentage number X is of number Y? E.g. What percentage of 800 is 500? Hard to phrase in google to get the right result...

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Experto Crede posted:

What's the formula for working out what percentage number X is of number Y? E.g. What percentage of 800 is 500? Hard to phrase in google to get the right result...
X / Y * 100

500 / 800 = 0.625 = 62.5%

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

X/Y*100

e: Beaton

and how can you not know that?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Golbez posted:

There's sometimes that tiny tiny grain of truth to it all. For example, I'm not an antivaxxer in the least, but I will never get a flu shot because my grandmother was one of the ones who got Guillain–Barré back in the 70s.

I rely on the rest of you pincushions to keep me safe. :unsmith:

Congratulations, you are part of the problem. And when enough people think like that, there aren't enough "pincushions" around to keep you safe anymore.

(P.S. the link between flu shots and GBS is tenuous at best, and in the worst case doubles your odds of contracting GBS, to a shocking...0.0002%. If you're over 50.)

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Experto Crede posted:

One of my middle school math books phrased it like this--

a% of b = c (a% * b = c in math terms).

So in your case, a% * 800 = 500, so divide 500/800 and you find that it's 0.625, or 62.5%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

axolotl farmer posted:

X/Y*100

e: Beaton

and how can you not know that?
Who is that?

(I too wonder how old that poster is and where they went to school. Just such a curious question.)

E: and is that a Kate Beaton joke or do you not know how to spell beaten oh god what's going on in here :psyduck: