Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Tupac
Oct 9, 2012

by T. Finninho
One more confession, as this is somewhat cathartic.

When I was a preteen, me and my friends used to act out our own RPG using plastic swords and old halloween costumes. It was turn based, so each of us would wait to attack or cast a spell or whatever. We would even improvise a whole plot, I can't remember any of them but I'm sure it was just an amalgamation of stuff we picked up from various Final Fantasy games. I remember one kid was always a dinosaur.

For all the nerdy poo poo I've done in my life, I can at least proudly say I have never once owned a fedora

Doctor Tupac fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Fütbol
May 18, 2003

FUCKING GOOOOOOOAL IN PHRAGMATICS FYAD CONTEST
Here are some highlights of my nerdy life:

- I'm planning on getting a VFD tattoo from "A Series of Unfortunate Events" on my ankle
- I was a mathlete in middle school (although that word never came up) and I did Quiz Bowl in high school. Instead of, you know, doing drugs and going to parties and such.
- I've also never done drugs at all and don't plan to ever start.
- I've worn quite a few video game shirts, although that's pretty much over. My fashion sense is slowly improving.
- I've spent countless hours playing video games throughout my life time in general.
- In middle school, I gave presentations about video games, chess, and several about J.R.R Tolkien. (As a semi-related aside, I did a presentation about Muhammed Ali, AS Muhammed Ali in 5th grade. I am very, very white. I did it without any irony whatsoever)
- I wasn't in Drama club in High School, but I totally wish I had. (Although I ended up being a theatre major in college)
- I got all 151 Pokemon in the first generation, which is pretty much the only generation I recognize, as I've barely played any of the other ones.
- I have a lot of Earthbound stuff, including posters, magnets, a fan-made book, and a hoodie
- I have other video game posters in room, including a Psychonauts poster signed by Tim Schafer!
- Just bought a Jayne hat, which I wear out in public regularly
- Own a fedora, have only worn it a few times. Never owned a trenchcoat
- Have gone to LAN parties, participated in video game tournaments. Won at least one Smash Bros. Brawl tournament.
- Unlike all the people who have turned down girls, either for engaging in nerd pursuits or because they didn't believe them, I've never even had the chance to turn down a girl, and as far as I know, I haven't missed any signs that a girl has been into me because there haven't been any (unless I'm super oblivious)

- Some things I've never done: Played WoW, gotten reallly into Anime, played any pen and paper RPG/card game like Magic: The Gathering, cosplay, read/written fan fiction

Doctor Tupac
Oct 9, 2012

by T. Finninho
edit: oops, nvm

Snuffy the Evil
Oct 9, 2012

Elephantgun posted:

gently caress I forgot about this.

We got a math book that there were problems and we picked maybe 30 out of 200 pages to work from over the course of the year. I spent the first 4 weeks of school going through all 200 pages in my math book and solving every problem during homeroom/studyhall. When people asked why, I replied "for fun".

I was also really excited at the start of every school year because I would get a fresh new history book and I couldn't wait to get home and read it cover to cover.

:allears:

I wish I was still this excited about school. :smith:

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Me and my buddy both wore Jurassic Park T-shirts to the theater premiere.

My friends and I alternated between playing chess, magic the gathering, and butts up(a sadistic form of handball - if you describe it it sounds even more gay somehow) during lunch.

I wore black ugg boots for most of 8th grade with a khaki flight jacket. I'm throwing up in my mouth right now thinking about it.

My parents made me take a tape recorder to each of my teachers to record my homework because I wasn't doing it. This episode would culminate with my dad randomly showing up to a few of my classes and sitting through the whole thing after being introduced by the teacher. That was tenth grade.

I would ditch classes only to go hang out in other classes I liked better.

My friends and I all went to the Mortal Kombat premiere and yelled catchphrases at the screen during the movie. We got the entire theater worked up and into it.

My buddy made up his own RPG which was basically just him GMing on the fly with no dice or whatever. We played this over the phone for hours a night for months. My character was an alien from the movie "Aliens". I am so original.

While wearing light jeans,I scratched myself mightily on the inner thigh with what I thought was the backside of a pen. It was the writing side. Wore that around all day.

We had a 6th grade recital where I had to perform. I made a big diorama with plastic dinosaurs and they rejected it, so I bought baggy neon pants, a tacky rear end hat and t-shirt and did a rap about why dinosaurs were rad. The lunch bell rang right in the middle of it. I went backstage and argued with the poor girl running the tape with my mic still on. I used a generic beat that came pre-programmed on the drum machine.

I just realized I could probably fill a book with these things.

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson
Add me to the list of guys who was big time into wrestling e-feds. I used to make a poo poo-ton of sigs too, which really just amounted to covering a bunch of grunge brushes, a pre-cut out picture of a wrestler, and some "brutal" free font. God I used to make posters for fake wrestling events as well.

I also remember getting into some forums drama on gameFAQs, posting a banme and thinking pepole cared. I then moved to some offsite spinoff, got caught up in some drama and posted another banme.

Fortunately I never brought up this nerdy poo poo in real-life, I was too busy talking about Halo or true Heavy Metal to anyone who would listen.

I feel so dirty. Well, maybe not as bad as some of you should, but still ashamed.

The Mutato fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 16, 2012

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
Confession Time!

- I'm a 25 year old girl. I still buy every new pokemon game that comes out. I went to the Gamestop in the mall to get Keldeo, because I love unicorns.

- I own an autographed hard-cover copy of the Last Unicorn by Peter Beagle. I own an autographed DvD of the same title because I wore out 2 VHS's and one DvD through the course of my life.

- My first crush as a child was on Cheetara, from the Thundercats. I was five or six. I used to pretend I was a lost Thundaran Prince and would rescue her from some kind of evil thing- I had a talking Thundercats sword and I would run around beating trees and stuff while yelling tiny battlecries at confused squirrels.

- I follow neil gaimen and amanda palmer on Tumblr. I have cosplayed as Delirium.

- I cosplay. I've been Delirium (Sandman), Vincent Valentine (ff7), Count D (petshop of horrors), and Zack Fair (ff7), and a Medic (TF2). The only problem with most of these costumes is that...well, i'm a girl, 61.5 inches tall, and only weigh about 110 pounds. I'm not a convincing guy.

- I have a pink bicycle basket full of magic cards I need to get rid of. I have a box full of Yu-gi-oh cards.

- I own the entire series of Six Feet Under, because it's amazing. My girlfriend and I also own almost all the Doctor Whos and most of Supernatural.

- ...My girlfriend and I do fan roleplays. We're in the Dean/Castiel shipping club. Tumblr. Tumblr is full of this- that's pretty much all it is- Memes and Gay Fandom.

- I still play BATTLETECH. My brother and I used to have a program that let us make our own Mech sheets.

- I also play Vampire, D&D 4th and 2nd edition, Planescape, and Shadowrun.

- :allears: I built my computer. He's powder blue and has blue lights inside of him. His name is Ozymandias. He boots Linux and Windows 7. I plan on painting rainbows and fat ponies on the side of him that isn't see-through and lit up.

Freakbox fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 16, 2012

milktwice
Feb 15, 2012
I used to get so wound up over video games that I'd work myself into a panic attack. Good times.

LtAldoRaine
Oct 4, 2012
This one time at band camp, I sang to a girl.

I was a junior in high school attending summer band camp at a state college. I kept seeing this gorgeous, tanned brunette in the hallways before sectionals who played some mad bassoon. She was really good, and what was more amazing, she was a hot girl into a really lame instrument. I was in love.

But, I didn't know how to talk to her. We didn't have any of the same classes, and she was in a much higher quality band than me. But, I did find out her name from an acquaintance who was in the same band. It was Becky Brown, and she was perfect.

Being far too overly romantic at the time, I concocted a plan to sing to her during the daily assembly, which was about one-thousand students and staff. Every day some person or group would do some skit, or play a song, or any number of things to entertain everyone. I got four friends to make an a capella singing group with me, and rehearsed two songs for about a week. We even had t-shirts made that had our group name on a fluorescent pink background. I asked the staff to let us perform during an assembly, and being a supportive staff, they agreed. So, we rehearsed "The Lion Sleeps Tonight," and a song by Huey Lewis whose name I can't remember now.

Right before we went on stage, I panicked as I had no way to really let her know I was the one singing to her, because I was singing bass and there were five of us. But, there was one line in the Huey Lewis song that I performed solo. So, I ran outside two minutes before we were supposed to go onstage, and looked for flowers. I found some little pink ones, and snagged as many as I could. I ran back inside and we started the show. After we sang "Lion," I asked Becky to come up on stage and sit in front of us. She did, and when we got to my solo line, I got on one knee and gave her the flowers and then went back to the rest of the song.

Afterward, I asked her if she would join me for lunch. She agreed, thankfully. At lunch in the cafeteria, she admitted she was flattered, as was her boyfriend, whom she said was so impressed he let her spend the afternoon with me.

Well, I didn't win the girl, but I haven't regretted that crazy move. Nor have I ever done anything even close to that bold. Getting shot down that publicly was something I didn't want to repeat. But, the Junior Cruisers stayed together for a year, and we sang at all sorts of venues and even sang an impromptu Star Spangled Banner to a weeping crowd in a hotel when the first Gulf War started. All in all, a good, spergy memory, and "American Pie" can go suck it!

Lintwhite
Oct 15, 2007

I was the biggest, worst weeaboo as a teenager. I was around 17 when I got heavy into Inuyasha and bought a Inuyasha plushie and took selfies with it. And I also once bought a Kuroneko-sama hat (you know, the cat from Trigun) in the mall and wore it around (I also pictures of myself posing in it, good God.) I've spent about $100 on every volume of Gravitation. I badly cosplayed a character from Gravitation for Halloween and proudly put the pictures up on MySpace, back when that was a thing. I spoke fangirl Japanese all the time and used chopsticks to eat everything and ate Pocky. I was that loser you always see in Barnes & Noble standing there in the manga section reading and nerding out.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

The Mutato posted:

Add me to the list of guys who was big time into wrestling e-feds. I used to make a poo poo-ton of sigs too, which really just amounted to covering a bunch of grunge brushes, a pre-cut out picture of a wrestler, and some "brutal" free font. God I used to make posters for fake wrestling events as well.

:spergin::hf::spergin:

If someone were to find all the old e-feds I roleplayed in back in middle school, I'd have to change my name and leave the country from sheer embarrassment.

On top of that, I used to loudly play card games in the middle of lunch with a group of kids that exclusively wore dragon t-shirts and sweatpants.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Just had my house painted, and the conversation I had with the painter was pure essence of :sperg: on my behalf. I was annoyed at how expensive it was to just slap some paint on the walls, but my wife insisted so I just had to deal with it.

Me: So how do you plan to tackle this?
Painter: Well I'll start in the lounge, then work my way t-..
Me: No, no. I mean, how do you apply the paint? Physically. To the walls.
Painter: *points* I've got this brush, roller, and spray machine for the ceiling. Most of it I do by hand so-..
Me: Let me get this straight. In the year 2012 painting technology has not increased an inch past 2000BC, so I'm paying $7k for someone to yank out some horse hair, clump it together and slop it over the walls like a caveman?! How do you even get it consistent?
Painter: (starting to regret taking the job) I've.. got 20 years experience. There won't be any streaks or shadows.
Me: Right, but shouldn't we be able to measure the applied paint thickness down to 0.001mm? Some sort of laser measuring? Why even apply it by hand? Surely there is a robotic solution for domestic painting??
Painter: ...
Me: What about a spider-bot capable of crawling the walls, painting as it goes. Then it can apply paint, laser measure, fill in minor cracks all at the same time.

At this point my mind caught up to what I'd actually said, but I couldn't even manage a "heh, just kidding" to recover.

Still pissed about the lack of painting spider-bots.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
The Star Wars Insider magazine used to come with this choose-your-own adventure game, completely with WAY COOL carrying case, a whole slew of books, glossy cards for all the characters and equipment, record sheets for keeping track of health and stats and stuff. Every story included about four new character cards, and they had colored borders to let you know what side they were on; Rebel, Empire, or independents. I think I had about twenty books before I unsubscribed, and at the beginning of each adventure they told you what side the adventure was for, and to pick a character from that side for the adventure.

Well, I didn't do that.

Boba Fett. Every story. Even if the story specified that you needed a Rebel who had Force powers.

... Boba ended up getting into a lot of lightsaber duels.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...
My dad once said in front of the first girl I liked that it was almost time for my friends to come on.

My friends were apparently DBZ.

Still makes me shudder.

Umbilical Lotus
Nov 13, 2005

OH NO!!!! AXE CUT YOU!!!!

ellbent posted:

The Star Wars Insider magazine used to come with this choose-your-own adventure game, completely with WAY COOL carrying case, a whole slew of books, glossy cards for all the characters and equipment, record sheets for keeping track of health and stats and stuff. Every story included about four new character cards, and they had colored borders to let you know what side they were on; Rebel, Empire, or independents. I think I had about twenty books before I unsubscribed, and at the beginning of each adventure they told you what side the adventure was for, and to pick a character from that side for the adventure.

Well, I didn't do that.

Boba Fett. Every story. Even if the story specified that you needed a Rebel who had Force powers.

... Boba ended up getting into a lot of lightsaber duels.

I want all of these. I had a huge collection of choose-your-own-adventure books as a kid, and I cried when my mom threw that box out. I've been trying to regrow my collection in adulthood, but I've so far only managed a few Fighting Fantasies and D&D choose-your-owns. I might have to resort to ebay. I still log on to Infinite Story to this day to write spergy stories about dragons.

I went through a ~*pretty pixie fairy*~ phase as a teenager that absorbed every facet of my life. I found a pair of black and red fairy wings at Halloween when I was fourteen or so, and wore that poo poo everywhere. At least, until some more socially developed kid at school ripped them off my back and stomped on them. I was a teenage witch at the time as well; I figured that one day, the fairies would notice my wings and take me away with them to live forever in fairyland. I had a custom Well of Souls sprite that I made to look like me with those wings.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

dud root posted:

Just had my house painted, and the conversation I had with the painter was pure essence of :sperg: on my behalf. I was annoyed at how expensive it was to just slap some paint on the walls, but my wife insisted so I just had to deal with it.

Still pissed about the lack of painting spider-bots.

You seriously did that??! What is wrong with you?? Weren't you thinking about how incredibly awkward you were making that poor guy? Gosh.

Though, dude, I bet that painter is writing about you on a forum for painters right now, saying to his online painter friends: "Man, so I was painting this one guy's house today..." You have become That One Guy.

Haha, nah it's okay. :shobon:

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Most of my online friends are from ewrestling. https://www.thefwo.com

These weren't role play based, though. They were angle based. You'd write out angles with someone including like 3000 word matches. Monthly ppvs that had fans. People would read them and post about them on message boards.

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.
Boring/lazy list due to my lack of story telling skills and general lack of stories.

- I own nearly half of the games on steam
- I have all of them organized by genre or if the series exceeds more than 2 they are organized by the series.
- I have wasted more time playing video games than I have ever spent socializing.
- Use lunix as my primary OS
- Have spent countless hours customizing everything I can modify to the way I like it.
- Do not know if it is considered spergy, but I love electronic music more than any other genre. Second is orchestra followed by jazz.
- I was heavily into anime for a chunk of my life, I still enjoy some series but for the most part it all seems to run together.
- Once went on a 2 minute long rant about the difference between hacking and cracking.
- Spend many hours every so often organizing files on my puters, grouping things by category then sub-category and in some cases sub-sub-category.
- Prolly going to get a Total Annihilation tattoo and Dwarf Fortress tattoo when I have the monies.
- Have binary tattooed on both arms, will of course regret this when I get older.
- Have terrible fashion sense, I normally wear my steel toed leather boots with khakis and usually a blank shirt.
- Spent a few years as a "goth" thinking back on it is rather cringe worthy.
- Spent many a year not bathing on a daily basis, really puts it into perspective why people avoided me.
- I loving love lists and uniformity! I could seriously make lists and organize poo poo for hours.

I have never owned a fedora nor a trench coat, you guys are/were pretty nerdy compared to me :smug:

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Man, I didn't know SA had so many spergin' girls. Awesome.

We need a :girlsperg: to go along with :spergin:

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

broken pixel posted:

• Nowadays, my greatest offense in League of Legends. My boyfriend and I frequently sperg out and have lengthy discussions about the metagame. It's really quite tame compared to my past hobbies.

Hey, this sounds like me and my boyfriend! Also if you ever want to play send me a PM.

Let's see...

Like a lot of goons, I had an anime fixation in high school, up to and including covering a folder in funky drawn pictures of Duo Maxwell that I printed out. I researched floriography (is that the right word?) because I was obsessed with an anime that had a lot of flower symbolism; I also painted the lyrics to said anime's theme song on the wall of my school as my addition to our class mural. I couldn't draw, but I translated it all out laboriously and painted it in my chickenscratch.

I still go to cons, and enjoy them. I went to ACen this year with my boyfriend and our roommate, and I flew back to my hometown to attend Nan Desu Kan (although that was an excuse to spend a weekend with my best friend, and all we did was sit in the hotel, drink, and make fun of lovely costumes). I also cosplay, and have a photo of myself and my best friend in full costume with a very well-known voice actor. (I'm actually proud of the level of recognition I've gotten from voice actors for the costumes I've chosen to do. Too bad almost no one else ever recognizes them.)

I own a ball-jointed doll. My best friend owns about seven, and one of our mutual friends owns twenty. Altogether, their collections are worth nearly $25,000. My doll's worth about $800, if one counts the clothing and sundries.

I play League of Legends and Guild Wars 2, and have discussions with my boyfriend about LoL's meta and our explorations in GW2.

I think the spergiest thing I ever did was actually role-playing on Livejournal. The community demanded I do a lot of research, and it paid off. I still know more about both Colorado and Idaho history/trivia than any non-historian people I know.

I've never owned a fedora, at least?

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

Now with 33% less Engrish
Do you remember where you were on new years eve of the year 2000?

I was in front of my computer playing Everquest. I remember exacly where I was in the game too, I was meditating on the south side of the map in the East Karana zone waiting for my mana to be full so I can kill some more Kodiaks and Wasps with my level 15 ish halfling druid. :gbsmith:

To this day when people ask me about this very historical evening, I just lie.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Frog 1.0 posted:

I was in front of my computer playing Everquest. I remember exacly where I was in the game too, I was meditating on the south side of the map in the East Karana zone waiting for my mana to be full so I can kill some more Kodiaks and Wasps with my level 15 ish halfling druid. :gbsmith:

If it makes you feel any better I don't remember what I did at all for NYE 2000 but, considering what I did with the rest of my life around that time, there's a very good chance it was the exact same thing. It's pretty much a tossup between that and some extreme farming with my dark elf necromancer. He was always way ahead of my druid in levels, so a lot of my time on that character was spent getting items for my druid, then continuing to monopolize the spawn until he outlevelled it or I got bored. I think I spent a week farming the ancient crocodile in upper guk to get pants for my druid.

I was just as nerdy in EQ as I was in real life, the only classes I played were the ones who could solo reasonably because I didn't like grouping with other people. I also played on the PvP server because I was an rear end in a top hat and I loved casting fear on people in the middle of a dungeon.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

gamingCaffeinator posted:

I own a ball-jointed doll. My best friend owns about seven, and one of our mutual friends owns twenty. Altogether, their collections are worth nearly $25,000. My doll's worth about $800, if one counts the clothing and sundries.

There's a thread for us in the hobbies subform; have you seen it? :)

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.
It didn't used to be that strange to catch me jerking off kind of lazily while reading an FM or TM on NBC weaponry and their deployment.

I carried a sock-monkey in my rucksack for six years and eventually got him a little chocolate chips uniform.

My best friends and I used to play AD&D till like 3AM when we had to be at work at 8AM.

I used to program my Vic-20 with programs from COMPUTE! magazine and store them on a tape drive. I beat the ever-living poo poo out of one of my brothers for recording Abba over Blue Meanies.

I installed PC games on the unit computers so I wouldn't be bored, and hid them.

I was lazy enough that I programmed a height/weight/age calculator complete with flag notifications for the PC rather than have to do it by hand and pretty soon the drat program was all over the place.

Up until last year I wrote d20 tabletop RPG products for sale.

I took electronic engineering courses just because I wanted to know how poo poo worked.

When I was 12 my Father bought a kit that me and him built together into a color television that lasted for almost 10 years.

One time my unit had a contest: Clan VS Inner Sphere, the Battle for Terra. Officers VS Enlisted/NCO's, and we took about two months fighting that whole thing out. (Inner Sphere takes the GOLD! SUCK IT, CLAN MONKEYS!) I not only participated, but my knowledge about Battletech made it so I was the only enlisted referee.

I ran a Ravenloft Game in the hospital after Desert Storm and even got one of the nurses to play.

I use modern mathematics to determine out the statistics for nations in my RPG world.

Christ, I'm a serious geek.

Nostalgia4ColdWar fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Nov 16, 2012

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

50 Foot Ant posted:

I took electronic engineering courses just because I wanted to know how poo poo worked.

That's not sperg, that's just smart.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

DrSunshine posted:

You seriously did that??! What is wrong with you?? Weren't you thinking about how incredibly awkward you were making that poor guy? Gosh.

Though, dude, I bet that painter is writing about you on a forum for painters right now, saying to his online painter friends: "Man, so I was painting this one guy's house today..." You have become That One Guy.

Haha, nah it's okay. :shobon:

For some reason I really want to see the forum where house painters go to.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
I don't even know how this happened

(that's a little over 7 months)

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.
I have thousands of hours logged in the L4D2 Editor.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
I once had a racket going where people on Neopets would commission me to write terrible, paint-by-numbers fanfiction about Harry Potter characters in exchange for bottles of green sand, which I would use to move up the ranks in a green-sand based guild I was involved in. I think that's what got that account iced, but at that point I had wised up and had laundered my ill-gotten gains into another account. The silent partner.

Something was wrong with 13-year-old me.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Throw me onto the "could have gotten laid, played wow" pile.
Though my situation was a bit different cause the girl in question was a RL friend and we played on the same server, but I rather do a dungeon with her then come over when she was home alone and dropping mad hints.

Henker
May 5, 2009

I spent about 3 years raiding all day in WoW. Literally all day - I'd play my Troll Hunter in the afternoon and night, go to bed for a few hours, then get up at 4am so I could raid on my Night Elf Rogue with some Australians. I also at nothing but Hot Pockets and Totino's pizza during that period, so I gained 70 pounds.

I've since stopped playing WoW and lost the weight.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
Between the ages of 15 and 18 my favorite thing to do on the weekends was to take a 1.5 hour train, by myself, to the nearest really big city and visit the library there. Mostly because they had a lot of comic books and a huge selection of music, and I was really scared of torrenting. I would come home in the evening with like, 25 records and a stack of comic TPBs. By the time I moved there I had read through their entire comic section, and had moved onto the classical section of the cd library after having exhausted the pop, rock, hip hop and electronic section.

I probably could have just gotten a couple of my friends to join me if I had asked, but I really enjoyed just going by myself.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

50 Foot Ant posted:

I used to program my Vic-20 with programs from COMPUTE! magazine and store them on a tape drive. I beat the ever-living poo poo out of one of my brothers for recording Abba over Blue Meanies.

LOAD ERROR :argh:

Related content:
I used to horde heads in the sewers of Club Caribe and play Hi/Lo on a local BBS to jack up my download credits. While not entirely :spergin: by itself, I did this by running a 100' telephone cord from my 300 baud modem on the second floor, across the hall, and down a flight of stairs to the only telephone jack in the house located on the first floor kitchen. I did this in the middle of the night while everyone was asleep. I also placed a pillow over the modem speaker to muffle the sound so I didn't wake anyone. I was so good at doing this covertly that I even had spots on each stair I walked on that I knew wouldn't make them squeak. I believe I was 11 years old at the time. I was only caught because our phone bill was astronomical one month.

Edit: also reminded of my first LAN session using a 4 port hub my two other friends and I purchased for $100 used. It took us 6 hours to figure out how to connect via IPX and we never really got it 100% right. The other 12 hours were spent mostly transferring patches to each others PCs and updating games with a few moments of actual gaming somewhere in-between. and we loved every minute of it

crashdome fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Nov 16, 2012

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA
When I was a wee slip of a thing I was very into Star Wars, and most everything I got as gifts was Star Wars relates. One year I got a large Boba Fett doll that had a viewport in his head so you could look through his eyes and he had some beads on a string that went around his shoulder.

The day I got him I was playing with him all over the house - I ran around introducing him to all my other dolls, to the cat to the dog, to the people in the house. Boba Fett was my baby.

The next day, I woke up and immediately ran to get Boba Fett out and..

Boba Fett's beads were missing!.

I completely lost my poo poo. I started SCREAMING my head off - I mean screaming in the way I had been taught to if someone tried to touch me in my bathing suit area. It was like 5 in the morning and so this woke up everyone in the house. I started running around the house, frantic, screaming "Boba Fett's beads are missing!" over and over while looking for them. I don't even know what the hell the beads were supposed to be or why he needed them, but I felt like the worst bounty hunter mommy in the universe, and kept intermixing apologies to him for my failing.

This went on for about an hour - it was an honest to god panic attack - and everyone started to help me look just to shut me up. We finally found them sitting on the kitchen counter by the cat's food dish and I tearfully thanked everyone for helping me look and brought the beads back to Boba Fett, cradling him in my arms and apologizing for losing his beads.

To this day, every once in a while, any time I start to feel like I may not be completely uncool, this gets brought up by my family. My step-mother still will just randomly tell me "Boba Fett's beads are missing!"

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

ellbent posted:

This thread keeps on giving; I remember more and more things about myself I wish I had forgotten.

This is so true.

I learnt to use Photoshop by trying to forge Pokemon trading cards. I'd download pictures of japanese ones, "translate them" and print them on photo paper. I almost managed to fool one kid into trading one with me but I felt bad and couldn't do it :ohdear:

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL

Umbilical Lotus posted:

I want all of these. I had a huge collection of choose-your-own-adventure books as a kid, and I cried when my mom threw that box out. I've been trying to regrow my collection in adulthood, but I've so far only managed a few Fighting Fantasies and D&D choose-your-owns. I might have to resort to ebay. I still log on to Infinite Story to this day to write spergy stories about dragons.

I went through a ~*pretty pixie fairy*~ phase as a teenager that absorbed every facet of my life. I found a pair of black and red fairy wings at Halloween when I was fourteen or so, and wore that poo poo everywhere. At least, until some more socially developed kid at school ripped them off my back and stomped on them. I was a teenage witch at the time as well; I figured that one day, the fairies would notice my wings and take me away with them to live forever in fairyland. I had a custom Well of Souls sprite that I made to look like me with those wings.

Okay, I was actually going insane for a while because I couldn't find any mention of what I was remembering. Star Wars Insider never had a game series, "star wars choose your own adventure" came up with nothing on Google, Wookieeopedia only had some books that came out in 2003 called Star Wars Adventures, and I didn't get any results for a search for the Darth Vader carrying case they came in. I was seriously going nuts. BUT. Finally found the fuckers. It was called Star Wars Missions.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_Missions

It was a mail-order deal for a magazine called Star Wars Kids that you got through one of those school reading programs.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Frog 1.0 posted:

When I lived with my parents usually I got to party one new year, and they got to party the next (we had dogs to watch over and keep calm). I felt really goddamn pathetic sitting and drinking alone in front of the computer, celebrating new years on World of Warcraft, but it's better than nothing. I actually made some good in game "friends" one new years, we talked about our pathetic situations and how we were stuck home during new year.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Skilleddk posted:

I actually made some good in game "friends" one new years, we talked about our pathetic situations and how we were stuck home during new year.

If they remade The Breakfast Club every decade that'd be the 90s version.

ID Unavailable
Mar 2, 2012

THIS SOME DAVID LYNCH SHIT, HUH

Elman posted:

This is so true.

I learnt to use Photoshop by trying to forge Pokemon trading cards. I'd download pictures of japanese ones, "translate them" and print them on photo paper. I almost managed to fool one kid into trading one with me but I felt bad and couldn't do it :ohdear:

I did that with both Pokemon and Yugioh cards. They looked awful and we're poorly laminated.

Good thing I never actually played anyone else in either of those games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

ellbent posted:

Okay, I was actually going insane for a while because I couldn't find any mention of what I was remembering. Star Wars Insider never had a game series, "star wars choose your own adventure" came up with nothing on Google, Wookieeopedia only had some books that came out in 2003 called Star Wars Adventures, and I didn't get any results for a search for the Darth Vader carrying case they came in. I was seriously going nuts. BUT. Finally found the fuckers. It was called Star Wars Missions.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_Missions

It was a mail-order deal for a magazine called Star Wars Kids that you got through one of those school reading programs.

I had these; and they're probably floating around my parents' house somewhere.

They came from a book order, like one of those Scholastic things schools handed out to kids.

• Locked thread