Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Butthole
Nov 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

StandardVC10 posted:

Try the Signature Armor mod if you want it to give you defense buffs. I actually had a similar situation with the Followers, it's like "well okay these guys seem cool" on the first run then you find a few more sidequests and you can be their best buddies. :)

Rope Kid's mod gives it like 8 DT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mushball
May 23, 2012

prometheusbound2 posted:

I don't have any particular attachment to post-apocalyptic settings. Still I love Fallout. The series continuing forward into a post-post apocalypse is something can be really interesting, and I don't know of any other stories that have this conceit. I wonder what will actually happen, though, as Bethesda doesn't do prequels and Obsidian developers have lamented the fact Fallot isn't really PA anymore.

I think Rope Kid mentioned that he was interested in making a team-based game similar to Enemy Territory set in the resource wars. Why Bethesda hates prequels is beyond me as actions taking place in Canada or China before the bombs fell would have no real contradictions to the events in the games unless they put a young Elder Lyons or Frank Horrigan in as soldiers serving in the resource wars who got frozen and thawed out much later after the war to become what they are in their games.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

a real peso poo poo posted:

Also is there a way to wear the NCR black armor without pissing off the rangers?
The Ranger combat armor counts as a NCR disguise, so you can wear it without pissing of the ranger. In fact, the whole NCR should treat you as their buddy if you put it on.

If you meant how to get it without killing one of them:
Once your reputation with the NCR is liked or better, Colonel Hsu at McCarran should give you the key to a Ranger safe house. You can find one there.
Also you can find variation of the armor in Honest Hearts & Lonesome Road.

Magic posted:

In my main play through I got the impression that Elijiah's Modified LAER is probably one the bet weapons in the game?
It's on the list of best weapon in terms of damage, but I wouldn't recommend it as a main weapon. It has really low durabillity, so the thing will eat though repair kits and jurry rigged energy rifles like candy.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Nov 16, 2012

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Sam. posted:

Did China even invade the continental US in Fallout? I thought all the fighting was going on in Alaska/China, and the only Chinese in the US were spies/commandos.

Depending on how much weight you give to FO3, China's military operations in the US would be carried out predominantly by communist sympathizers and deep-cover commandos. At the time of the bombs (as far as we know) neither side mounted a significant invasion of the other. Though one doing so would be more than enough provocation to go full-apocalypse.

Given resource scarcity, it's arguable that neither could have actually managed to get a full invasion force across the pacific and steadily supplied, let alone a full occupation.

Acute Grill fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Nov 16, 2012

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Kalos posted:

Depending on how much weight you give to FO3, China's military operations in the US would be carried out predominantly by communist sympathizers and deep-cover commandos. At the time of the bombs (as far as we know) neither side mounted a significant invasion of the other. Though one doing so would be more than enough provocation to go full-apocalypse.

Given resource scarcity, it's arguable that neither could have actually managed to get a full invasion force across the pacific and steadily supplied, let alone a full occupation.

Actually it seems to be the case that the US launched an invasion of the Yangtze region and had something to do with the Gobi desert. According to the fallout bible they were able to attack china after proper power armor was made viable, and there are little tidbits scattered around that refer to the Yangtze campaign, such as the Yangtze monument near Goodsprings and the writing on the Desert Ranger Combat armor. There's also the Gobi campaign scout rifle.

:goonsay:

Mr Butthole
Nov 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Raygereio posted:

It's on the list of best weapon in terms of damage, but I wouldn't recommend it as a main weapon. It has really low durabillity, so the thing will eat though repair kits and jurry rigged energy rifles like candy.

Again, Ropekid mod. :smugbert:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Get 50 Repair and get into the habit of picking up anything that is a repair kit ingredient and you will never be short on repair kits. You don't even have to do Dead Money.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

2house2fly posted:

(also, Lonesome Road/Dead Money ending spoilers how did "the battle at the Divide" become so legendary that some random super mutant in the middle of nowhere heard about it? It's just you and Ulysses alone in a room, pretty much. Eh whatever, it's cool enough to get a pass.).

Because It's you and Ulysses alone in a room while he chucks nuclear missiles at people. And even if you abort all of them there's still Courier's Mile. The Legion might not notice, but the NCR (specifically Vault City) definitely has the technology to pick up things like that. They wouldn't stop until they found out exactly what the hell was going on.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Just going though Novac and the REPCONN test site gives you enough material for like 20 repair kits.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

khwarezm posted:

Actually it seems to be the case that the US launched an invasion of the Yangtze region and had something to do with the Gobi desert. According to the fallout bible they were able to attack china after proper power armor was made viable, and there are little tidbits scattered around that refer to the Yangtze campaign, such as the Yangtze monument near Goodsprings and the writing on the Desert Ranger Combat armor. There's also the Gobi campaign scout rifle.

:goonsay:

Good call, I forgot about those.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is the Rope-kid mod the same as the Tom Sawyer mod?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Josh. Josh Sawyer. Josh Sawyer is the lead designer of Fallout: New Vegas. He is also a goon who goes by rope kid.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Josh. Josh Sawyer. Josh Sawyer is the lead designer of Fallout: New Vegas. He is also a goon who goes by rope kid.

I am a retard, and this is awesome! So, the lead developer made a mod for Fallout? That's rad as HELL!

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yes. Good. Now you are on the same page as the rest of the thread.

Raygereio posted:

The Ranger combat armor counts as a NCR disguise, so you can wear it without pissing of the ranger. In fact, the whole NCR should treat you as their buddy if you put it on.

If you meant how to get it without killing one of them:
Once your reputation with the NCR is liked or better, Colonel Hsu at McCarran should give you the key to a Ranger safe house. You can find one there.
Also you can find variation of the armor in Honest Hearts & Lonesome Road.

The riot gear and whatever the other one is called is the way to go for two reasons. First, the free set of black armor you can get from the NCR is beat the gently caress up. Second, the riot armors in HH and LR are not faction armor, so other groups wont shoot you just for wearing it.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Turtlicious posted:

wanna play this mod

Rex Deckard
Jul 15, 2004

Well there is a river. Just need a sidekick and the deathclaw prometory should be good enough as a threat.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

3Romeo posted:

wanna play this mod

Be careful, the mod gets high on you.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Count Chocula posted:

Isn't that what Skyrim was based on? Trees are pretty boring but with most of them dead what would be the difference from the current Fallout? I'd like to see a ruined New York and New Jersey (too soon, I know, but I mean in the Fallout universe).

If they do it right on the Cascade divide you could have a mix of Skyrim-ish sort of environments (although those are more Nordic but whatever) mixed with the colorful eastern environment like so:

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Well this sure is a thing that's happening. Sorry for Kotaku but it's the only article about it I could find: http://kotaku.com/5910738/lets-take-these-games-and-turn-them-into-dating-sims

Gonna seduce the poo poo outta vulpes

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!

Monicro posted:

Well this sure is a thing that's happening. Sorry for Kotaku but it's the only article about it I could find: http://kotaku.com/5910738/lets-take-these-games-and-turn-them-into-dating-sims

Pumped for this.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Monicro posted:

It's two concepts/things that I know exist but together they're something I only sort of recognize. Like looking down at my kneecaps after getting run over by a car.

Still sold if they swap out Vulpes' wolf shirt for a fox shirt. Linguistic accuracy, come on. :colbert:

Mushball
May 23, 2012
Why date Butch when you have the King instead? his band of cool cats walk all over the Tunnel Snakes any day.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Rex Deckard posted:

Well there is a river. Just need a sidekick and the deathclaw prometory should be good enough as a threat.

I'm torn between "Ghoul Jim" and "Robotron Jim"

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

None of that matters. All you'd get out of a Fallout dating sim would be a fade to black and the "Well Rested" perk.

a real peso shit
Jun 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 167 days!
I know you guys just LOVE talking about skyrim but I just played it for the first time and after putting more than a hundred hours into my current new vegas game I have to say I'm very unimpressed with Skyrim, the writing is very linear, the voice acting is AWFUL and the quests feel dumbed down. Am I just spoiled from new vegas or do people who normally like new vegas end up disliking skyrim?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
If what you liked in New Vegas was the writing, the quests, and the voice acting, then yeah Skyrim's going to be disappointing. You shouldn't really think of them as sharing much in common - New Vegas is an Obsidian game, and those are amazing because of the plots, stories, dialog, characters, quests, etc. Skyrim is a Bethesda game, and those are amazing because there are lots of things to explore.

I guess New Vegas has stuff to explore too but that just means it's a better game. Unless you're one of the people who found the Mojave kind of uninteresting as a setting when it came to just poking around.

a real peso shit
Jun 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 167 days!

TychoCelchuuu posted:

If what you liked in New Vegas was the writing, the quests, and the voice acting, then yeah Skyrim's going to be disappointing. You shouldn't really think of them as sharing much in common - New Vegas is an Obsidian game, and those are amazing because of the plots, stories, dialog, characters, quests, etc. Skyrim is a Bethesda game, and those are amazing because there are lots of things to explore.

I guess New Vegas has stuff to explore too but that just means it's a better game. Unless you're one of the people who found the Mojave kind of uninteresting as a setting when it came to just poking around.

I guess I could not help but compare them as they're both bethesda games. Should I still give Skyrim a chance?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
If you can get Skyrim for <20$, then yes, it is worth it.I notice you already bought it. If you are willing to wade through the thousands of horrible mods you can find some gems that try and give some soul to the game and can help your experience immensely.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I genuinely enjoy Skyrim but it's one of those games where you have to basically wander around and make your own little story up, because the cardboard NPCs sending you on fetch quests aren't going to do it for you.

New Vegas not only encourages choice but the game reacts to it, you don't have to make your own fun and pretend you're playing as a Legion saboteur because the game has a questline for that.

Skyrim does have prettier vistas though, I'll give them that.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

I guess I could not help but compare them as they're both bethesda games. Should I still give Skyrim a chance?
They're not both Bethesda games except in the sense that Bethesda published them, but that doesn't really make any difference. You could give Skyrim a chance but if you liked that stuff you mentioned from New Vegas, you won't find it in Skyrim.

a real peso shit
Jun 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 167 days!

Rynoto posted:

If you can get Skyrim for <20$, then yes, it is worth it.I notice you already bought it. If you are willing to wade through the thousands of horrible mods you can find some gems that try and give some soul to the game and can help your experience immensely.

I'm on a PS3.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

I know you guys just LOVE talking about skyrim but I just played it for the first time and after putting more than a hundred hours into my current new vegas game I have to say I'm very unimpressed with Skyrim, the writing is very linear, the voice acting is AWFUL and the quests feel dumbed down. Am I just spoiled from new vegas or do people who normally like new vegas end up disliking skyrim?

There are few things I'm willing to give Skyrim/Bethesda credit for, but the one thing they ace so often is building a narrative with the environment. Going through a Dwemer ruin to find a dead bandit tied to a rack over a fire, flame-resist and stamina potions on a table the Falmer were gathered around? They were clearly trying to torture him for as long as possible while keeping him conscious. Finding a corpse pinned to a wall with a trap, its arm grasping for a potion just out of reach? Tough luck, bro, I'll make use of that.

Other than that, yeah, Bethesda's been pretty consistently distilling their flaghship games' challenge and choice since forever.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Monicro posted:

Jesus Christ. This is a thing of beauty.

Who would even make this association? It's just too absurd. I love it.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Turtlicious posted:

What you say about the Courier's companions is what you say about Mojave society.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Turtlicious posted:

This is the funniest poo poo I've read all day.

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Does anyone have any tips on getting this game to run smoothly? It jumps between 20 and 60 fps all the time. I can run Skyrim maxed out but not this... for some odd reason.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

de_dust posted:

Does anyone have any tips on getting this game to run smoothly? It jumps between 20 and 60 fps all the time. I can run Skyrim maxed out but not this... for some odd reason.

Download and install the Fallout Stutter Remover. Run the game once, exit. Find the .ini file that the utility created and tweak the maximum and minimum FPS levels to something more tolerable (by default the FPS is capped at 30 FPS, which is a little too low.) I put it to 45 and it helps stabilize the framerate without the drawback of VSync. It also has the added effect of reducing "stutter zones": Areas in the game where the FPS drops sharply and for no discernible reason.

Magic
May 18, 2004

Your ass is on my platter, snapperhead!

Kalos posted:

There are few things I'm willing to give Skyrim/Bethesda credit for, but the one thing they ace so often is building a narrative with the environment. Going through a Dwemer ruin to find a dead bandit tied to a rack over a fire, flame-resist and stamina potions on a table the Falmer were gathered around? They were clearly trying to torture him for as long as possible while keeping him conscious. Finding a corpse pinned to a wall with a trap, its arm grasping for a potion just out of reach? Tough luck, bro, I'll make use of that.

Other than that, yeah, Bethesda's been pretty consistently distilling their flaghship games' challenge and choice since forever.
Details like that are great but I think that's more credit to the level designers than the guys at the top, clearly they're given time to add those details. One thing I loved in Skyrim was that every location seemed to specifically have its own miniature story which added to the exploration, as if the designers were told they had to come up with one for each.

There's the hunter's cabin in Skyrim which is actually a staging point for bandits for example. It's in contrast with places in Oblivion (which had generic ruins aplenty) and some parts (but certainly not all) of New Vegas. Not every location has to have a bristling mini-storyline and characters, it's fine to have eerily silent towers and underground ruins to build up atmosphere and tension, but there was definitely a good balance in Skyrim.

I'm curious about what the senior designers at Bethesda actually do because there never seems to be a massive creative spark for the main quest lines in their games. Daedric invasions in Oblivion, securing Project Purity and a civil war in Skyrim are all great concepts, but they never build up to anything like the battle for Hoover Dam. Instead they just seem to exist as a basic backdrop, not a driving force behind the game's setting.

For example, while characters in Skyrim talk about the civil war and it seems to have influenced their lives, there aren't many individual quests related to it and so it doesn't feel that there are major consequences to the world at large. Compare this with New Vegas where almost everything revolves around NCR, Vegas and the Legion and their pursuit of Hoover Dam and the Mojave.

I really need to write an article on this as I'm fascinated by how lacklustre parts of Bethesda's design is compared to Obsidian. I love Bethesda and their games, they're some of my most precious gaming memories but I always feel underwhelmed at times. They have some of the most fantastic, beautiful worlds ever created, with the right tech at the right time of each hardware generation yet the main quest lines descend into fetch and retrieve boredom. Throw in some minor plot revelations, have famous actors for the main roles then have a big climax (and an anti-climactic boss fight) with the game world changing slightly at the end. Done.

As for the Elder Scrolls Online ... yeah, I'm not exactly excited about it, but that's another topic entirely.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
My problem with Skyrim is that I just don't find the core combat mechanics fun. I decided to play a magic-user, which basically means "stand there spamming an elemental spell while occasionally dropping behind cover to heal, and never any other spell because they're all worthless". I wouldn't be surprised if the game was designed and tested around either sword and board or stealthy bowman builds.

Contrast that to NV where I picked Unarmed and got to be a goddamn juggernaut diving into groups of enemies and punching them in the face so hard that their limbs go flying in several directions. All the builds, while not completely balanced, are at least viable and - this is the important part - fun to use.

It's just a much more focused game than Skyrim. My friend also couldn't get into it, and even though he hated Fallout 3, when I got him NV he couldn't put it down. I wish Obsidian would do to TES what they did with Fallout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic
May 18, 2004

Your ass is on my platter, snapperhead!

miscellaneous14 posted:

My problem with Skyrim is that I just don't find the core combat mechanics fun. I decided to play a magic-user, which basically means "stand there spamming an elemental spell while occasionally dropping behind cover to heal, and never any other spell because they're all worthless". I wouldn't be surprised if the game was designed and tested around either sword and board or stealthy bowman builds.

Contrast that to NV where I picked Unarmed and got to be a goddamn juggernaut diving into groups of enemies and punching them in the face so hard that their limbs go flying in several directions. All the builds, while not completely balanced, are at least viable and - this is the important part - fun to use.
I always find mages in RPGs either difficult and a struggle to play as since, like you describe, they're made of glass and either take ages to build up to match the effectiveness of another class (Fighter\rogue) or they're ridiculously overpowered.

And, to be fair, the combat in the recent Fallout games leaves something to be desired - the AI in gun battles just does not use cover. Too often it descended into staring at each other and unloading clips at one another rather than strategically hiding behind boulders, throwing grenades or shooting limbs.

quote:

It's just a much more focused game than Skyrim. My friend also couldn't get into it, and even though he hated Fallout 3, when I got him NV he couldn't put it down. I wish Obsidian would do to TES what they did with Fallout.
Yet I read about people who LOVE Fallout 3 but hate New Vegas. Really strange. I guess some like exploring more than having a plot thrust upon them.

I'm curious if a game purely about exploring would be fun. Load up on supplies, navigate your way across terrain and name areas. It would be more like a travel sim than a game I suppose.