Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gilgamesh
Nov 26, 2001

Nitrousoxide posted:

Debt collection is the most soul sucking work I've experienced but goddamn if you don't get a bunch of hearing/trial experience.

But seriously everyone in this field who has been doing it for a while is a heartless bastard who will literally laugh at people in the absolute bottom of their lives.

I just applied for a job representing the state in child protective services. I imagine it's a similar soul sucking/trial experience ratio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Gilgamesh posted:

I just applied for a job representing the state in child protective services. I imagine it's a similar soul sucking/trial experience ratio.

More law students should encouraged to volunteer as CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocate). Volunteers act as a counterweights to the parents and the state by doing their best to represent only the interests of children involved in worst and most complex child abuse cases. They work just one or two cases at a time from start to finish. I don't want to think about how bad their turn-over rate must be.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Gobbeldygook posted:

More law students should encouraged to volunteer as CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocate). Volunteers act as a counterweights to the parents and the state by doing their best to represent only the interests of children involved in worst and most complex child abuse cases. They work just one or two cases at a time from start to finish. I don't want to think about how bad their turn-over rate must be.

They heavily encouraged this at my school and I actually got my wife (non-attorney) interested enough to do it. She lasted one case, and she is a pretty strong person. They told her it was pretty common to have people go through the training and then only do one or two.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
Yesterday I billed two hours researching if someone could ride their horse downtown to go pay a parking ticket. That is my lawyer story. Thanks for listening.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

TenementFunster posted:

Yesterday I billed two hours researching if someone could ride their horse downtown to go pay a parking ticket. That is my lawyer story. Thanks for listening.

Can they? I know in Ohio its a minor misdemeanor to allow your horse to mate with another while on a public street.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Athenry posted:

Can they? I know in Ohio its a minor misdemeanor to allow your horse to mate with another while on a public street.
I couldn't find any outright prohibition under state or city code, but good luck convincing John Law after you get pulled over on horseback.

Gilgamesh
Nov 26, 2001

TenementFunster posted:

I was looking that up for my state (Texas) and found that it's generally accepted as long as a municipality doesn't forbid it (except on highways). And then I found this;

"§ 342.203. Ferry Charge on Swimming Cow or Horse

The commissioners court may not authorize a charge of more than one cent for each cow or horse swimming the river at a location for which a license is issued to operate a ferry, including the use of a pen or boat necessary to control the animal."

Good to know I don't have to spend more than a couple cents to swim my livestock across a ferry route.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Gobbeldygook posted:

CASA, aka "bored housewives offering opinions about things they aren't qualified to give opinions on."

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Nitrousoxide posted:

Debt collection is the most soul sucking work I've experienced but goddamn if you don't get a bunch of hearing/trial experience.

But seriously everyone in this field who has been doing it for a while is a heartless bastard who will literally laugh at people in the absolute bottom of their lives.

You should try family law. I feel bad when I win for some of my cients.

The most heartless soul-sucking motherfuckers are insurance defense attorneys though. I don't know how they live with themselves.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

CaptainScraps posted:

You should try family law. I feel bad when I win for some of my cients.
I know gently caress all about family law, but thankfully limited experiences have led me to believe that human males are unfit to raise children generally. also child support should be an permanent, automatic garnishment

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Stunt Rock posted:

CASA, aka "bored housewives offering opinions about things they aren't qualified to give opinions on."

Every CASA I have ever dealt with was an obstructionist know-nothing piece of poo poo. No exceptions. (Sample size: 1)

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

nm posted:

Trial is much more marketable (those of use who do criminal are mostly appealing in civil because we have more jury trials in a year than they have in a lifetime). If you leave trial, be prepared to explain why.

So how does federal appellate work stack up in the grande scheme of things? I found a job opening and got some references for a position dealing with federal and state supreme court appellate work.

How do firms and government agencies view this sort of experience, as opposed to county and state appellate court experience? I imagine after a year or two I could shift to another department, but the idea of federal appeals sounds special enough to make me think it will look valuable on my resume.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Today in a depo I had a gentlemen lie in the following way:

Secretary of State lists him as president and director of XYZ Corp.
He signed a bankruptcy petition as "gentlemen as president of XYZ Corp".

Q: "Tell me about XYZ Corp."
A: "I've never heard of XYZ Corp."
Q: "Isn't this your signature?"
A: "yes"
Q: "And you've never heard of XYZ Corp?"
A: "nope"

Maybe I shouldn't be amazed that people lie but why pick such a blatant one?

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Roger_Mudd posted:

Juror's internal monologue: government conspiracy. This guy is getting screwed by The Man!

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Roger_Mudd posted:

Did you say "Do you always sign whatever is placed in front of your face?"

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Roger_Mudd posted:

I had an attorney deponent state, under oath, that a homeless person wandered into their office, forged his signature, and filed a defective pleading at issue.

gvibes fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 16, 2012

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

gvibes posted:

I had an attorney deponent state, under oath, that a homeless person wandered into their office, forged his signature, and filed a defective pleading at issue.

hahahahahahaha i love the mental image of the homeless dude walking into the office.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Agesilaus posted:

So how does federal appellate work stack up in the grande scheme of things? I found a job opening and got some references for a position dealing with federal and state supreme court appellate work.

How do firms and government agencies view this sort of experience, as opposed to county and state appellate court experience? I imagine after a year or two I could shift to another department, but the idea of federal appeals sounds special enough to make me think it will look valuable on my resume.

If you're doing quality Federal Circuit work that might be interesting, particularly if you're actually doing oral arguments.

Tetrix posted:

hahahahahahaha i love the mental image of the homeless dude walking into the office.
Back before I got assigned somewhere where all my clients were in-custody, homeless guys walked into out offices quite often. They didn't forge signatures though.

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009

CaptainScraps posted:

The most heartless soul-sucking motherfuckers are insurance defense attorneys though. I don't know how they live with themselves.

By screwing each other over as much as possible.

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

Agesilaus posted:

You should maybe just apply to places and see where you can get an offer before worrying about your next next job. I don't think you appreciate how hard it's going to be for you to just get your next job in this market.

quepasa18 posted:

Unless you don't care if you're fired, you might want to be careful how many people you tell about looking for another job. If it gets back to your current firm, they might fire you immediately.
Also, please follow quepasa18's advice. Just by way of example, I know where you work and I also know other people there. Now obviously I'm not going to say anything but it's a small world and all that and you should really be careful about this.

CaptainScraps posted:

I thank god every day that the insurance defense firm I interviewed with during OCI didn't give me an offer.

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

10-8 posted:

You should maybe just apply to places and see where you can get an offer before worrying about your next next job. I don't think you appreciate how hard it's going to be for you to just get your next job in this market.

Also, please follow quepasa18's advice. Just by way of example, I know where you work and I also know other people there. Now obviously I'm not going to say anything but it's a small world and all that and you should really be careful about this.

I thank god every day that the insurance defense firm I interviewed with during OCI didn't give me an offer.

I don't see how you can do a job search without looking at the bigger picture. If it didn't matter where I worked, and where I wanted my career to go, I would find a legal job far more easily.

I get the second paragraph, though. I don't tell people unless I'm looking for advice on the search or references/support, but my professional network consists almost entirely of people I work with (not that those people are necessarily in my office).

Agesilaus fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Nov 16, 2012

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Goonspeed to all July CA bar homies. What am I supposed to do at work today? Like when is it cool to leave early and drink...

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

sigmachiev posted:

Goonspeed to all July CA bar homies. What am I supposed to do at work today? Like when is it cool to leave early and drink...

Why leave? Just get a bottle of bourbon at lunch.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

evilweasel posted:

Why leave? Just get a bottle of bourbon at lunch.

Probably the only time for the next 1-2 years your employer will actually let you leave early. Might as well take advantage.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Yeeee Ling come to PB I'll buy you a drink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ9vIUmYIQQ

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

TenementFunster posted:

I know gently caress all about family law, but thankfully limited experiences have led me to believe that human males are unfit to raise children generally. also child support should be an permanent, automatic garnishment

Well when you're in court for a cs violation 99 percent of the time there is nothing to garnish. As to parental fitness, after being at Legal Aid for a while doing family law my conclusion is that nobody ever is fit to raise children, but whatever they'll probably be fine. Also gently caress DSS/CPS caseworkers and family court judges who don't know the rules of evidence. I'm gonna lose my drat mind if another police report gets let in without the officer to testify.

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Urgh I went into a morning call yesterday that went out until almost 5 o'clock, with the last six hours literally consisting of me standing in court handling multiple cases I had never seen before, actively examining witnesses and then arguing non-stop in court. With the proper amount of discretion, I could have reached a much better result in far less time; I think the worst thing a prosecution office can do is try to take away all discretion.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Agesilaus posted:

Urgh I went into a morning call yesterday that went out until almost 5 o'clock, with the last six hours literally consisting of me standing in court handling multiple cases I had never seen before, actively examining witnesses and then arguing non-stop in court. With the proper amount of discretion, I could have reached a much better result in far less time; I think the worst thing a prosecution office can do is try to take away all discretion.

Agreed and taking away discretion probably violates some ethics rules too.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

nm posted:

Agreed and taking away discretion probably violates some ethics rules too.

Mandatory minimums for everyone!

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Mandatory minimums for everyone!

Well, that's the legislature trying to take away the discretion, but in theory a prosecution office could add to the issue. The office could take away the trial prosecutor's ability to drop, reduce, or increase charges. The office policy could also mandate things like, every hearing/motion in a given case must always be done seperately rather than together at the same time. There are other examples I can think of, like making it policy that certain bargaining chips cannot be used (like agreeing to give back a defendant's driving privileges).

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

Agesilaus posted:

Well, that's the legislature trying to take away the discretion, but in theory a prosecution office could add to the issue. The office could take away the trial prosecutor's ability to drop, reduce, or increase charges. The office policy could also mandate things like, every hearing/motion in a given case must always be done seperately rather than together at the same time. There are other examples I can think of, like making it policy that certain bargaining chips cannot be used (like agreeing to give back a defendant's driving privileges).

One thing that comes to mind here is the Crown's position on offences against police officers. There was pressure from the police and as a result negotiating with them basic stuff is like pulling teeth.

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Zarkov Cortez posted:

One thing that comes to mind here is the Crown's position on offences against police officers. There was pressure from the police and as a result negotiating with them basic stuff is like pulling teeth.

Well, have things developed in a series of stages since that happened? I imagine it might have started with the legislature creating a mandatory minimum for resistings, then the trial prosecutors amending them to attempt resistings to avoid the minimums, then the office policy saying there isn't such a thing as attempt resisting, then the trial prosecutors amending it to disorderly conduct, then the departments and the office saying that DC isn't appropriate, then the judges finding people guilty of attempt resisting to avoid the minimum, then everyone arguing with the prosecutor stuck in the middle with zero discretion and a huge case load piling up. Is that what happens over there?

Glowing Red Sign
Oct 26, 2008
:smugdog: CA Bar passed smug smug smug :smugdog:

Oh, you mean I'm still just a law grad without real training, skills, or a permanent job? Crap.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Glowing Red Sign posted:

Oh, you mean I'm still just a law grad without real training, skills, or a permanent job? Crap.

I was wondering why the CA attorney search was down. Congrats.
I got my first full time, permanent (as opposed to temp positions) position almost exactly 2 years after I passed. Good luck!

Agesilaus posted:

Well, have things developed in a series of stages since that happened? I imagine it might have started with the legislature creating a mandatory minimum for resistings, then the trial prosecutors amending them to attempt resistings to avoid the minimums, then the office policy saying there isn't such a thing as attempt resisting, then the trial prosecutors amending it to disorderly conduct, then the departments and the office saying that DC isn't appropriate, then the judges finding people guilty of attempt resisting to avoid the minimum, then everyone arguing with the prosecutor stuck in the middle with zero discretion and a huge case load piling up. Is that what happens over there?
This has happened a few times with low blow or MJ DUIs when the DA's office gets some MADD pressure or trying to get money from MADD.
Suddenly they can't reduce a .07 DUI to a dry reckless. This makes for trials or continuances until the MADD poo poo does away.

nm fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 17, 2012

Glowing Red Sign
Oct 26, 2008

nm posted:

I got my first full time, permanent (as opposed to temp positions) position almost exactly 2 years after I passed. Good luck!

Thanks!

How did your employer consider those temp positions when hiring you? I've got some leads for temporary positions, but I don't know if anyone will think of those as actual work experience.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Glowing Red Sign posted:

Congrats bud was wondering where the other CA people were hiding.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Glowing Red Sign posted:

Thanks!

How did your employer consider those temp positions when hiring you? I've got some leads for temporary positions, but I don't know if anyone will think of those as actual work experience.

I'm a public defender and all my temp stuff was at PD offices, so it looked good (and is par for the course)

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

nm posted:

This has happened a few times with low blow or MJ DUIs when the DA's office gets some MADD pressure or trying to get money from MADD.
Suddenly they can't reduce a .07 DUI to a dry reckless. This makes for trials or continuances until the MADD poo poo does away.

I had a similar experience except in Florida. It took me a year with some temp jobs in the meantime to find a permanent job. And to be perfectly honest I'm one of the luckier ones. Many of my friends still don't have jobs.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

sigmachiev posted:

Congrats bud was wondering where the other CA people were hiding.
They are, only now, coming out from the haze of their celebration booze cruise. Congrats, you lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Green Crayons posted:

They are, only now, coming out from the haze of their celebration booze cruise. Congrats, you lot.

Pass list is public now. Some real surprises in terms of who passed/failed but I'm sure that's normal to experience.