Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Dragonrah posted:

Too bad that doesn't count. What's so special about this one anyway?

How does that not count? Pretty much all other major Kickstarters have taken Paypal donations on their own site and added it to their Kickstarter total when discussing stretch goals and such. (Project Eternity, Leisure Suit Larry, Project Fedora, Broken Sword, etc.)

Star Citizen just inverted it with their site being the "primary" focus of the campaign and Kickstarter being the "secondary".

macnbc fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

macnbc posted:

How does that not count? Pretty much all other major Kickstarters have taken Paypal donations on their own site and added it to their Kickstarter total when discussing stretch goals and such. (Project Eternity, Leisure Suit Larry, Project Fedora, Broken Sword, etc.)

Star Citizen just inverted it with their site being the "primary" focus of the campaign and Kickstarter being the "secondary".

The record mentioned is two different things.

Apples and oranges. They both count, I guess, if you're keeping track of stuff like that, just not when compared to each other. They're incorporated together when it comes to pledge gifts and stretch goals and whatnot, but you can't say someone broke a kickstarter record when they didn't, just as you can't say someone broke a crowdsourcing record, when they didn't.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 17, 2012

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Drifter posted:

They're incorporated together when it comes to pledge gifts and stretch goals and whatnot, but you can't say someone broke a kickstarter record when they didn't, just as you can't say someone broke a crowdsourcing record, when they didn't.

This is a pretty silly semantic argument. He never said anything about a Kickstarter record. Here is what he said:

macnbc posted:

In other news, Star Citizen just surpassed $4 million in total pledges. They still have a little over 2 days to go, so it's looking likely that they will beat Project Eternity's record.

Since he referred to 'total pledges' in the first part, not 'pledges on Kickstarter' it is safe to assume that it is the overall funding record in question. PE made $4,163,208, SC has $4,236,571 as of now. SC wins! :toot:

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Shalinor posted:

Does this count even for projects with a mobile port as a stretch goal?

On the one hand, I don't really kickstart pure mobile games, but, if FTL had had a mobile port stretch goal...

I don't really get porting to other platforms as a stretch goal. Like, maybe if Mobile is a stretch goal and I know for sure it'll be on iPhone and not Android AND I get a free copy in addition to my PC copy that would be an incentive to pledge/up my pledge but for the most part goals like that don't offer any incentive to increase my pledge. Like, I'm buying the PC game already basically, I don't care if it's on Mac or Linux or whatever.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

NmareBfly posted:

This is a pretty silly semantic argument. He never said anything about a Kickstarter record. Here is what he said:

Since he referred to 'total pledges' in the first part, not 'pledges on Kickstarter' it is safe to assume that it is the overall funding record in question. PE made $4,163,208, SC has $4,236,571 as of now. SC wins! :toot:
:catstare:

I was simply pointing out the shift in conversation as to why Dragonrah said it didn't count. The initial topic of conversation was regarding Kickstarter. All of the records being discussed have used the Kickstarter as their metric when talking about records prior.

Either way, it still seems to be two separate things, even though they've become disingeniously synonymous. I think Kickstarter as a metric people find useful for "records" because there is a definitive, public timeline regarding amounts of money raised, not to mention it was where these large crowdfunding this made a name for themselves. From a quick glance the website of Star Citizen it seems like they were taking money before they started a kickstarter program but their personal server wasn't enough to handle the stress of so many people pre-ordering/pledging and so they moved to a second solution through Kickstarter.

I'm not saying Star Citizen is an unworthy game or anything, I'm just saying why it seems to me many people find it easier and more intuitive to keep track of these things via the kickstarter numbers. But yes, it certainly seems that Star Citizen has raised the most money through crowdfunding.

Now, since Kickstarter has expanded out to do the whole Europe thing, does that make Paypal a no longer necessary viable complement (barring lower fees or whatever) or are there still significant inroads to be made in order to have everyone be able to pledge through Kickstarter?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

If anything a mobile port stretch goal is a big turn-off for me, it means they have to design the game around being usable for a touchpad interface.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

If anything a mobile port stretch goal is a big turn-off for me, it means they have to design the game around being usable for a touchpad interface.

Bastion has a mobile port.

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

ToxicFrog posted:

It's made by Chris Roberts, who is inexplicably remembered for the two brilliant games he made in the early 90s and not for the lengthy series of failures and disappointments that his career has consisted of since.

Just a few of Star Citizen's promises:

* 10X the detail of current AAA games
* Everything you would imagine would move or articulate on a spaceship or a device – does!
* Range of scale never seen before in a game

Ridiculous goals bundled with a loving awful website (if these guys can't even design a nice looking website...) and peppered with ripped-off quotes designed to evoke nostalgia ("That's no moon! It's a space station!") -- yea, cause Chris Roberts was responsible for Star Wars. Give me a loving break. I feel sorry for the people suckered in by Star Citizen.

I - LOVED - Wing Commander. I loving loved it. Freelancer was even a lot of fun. I think that Roberts is a pretty good salesman and has a good idea of what he wants. As a project manager/team leader, he's basically proven that he's not capable of getting the job done.

The difference between this and, say, Doublefine Adventure and Project Eternity, is that both of those teams have put out quality games in the past. I know that they can execute.

With Star Citizen, you get Chris Roberts and Roberts Space Industries (copyright Cloud Imperium Games Corporation). Sorry, but this page about their company doesn't exactly inspire me with confidence.

When I donate, I want to know that the people behind the project have the ability to deliver on their promises. They can demonstrate this either with working prototypes or past experiences. Roberts is just scamming everyone. He and his investor/movie producer pals see a way to generate some quick capital. They'll farm this poo poo out to India, deliver the bare minimum (there's no legally binding contract that says this game has to be good, or even that it has to do once percent of what was promised), and laugh all the way to the bank.

Nothing would make me happier than to be proven completely and utterly wrong. I love the poo poo out of space games.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Un-l337-Pork posted:

Sorry, but this page about their company doesn't exactly inspire me with confidence.

Dear god. They can muster up 4 million dollars in a fundraiser, but their website uses the "style" attribute, the markup is terrible, and let's not talk about the design. Couldn't they spend a thousand bucks on a decent website?
To be honest, though, a lot of super-rich Fortune 500 companies have terrible websites too. As a long time web dev, this enrages me.

However, the thing that turned me off the kickstarter is that it just seems too ambitious, and that focus on how awesome the graphics are, is just a herald of bad things to come.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

ToxicFrog posted:

It's made by Chris Roberts, who is inexplicably remembered for the two brilliant games he made in the early 90s and not for the lengthy series of failures and disappointments that his career has consisted of since.

Didn't stop Brian Fargo

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

miguelito posted:

- Are zombies in it?

The zombie genre suffers the "Minecraft clone syndrome" - too many of them but 99% are in development, forever in limbo, slapped onto something completely unfitting or never move beyond "but!! zombies". You wouldn't even need all fingers of one hand to count the good zombie games.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III
I wasn't trying to be a dick or start an arguement. I simply meant it wouldn't be a Kickstarter record. Either way, it's quite impressive.

Also, I guess I never realized why you all were talking about Roberts until after I posted. I'm glad to see this doing well and will certainly buy it once it comes out. (no money, currently)

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I just opened a $30 digital thing on Star Citizen, not sure it'll still be there when I finish posting this. Canceled my pledge because I decided I wanted to wait.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I won't put money towards anything that's more than a few months away because I have no idea what my free time situation will be when it comes out. A $20 discount or whatever isn't a big deal to me so I don't have much motivation to drop money on something that may or may not happen a year from now. I kind of like the tabletop game kickstarters better than the videogame ones because they're much more often in a state of "the game is already completely designed and tested but we need money for publishing".

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Un-l337-Pork posted:

When I donate, I want to know that the people behind the project have the ability to deliver on their promises. They can demonstrate this either with working prototypes or past experiences.

They have working prototypes. He showed off a working prototype to press at GDC Austin when they announced the game. The trailers they've produced are in-engine. They also put out a rough early AI demo video last week.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I pledged $30 because deep down, I really do want to support someone who's ridiculously ambitious. We don't see a lot of that these days, and it being a space sim to boot is the best possible combination.

Plus, he did make a real good presentation, which counts for a lot. I would never dream of pledging for Elite: Dangerous.

That said, when things sound too good to be true, they usually are. I fully expect the game to come out and be buggy/broken as poo poo, because these kinds of games always are. Regardless, though, it's a game that I want to see happen, so I might as well pledge the minimum amount.

Orikaeshigitae
Apr 28, 2006

never kiss a gun street girl again
Wow, thanks for your responses, guys!

It might be obvious, but I'm doing research in preparation for launching my own Kickstarter for some upcoming projects with Medium Difficulty. We've got a redesign in the works and it'll be a good opportunity for ~other announcements~ as well.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Pochoclo posted:

Dear god. They can muster up 4 million dollars in a fundraiser, but their website uses the "style" attribute, the markup is terrible, and let's not talk about the design. Couldn't they spend a thousand bucks on a decent website?
To be honest, though, a lot of super-rich Fortune 500 companies have terrible websites too. As a long time web dev, this enrages me.

Thing is, nobody gives a poo poo except we web developers. Not a one. I'm a web developer and I don't even give a poo poo about other site's markup/code unless it directly affects me. It's seriously not worth stressing over at all. You want to talk about something enraging, why the heck is the Star Citizen page so godawful slow? It's just got a subtle chop to it when scrolling and looking at things. Chrome Timeline seems to indicate some kind of animation is running but that's all I can find.

They also started at zero dollars. Having some assistant or friend just get something up there is more important than hiring someone to do it. Startups cut all kinds of corners that cost money, until they get some funding.

Hakkesshu posted:

I pledged $30 because deep down, I really do want to support someone who's ridiculously ambitious. We don't see a lot of that these days, and it being a space sim to boot is the best possible combination.
Yeah, I'm willing to risk $30 but he certainly is channeling Peter Molyneux in a huge way. I just hope someone even more invested in the game records everything he says and holds him to every single detail.

Obsurveyor fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 17, 2012

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

CrookedB posted:

Does a new RPG by Guido Henkel (Realms of Arkania) and Neal Hallford (Betrayal at Krondor) count? Because it should launch this Monday.

Not for me, no. I didn't like Realms of Arkania at all, and while Betrayal at Krondor was amazing (mostly because they had Feist doing the writing) its sequel and spinoff were both loving horrible.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee

Bieeardo posted:

Betrayal at Krondor was amazing (mostly because they had Feist doing the writing)

Actually, that's a common misconception, but in truth Feist didn't do any writing on Betrayal at Krondor. Neal Hallford did almost all the writing (and a lot of the design). I remember an old interview where he talked about that - just let me find it...

Okay, here it is:

quote:

Jonric: To most gamers, you're probably best known as the writer of the acclaimed Betrayal at Krondor, which is based on the Midkemia property created by the celebrated author, Raymond E. Feist. What was the extent of his participation and what kind of experience was it working with him?

Neal Hallford: There's a common misperception, especially among some of Ray's fans, that my job on Krondor was simply to take a game script from Ray and plug his words directly into the game. The reality of the situation was very, very different. With the exception of a handful of pre-existing characters or locations that we licensed from Ray and Midkemia Press, Betrayal at Krondor was conceived, written, and designed entirely in-house at Dynamix. Ray's contribution to the project was primarily editorial. We'd send him stuff that I'd bashed out, and he'd just let us know whether we were on target for the way his characters would talk or act. Beyond that, Ray was almost entirely focused on writing The King's Buccaneer, and he didn't even see much of the game itself until the 1993 CES in Los Vegas. The job that I shared with the rest of the development team was to make it sound and feel like Ray Feist had done it himself, and apparently we did such an excellent job at it that we unfortunately became invisible ourselves.

In the end I knew we'd got it right, because in 1998, Feist novelized the story that Lead Designer John Cutter and I had created for the game. You honestly don't get a much higher compliment on the quality of your work than to have it become both a best-selling computer game, and then nearly four years later, a novel on the New York Times best seller list.

I believe the sequel and spinoff were both horrible mainly because Hallford wasn't involved.

CrookedB fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 17, 2012

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I stand corrected! Thank you. Still wouldn't pledge to that KS, though.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Janissary Hop posted:

Didn't stop Brian Fargo
Bard's Tale was amazing, even if entirely unrelated to its spiritual predecessors, and apparently for intellectual property reasons rather than a decision to think outside the box.

Also InXile releases games regularly, and they work, even if they are also largely forgettable. Brian Fargo has never been away from the games industry. This comparison is absolutely wrong.

It is much more like the Elite Kickstarter.

Unrelated, CrookedB, that is amazing that Betrayal at Krondor had basically nothing to do with Feist. That does make me think this new project has a chance of being pretty awesome.

miguelito
Oct 5, 2012

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
(ask me about sexy shaving)

Orikaeshigitae posted:

Wow, thanks for your responses, guys!

It might be obvious, but I'm doing research in preparation for launching my own Kickstarter for some upcoming projects with Medium Difficulty. We've got a redesign in the works and it'll be a good opportunity for ~other announcements~ as well.

Well, umm, that honestly wasn't obvious to me.
I mean I do stand by my answer, but keep in mind this board is probably a very limited and specific sample of your usual KS demographic. I'm actually sure that all the negative points I listed are usually your best moneymakers on KS.

It depends on whether you want to be successful or a good guy.
Anyway, I suggest getting more samples from a wider audience.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Pochoclo posted:

However, the thing that turned me off the kickstarter is that it just seems too ambitious, and that focus on how awesome the graphics are, is just a herald of bad things to come.

It IS ambitious, but they also have some angel investors on standby who will contribute to the project based on its crowdfunding success. That was the original intent of the project, "Meet the goal and these guys will know that there's a market and fund the rest of the game." Considering how crazy successful the campaign has been, I imagine the game is actually going to get a pretty decent budget.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

miguelito posted:

Well, umm, that honestly wasn't obvious to me.
I mean I do stand by my answer, but keep in mind this board is probably a very limited and specific sample of your usual KS demographic. I'm actually sure that all the negative points I listed are usually your best moneymakers on KS.

It depends on whether you want to be successful or a good guy.
Anyway, I suggest getting more samples from a wider audience.

Yeah, a lot of your cons seem to have proved the road to cash cow status for various kickstarters. The Elite Kickstarter would have been laughed off the stage if it didn't have the nostalgia element, mind you the funding flow has slowed a bit so maybe people aren't falling as much for it now considering the lackluster content and updates.

This forum is good in that in clamps down on cash grabs my moderating thread creation for Kickstarters without mod approval, and generally casts a more critical eye on the claims of the project creators, but I doubt it's really representative of how a whole Kickstarter audience would receive a new project.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Orikaeshigitae posted:

Christ, that's some bad writing.

This writing annoyed me so much I pledged just so I could publicly call them a bunch of idiots :colbert:

himurak
Jun 13, 2003

Where was that save the world button again?
I just donated to Star Citizen which is my first time with crowdfunding. I'm not sure why do many people are surprised that a ton of goals aren't met or things don't even exist.

All legitimate donation companies (Red Cross, Cancer Centers, etc.) use at least 70% of the donation to just function and the sliver remaining to maybe get the money where it was intended to go.

There is little to no evidence that this would act any differently and would probably be more susceptible to fraud since regulation is laughable. I don't blame people for taking advantage of the situation, I blame the donors who want some guarantee that won't exist the way it's structured today. If you want a guarantee don't purchase the product before it exists wait until it's been produced. After all it's called a donation for a reason.

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!

CrookedB posted:

Now that they only have 6 days left, it's obvious that the Ars Magica Kickstarter won't make it - but the newly released combat UI screenshot sure looks good.

It certainly might have helped if they posted stuff like that sooner. I pledged, but only after having to figure out that it wasn't a tabletop game. The smallest pledge to actually get a copy of the game is $20, which didn't help either. It's like they recognized that they're a niche game, and then did everything possible to prevent it from being desirable to a wider audience. I even commented that they should restart with a lower initial pledge, because they just don't have enough small backers.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

particle409 posted:

It certainly might have helped if they posted stuff like that sooner. I pledged, but only after having to figure out that it wasn't a tabletop game. The smallest pledge to actually get a copy of the game is $20, which didn't help either. It's like they recognized that they're a niche game, and then did everything possible to prevent it from being desirable to a wider audience. I even commented that they should restart with a lower initial pledge, because they just don't have enough small backers.

I told them that on day one. Their communication guy didn't seem to grasp the point.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

80 minutes to go, $90.000 collected, the remaining $200.000 nowhere to be seen. Yeah, that Ars Magica KS failed rather badly. I'd think people would be all over it, but seems they screwed up badly from the comments above.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

himurak posted:

All legitimate donation companies (Red Cross, Cancer Centers, etc.) use at least 70% of the donation to just function and the sliver remaining to maybe get the money where it was intended to go.

What? That's not even close to true, most charities have an overhead of <40% and <25% is considered "ideal". 70% or more is a huge red flag that it's either a scam or badly mismanaged.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

himurak posted:

I'm not sure what your point is here or how it's supposed to be relevant to kick-starters but this is patently false. Most charities admin costs are far far lower than 70%. Red cross is I believe around 5%, Oxfam is 10% admin 7% fundraising. Good admin is important for a charity because it helps the money get to where it is needed but if any charity spends 70% on admin there is something very very wrong.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
Can someone explain Hero-U to me? Where is the actual in-game content? I see a single screenshot that looks like a decently-made flash game but even the video uses the exact same screenshot in several locations. Is there any gameplay video or even screenshots of any other locations? How on earth does this have over $300k attached to it? Concept art does not make a game.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Orzo posted:

Can someone explain Hero-U to me?

What you see is what they got. I'm surprised it's gotten as far as it has -- it might actually squeak by the goal with a minimum of effort. All that it really has going for it is the Quest for Glory nostalgia. Even Elite seems to be vaguely getting the idea that they actually need to show something, but if HeroU makes it then maybe that's not actually true!

If they had something people could invest in besides 'remember q4g?' I think they'd probably have blown past a million by now.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Megazver posted:

I told them that on day one. Their communication guy didn't seem to grasp the point.

Reading their stubborn refusal to grasp this in their responses over and over made it so that I didn't even bother to attempt to tell them. What was the point of telling them that from my price point was lower and their project goal was too ambitious for the name and for the amount of content they had shown? The response every time was basically, "we do not take feedback seriously unless you are a current backer at our specifications.".

I figured it was best to wait until the Kickstarter ended. I figured the only way they'd want to take critical feedback that prescribed hard changes for them would be if the Kickstarter was unsuccessful. I guess we'll see if they want my feedback, or they'd like to keep doing their own thing.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Catalina posted:

I guess we'll see if they want my feedback, or they'd like to keep doing their own thing.
Same here, I have written up a two pages opinion critique essay about why they failed, and just waiting to see if they want to listen to our feedback or not.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

9 days to go and only just hitting the half way mark.

Maia is going to need to do something amazing in the marketing department to end up being funded. On the plus side, he does say that it's happening regardless. Obviously it'll take longer / contain less, but it could be a stepping stone.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Shorter Than Some posted:

I'm not sure what your point is here or how it's supposed to be relevant to kick-starters but this is patently false. Most charities admin costs are far far lower than 70%. Red cross is I believe around 5%, Oxfam is 10% admin 7% fundraising. Good admin is important for a charity because it helps the money get to where it is needed but if any charity spends 70% on admin there is something very very wrong.

Maybe they're referencing that one charity Sean Hannity was working with that was essentially propping up his show and funding his travels across America.

And yeah, it was a bit obvious that very pointed question was a sort of informal survey. I didn't mind, because it meant I could possibly help a KS or two steer away from making a bad decision, and it might save my wallet for the next few months if my willpower gives out.

I certainly hope Hero-U starts pushing past the goal, because I might have to lower my pledge by about 20 bucks at least to make sure I don't end up with a negative amount in my bankaccount come next Tuesday.

Edit: vvvvv Nope. Having backed over 100 projects isn't enough, I have to hit that 1000 pledge sweetspot.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 18, 2012

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

evilmiera posted:

I certainly hope Hero-U starts pushing past the goal, because I might have to lower my pledge by about 20 bucks at least to make sure I don't end up with a negative amount in my bankaccount come next Tuesday.

Oh my god stop kickstartering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Mojo Jojo posted:

9 days to go and only just hitting the half way mark.

Maia is going to need to do something amazing in the marketing department to end up being funded. On the plus side, he does say that it's happening regardless. Obviously it'll take longer / contain less, but it could be a stepping stone.

I keep wondering what they could have done to publicise it better. On the face of it they had a good product and strong press coverage (or at least more than any indie dev has a right to expect).

The only thing I could think of is that the pitch didn't really give a sense of how the game would play. Maybe they needed to do more to sell the gameplay to a new audience; one that maybe hasn't played Dungeon Keeper.