Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Taliaquin posted:

Round 2 for me:

I'm afraid of flying but because I moved abroad I have to do it if I ever want to see my loved ones again, so every time the plane is either taking off or landing (The Scary Parts), I pretend I'm Talia al Ghul in that scene from Batman: Hush where Batman cuts a massive hole in the wall of her plane and she just sits there not giving a gently caress. I'm a 26 year old woman.

I don't see any problem with this at all. Whatever gets you through a scary moment and doesn't affect you or those around you negatively is a good thing. And it's doing less harm to your body than my aunts' method of coping with a flight; which is three Valium, two double vodkas and a roaring fight with my mother or myself when the hangover kicks in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump collector
May 28, 2007
I played Shattered Galaxy for five years

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I was a regular on the Gamefaqs forum for Oblivion, and I would check it all the time to give advice. I also read almost the entirety of uesp.net

But the most obvious/recent sperg was when I spent an hour talking to my girlfriend at the time about ants.

But to be fair, I have never turned down sex, and the time I was randomly asked if I want a blowjob I said "yes". :smug:

I am still a huge Gundam fan and I build Gundam models though :negative:

God Damn Dam God
Dec 24, 2004

I push buttons. I turn dials. I read numbers. Sometimes I make up little stories in my head about what the numbers mean.
Grimey Drawer
Between Steam, Good Old Games, and Origin I own over 400 computer games. I don't think I've played more than 50 of them.

Amber Alert
Aug 28, 2009

fuk cyka

Could have measured my WoW playtime, across multiple accounts (that I played simultaneously) in months instead of days or weeks.

Edit: and that was merely a continuation of my MMO addiction. I'm mostly recovered though... mostly.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

About 2ish years ago I spent a lot of time vividly daydreaming about building a zombieproof fortress in case there was ever a big catastrophic event. I had the building picked out, it was a small, swanky office building perched on a peninsula of a lake that I drove by every day. I dreamt about kitting it out with fences, barriers, guns, generators, CCTV, food and water storage, you name it. I researched some of it, trying to nail down if it was feasible for a single person to really build such a fortress if civilization was crumbling.

It's kinda cool, I guess :downs:

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Nasgate posted:

I was a regular on the Gamefaqs forum for Oblivion, and I would check it all the time to give advice. I also read almost the entirety of uesp.net

I spend more time than I really should browsing UESP.net when I've got nothing else to do at work.

Doodles McIdiot
Nov 12, 2012
When I was 9 or 10 I wrote Star Trek fan fiction. Which isn't terribly outlandish as far as nerdy stories go, but I think this may have been my first real creative activity as a kid which is sorta sad. Of course, it featured the MOST POWERFUL STARSHIP and a dumb wunderkind self-insert. Thanks to merciful providence all evidence is long gone and lost forever.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!
While fighting a boss in Borderlands 2, me and a friend argued for the better part of an hour if an A-Wing from Star Wars could go into space.

He was right. :negative:

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Around 8-10 years old I wrote Jurassic Park fan fiction and it would always involve my hamsters helping out. Too bad I never found any Jurassic Park message boards on AOL or I would have posted it on them. Later on I would troll game console message boards and get so worked up I would forget I'm trolling and get trolled by the other trolls on the message boards.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Nov 19, 2012

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Some of these :spergin: stories need to be MSPainted.

I'm getting a real kick out of the idea of a little girl coddling an infant Boba Fett, or the one where the dude rides off into the sunset after spurning a girl to go play chess.

persona au gratin
Feb 26, 2003

the cure for yellow fever.

The Droid posted:

I once called someone a philistine for mistaking Soundwave for Optimus Prime. :(

From your custom title, it looks like you have chapters for this thread yet to write.

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

I got a bunch of coworkers back into Magic: the Gathering and each one said the same thing: "I used to play, but I quit in high school because it was too nerdy." It made me kind of sad, because they obviously love the game. We stay late a few nights a week and play. Some of them have even started going to small tournaments. I haven't stopped playing since junior high, but for a few years it did feel like my dirty little secret.

Fortunately for all of us, we became adults and realized there's nothing intrinsically bad about playing a game we think is fun. Nothing mentioned in this thread is intrinsically wrong, and a lot of the less healthy stuff seems to have resulted in a good learning experience. Honestly, a lot of the more :spergin: projects you guys brought up seem legit fascinating.

You can be a huge nerd and still be a perfectly functioning member of society. I still play a ton of competitive Magic, stream myself playing games, post on these very forums, and still maintain employment. In fact, later today my company is flying me all around Asia for a two week-long business trip. Well, technically the trip doesn't start for another week, but I booked an earlier flight so I could play in GP Taipei this weekend. With my wife. Who I met at a Magic tournament. Who plays Magic professionally.

Edit: To contribute embarrassing content, I used to draw shoe advertisements, made several versions of a bad Magic knockoff, and wrote a ton of bad, boring fantasy when I was a kid. At one point I had like 15 white notepads filled with what I can only describe as a slideshow of a made up video game. Featuring the Sun and Moon bosses from Kirby. My own bad fiction is probably what made me so interested in contributing to Horrors 2 and led me to start a project I barely ran with.

rinski fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Nov 19, 2012

LtAldoRaine
Oct 4, 2012

AlphaDog posted:

I still remember all of the plotline, most of the locations, and some of the dialogue in Star Control 2. I mean, I remember almost all of where to go and when, and I can quote lines from some of the characters. From a videogame released in 1992. I'm not obsessed with the game or anything, I was just really into it when I was 15.

Oh man, did I love the poo poo of that game. A buddy and I played it through a couple times, just huddled around his crappy PC and laughing our asses off at all the great dialogue and storyline.

LtAldoRaine
Oct 4, 2012

Pick posted:

From the ages of 14 to 20, I wrote a million(+) word fantasy novel. It drove a lot of my interest in artwork and writing during that time, even though no one ever read it or looked at the artwork I did for it. I realize why people weren't interested in hearing about it--hell, I wouldn't have been, and it was pretty stupid because drat, 14-year-olds are poo poo writers--but it basically drove me from ever pursuing a creative field. You can't expect other people to care about you or the things you do :toot:.

I still think about those characters quite a bit, though. :spergin:

Post it! ...Actually, a million words is a godawful amount. Post a summary!

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

rinski posted:

Fortunately for all of us, we became adults and realized there's nothing intrinsically bad about playing a game we think is fun.

Truth. Getting high/drunk and drafting is one of my favorite joys in life.

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Truth. Getting high/drunk and drafting is one of my favorite joys in life.

:cheers:

And if you streamed that, I would watch.

Propayne
Mar 21, 2005
Yeah > Whatever
I was ranked 3rd in the world at the Pokemon TCG from about 2000-2001 and since then I've played Magic. :negative:

cactuscarpet
Sep 12, 2011

I don't even know what rasta means.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

When I was 15 I managed to get this attractive girl into my room, sitting on my bed, without once thinking I had a chance to bed her. (Hope that doesn't sound creepy, I defiantly had a shot) I spent a few minutes showing off my computer and gundam model collection, than left.

Hindsight me will never forgive teenage me.

I think this is just incredibly cute.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

I played Eve online.

Umbilical Lotus
Nov 13, 2005

OH NO!!!! AXE CUT YOU!!!!

Nasgate posted:

But the most obvious/recent sperg was when I spent an hour talking to my girlfriend at the time about ants.

Ants are awesome! There's a lot of interesting facts that the world just needs to know. I sperg out about eusocial critters far too often. And if that weren't bad enough, my biological obsession seems to have settled on rodents, to the point where I will gabble on about rats to whoever casually mentions them. One of my pipe dreams is to one day have a capybara I can cart around as my giant rodent buddy. Their larger size means longer vocal cords, which means I can hear their constant rodent chatter! :3:

Edit: And a baluchistan pygmy jerboa. And just so many rats.

Umbilical Lotus fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Nov 19, 2012

Bulldog
Oct 14, 2012
-- I watched Top Gun every day as often as I was awake for a solid week. Why? My friend said he watched it 32 times. Well, I showed him!

-- Played many different kinds of role playing games in high school. Even going as far as mounting a rebellion against the long standing D&D club and creating my own because of their lack of variety in games.

-- Once cheated in the character creation of a character in the TMNT RPG. The best character you could have is a wolverine and he had optimal stats. I wanted to be uber leet.

-- When we were kids, my friends and I dreamt about how we would make it with Princess Leia.

Earl of Lavender
Jul 29, 2007

This is not my beautiful house!!

This is not my beautiful wife!!!
Pillbug
I have a Rainbow Dash tattoo.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

AlphaDog posted:

I still remember all of the plotline, most of the locations, and some of the dialogue in Star Control 2. I mean, I remember almost all of where to go and when, and I can quote lines from some of the characters. From a videogame released in 1992. I'm not obsessed with the game or anything, I was just really into it when I was 15.

This is me, except with Final Fantasy 9. It was the only game I had when I was a kid and I played it a lot. I even printed out a goddamn strategy guide from gamefaqs and read through as I played to get an optimal save.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

DicktheCat posted:

I still call my brother Guts on occasion.

Is your name Griffith? :haw:

...it's me, I'm the sperg. :smith:

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

When I was in school I was put into isolation for 8 hours for punching another kid in the face (I don't know why and nor do I want to. All I remember is that I was :smugbert: afterwards, I was such a douche).
I spend the whole loving day drawing Pokémon which was the spergiest thing I could've done in the situation, the whole loving 8 hours was spent drawing every Pokémon having happy and fun adventures, especially because I was know as the "fag who beat up a kid and drew Pokémon for the entirety of the following day" for a good month or two. I'm glad it wasn't one of those days where I brought in my bloody GBC because that would've been horrible.

There was this other time where I went to a lovely hotel in Spain, with huge pools and beautiful palm trees everywhere. I smuggled in my N64 without my mum knowing and all I did at night was play Lylat Wars, until I eventually didn't even go outside and just played Super Smash Bros. against the CPU.

What the gently caress is wrong with me.

Widdiful fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 19, 2012

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Jesus loving christ I can barely remember anything from high school or my first few years of college- I've repressed most of it I think. Whenever I do remember anything, it's usually something that makes me want to just kill myself. Goddamn untreated depression :argh:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
In middle school, for Halloween, I dressed up as Simon Belmont from Castlevania.

During High School, I dressed up as Obi-Wan Kenobi to the midnight showing up Star Wars Episode II. I had my very first kiss while watching that (awful and totally anti-romantic) movie.

Once during College, I turned down sex with a fairly hot RA so I could go do Dynamis in FFXI. I think I probably had about 180 days logged on that game. I have also beaten every main series Final Fantasy game sans FFIII NES\DS, FFXII, FFXIII and FFXIV.

Once my girlfriend during college sent me an IM about how aroused she was after working out at the gym and wanted me to come over, but I was too busy playing Mario Kart with a friend. She wasn't my girlfriend much longer.

During college, I started programming my very own Mega Man fan game, but never finished it because it's a fuckton of work: http://www.seatonweb.com/mmr/

I used to play in Street Fighter tournaments.

I have an entire large bookshelf devoted solely to Batman.

I have a near encyclopedic knowledge of Transformers and I have huge collection of little plastic robots.

Right now, I work in IT.

I am the Sperg king.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK
in the mid to late 90's I played Terris, an RPG text based MUD with no real point. I played for probably 2 years. Sadly, I was a guild master, which means I spent time and effort trying to be elected to an office in a make believe game.

During the first WOW expansion I knew way more about the mechanics of the Warlock class than any one should; enough so that I wrote a couple of guides for a website dedicated mostly to warlocks. To be fair, I was not a poop socker, just had a lot of free time at work. I was actually a pretty casual player in an all adult casual raiding guild.

ETA: I met my wife in a chat room dedicated to Movie Quotes.

Oswald Kesselpot fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 19, 2012

night_chrono
Dec 10, 2008

Propayne posted:

I was ranked 3rd in the world at the Pokemon TCG from about 2000-2001 and since then I've played Magic. :negative:

Is your name Chris by chance? There was a guy in my local league who was top 5 in give or take that time frame. I was early teens and I last saw him in his senior year of high school. I always wondered what happened to him.

Plus this remind me of all my pokemon sperging.

I carry the wrapper to the first pack of TCG cards I ever bought with me 24/7. It NEVER leaves my side. Totally got a Charizard from it.

I had 999 hours on my Pokemon Ruby. Got all 386 Pokemon on it legitimately, which involved multiple trips to Pokemon Center NYC, and any and all mall tours. Not to mention logging several hundred hours in Fire Red, Leaf Green, Emerald, Pokemon Colosseum, and Pokemon XD. I had my best friend at the time do the same along with me.

I had my 100% legit competitive teams. I had give or take 30 pokemon level 100, EV trained, 31 IV's in every stat, and earned all their held items in the battle tower/pokemon colosseum by doing battles over and over for enough coupons.

For years 12-15 or so I woke up every Saturday at 7 am, got picked up by aforementioned best friend, went to the local Pokemon TCG league till around 1 pm. Then I would go to his house and spend the night playing Pokemon the entire time till I would go home around 6 or 7 pm on Sunday. This is when I logged the 999 hours on my Ruby.

During the big power outage that affected the entire North East United States I was at his house playing pokemon colosseum with the gamecube and tv hooked up to a generator.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I turned down a possibly cool road trip with my brother so I can record Robotech on Cartoon Network and watch them.

EDIT: Oh god I just remembered that when I was in Webmasters in high school in my freshman year (pretty much a club that ran the school's website, bad idea to give power to young kids), I put an animated gif of Vegeta firing a fireball at the school's logo on the bottom of the webpage.

I am now laughing as I can imagine parents reading the girl's volleyball schedule and then a large animated image of a DragonBall Z character blowing up the school's logo.

Ringo Star Get fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 19, 2012

Mach5
Aug 1, 2004

Shatfaced!
Back in the early 80's, I used to design video games. And when I mean, 'design video games', I mean that I would get some paper, various colored pens, draw some stuff on them and send an overstuffed envelope to Atari. I would usually get a nice 'thank you' a few weeks later, so I thought they really liked my stuff! (Basically, I was adding more mazes to Pac-Man and loads of SUPER TERRIBLE GIANT MUTANT LANDERS to add to the legacy of the Defender and Stargate: Defender games). The only reason I really remember this is that I had this one idea for a game where you had to fly in your spaceship, dock on an enemy ship, then go inside and rescue someone or plant a bomb. I also added in 'I think colored vector graphics would be really cool' in there as well.

Cue to a couple of years later, and what do I see? Well, I can't prove it at all, but I think I might've been responsible for 'Major Havoc'. I am so sorry.

Mach5 fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 19, 2012

JoltSpree
Jul 19, 2012

I've gotten all supports in Fire Emblem legitimately. I forget how many play-throughs I had to go through to get them all, I just remember it took me a long-rear end time. During the course of all those playthroughs I determined that:

a. The game is still awesome.
b. Raven will never, ever turn out badly. He is mediocre at the very worst.
c. The raw data lies about Serra's magic growth.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta
In third grade I was pulled out of class every Wednesday to go to a "gifted" program at another school. We spent a lot of time studying art and going to local museums. At one point we were asked to research an artist of our choice and then find a piece by them at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts. I had researched M.C. Escher, but the MFA does not have any art by Escher. The museum guide recommended that I go look at the Jackson Pollock paintings instead, and I had a meltdown that involved me yelling at the guide because didn't he understand?! Pollock was an American abstract expressionist who had absolutely nothing in common with Escher!

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

demozthenes posted:

In third grade I was pulled out of class every Wednesday to go to a "gifted" program at another school. We spent a lot of time studying art and going to local museums. At one point we were asked to research an artist of our choice and then find a piece by them at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts. I had researched M.C. Escher, but the MFA does not have any art by Escher. The museum guide recommended that I go look at the Jackson Pollock paintings instead, and I had a meltdown that involved me yelling at the guide because didn't he understand?! Pollock was an American abstract expressionist who had absolutely nothing in common with Escher!
This sounds pretty reasonable to me.

I was also in the gifted program but got kicked out for saying a 13 year old girl dressed like a slut. To be fair what got you into the "gifted" program in those days would get you an aspergers diagnosis these days. :shobon:

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

When I was younger, my grandfather would occasionally offer to babysit me and my sister at his house while my parents went out. During one of these instances (and owing to him owning a computer and internet, two things I lacked at home) I went to Gamefaqs and started reading a walk-through to The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time as a fun way of passing time. When I realized I wasn't going to make it through the whole thing in one sitting, I printed out all 127 pages of the guide and took it home with me.

I guess when you leave your N64 at home, playing video games in your imagination is the next best thing. :psyduck:

Reverse Arab
Feb 14, 2010
Back when Yugioh was big, I beat on 12 year olds at my local game store. Playing Yugioh at 23 still doesn't seem that bad - my friends played, so why not? I guess I get now that it was a bit weird, but whatever. The only part I feel bad about is a yelling match I got in with a kid's dad after one match. It was half my fault for taunting the fucker, but if your kid is going to cry after getting his poo poo beat, he deserves what he gets. No regrets.

I guess my real confession is I still have my cards organized by edition in a half-dozen binders. If I get a chance to add to my collection, I'll still always jump on it. It's my hobby, there's nothing that embarrassing about it.

Boozlebub
Dec 8, 2011
Here's just a few bits of my shame.

-When I was around 12, I wrote a lovely little story where the protagonist went to clean up the streets. The antagonists were the McFunkyHappyMeal Gang. Yeah, Ronald McDonald was a drug lord, The Grimace was his bruiser right hand man and enforcer, the Hamburglar was the assassin, Mayor McCheese was the numbers guy...

-ALSO around that age, I had a HUGE obsession with Twin Peaks. Well, I still love it, but not quite to the sperglord levels. My Christmas present that year was a dictaphone, and I always had my hair more slicked back sort of Agent Coopery... If it wasn't for my gross inability to dress myself even remotely well. Still love it, and got the Gold Box set.

-I still love pen and paper roleplay. I personally don't see anything bad about this, really. I enjoy running them, playing in them, and general nerdery involved.

-I was horribly shy in high school, and I pretty much as smooth as a gravel road with extra broken glass. I DID get a little better when I hit 21, and got my first bj while the the Dragon Ball Z movie "The Tree of Life" was playing. I think that's about the most shameful.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
I am :spergin: all the time. But here's something I did last week.

Just before an office meeting, chatting with my (mostly +40 years old) co-workers, I said "So this guy says to me that tenure is the 'real' problem with education, and I practically went super saiyan." I realized what I did as soon as it came out of my mouth, and I smoothly added "which is a word for 'very angry,'" and continued talking as if it was entirely normal.

Really though, there's no mixture of anger, insult, and smug quite like :ssj:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

Gammatron 64 posted:

I have a near encyclopedic knowledge of Transformers and I have huge collection of little plastic robots.

I also have a Transformers collection. My Autobots are separated from my Decepticons. All of my friends are aware of this.

On the opposite wall I have a shelf filled with empties of my favorite craft beers. Just last Thursday I gave a fifteen minute presentation on the organization of the US brewing industry, focusing on microbrews and my favorite brewery, Founders.

In 7th and 8th grade I did nothing but play Dungeons and Dragons. I would lug around the DM Guide and Monster Manual to each class and read them whenever I had spare time. Every lunch period I would get a group together to play in the library. Eventually I started playing on the busride home with one of my buddies (we had over an hour-long commute to and from school), and we ended up playing a pen and paper game that I made myself. I would usually just pull scenarios out of my rear end instead of actually GMing.

Freshman year of high school I frequented GameFAQs, and someone ended up writing Metal Gear parodies on the Snake Eater board. Mods moved him to the MGS3 social board, and his fanbase followed. A number of copycat stories started up, and parodies got banned from the social board, so we all left GameFAQs in a huff and went over to a Proboards forum. We all continued to write what were essentially MGS fanfics until we started writing fanfiction about our internet personas. It got weird. Nice group of guys, though. Still keep in contact with some of them over Facebook.

I used to be a walking encyclopedia for Pokemon knowledge before Gen III hit. I knew every Pokemon's learnset (including what moves they learned at what level), when and how they evolved, their locations, and most every trainer's team in every game. Now there are too many things to memorize. I'm still into competitive Pokemon, though. Training a new team right now of mons I've never used. They're all named after Dark Souls characters.

Speaking of Dark Souls, I would rather stay at home alone and drink while playing that instead of going out or having a party.

The Halogens fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 19, 2012

• Locked thread