Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Digital_Jesus posted:

Don't see why not. Should be fine.

I don't think you even need to purchase a smoker box. Just make a pouch out of foil and stab a couple of holes in the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
as promised.. the chicken turned out amazing. I could stand to seal up some air gaps with the unit though, but over all I am super happy with the results.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax
So if you put the top cooking grate of the WSM on the leg bolts, it makes a pretty serviceable grill. The lid is the same diameter as the bottom section, so you have to balance it on top, but it seals tightly enough to put out the coals when you are done.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
Just put a picnic shoulder and a brisket in the WSM for tonight. Shoulder is about 9lbs (bone in) and the brisket is like 5.

I still can't find anywhere that sells whole brisket anymore. Even the butcher shops around here are selling it trimmed, so all you get is the flat.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
Made brisket and shoulder yesterday. Shoulda pulled the brisket a little bit sooner as it was leaning towards dry, but it was loving good.

Brisket:

Shoulder

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
I still haven't tried to do brisket. After Thanksgiving I'm going to have to give it a try, that looks delicious!

I smoked another practice turkey today (again using this recipe with a different rub). Juicy as ever, but it still seemed kind of bland (even though I tried to kick it up a bit more this time) and nobody was a huge fan of the gravy (I made both the thick and thin versions). I think I'm going to scrap it and try one more practice run with something different before Thanksgiving. So:

Anyone have a favorite smoked turkey recipe?

And on a related note, I'm thinking of doing duck, too. Anyone have a favorite smoked duck recipe?

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger
Has anyone ever tried smoking a beef cross rib roast? It has that thick line of gummy cartilage running through the middle of it, but i'm worried about the lack of fat and the 2 pound size of it. I'd posted my adventures with 3 or 4 pound Boston butts earlier in the thread, so I'm very leery of smoking small pieces of meat because they almost always dry out for me.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

WaterIsPoison posted:

I have an electric Weber grill (Weber Q series and not out of choice but of necessity) and I'm wondering if I can purchase a smoker box and just place it directly on my heating element. Will this work or am I pretty much poo poo out of luck?

I have the bigger gas Q series (Q300) and I've stuck an a-maze-n pellet smoker on there a few times to good effect. Alder pellets plus salmon fillets rock.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Ok, here is an update from my very first smoking experience. I got some big 'ol turkey legs on the cheap so decided to give it whirl.

I made a brine for my first time as well. Mixed up ton of salt, sugar, onion powder, garlic powder, and added the remaining homemade chili powder I had in the pantry (about 2TBS). Added my legs and refrigerated over night.

Next morning I took them out, rinsed them off and gave them a good rub down with olive oil and cajun seasoning (extra care to get it under the skin).

My super ghetto electric grill smoking setup. In hindsight, the cast iron smoking box was a mistake because it was too much of a thermal heatsink for my heating element. To produce a good smoke I had to turn the heat up higher than I would have liked. Next time I'll probably just use foil. :doh:

Couple hours in and they are looking mighty fine.

After they were done I cranked up the grill and cooked a bunch of veggies and potatoes in foil right on it.

All in all, a good learning experience. Definitely had to keep an eye on the heat and goose it. The legs also turned out a bit dryer than I would have liked, mostly because I didn't time the smoking period correctly. Still, they were quite tasty.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Mach420 posted:

Has anyone ever tried smoking a beef cross rib roast? It has that thick line of gummy cartilage running through the middle of it, but i'm worried about the lack of fat and the 2 pound size of it. I'd posted my adventures with 3 or 4 pound Boston butts earlier in the thread, so I'm very leery of smoking small pieces of meat because they almost always dry out for me.

Those are generally best braised, not smoked or roasted in a dry heat.

I've got a boat load of grass fed spare ribs that'll be going on the smoker Friday morning. Is it worth throwing some beans on the smoker or are they best done in the oven?

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

qutius posted:

Thanks, I usually use those for stews, but I figured it was worth a question.

rigeek
Jun 12, 2006

qutius posted:

I've got a boat load of grass fed spare ribs that'll be going on the smoker Friday morning. Is it worth throwing some beans on the smoker or are they best done in the oven?

Smoke those beans.

Throw in some meat trimmings if you have any, or maybe some bacon on top. Throw the beans in a foil pan or crock, and toss em on the pit.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Smoked beans kick rear end. Do use a foil pan though. I used my stainless steel pot and it had a loverly tan patina after being smoked for a few hours. It did buff out but it wasn't worth the extra work.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

rigeek posted:

Smoke those beans.

Throw in some meat trimmings if you have any, or maybe some bacon on top. Throw the beans in a foil pan or crock, and toss em on the pit.

Bacon is OK but try to find a strip of fatback. You can thank me later.

rigeek
Jun 12, 2006
I only use bacon if I have nothing else. Usually I smoke the beans in my WSM, on the bottom shelf, under whatever meat I'm smoking... so the fat drippings from the pork shoulder, brisket, ribs or whatever drips directly onto the beans... between that and the smoke, the beans are hard to beat.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Choadmaster posted:

Anyone have a favorite smoked turkey recipe?

My brother in law used his super secret squirrel rub, but we smoked a turkey like beer can chicken on a can of Foster's using apple wood chunks. Turned out great.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax
Does anybody have a favorite recipe for stuffed pork loins? I'm doing ribs again this weekend, and then something for Thanksgiving, but pork loins are next on the list.

I see a lot of the recipes online involve a bacon weave, but I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Ron Jeremy posted:

My brother in law used his super secret squirrel rub, but we smoked a turkey like beer can chicken on a can of Foster's using apple wood chunks. Turned out great.

Heh... Tomorrow night I plan on trying the same injection and rub my friend and I have been using for years in our deep-fried turkeys. That's always been tasty so hopefully it is just as good in the smoker.

Tonight I'm trying smoked duck. I marinated half of it with a hoisin marinade and rubbed the other half with a mix of salt, pepper, brown sugar, five spice, ginger, sesame oil, and maple syrup. Hopefully at least one half tastes good! I'm thinking of doing one more practice duck on Monday and I might try brining that one, and then using whichever rub/marinade works best tonight.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Duck came out interesting. I've never made duck before... It was a surprise just how fatty it is and just how little meat is on a duck. Barely any! I was planning on making a couple for thanksgiving (in addition to turkey) and I'm definitely going to have to use them as hors d'oeuvres rather than include them in the main meal.

I smoked it at 250° and then moved it into the oven at 400 for a while. I should have pulled it out of the smoker earlier and put it in the oven longer (maybe at 350 and then 500 near the end) because not much fat rendered out in the smoker (not hot enough I guess). The duck was very fatty and the skin wasn't crispy. But on the plus side it was still tasty (the rub I made beat out the hoisin sauce) and I have lots of duck fat to do interesting things with...

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

I did duck just last week; I stuck to the legs, though.

What I found works best is if you smoke them at 250 until they hit ~165 or so, then pull them. A decent amount of fat will have rendered, but not all of it. Put some duck fat in a pan on medium heat, and put the legs in the fat, skin side down, as soon as it melts (before the pan is hot). If you are doing this immediately after smoking, you can serve them as soon as the skin is crispy. If they cooled off a bit between the smoker and the pan, you can turn the oven broiler on, flip them and finish them under it.

My preference is to break down the duck for smoking. The breast are so great med-rare that they need to be pulled relatively early on if you want to crisp the skin. I usually just end up searing them or using them for prosciutto.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Already found a new (used) large big green egg to replace Humpty Dumpty. 500 bucks! Picked it up from a dealer who was selling his store's demo unit. Totally made my week!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

$500 for a demo large BGE? Wow I am jealous.

Giving brisket a try today. 8lb using the Franklin method. We'll see how it compares, probably won't be close. I like my pulled pork and my ribs but am more nervous about this than other smokes

Monocle
Jun 23, 2006
Indubitably my good chap...
i loved me some smokey meat

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast
So last week, after lurking this thread for quite some time, I decided to buy a Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker. Yesterday, I broke the bad boy out and decided to have a go with an 8lb pork shoulder. I marinaded the pork for roughly 2 days before smoking. As far as I can tell, this really didn't come through much with the flavor. What really came through was the combination of hickory and applewood I used. I put the shoulder on at about 9AM and let the waiting game begin. A football-filled Sunday is a perfect day to smoke as you stay distracted most of the day and there isn't that overwhelming feeling of just waiting around. The cook progressed pretty normally with the stall around 150 that I had anticipated. However, things were really slow between 170-190. I am not sure if this was a fuel issue (I would just stoke the coals instead of adding more
charcoal/wood) or if it was due to the weather (after dark it dropped down to the mid 30s).

Around 11:30 PM, it did finally reach 190 and was ready to be taken off the smoker. It was a thing of beauty. I let it sit, wrapped in tin foil, for about 45 minutes as I cleaned up.

I was really happy that the bone pulled so cleanly as a friend of mine who has done quite a bit of smoking said that would probably take a few go-rounds for that to happen.

Not a bad little smoke ring.

And here it is, plated, using a sweet BBQ sauce and a vinegar sauce I found on amazingribs.com

After last night, I guess these are the questions I have for you fellas. What type of wood is preferable with a pork shoulder? Do you typically use the same wood regardless of meat? What would a good follow up to the shoulder for a smoke?

Dattserberg fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 19, 2012

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax
Pork seems to go best with apple plus hickory or pecan. So far I have had the best results with putting the wood chunks down in the empty ring and then dumping a mostly full ring of unlit on top and starting it with about 15 lit from the chimney.

It seems to avoid the blast of white smoke at the start compared to trying to stuff the wood in after the ring is full and gave a lot better smoke ring.

I would do some ribs next. They are a lot quicker and still pretty resilient to temp swings as long as you keep it under 275.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Hell yea, that looks great!

Brining and marinading doesn't do much in my experience, and that of most others, for shoulders and other big round chunks of meat. You want to use a marinade needle and inject that bad boy, leaving it overnight. That gets the flavor in there.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
A friend gave us an electric smoker last week, and I've decided to do our turkey in it this year.

Pretty excited! I've got a nice double probe remote thermometer too, so I can keep a good eye on things.

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

A friend gave us an electric smoker last week, and I've decided to do our turkey in it this year.

Pretty excited! I've got a nice double probe remote thermometer too, so I can keep a good eye on things.

What kind of electric smoker is it?

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast
Question: has anyone done the whole HeaterMeter setup on a Weber One-Touch? How did you mount the blower if so? I'm trying to find adapters and haven't had much luck.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

PainBreak posted:

What kind of electric smoker is it?

Weber something or other. The super simple vertical barrel kind, electric element resting on lava rock in the bottom. It's old so I don't have a specific model or anything.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Yeah I buy all of that. The can was about getting the bird to sit nicely in the wsm. I wonder about quartering a turkey and smoking it. That'd work nicely I bet. Time to hit up the after thanksgiving sales.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Ron Jeremy posted:

Yeah I buy all of that. The can was about getting the bird to sit nicely in the wsm. I wonder about quartering a turkey and smoking it. That'd work nicely I bet. Time to hit up the after thanksgiving sales.

The sales were my plan, but when I went to get stuff for thanksgiving brisket and pork was on sale and now I have a brisket and butt. Then we found out there is a pig slaughtering place a few streets over for some reason, and I ended up with a big chunk of ribs with the belly still attached and a pile of sausages, so it will probably be new years before I get around to a turkey.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax
Oh no, I was foiling this brisket and the point fell off. I hope nobody throws it back on the smoker with sauce. What if it...gets burnt??? :ohdear:

Seriously, though, I'm now a mustard instead of oil before rub convert. I did this brisket high heat, so it was only unfoiled for two or three hours, but this is the best bark I've gotten on anything that I've smoked so far.

edit:

Well, this ended up delicious.

cornface fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Nov 25, 2012

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

cornface posted:

Seriously, though, I'm now a mustard instead of oil before rub convert. I did this brisket high heat, so it was only unfoiled for two or three hours, but this is the best bark I've gotten on anything that I've smoked so far.
I use a horseradish sauce mixed with spicy mustard when doing pork or beef. Oil gave me an almost too-tough bark and not much flavor at all. And having done high heat briskets and low heat marathon cooking session briskets, I can't tell a difference between the 2 either. I like that with high heat I can prep in the morning on Sunday and still have dinner that night.

quote:

edit:

Well, this ended up delicious.

That looks awesome. Now I want to go get a full packer brisket, but I dont have $60-$70 to drop on meat right now, especially since I just smoked 2 turkeys for thanksgiving.

DJCobol fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Nov 25, 2012

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Any tips for high heat brisket? Was going to try this in a week or two with a foil wrapped roasting pan, process pretty sound?

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/brisket4.html

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Bob Mundon posted:

Any tips for high heat brisket? Was going to try this in a week or two with a foil wrapped roasting pan, process pretty sound?

That is the recipe I use. Would do half chipotle and half ancho in the rub, though. Also, get two pans. Put one on the lower rack to catch the drippings and put it in your sauce.

Just don't pull it off until it feels like pushing a probe into butter. It might be 180 or it might be 200, but pulling it too early will make you think you overcooked it. A horrible illusion.

Edit: and don't forget to make burnt ends!

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Anyone got some good ideas for rib tips? I usually just throw them on with the ribs but I feel like there had to be some better ways.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Bob Mundon posted:

Thats pretty much exactly what I do. I use one of those $2 foil pans under the brisket when I start it to collect whatever drippings come off of it. Then, a few hours in I will drain off whatever I can from that, make a couple of aluminum foil rings to put in the bottom of the pan, and then put the brisket on top of that. The rings keep the brisket from sitting in its own juices so the bottom bark doesn't get all mushy. Then cover tightly with foil and put back on the smoker for a few more hours.

Once the flat is butter soft, I pull the whole thing, separate the point from the flat and wrap the flat in foil and an old bath towel and put it in a cooler to stay hot. Trim some of the huge chunks of fat or connective tissue from the point, chop it up into 1" cubes roughly, and if you used a dry rub in the beginning and you have any left, now is the time to hit those point chunks with some more rub. Throw back into the foil pan with the drippings (leave uncovered) and put the whole sumbitch back on the smoker. The burnt ends usually cook for at least another hour or 2, but i've left them up to 4 more hours before.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Anyone here used a Smokinator that can vouch for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Dattserberg posted:

So last week, after lurking this thread for quite some time, I decided to buy a Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker. Yesterday, I broke the bad boy out and decided to have a go with an 8lb pork shoulder. I marinaded the pork for roughly 2 days before smoking. As far as I can tell, this really didn't come through much with the flavor. What really came through was the combination of hickory and applewood I used. I put the shoulder on at about 9AM and let the waiting game begin. A football-filled Sunday is a perfect day to smoke as you stay distracted most of the day and there isn't that overwhelming feeling of just waiting around. The cook progressed pretty normally with the stall around 150 that I had anticipated. However, things were really slow between 170-190. I am not sure if this was a fuel issue (I would just stoke the coals instead of adding more
charcoal/wood) or if it was due to the weather (after dark it dropped down to the mid 30s).

Around 11:30 PM, it did finally reach 190 and was ready to be taken off the smoker. It was a thing of beauty. I let it sit, wrapped in tin foil, for about 45 minutes as I cleaned up.

I was really happy that the bone pulled so cleanly as a friend of mine who has done quite a bit of smoking said that would probably take a few go-rounds for that to happen.

Not a bad little smoke ring.

And here it is, plated, using a sweet BBQ sauce and a vinegar sauce I found on amazingribs.com

After last night, I guess these are the questions I have for you fellas. What type of wood is preferable with a pork shoulder? Do you typically use the same wood regardless of meat? What would a good follow up to the shoulder for a smoke?

That looks awesome. With my friends Weber and my barrel grill, it is too difficult getting the shoulder that hot without use of an oven in the last few hours.