Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Less than 20 on Star Citizen if you've been waiting! The main site is crashy as gently caress, but Kickstater's still fine.

They're up to 6.14 million. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

miguelito
Oct 5, 2012

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
(ask me about sexy shaving)
I had another look at that KS to see if I missed something or if it really was just a few pencil drawings on parchment background, and...

I accept that you can't have a bog standard WRPG setting without Germanic sounding names, but even then "The Reich" would... not be my first choice, personally. And Guido Henkel is German, so I just have to assume that he doesn't know "Reich" explicitly denotes the Third Reich in English, and nothing else...
Bonus fact: "Il frigo" simply means "the fridge" in Italian.

Vafthrudnir
Apr 6, 2009

FRUNGY! FRUNGY! FRUNGY!
Well, the name of the game is "Thorvalla" so I'd say naming is not his strong suit.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
That is so obviously an Elder Scrolls rip-off I don't even know what to say.

I mean, world map clearly divided into distinct themed provinces? Check. The name of the (first) game is also the name of a province (yes I know the first ES game was "Arena" I'm talking about the others)? Check. Hell, they're even using the same sepia parchment map style.

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 19, 2012

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Pochoclo posted:

I mean, world map clearly divided into distinct themed provinces? Check. The name of the (first) game is also the name of a province? Check. Hell, they're even using the same sepia parchment map style.

Not to mention the Sea of Azura. Looks more like the WoW map to me, though.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
But...but...he's a self described legendary game designer!

I'll admit, he has good credits but there's nothing there but some super generic fantasy concept art. A million dollars? Good luck with that. Then again, we've seen projects just as bland get funded.

On another note, Mak has 2 hours left, and has failed to get much beyond 10% of its goal. What do you think happened on that one? I think it looked pretty decent, and the videos demonstrated that yes, there was an actual game that was in development.

Edit: Admit, not admin

Orzo fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 19, 2012

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I don't know. I'm fine with that map, but nothing about the idea really excites me enough to pledge.

I enjoyed most of the games he worked on, I guess, but the pitch seems pretty bare bones. I'm not complaining or saying it sucks lol or anything along those lines.

I hope it fleshes out over the course of the month, but drat, no matter what, I absolutely hate hate hate the idea of any viewpoint ever being perpendicular to the ground. A straight top-down view is the worst.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Orzo posted:

But...but...he's a self described legendary game designer!

I'll admin, he has good credits but there's nothing there but some super generic fantasy concept art. A million dollars? Good luck with that. Then again, we've seen projects just as bland get funded.

On another note, Mak has 2 hours left, and has failed to get much beyond 10% of its goal. What do you think happened on that one? I think it looked pretty decent, and the videos demonstrated that yes, there was an actual game that was in development.

That Mak looked like a very interesting game. A physics sandbox with a game built on top of it is something I'd like to see more of. I'd like to see more sandbox games, period.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Star Citizen just wrapped up its fundraising drive.. they ended up with a combined total of $6,222,353 combined between their site and Kickstarter. (KS alone contributed over $2 million)

Total backer count of 89,461, which is just huge.

I think this pretty much shattered all other crowdfunded game records.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

macnbc posted:

Star Citizen just wrapped up its fundraising drive.. they ended up with a combined total of $6,222,353 combined between their site and Kickstarter. (KS alone contributed over $2 million)

Total backer count of 89,461, which is just huge.

I think this pretty much shattered all other crowdfunded game records.

Well, at least in gaming, sure. And not counting the OUYA, but who does?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

evilmiera posted:

Well, at least in gaming, sure. And not counting the OUYA, but who does?

I was careful to say game. Also the Ouya is a platform, not a game, per se.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Orzo posted:

All I can figure is that the press/gamers are a bit tired of "collect some blocks, build stuff out of them" sandboxes - even if MaK looked quite different from Minecraft, and had an actual and very cool physical sim going.

These days, sandbox games need something more to get attention. An actual gamey game part to tie it all together. Castle Story had the sandbox stuff... but that was just the background mechanic for "build awesome floating castles and defend them against encroaching hoardes."

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Orzo posted:

So much of what Mak is looked really neat, but it also looked really tedious.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Orzo posted:

It wasn't made by someone who created games from your childhood. That's it. Large goal Kickstarters are only getting by on nostalgia and media coverage, the latter fueled by the former. MaK never had a chance.

Shalinor posted:

All I can figure is that the press/gamers are a bit tired of "collect some blocks, build stuff out of them" sandboxes

I personally do not believe this is the case. I assume the reason why Joystiq (or similar) do not cover most interesting Kickstarters like MaK is due to mistakenly believing it wouldn't be worth the time as such articles wouldn't get much in the way of hits. Any reporter worth their salt and watching that project would notice MaK was special and not the usual dumb Minecraft clone, but ad views are king.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Nov 20, 2012

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://www.humblebundle.com/double-fine

This is kinda kickstartery, right?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The best kind of kickstartery without actually using the word. I sincerely hope at least a few of my favorites there actually get made, because they kind of rocked. The Not-Godzilla, the heist game with cards, the 80's machine bot thing, all good stuff.

Oh, and especially the Startopia-esque game.

Edit: Heck I even liked the one that was basically just you being a duck swimming through generated enviroments.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Drifter posted:

:catstare:
Calling in old debts to fill a zero balance bank account in order to buy videogames just seems.... I'm laughing, but I feel kinda bad, too.

Paying $20 now for $50 game 2 years down the road is basically the goon equivalent of a retirement plan so I don't really see the problem here.

Pochoclo posted:

I mean, world map clearly divided into distinct themed provinces? Check. The name of the (first) game is also the name of a province (yes I know the first ES game was "Arena" I'm talking about the others)? Check. Hell, they're even using the same sepia parchment map style.

The Elder scrolls is so generic I'm not sure if it's possible for something to actually be an Elder Scrolls ripoff.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 19, 2012

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

The Moon Monster posted:

Paying $20 now for $50 game 2 years down the road is basically the goon equivalent of a retirement plan so I don't really see the problem here.
In all seriousness, the retirement villages for this generation are going to rock. We'll have gamer facilities, with arcades full of all the games the old people played, LAN parties and tabetop gaming to replace bingo night, and grandpas will yell at grandmas across the hall as they play Halo or whatever from their beds.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

My GoG and Steam accounts are sure to work in the future! And then they'll really be Good Old Games :unsmith:

Now to singlehandedly back Maia and Shadowgate past their goals.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

The Moon Monster posted:

The Elder scrolls is so generic I'm not sure if it's possible for something to actually be an Elder Scrolls ripoff.

This is decidedly untrue.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

The Moon Monster posted:

Setting-wise, yeah, that's a good point. The only TES game that was actually rather original in setting was Morrowind. All the others were pretty generic fantasy.
But I mean the kind of game itself. You can't argue that TES: Arena was indeed revolutionary in its time.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

epitasis posted:

I just want the goddamned Barkley Gaiden Kickstarter to come out so I can retire from pledging.

We wanted to do it today, but we still haven't been validated by Kickstarter and it's getting dangerously close to Thanksgiving so we're postponing it until next week :(

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

miguelito posted:

I had another look at that KS to see if I missed something or if it really was just a few pencil drawings on parchment background, and...

Wow, the Jade Sea. I wonder what fantastic oriental treasures and asian mysteries await us there.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Unforgotten Quest. Looking at the graphics on this shitpile and how long it's been up, I think the developers got confused about when to fake contributions with their own funds.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Bieeardo posted:

Unforgotten Quest. Looking at the graphics on this shitpile and how long it's been up, I think the developers got confused about when to fake contributions with their own funds.

I think his cartoon series, Unforgotten Realms, has a following, so maybe those are real pledges.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
God help us. I'm apparently local to him, and now I hate this soulless burg even more.

Etan
Nov 6, 2006

Bieeardo posted:

Actually it's because the guy making it has a very dedicated group of followers. His two biggest things were probably Unforgotten Realms which was a flash series and a Minecraft mod called Dwarves Vs Zombies.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Shalinor posted:

In all seriousness, the retirement villages for this generation are going to rock. We'll have gamer facilities, with arcades full of all the games the old people played, LAN parties and tabetop gaming to replace bingo night, and grandpas will yell at grandmas across the hall as they play Halo or whatever from their beds.

Just imagine the music!! I still chuckle every time I think about the time when I'm in some home(hopefully I make it that far) and still listening to 90s music.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Shalinor posted:

This is probably the best thing I have read in games all year.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Bieeardo posted:

It's based off this flash series, which yes the authors actually got paid to do and even had a following.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Shalinor posted:

Honestly, I'm hoping by the time I need to move into care we've got some kind of rudimentary matrix and they can just plug me into a pod for the last 20 or so years.

Furry Hunter
May 5, 2005
Professional Fursecutor

MikeJF posted:

Honestly, I'm hoping by the time I need to move into care we've got some kind of rudimentary matrix and they can just plug me into a pod for the last 20 or so years.

From your lips to the Creators mind Brother!

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

a̸ ̕s̡cŗeam͟i͠ng͞ ͘sk͏u̢l̨l i̡s y͝o͡ųr o͡n͟l͞y ͢comp̛ani̡o͞n͝
Look, I hate to nag but the Spud's Quest KS is 9 days to go and needs support. What the gently caress is Elite???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo8P5QxC4DY

miguelito
Oct 5, 2012

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
(ask me about sexy shaving)
Does he state at any point that he's going to update the gameplay itself? Because if I remember one thing about Dizzy, it's the degree of bullshit you had to cope with - unfair traps, one life, bad controls, bad hit detection, illogical puzzles, badly designed platforming etc.

Unlike all of other "real" nostalgia-riding kickstarters, it doesn't have an actual vintage name attached to it. Also, it's *really* region-specific, and personally I find the art to be a real turn-off. I love retro compy graphics, only the art in this just doesn't look well-done at all, disregarding technical limitations (which are broken too, with too many colors, transparency effects and whatnot).

Sorry if I'm sounding like I want this KS dead or something, I actually like the intention. These are just my reasons for not backing.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

miguelito posted:

I accept that you can't have a bog standard WRPG setting without Germanic sounding names, but even then "The Reich" would... not be my first choice, personally. And Guido Henkel is German, so I just have to assume that he doesn't know "Reich" explicitly denotes the Third Reich in English, and nothing else...
Bonus fact: "Il frigo" simply means "the fridge" in Italian.

I like Guido Henkel, and I love a few of his games, but the names on this map just scream "babby's first RPG campaign". :psyduck:

On the topic of Guido Henkel; he's actually the guy on the cover of the Planescape: Torment box.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Nov 20, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I think Thorvalla would be doing better if it wasn't trying so hard to sell the game on the name of a legendary designer hardly anyone has ever heard of. Not that I doubt the guy's skills, but he doesn't really live up to the nerd cred and status that they're trying to build for him. I imagine a lot of people are just looking at the kickstarter only thinking "Who??"

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

a̸ ̕s̡cŗeam͟i͠ng͞ ͘sk͏u̢l̨l i̡s y͝o͡ųr o͡n͟l͞y ͢comp̛ani̡o͞n͝

miguelito posted:

Does he state at any point that he's going to update the gameplay itself? Because if I remember one thing about Dizzy, it's the degree of bullshit you had to cope with - unfair traps, one life, bad controls, bad hit detection, illogical puzzles, badly designed platforming etc.

Unlike all of other "real" nostalgia-riding kickstarters, it doesn't have an actual vintage name attached to it. Also, it's *really* region-specific, and personally I find the art to be a real turn-off. I love retro compy graphics, only the art in this just doesn't look well-done at all, disregarding technical limitations (which are broken too, with too many colors, transparency effects and whatnot).

Sorry if I'm sounding like I want this KS dead or something, I actually like the intention. These are just my reasons for not backing.

I don't recall any of the Dizzy games only having one life after Treasure Island Dizzy? Everything after Fantasy World gave you three, I'm sure of it.

There's a freeware version of the game here that's a few years old, check it out and see if that takes your fancy because the actual game will likely be similar with a bunch more stuff. The jumping is not bullshit like in Dizzy, that I can say for certain.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zenith Nadir posted:

I don't recall any of the Dizzy games only having one life after Treasure Island Dizzy? Everything after Fantasy World gave you three, I'm sure of it.

That's right. Treasure Island Dizzy was the only really bullshit one. And besides, I got more entertainment and challenge out of the £2.50 I paid for that "bullshit" game than anyone has had from any £40 console game since. Bullshit for me is a game with 10 hours game play and unlimited saves. :corsair:

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

An RPG maker game using what seems (from the trailer) to use a very high percentage of default resources/resources that you get by google searching "rpg maker sprites" got money on Kickstarter? Why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

THE PWNER posted:

An RPG maker game using what seems (from the trailer) to use a very high percentage of default resources/resources that you get by google searching "rpg maker sprites" got money on Kickstarter? Why.

Because it's an interesting premise for a game, and not everyone is a programmer/artist/musician/space marine. Seriously, if a project seems promising, and the guy has the integrity to use the donations to directly improve his game, why does it matter?