Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Cake Attack posted:

This is from a while back, so I don't know if it'll help you personally, but I've managed to get 25-30 FPS (3x Native, 4xx Anti-Aliasing) consistently by setting EFB copies to RAM when you start the game, and then switching to Texture once you load your save file.

If you start with Texture, the character models will get messed up, but if you start with Ram and switch to Texture they don't.

Unless there's some catch I've yet to encounter, I've only been playing like this for 15 minutes or so (saw this post when I was trying to find ways to improve the framerate.)

E: Or maybe not. It worked well enough in the first dungeon, but when I got to the city the frame rate collapsed again.

After playing it on my Wii I've determined it's just the game. My framerate on my console dips heavily in the city as well. I think it's just a bit too big for its britches in this stages of the Wii's life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOB V2.0
Apr 4, 2003

"Select your battle figher......okay.....the count down begins......3...2...1..go"
I've been playing through Skyward Sword on Dolphin and it plays flawlessly. I've reached a point however where when I try to enter the first dungeon after the whole forest sequence, the game fades to a white screen and then locks up. I've tried different settings on dolphin and different versions too.

Has anyone else had this issue or know how to get through it?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Has anyone had any luck getting Skies of Arcadia: Legends to work without the music stuttering? I've tried a number of settings and revisions but I can't find a way to make it work properly.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

HOB V2.0 posted:

I've been playing through Skyward Sword on Dolphin and it plays flawlessly. I've reached a point however where when I try to enter the first dungeon after the whole forest sequence, the game fades to a white screen and then locks up. I've tried different settings on dolphin and different versions too.

Has anyone else had this issue or know how to get through it?

I don't recall having any kind of issue like that, but there should be plenty of documentation about running this game on Dolphin. Check the Dolphin wiki, it's kept updated with known issues. If you don't find it there, search the forums.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Evil Eagle posted:

Has anyone had any luck getting Skies of Arcadia: Legends to work without the music stuttering? I've tried a number of settings and revisions but I can't find a way to make it work properly.

SoA is just a very poorly emulated game in general. It has lots of graphical glitches and other issues. I think to fix the audio, you need to play it with HLE, but the game runs particularly slow for some reason.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Having a few problems with Resident Evil 4 Wii edition - generally everything is fine, until after the lake monster bit it starts raining and my fps goes to poo poo. Currently using v3.0, can anyone suggest a better version to try please?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

A pretty huge commit dropped yesterday that gave a really nice speedup, 10+ FPS in some games. http://code.google.com/p/dolphin-emu/source/detail?r=5230146c7341eec2e541405043a2aa385d206a12

Some people are reporting a 20-25% speedup in Xenoblade, and big speedups in SMG and some other games. Speeeeed! :rice:

I'm gonna try this out ASAP.

edit: This only really applies for DX9 mode, keep that in mind. Any revision later than 784 should have the speedup: http://dolphin-emulator.com/download.html

After some testing, I still feel like the emulator is a little slower than it was maybe a year or so ago. But we're getting there.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Oct 22, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Tried out the latest revision and it seems that Twin Snakes might actually be playable now! Only downside is I don't have a save file so I can't play Extreme.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

How do I put it in DX9 mode, or tell if it already is?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Wendell posted:

How do I put it in DX9 mode, or tell if it already is?

It's the backend option in the first tab of the graphics options. On the very top.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Holy crap, my crappy non-gaming laptop with a dual core i5 can almost run Xenoblade now.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
Does anyone know how to get Dolphin to record inputs? What I want is to record my inputs, then turn the quality up crazy-high and dump the frames and audio for later editing.

Every time I try to play back what I've recorded - no matter where I've started - I get an error saying "fatal desync playwiimote 7 != 4, byte 0". I do not know what this means; Google's not helping me; and their forums aren't the most helpful either.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Okay so this thing now works on my home PC because I upgraded the processor. I'm going to get some games for cheap at Gamestop(good timing, the Wii U is coming out) and probably a Wii Remote/nunchuck as well as a bluetooth dongle. My question is this: Do you guys think it's worth it to get a motion plus controller? I don't care about Skyward Sword. I'm not even sure what other games use it. I also haven't settled on a list of games.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Okay so this thing now works on my home PC because I upgraded the processor. I'm going to get some games for cheap at Gamestop(good timing, the Wii U is coming out) and probably a Wii Remote/nunchuck as well as a bluetooth dongle. My question is this: Do you guys think it's worth it to get a motion plus controller? I don't care about Skyward Sword. I'm not even sure what other games use it. I also haven't settled on a list of games.

Skyward Sword is the only game that comes to mind that's worth playing which needs Motion Plus, so I'd recommend skipping it.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
The nunchuck is basically mandatory, correct?

I don't mean to seem cheap, sorry, but if I free up a few bucks that means more games I can grab while the getting is good.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

The nunchuck is basically mandatory, correct?

I don't mean to seem cheap, sorry, but if I free up a few bucks that means more games I can grab while the getting is good.

Yeah, lots of (good) games need it. The Mario Galaxy games are the first that come to mind.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Anyone know if the new versions of Dolphin run Xenoblade better?
I played through the game back in May and tried a million different versions and patches but it still wasn't running 100%. Now I want to replay it and it would be nice if the sound didn't stutter :)

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Firaga posted:

Anyone know if the new versions of Dolphin run Xenoblade better?
I played through the game back in May and tried a million different versions and patches but it still wasn't running 100%. Now I want to replay it and it would be nice if the sound didn't stutter :)

Doesn't stutter for me with LLE audio. And yes I believe the performance has increased in general(NTSC version).

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Doesn't stutter for me with LLE audio. And yes I believe the performance has increased in general(NTSC version).

Audio always stutters in every game with LLE when it isn't running 100%, that's probably what he's referencing. Maybe see if the fix for HLE was made for the latest version?

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I'm trying to run Mario Kart Double Dash with DSP LLE recompiler enabled so music will look during the races, but it causes all the audio in the game to be delayed by about half a second. It's not stuttering at all, just delayed. I've tried a few different things, DSP LLE on Thread, changing the audio backend, Audio throttling but nothing fixes it.

Everything else seems fine, getting ~60fps and the speed is running between 99 and 100%. Any idea what else to try?

edit: using 3.0

zelah fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 14, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

No idea, sorry. Try using the latest snapshot: http://dolphin-emu.org/download/

Also, in snapshot news, apparently they fixed the HLE audio in Tales of Symphonia and Skies of Arcadia. So if anyone was wanting to play those games but LLE was too slow, now's your chance!

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Oddly enough (or not, I don't know much about emulation), the latest snapshot didn't work, but 3.0 worked once I changed the graphics option to OpenGL instead of a directx.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I've been a PCSX2 user for a while, but I finally hooked up my PC to my plasma tv just to emulate Dolphin/PCSX2 and wow I'm blown away at how good it looks (Windwaker specifically).

Now is it just me or are the dolphin forums down? I'm trying to find the custom SVN builds that I had bookmarked earlier and keep getting 404d.
I'm using the latest stable release and things seem ok except for some flickering textures in Windwaker.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Just use the link two posts above yours.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

They changed domains a few weeks ago. I've updated all the links in the OP to point to the new domain. (dolphin-emu.org)

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

HenryEx posted:

Just use the link two posts above yours.

Yeah, that's the one I am using. I was just wondering if the forums and custom builds were still around.

I am trying metroid prime and its unplayably slow :(

Gyoru posted:

They changed domains a few weeks ago. I've updated all the links in the OP to point to the new domain. (dolphin-emu.org)
There we go, thanks!

I'm playing Paper Mario TTYD and getting audio issues too. Not to sound like a complainer.

I'm using Phenom II X4 955 at stock 3.2GHz.

I think i got better performance in PCSX2...

Pegnose Pete fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Nov 20, 2012

jimmydean
Aug 25, 2008
Guys I don't know where to post this but I need to know. What is the best Mario Party for the gamecube??

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
I've been trying to run Super Mario Galaxy 2, and it seems to work flawlessly, except for one thing. I'm using my dualshock 3 right analog stick to control the IR, but the cursor is constantly in the center of the screen, obstructing my view. Some dude on another forum told me to add:

NOT Axis Zr- AND NOT AxisZr+ AND NOT AxisZ+ AND NOT Axis Z-

As the button config for hiding the cursor, but this didn't seem to do anything at all.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
If your PS3 controller set up with the Z and Zr axis as the right analog stick? I know I did something very similar to autohide the cursor for some games. If that functionality was changed in a SVN revision at some point you could always use a L or R button to show the cursor, I did that for some games too.

Imodium AD
Sep 11, 2001
wut?

Flubby posted:

I bought a new dvd drive that can read Wii discs

You don't have PM so I'll have to ask here... Exactly what make/model of drive did you buy? The official(?) rawdump list of compatible drives is getting a bit old.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Does anyone have a controller scheme for TP or SS?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

For Twilight Princess, I would just try playing the Gamecube version. The Wii version doesn't really offer anything over the GC one other than motion controls. And if you're using a controller anyways, there goes that. For Skyward Sword, I've actually been interested in this myself. I may just end up eventually buying a motion plus and a usb sensor bar, but I'd like to avoid doing so if possible. I've heard there are some methods people use to map SS onto a gamepad, I don't really know what those are, or if they map well enough to keep the game fun.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Imodium AD posted:

You don't have PM so I'll have to ask here... Exactly what make/model of drive did you buy? The official(?) rawdump list of compatible drives is getting a bit old.

Theres a guy doing salvage on sa mart who has several

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

For Twilight Princess, I would just try playing the Gamecube version. The Wii version doesn't really offer anything over the GC one other than motion controls. And if you're using a controller anyways, there goes that. For Skyward Sword, I've actually been interested in this myself. I may just end up eventually buying a motion plus and a usb sensor bar, but I'd like to avoid doing so if possible. I've heard there are some methods people use to map SS onto a gamepad, I don't really know what those are, or if they map well enough to keep the game fun.

As somebody who messed around with a gamepad trying to remap SS controls onto it, just pick up an m+ controller. The control scheme is still lovely, but that's inherent to the game.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
I homebrewed up my Wii and used CleanRip to yank the .iso for MySims Agents. It only occasionally plays the music in Dolphin, but I can deal with that.

The real problem I'm having is that certain letters are replaced with blank spaces in dialogue boxes. For example, everywhere there's supposed to be a 'K' there's nothing but a blank space. This... looks a little weird.

Does this sound like an emulation issue, or more like a corrupted .iso?

Imodium AD
Sep 11, 2001
wut?
I found this guy, and then read about RPC1 firmware and riplock... Wow, I see the industry has become no less of a festering anus since I last bought hardware.

Here's the surplus thread: Link

And sure enough he has drives listed for this very purpose. Thank you!

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
I decided to try to use dolphin since I got rid of my old television and don't have the appropriate cables to connect my wii to my computer monitor, and I need help pairing my wiimote with the dolphin. Or rather it pairs up fine after a few tries, but the connection won't stay up and disconnects by itself after I try to boot up Skyward Sword.

My wiimote is an old model with a motion plus attachment if that matters, I also tried the special edition wiimotion plus that came with the skyward sword, but that won't even connect successfully.

I'm using the 3.0-872 version of the emulator.

Any help?

Edit: I figured it out myself, my wiimote's batteries were just almost dead, and I just assumed they had more juice left because the battery indicator still had one blue dot left. Sorry to make an useless post.

Oo Koo fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Dec 8, 2012

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
What is the black magic needed to have a wiimote get connected each time? I can usually get it to connect, but only after multiple times of deleting the bluetooth connect, resynching, sometimes having dolphin find the remote, etc...

Seems each time I do this, it's a different thing that gets it to work.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Anyone know how to get rid of the stats on the bottom of the screen? The FPS and Speed and all that stuff. That's my last stepping stone until I'm ready to play through Windwaker again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's all this about a special build just for Xenoblade? All the links a few pages back are 404's now that they moved domains.

• Locked thread