Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Jones do you poop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

Gnome de plume posted:

Jones do you poop

Oh god, I can see where this is headed. Half a page down and some intrepid young goon will have figured out what her sweat tastes like, I just know it :suicide:

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Jones, tell me your best story. :allears:

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left

Ezzer posted:

Oh god, I can see where this is headed. Half a page down and some intrepid young goon will have figured out what her sweat tastes like, I just know it :suicide:

Well clearly since we've never seen her eat Jones does not poop because :shepicide:

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Ezzer posted:

:tali:

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.

Gnome de plume posted:

Jones do you poop
Jones cannot poop because she is not alive. Only living things poop. :colbert:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Ezzer posted:

SHHH! Don't say that! Don't summon them! I just got here and I don't need this ruined by... THAT! Also, I just archived binged this thing over the past two days. I'm depressed now.

IronClaymore posted:

Putting all ego and curiosity aside, if Jones appeared beside you right now, with proof of her unchangeable nature and knowledge of all of Earth's history, how would you respond?

"You probably get this one a lot but... can you tell me about dinosaurs?"

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Gnome de plume posted:

Jones do you poop

Uh, obviously. Did you forget?

But wait - that book ends with a simple explanation: all living things eat, therefore everyone poops. Does Jones eat?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is she lying or is Tom lying or is no one lying aaaaah

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

Hint: Emotionless people don't form bonds that last a lifetime.

Its pretty clear she's overselling her inhuman nature like crazy

Angry Avocado
Jun 6, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

Maybe neither of them are. Jones knows Eglamore cares about her and will until he dies, something she saw happening many times over during her lifetime (or... whatever you call that for something that isn't technically alive). She can't return that feeling, only a semblance of it.

The last update struck me as kinda sad for that reason.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
At this point I'm pretty sure that Jones is overstating her emotionlessness and detachment. Whether she realizes that is another matter.

And hey, does this mean Jones will presumably become Eglamore in a few decades' time?

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Nov 21, 2012

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

At this point I'm pretty sure that Jones is overstating her emotionlessness and detachment. Whether she realizes that is another matter.

Perhaps she faked it until she made it?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

pik_d posted:

Maybe, yeah. I just don't think that's likely seeing how complex everyone else's motives have been throughout the strip. Remember why Kat became Annie's friend?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Man, I didn't think that relationship could get any creepier, and yet here we are.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

pik_d posted:

Totally what happened, I was about to post this.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

If there's

a version of Jones that mimics friendship from a desire to observe humanity and a set of ethics about how to treat humans, and
a version of Jones that believes she is doing that but in fact is "genuinely" making friends, and
a version of Jones that is genuinely making friends, and knows it, but chooses to claim inability to form emotional attachments for her own reasons,

and all three otherwise act the exact same way in all circumstances, is there a difference between them assuming that it is impossible for anyone else to know what they're thinking?

Which version of Jones are Annie or Eglamore best off assuming is the real one?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

And hey, does this mean Jones will presumably become Eglamore in a few decades' time?

It mean's she'll become Jimmy Jims Jones

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Arthur Crackpot posted:

Well clearly since we've never seen her eat Jones does not poop because :shepicide:

She straight up said she doesn't eat.

Which makes sense. If you need to eat but might get trapped in solidified magma for a couple billion years, you might not live to say you're immortal and unchanging.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

I dont know, the way she phrases her last sentence makes me believe that the other person makes the emotional connection, not her. "I will be a friend to him for the rest of his life"

So yeah Tom and Jones are telling the truth if this is the case.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Dammit Who? posted:

If there's

a version of Jones that mimics friendship from a desire to observe humanity and a set of ethics about how to treat humans, and
a version of Jones that believes she is doing that but in fact is "genuinely" making friends, and
a version of Jones that is genuinely making friends, and knows it, but chooses to claim inability to form emotional attachments for her own reasons,

and all three otherwise act the exact same way in all circumstances, is there a difference between them assuming that it is impossible for anyone else to know what they're thinking?

Which version of Jones are Annie or Eglamore best off assuming is the real one?
Are any of them on trolleys? This is important.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
Regardless of her motivations, I think we can all agree that when Jones says "We're BFFs," she loving means it.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Could go either way. The chapter still isn't over yet, so we might even be getting more hints soon! Looking over her history again, though, I really only have two questions.

1. Why did she help feed the hunters? I feel that the answer to this question would answer many others.
2. Why does she never show any expression? She can open and close her mouth; she's probably physically capable of smiling. She's also likely to be a skilled mimic thanks to millennia of practice. If she's pretending to care about Eglamore, she could pretend to smile the same way. And she has motivation to pretend to care, however inscrutable or alien it might be. Why doesn't she? Is she so invested in being emotionless that she wants an outward sign of it?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Pester posted:

Jones, tell me your best story. :allears:

She claims neither to have emotions nor creativity. She probably cannot tell a good story.

tsundair
Nov 4, 2012
Ouch, that page hit me deep.

So, Jones will be Jimmy Jims' friend for the rest of his life. The life that's a speck in Jones'. And she's just collecting information, only to go on to the next person after he's died. Repeat ad infinitum.

A sad existence.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Could go either way. The chapter still isn't over yet, so we might even be getting more hints soon! Looking over her history again, though, I really only have two questions.

1. Why did she help feed the hunters? I feel that the answer to this question would answer many others.
2. Why does she never show any expression? She can open and close her mouth; she's probably physically capable of smiling. She's also likely to be a skilled mimic thanks to millennia of practice. If she's pretending to care about Eglamore, she could pretend to smile the same way. And she has motivation to pretend to care, however inscrutable or alien it might be. Why doesn't she? Is she so invested in being emotionless that she wants an outward sign of it?

1. I sorta wondered if she was helping, or if the hunters were just driving the herd towards her because they knew what would likely happen. It also might play into her thinking that humans have something to do with what she is since we look like her.

2. No idea really, but maybe the fact that humans have been around for such an insignificant amount of time compared to all that time she spent not talking or mimicking things has to do with it. Or maybe she's tried to mimic emotions before, and ends up overdoing it, and it's just really awkward.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

IronClaymore posted:

Putting all ego and curiosity aside, if Jones appeared beside you right now, with proof of her unchangeable nature and knowledge of all of Earth's history, how would you respond?

What in the heck is the seed bismuth?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Bismuth is pretty super cool in itself

It forms these weird rear end geometric crystals which often have an iridescent oxide coating. The largest and most attractive crystals ARE actually grown artificially, in laboratories, you can purchase specimens on ebay several inches long, and they really do look like little cities. It's not actually very widely used in industry, but it's similarity to lead but much lower toxicity means it can find uses replacing lead in plumbing and so forth.

It's also in the same chemical group as Antimony

Fatkraken fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Nov 21, 2012

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

tsundair posted:

Ouch, that page hit me deep.

So, Jones will be Jimmy Jims' friend for the rest of his life. The life that's a speck in Jones'. And she's just collecting information, only to go on to the next person after he's died. Repeat ad infinitum.

A sad existence.

She's probably been doing this for as long as humans have existed. Even if she's overstating her lack of emotions, I imagine that you would eventually come to terms with the brevity of human lives.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

She'll be called "Jimmy Jims"

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Here's a question: if Jones has perfect recall, why does she keep a photo album?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

DaveWoo posted:

Here's a question: if Jones has perfect recall, why does she keep a photo album?

Mimicry of human habits. Also allow her to show these photos, since I don't think the "Jones back in time" pages we saw were holographic projections shown to Annie.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Cat Mattress posted:

Mimicry of human habits. Also allow her to show these photos, since I don't think the "Jones back in time" pages we saw were holographic projections shown to Annie.

There weren't cameras back in those days.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

pandaK posted:

There weren't cameras back in those days.

There were in the first few pages. (The first surviving modern photograph is dated from 1826.)

Anyway, what I meant is that she can show photographs instead of describing the scene. Annie didn't get to see the art we did, she had the blah-blah version instead.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Speaking of, if all the flashback boxes are narration (as one could reasonably assume), does Annie now know that Jones has made a recommendation to the headmaster about the next medium? Does she know who it is?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Guys, guys. We're forgetting an important question.

If nothing about Jones can be cut or harmed, how does she get curls in her hair?

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

blastron posted:

If nothing about Jones can be cut or harmed, how does she get curls in her hair?

Underwire

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

blastron posted:

Copious amounts of hairspray/sugar water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

blastron posted:

Her hair is pliable, she just can't lose or grow it. Look at the previous pages in the chapter - she's got a bunch of different hairstyles.