Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Besides the stuff on the wiki, anything for Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance? It's the only thing between me and finally playing MGS4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You can indeed, but Reach is one of the best in the series and well worth a look. ODST's basically Halo: Firefly due to its voice cast, and it's pretty drat good itself.

I'll second that as a general non-Halo fan. I played through all five games with my roommate, since he wanted to breeze through them before picking up Halo 4. Not playing Reach would really be doing yourself a disservice. It has possibly the best voice acting and pacing of the entire series.

And if you do play ODST, and want to play the games "in order," technically ODST falls chronologically after the first couple of levels/chapters of Halo 2. I don't remember specifically where, though.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
If you are playing the earlier Halo games for the story going into 4, you will probably want to find the terminals in the second half of Halo 3 too.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Is there anything I need to know about GTA IV to make it prettier or run better or whatever? Just bought it from Steam.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Flame112 posted:

Is there anything I need to know about GTA IV to make it prettier or run better or whatever? Just bought it from Steam.

Check this poo poo out.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Flame112 posted:

It runs significantly better on Windows 7, compared to XP.

That aside, don't expect to pull all sliders to max no matter what hardware you have. If I remember correctly, then view distance in particular can be made absurdly huge and thus unrunnable on any existing hardware, rather than limiting that choice to a sensible maximum.

pigdog fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 7, 2012

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

Centipeed posted:

I recently played through Halo 1 for the first time. Can I play Halo 2, 3, and 4 in that order, skip ODST and Reach, and not miss anything important story-wise?

None of the games are particularly long, and they're all quite good. There's really no reason to skip them.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!

theshim posted:

On that note - anyone have anything to say about Pokemon Conquest?

The most useful thing to evolve your Eevee into is probably a Vaporeon because it can use Hydro Pump, which is a 5 Star Power move that hits 3 spaces infront of it.

Don't get attached to the character you make at the beginning of the game.

Just because someone has a favored pokémon doesn't mean it is good to use, a prime example of this is Yoshimoto. It is highly unlikely you will ever get link to 100% so feel free to use something of a similar type.

The fastest way to clear most of the post game content is to just have one or two trainer whom you send into battle alone equiped with the "Guardian Charm" item, which gives bonuses to attack and movement which will make your pokémon a wrecking ball and then get like 6 points of link, further snowballing into more of a wrecking ball.

If there is any pokémon you really want there is a password generator that can let you get a swarm of whatever pokémon. There is a limit of how many passwords you can use but you can get a couple.

Look up how to get the legendary pokémon/evolve trainers.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I got the newest Indie Royale Bundle. Tell me about Avernum 4-6

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Anything for Hardcore: Uprising?

I'm playing through as Bahamut on Rising mode if it matters

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

I PLAYED BATTLETOADS AND ALL I GOT WAS A RASH IN MY ASS

Vadun posted:

Anything for Hardcore: Uprising?

I'm playing through as Bahamut on Rising mode if it matters

If you're purchasing skills, action skills, lives and health are the most important in that order. Unless you're awesome you're not going to live long enough to take full advantage of the bonus weapon levels. I found that proper use of action skills improved my survival rate much more than health and extra lives.

Given that it's a contra game, you'll find it pretty difficult and probably replaying levels a few times, so that's where most of your money will come from.

One last tip, the Heat gun can be charged.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
A World of Keflings: If you set a kefling to work on harvesting something (like trees or ore), you can then set them to carry the things they harvest directly to a building by dropping them on the building. I spent the entire story mode not knowing this, leaving me hurting for population throughout. :smith:

(if I'm not clear, drop them on the mine and then drop them on the building.)

flatluigi fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 10, 2012

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

GulMadred posted:

Update your graphics drivers. Fallen Enchantress simply refused to start (no warnings or error messages, just CTD) until I visited nvidia.com.

In-game stability and optimization seem a lot better than Elemental, but the game still dies if I ever Alt-Tab. If you notice the same problem then you should probably kill any focus-stealing applications before you try to play FE.

Compared to Elemental (and 4x games in general), the environment is quite dangerous. This was also true in Master of Magic (very nasty dudes lurking in the nodes) and Warlock (the loving gates!) but you could avoid that stuff until you were ready for it. In Fallen Enchantress, scary monsters will ambush your troops and attack your cities.

City growth is capped by food production/availability, and the game does a lousy job of notifying you when this occurs. When choosing city upgrades, I didn't see much of an impact from the "Increase Growth" stuff; I'd recommend maximizing farm ouput first.

Tactical and strategic spells are both very powerful/useful. However, be warned that the game does include a number of magic-immune enemies, and many high-tier enemies will have spell-resistance or strong elemental resistances. An "army" consisting entirely of mage champions can dominate the early game but then suddenly hit a brick wall (e.g. Obsidian golem). The magic system is flexible enough that you aren't completely screwed when this happens (e.g. you can surround it with mud to slow it down, and summon minions to chip away at it) but you'll have fewer headaches if you include some "Civilization" and "Warfare" items in your research choices.

Summon a familiar at the first opportunity. They're a useful "force multiplier" for a skilled mage, but they're very fragile and can't use equipment. By summoning it early, you can earn it a few extra levels (hence: hitpoints) and reduce the risk that it gets one-shotted in an important battle.

The game includes a fair amount of "vendor trash" loot (e.g. wolf pelts). I don't think that this stuff is involved in any quests; I've just been selling it off.

The map editor is a bit screwy; I've Saved a map, immediately re-Loaded it, and found that the whole thing has been randomized. YMMV, but I wouldn't recommend putting any effort into Content Creation until they've put in a few patches.

Anyone have any other tips for Fallen Enchantress? Basically looking for beginner stuff--what to build first, how many cities to settle (and what I should be looking for when settling them), which technologies are important (and which less so), which abilities are great/poo poo when creating your own sovereign/faction, etc. I can't even find a thread for this game on the Games forum, but it seems promising, I want to get into it.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Requesting Towns. I've been meaning to play it for sometime. With DF and Gnomeria you sort of need to know what you should be doing the first few days in the game, so any tips along those lines would be helpful or tips in general for that matter.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Do the Mother games need to be played in order? Thinking of playing Earthbound but don't want to miss out on any important story bits.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Skip Mother 1 but play Earthbound before Mother 3.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Besides the stuff on the wiki, anything for Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance? It's the only thing between me and finally playing MGS4.

If you're on PS2/ HD collection on PS3 the d-pad is pressure sensitive so don't accidentally use it for sneaking but press too hard.

Crawling over seagull poo poo won't let you slip, this becomes important after a boss. (walking works, too)

The game is pretty straightforward gameplay-wise, if you have a bit of metal gear experience there isn't too much you need to worry about.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Lizard Wizard posted:

Not sure if it's mentioned, but enjoy the story and have fun playing your first time through. Do the dogtag and no kill/alert stuff once you've beat it already if you have interest in it.

I'll never get all the dogtags or the Foxhound achievements on MGS4 because I just enjoy goofing around too much.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

voltron lion force posted:

Skip Mother 1 but play Earthbound before Mother 3.

Thanks!

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
So imagine I've been living under a rock for the last decade and have essentially no exposure to the Halo series before the Forward Unto Dawn trailer video for Halo 4.

I really like the story/setting - would I be better off starting from the start and playing the games in order or are the games in fact story-free shooters that I can safely play through with my brain switched off? How much would I miss by cribbing the story info from wikipedia and just getting Halo 4?

If I did play the games in order, am I boned because I can't get Halo 2 on Xbox 360? No, wait, 360 can play original Xbox games. Will that look and feel terrible now though? Which is OK since at the minute I'm more interested in the story than the game, but it would be nice if it weren't awful looking.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I would still read a wiki on Mother 1 because it gives you a better perspective on Giygas. Mother 1 was a game where the entire story pretty much happened in the final dungeon.

Major Ryan posted:

So imagine I've been living under a rock for the last decade and have essentially no exposure to the Halo series before the Forward Unto Dawn trailer video for Halo 4.

I really like the story/setting - would I be better off starting from the start and playing the games in order or are the games in fact story-free shooters that I can safely play through with my brain switched off? How much would I miss by cribbing the story info from wikipedia and just getting Halo 4?

If I did play the games in order, am I boned because I can't get Halo 2 on Xbox 360? No, wait, 360 can play original Xbox games. Will that look and feel terrible now though? Which is OK since at the minute I'm more interested in the story than the game, but it would be nice if it weren't awful looking.

Combat Evolved Anniversary is an updated version of the first game and I still think it's worth playing. Halo 2 has some awesome set pieces but it's a really disjointed game. Halo 3's special edition came with a movie compiling the events of Halo 2 which you can probably find on youtube.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Major Ryan posted:

If you're interested in the story, start with Reach (and it's a really good game on its own in terms of story and gameplay). Then get yourself Halo: CE. You do actually need to play Halo 2 before Halo 3, it sets up most of the plot points in the latter game (I believe it's downloadable off of Xbox Live, and the graphics hold up pretty well). ODST's completely optional, but most of the main cast is from Firefly and this fact was not lost on the game's writers.

dianekwon
Sep 1, 2012
Anyone have any advice for playing .hack Infection? I finally found a copy for pretty cheap off Amazon with its original packaging. Maybe it's not the greatest game around, but I sure did love playing this long ago. The idea of playing a game within a game really hooked me. I never got too far before I ended up losing the game. Sorry bro!

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax

Lizard Wizard posted:

At one point you'll be asked to enter some details about yourself like your date of birth. Don't give whacky comedy answers or gibberish, tell the truth.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Some stuff for Dishonored:

- Get Blink 2 as soon as you can, with the added distance you'll be zipping across rooftops and behind guards like it was nothing at all.
- NPCs seeing you blink can't tell which way you went, from their perspective you just vanished the way the Outsider does. So if you blink to somewhere where they can't see you then they'll lose your trail.
- The order in which you get bone charms is randomised. The locations are always the same but you don't pick up the same ones every time.
- If you're trying to stay at low chaos, be aware that you can get away with killing about 20% of the NPCs on a level before going to high chaos. So don't worry about reloading or anything if you get spotted and have to kill a few guards.
- Stop Time (Slow Time level 2) is probably the second-most useful power after Blink, especially if you're trying to avoid raising alarms and get spotted. Freeze time and rush behind the guard to choke him, or shoot out a spread of darts to all impact at once!
- If a guard turns around when you're behind them and spots you, you have a split second to slit his throat when he's surprised before he enters a combat state - this is still a one-hit-kill.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you're interested in the story, start with Reach (and it's a really good game on its own in terms of story and gameplay). Then get yourself Halo: CE.

Ok, cool. Wouldn't have thought to play out of sequence but I guess if that's the game in chronological order that makes sense. Sounds like Reach would be the best place to start.

Thanks!

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

I PLAYED BATTLETOADS AND ALL I GOT WAS A RASH IN MY ASS

dianekwon posted:

Anyone have any advice for playing .hack Infection? I finally found a copy for pretty cheap off Amazon with its original packaging. Maybe it's not the greatest game around, but I sure did love playing this long ago. The idea of playing a game within a game really hooked me. I never got too far before I ended up losing the game. Sorry bro!

This was part 1 of a 4 game series. So you won't get the full story unless you play all 4 of them.

As for general game play tips, I don't remember anything, it's not that hard, I don't remember a need for much grinding. But be sure to take advantages of elemental weaknesses and your buff abilities.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

How's about Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon? I've been wanting to Gamefly that again.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

About to start Dead Island from gamefly, tips? I am pissed that it doesn't have local coop that's the whole reason I got it, but oh well.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

So, console goons, what should I know about Assassin's Creed 3? Any locations/sidequests that are easy to miss? Any hugs from cool NPCs to be on the lookout for?

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

NihilCredo posted:

So, console goons, what should I know about Assassin's Creed 3? Any locations/sidequests that are easy to miss? Any hugs from cool NPCs to be on the lookout for?

Talk to Benjamin Franklin. He is the biggest goon ever and it's awesome.

Longstreet
May 7, 2008

NihilCredo posted:

There will come times where the icon you're looking for on the map for a specific side-quest won't appear. You have to explore the edges of the map yourself, the viewpoints don't actually reveal everything. I remember this specifically happening for Liberation missions, but it probably applies to others as well.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Elendil004 posted:

About to start Dead Island from gamefly, tips? I am pissed that it doesn't have local coop that's the whole reason I got it, but oh well.

My best tip would be to uninstall the game after you finish the resort area, it becomes a slog. I wanted my money's worth though, so I kept playing. Some tips for later areas:

There are some talents that are a must take. If you play solo, the +exp talents really come in handy. Unlock your "fury" talent right away, and go towards the headstomp talent (I think all characters have it). Don't bother with gun talents, guns are mostly bad in the game anyway. Stamina talents are really helpful, you will be running a lot.

The difficulty spikes horribly when going from Resort area to the City. You'll probably need to "grind" the Resort for a while, just to find some good quality weapons. Even then you'll mostly want to run away from the enemies in the City, or they will overwhelm you.

Have a few different weapons on you, for different types of enemy. A short range blade for normal enemies, a big long hammer for staggering bigger foes and probably something small and stabby for enemies on the ground.

But honestly, once you've done the Resort area shut down the game and you'll have fond memories. If you trudge on you'll burn out and start to hate it because of the difficulty spike.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I didn't feel the City was such a major difficulty spike, and it was probably my favorite part of the game. However, one should never play beyond the City, as what lies beyond is naught but boredom and far too many regular guys with guns.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD

Elendil004 posted:

Jumpkick, Headstomp. Repeat.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

A shrubbery! posted:

Jumpkick, Headstomp. Repeat.

Wisdom. Get your fury ability first, then max out the stamina tree completely next, as the final rung nabs you the ultra-stomp which is the best "weapon" in the game.

Also, everyone hates on the gun play, but if you pick Purna and are conservative with your ammo, guns can be a legitimate option, especially against human opponents. However, you will be somewhat crippled for the 1st half of the game until bullets become more common. As such, get a good blade weapon an a ton of molotovs.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

NihilCredo posted:

If it tells you that your convoy is under attack (shipping stuff to shops for money) and you need to defend it, it wont initially show you where it is. Its in the frontier, so fast travel there. Once you are in the frontier the marker will show up.

Some of the chases are apparently ridiculous, but the only one I have had a problem with so far I took another goons advice and hit the dude with a poison dart. That slowed him enough to catch him.

The peg leg collectable missions are actually fairly fun and a decent length, so they are worth doing.

KoB
May 1, 2009

SiKboy posted:

If it tells you that your convoy is under attack (shipping stuff to shops for money) and you need to defend it, it wont initially show you where it is. Its in the frontier, so fast travel there. Once you are in the frontier the marker will show up.

Some of the chases are apparently ridiculous, but the only one I have had a problem with so far I took another goons advice and hit the dude with a poison dart. That slowed him enough to catch him.

The peg leg collectable missions are actually fairly fun and a decent length, so they are worth doing.

They just released a patch that made chases easier.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
I checked the wiki and the last 5 pages but didn't see anything, so: I just bought the Walking Dead. I have never watched the show, read the comic books, or gotten any spoilers. Should I wait until sundown, turn out the lights, put on headphones, and just play the poo poo out of it? Any stupid bugs or anything I need to avoid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sears Poncho
Oct 8, 2011

Luminous Cow posted:

I checked the wiki and the last 5 pages but didn't see anything, so: I just bought the Walking Dead. I have never watched the show, read the comic books, or gotten any spoilers. Should I wait until sundown, turn out the lights, put on headphones, and just play the poo poo out of it? Any stupid bugs or anything I need to avoid?

Nah, it's in the same continuity as the comics (but not the show) but doesn't really have any direct connection to the plot outside of a couple appearances by comic characters. You don't need to anything about the comics or show to get enjoyment out of it, it's about zombies in a pretty straightforward way.

I guess some people lost achievements or something on steam? Not sure how widespread it was, but I never had any problems and I think they fixed it.