Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Shadowmorn posted:

They die inside it and now the horrors are awake, grumpy and hungry. AND the news papers are claiming their deeds to be a "heroic death", which is only making it worse because more would be heroes are coming to help and... and... :suicide:

And now you can make a fast buck selling heroism liscences and armaments. Charge the suckers for the privilege of saving your rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

I hope the aristocracy is useless and a drain upon your society so as to better reflect reality.

Dreadwind
Dec 1, 2009

Well I at least hope they demand funny things from you, like a clockwork nanny because their kids dare talk to them. Just realized I want a steampunk Mary Poppins, hopefully no malfunctions occur :ese:

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Dreadwind posted:

Just found this thread a few days ago and good lord this game looks insane, and insanely awesome.

Just a few questions, sorry if these were answered (I only skimmed the thread)

-Is the world technically infinite like Minecraft or are there different map sizes? I was imagining once you get a large enough colony you could build distant watch posts and research stations, if any colony can last that long and get that big.

Only question I can personally answer, you generate a world but it's not infinite, as far as I know.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dreadwind posted:

Well I at least hope they demand funny things from you, like a clockwork nanny because their kids dare talk to them. Just realized I want a steampunk Mary Poppins, hopefully no malfunctions occur :ese:

Five minutes of breathable air in a bag of holding. :unsmigghh:

Dr. Demon
Jan 2, 2007

Everybody out of the god damn way. You got a hat full of bomb, a fist full of penis, and a head full of empty.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

All I want to know is 'will it possible to recreate the basic premise of Ghostbusters II?'

A giant walking statue/automaton powered by evil slime does sound like the sort of thing you could create in this game.

Ghaz
Nov 19, 2004

Yay, a reason to live another year. Two questions:

1. Will there be a care-bear mode for those times when you just want to make a cute settlement?

2. WHEN BETA TESTING PLEASE :(

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

These recent posts on the devblog that are more like stories than just development information put me in the mind of the Welcome to Night Vale podcast. nvining, are you listening to that? If not, I think you should check it out.

Also agreeing with the people saying that the blog posts are interesting enough to warrant the price of admission in themselves.

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance
Short post on biomes, mainly due to us being really disorganized this week:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2012/11/15/its-an-odd-world-after-all/

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

It has screenshots! (I think?)

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I'm starting to get worried as gently caress about biting off more than you can chew. I can understand a decision between sustainable and slash-and-burn agriculture, but actual crop rotations and micromanaging the seeds you want to plant? Are you sure you want to keep this?

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

I'm starting to get worried as gently caress about biting off more than you can chew. I can understand a decision between sustainable and slash-and-burn agriculture, but actual crop rotations and micromanaging the seeds you want to plant? Are you sure you want to keep this?
As stated in the comments:

David Baumgart posted:

I’ll say, if we did implement crop rotation the player would absolutely not have to designate each rotation by hand — it’d be more like you tick a ‘rotate crops’ box. Or, even, you’d have to untick it if you badly wanted to run some monoculture cash crop.
That doesn't sound overly complicated to me. Hell, that was a feature back in Age of Empires 2, no reason not to do it here.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Was it really, though? As I remember it, you just developed a "crop rotation" upgrade, which gave more and better crops from the farms. I may be mistaken, though. Something to that effect is really simple to implement, anyway.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

It's possible that it was introduced in the expansion, I don't exactly recall. I do know I could set farms to automatically be replanted when exhausted, though.

Anyway I don't think implementing automatic crop rotation and the ability to choose between different crops is too ambitious.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Anything anybody wants to hear about in today's blogpost? I'm open to suggestions.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

nvining posted:

Anything anybody wants to hear about in today's blogpost? I'm open to suggestions.

Yes.

Tell us how this isn't going to be an unapproachable spergfest like Dwarf fortress. You've probably done this ten times but I'm always happy to hear about it :allears:

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 21, 2012

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

User interface design.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

nvining posted:

Societal interactions.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
More detail about the different factions/groups outside the Empire. Or inside the Empire as well, that's cool too. :)

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
All I want to hear right now is that you aren't thinking of some horrid GUI like in Towns.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I want to hear more about Urchins. What role will they play in the game? Are they a labor force? An undesirable element to be kept contained so the gentry and ladies can safely ignore them?

What happens when Tiny Tim stumbles across a horrible artifact?

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star
Definitely user interface plans. Not just buttons but how to surface the sort of information the simulation runs on. Citizen mood, altitudes, weather conditions, phase of the moon, amount of lasers mounted on the airship, that sort of thing.

Making decisions based on many variables really only works if those variables aren't hidden from view (or 20 shortcut keys away from the other bits of info you need).

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I want to hear more about Urchins. What role will they play in the game? Are they a labor force? An undesirable element to be kept contained so the gentry and ladies can safely ignore them?

I'm thinking 'adorable mascot'.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Ratoslov posted:

I'm thinking emergency food source.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I'm thinking emergency food source.

Ratoslov posted:

Why not both?

nvining
May 30, 2011

Well, we aren't quite ready to talk about the UI just yet. So here are some lovely screenshots and an update on the programming instead:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2012/11/21/technology-status-update/

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Master Blaster runs Programmertown!

Goddamn those tags kill me.

vvvvvvv Also what he said vvvvvvvvvv

Deadmeat5150 fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 22, 2012

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

nvining posted:

Well, we aren't quite ready to talk about the UI just yet. So here are some lovely screenshots and an update on the programming instead:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2012/11/21/technology-status-update/

Well I've just gone from half-chub to full-chub about this game. Please give me the preorder form so I can give you all of my money immediately.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Volmarias posted:

Well I've just gone from half-chub to full-chub about this game. Please give me the preorder form so I can give you all of my money immediately.

... why do people feel compelled to tell me these things?

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

That water is pretty fantastic.

Ghaz
Nov 19, 2004

Mr. nvining: something just occurred to me: I've been playing a lot of Anno the past couple days (I consider it a decent substitute for what CE is looks to be aspiring towards) and by far the most time-consuming task in that is perfecting your layouts: making sure that farms, factories, stockpiles and roads fit together perfectly, with as little wasted space as possible. Obviously, this is a big part of games like this, but when I think of a city where every building's got multiple pipes going in and out (like roads, of a sort) it seems like it would get very cluttered.

Will pipes collide with other structures? Will there be multiple levels (above ground/below ground)? I can't think how it would be feasible to have a city of any great density if pipes were going everwhere... or does it work out fine?

nvining
May 30, 2011

Ghaz posted:

Mr. nvining: something just occurred to me: I've been playing a lot of Anno the past couple days (I consider it a decent substitute for what CE is looks to be aspiring towards) and by far the most time-consuming task in that is perfecting your layouts: making sure that farms, factories, stockpiles and roads fit together perfectly, with as little wasted space as possible. Obviously, this is a big part of games like this, but when I think of a city where every building's got multiple pipes going in and out (like roads, of a sort) it seems like it would get very cluttered.

Will pipes collide with other structures? Will there be multiple levels (above ground/below ground)? I can't think how it would be feasible to have a city of any great density if pipes were going everwhere... or does it work out fine?

Here is the crux of the problem that we're currently arguing about. There are currently a bunch of dynamics lines types - mechanical force axles, steam transmitting pipes, automatic conveyor belts between factories and stockpiles, all that sort of stuff. We're not worried about it getting too complicated - everything, actually, is either "on the ground" or "above the ground", and you can then have local connections over top of things so you can have networks; the problem is trying to figure out what the heck is going on when you go and look at the screen.

We're not sure what the solution is yet. Ultimately, if we have to get rid of the pipes and dynamics because it makes the game visually unreadable, we will; we don't want to, though, because pipes look cool and awesome.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

nvining posted:

... why do people feel compelled to tell me these things?

It's probably the throbbing veins.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

nvining posted:

Why not both?

In what order?

Governor's Journal, March 15 1774

After much discussion, we have finally decided upon a flag that would represent us as a province and pay suitable homage to the generosity of our corporate patron, Hormel's Finest, who generates substantial revenue through the operation of a tinnery, employs many of our workforce, and (last, but not least) owns and operates the Home for Wayward Orphans. The upper-left corner of the flag will proudly display a tin of
'Spurchin!', the lovely tinned meat product that means even the poorest citizen can afford to put meat on the table.

In other news, I have ordered that the artifact be moved from the laboratory to the sitting room of my mansion. I fear the scientists mean it harm, so it must be under my personal supervision at all times.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Hello Sailor posted:

In what order?

Governor's Journal, March 15 1774

After much discussion, we have finally decided upon a flag that would represent us as a province and pay suitable homage to the generosity of our corporate patron, Hormel's Finest, who generates substantial revenue through the operation of a tinnery, employs many of our workforce, and (last, but not least) owns and operates the Home for Wayward Orphans. The upper-left corner of the flag will proudly display a tin of
'Spurchin!', the lovely tinned meat product that means even the poorest citizen can afford to put meat on the table.

In other news, I have ordered that the artifact be moved from the laboratory to the sitting room of my mansion. I fear the scientists mean it harm, so it must be under my personal supervision at all times.

... well, what do you people think Crimble is made out of, anyway?

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

nvining posted:

We're not sure what the solution is yet. Ultimately, if we have to get rid of the pipes and dynamics because it makes the game visually unreadable, we will; we don't want to, though, because pipes look cool and awesome.

My suggestion for this is have options for making things transparent when necessary, similar to say, Roller Coaster Tycoon where you can make rides see-through when you are laying paths. Have options to make pipes and other connectors become see-through or completely invisible when you want them. Also nice would be if you click on a building, make all the pipes etc. not connected to the building see-through so you can quickly see what the building is connected to. Also make sure it's really obvious in the UI that you've switched off visible pipes!

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010

chiefnewo posted:

My suggestion for this is have options for making things transparent when necessary, similar to say, Roller Coaster Tycoon where you can make rides see-through when you are laying paths. Have options to make pipes and other connectors become see-through or completely invisible when you want them. Also nice would be if you click on a building, make all the pipes etc. not connected to the building see-through so you can quickly see what the building is connected to. Also make sure it's really obvious in the UI that you've switched off visible pipes!

This is a good idea. Also, maybe coloring the pipes? And making it so different colored can't interact, and so on. (It's the way RedPower for Minecraft deals with the whole "wires are all samey, and wires interact with each other all the time" problem).

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

chiefnewo posted:

This seems like it would be good, plus losing pipes would be very disappointing.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I don't want to lose the pipes! Pipes and cogs and dials and gauges and all those thinks are HALLMARK of good steampunk. Ok ok ok, "good" steampunk is sort of hard to find but still. We're going to be allowed to dig, right? Is it possible to move some pipes underground? Make a highly complicated steamtunnel system beneath the colony where the horrid mutants dwell

Can we also have mimes? San Diego has a ton of steampunk mime groups that either sing or dances or do classical miming and most of them are really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rydash
Dec 23, 2011

You got a real problem in here, gonna cost ya extra.
Maybe pipes could have a simple transparency slider? (I don't know, design is hard. I like the pipes, but even with their nifty bends, I don't want to be trying to pick my proverbial building grubs out of a metal spiderweb.)

• Locked thread