Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
I have 3000 hours logged in Microsoft Flight Simulator. Not the ones with fighter jets, the one where you fly a Boeing.

I was also certified as a Virtual Air Traffic Controller, where sit behind a radar screen and issue instructions and clearances to other flight sim nerds on the Internets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
I also played Ragnarok

Thwack! fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Apr 30, 2013

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh, I'm also a total (western) animated film sperg. All the artbooks I can grab, the Disney Archive Series books on backgrounds and design, a DVD copy of every member of the Disney canon, imported DVDs from Germany and Italy, all that stuff. Thank god I do it, otherwise people might not overlook my actual character in lieu of teasing me for what I enjoy.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I spent a summer teaching a girl that probably liked me how to play Magic the Gathering.

I have a whole bunch of meticulously painted military miniatures (not army men drat it), about 200 guys, 8 tanks, two armoured cars, a handful of "soft skinned" vehicles, and a whole bunch of diorama elements. And this is in 1:35th scale, so not only does it take up a whole bookshelf from top to bottom, I can't even use them for wargaming.

I have 17 thousand battles logged on World of Tanks. I tell myself it's not as bad as World of Warcraft, at least.

My favourite childhood book was the Complete Encyclopedia of Tanks and Self Propelled Artillery.

Tanks are neat, drat it.

Kal
Jun 3, 2007

I really hated creative writing assignments in middle school for some reason. This one time I remember we got assigned to write a page about anything we wanted, and I filled the page with "BOOOOM BOOOOOM BLAAAAM" etc and ended it with "and so the bomb went off and everyone died" or something to that effect. :downs:

When the teacher told me to write a real story I got upset and handed in a note saying "I refuse to do this dumb assignment". I think she just let it go after that if I remember correctly. Oh well, at least I never wrote any terrible fan fiction. :shobon:

General Panic
Jan 28, 2012
AN ERORIST AGENT

Pick posted:

The main theme was "social institutions may be bad and seem illogical but there's always a reason they are the way they are now."

I understand Edmund Burke's Reflections on The Revolution in France is similar, but without elves or cannibals.

And knowing this is probably pretty nerdy in itself.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

General Panic posted:

I understand Edmund Burke's Reflections on The Revolution in France is similar, but without elves or cannibals.

And knowing this is probably pretty nerdy in itself.

Philosophical conservatism in the form of a teen's magnum opus...now I have to read this.

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.
I was on a train once reading the silmarillion when a fairly attractive girl sat next to me. She sat quietly for about five minutes and then turned and smiled. I looked up and smiled back, then buried my face in the book again. She asked my what time it was, and I said "it's 4:30." and returned to the book again. She then asked, "Do you go to school downtown?" and I replied "Yes." After a few more minutes, she said, "I think I was in a class with you last semester." I looked up again and realized she was this cute girl I had in a film class. I stammered, "Oh hey I didn't realize it was you because I was reading." she said, "Yeah it's me." She asked what I was reading, and I started telling her about Luthien Tenuviel and Breen. I basically sperged about how he fell in love with her at first sight, because she was the fairest blah blah blah and realized how much of an idiot I must have sounded like. I clammed up and she said, "oh cool." and then said she had to go. She stood up and literally walked to the end of the car and sat back down.

This was about 14 years ago, so I chalk it up to being geeky(ER) when I was younger.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

General Panic posted:

I can now take pride knowing I predicted the "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" movement.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

Mulefisk posted:

Girl i liked invited me over to her house when I was 13. Spent the entire time playing The Sims on her computer.

I know this is from a long way back, but goddamnit me too! I remember that everyone else (read: parents) were outside and I was playing The Sims with her. She excused herself to just behind a screen in order to change into her bathing suit, and made comments about how I could have peeked in on her repeatedly. Stupid 13 year old me.

Lege
Oct 12, 2005

hurf im badass
About ten years ago in my prime teen years I was biking down a street and passed a couple of cute girls from our school. They smiled at me and said hello as I went by. I made no effort to slow down, I just turned my head and muttered a "Hi" as a reply. I was going to meet a friend and we were going to play Runescape, I had my priorities dammit

About a year after that I remember a girl from our class coming to talk to me at our "graduation" "party". She said she was sad that we were probably never going to meet again, and without the slightest pause I slammed this amazing piece of conversation at her: "Yeah, I think I'll manage". She was right, we never met after that.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Lege posted:

About ten years ago in my prime teen years I was biking down a street and passed a couple of cute girls from our school. They smiled at me and said hello as I went by. I made no effort to slow down, I just turned my head and muttered a "Hi" as a reply. I was going to meet a friend and we were going to play Runescape, I had my priorities dammit

Disregarding your destination, I think you did the less geeky thing here by not screeching to a halt and trying to join their conversation.

A few too many posters in this thread think they would have been having tons of sex if they had been paying a little more attention to girls. Not calling you out specifically, but I'm saying it's something to keep in mind as you post.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I skipped a whole week of High School including a fairly important football game to play GTA: San Andreas when it released.

To be fair, I beat the game in 5 days and I don't know anyone else who beat it faster than me :smug:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Oh super hot cheerleader chick has signed my senior yearbook and said how great I was and wrote her phone number? I'm sure she wouldn't want me to call her or anything :downs:

- RPGs constantly in high school. Leading nations, leading post-apocalyptic groups, leading star wars races.

- Played Risk, Axis&Allies, chess club, academic bowl.

- wore shorts with socks that weren't ankle socks

- turned down a hot chick that was interested in me (like straight verbally telling me) because I was too smart for her :smug:

- corollary to the above, didn't touch a boob or kiss a girl for 2 years after that.

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
Sperg Confessions: A girl talked to me she totally wanted to bang

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I once wrote self-insert Love Hina fan fiction. Also I wrote an essay on MGS3 Snake Eater for my Year 10 English exam. I think for another English exam I talked in front of my whole grade about the movie Akira and how it related to change.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

In high school my girlfriend said she didn't want to have sex and we didn't have sex, I didn't realize she was playing hard to get. Such a spergy loser you guys!

True story though, I once had a long conversation with someone and didn't realize she was blind until she walked away with a white cane. I thought she didn't shake my hand because she was distracted, and didn't notice the dark glasses. I got treatment from a young age for my literal Asperger's, but I can still be ridiculously unaware of other people.

Pallet Pusher
Nov 9, 2004
From age 13-19, I played TFC (Team Fortress Classic, Half Life mod) and took it very seriously. Played in competitive clans, practiced, leagues, all that. I even took about an 18 hour bus drive to Dallas to play in a tournament hosted by CPL.

Before that I failed my 8th grade wood shop class because I'd spend the entire class talking to my fellow nerd friend about topics like our favorite AOL punters (progs is what they were called back then I think), trojans, and places to download warez.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
One time when I was 11 or whatever and actually played Neopets I got myself an internet girlfriend who was so obviously in it for all the lovely items I was giving, but I had no idea. I felt so cool and popular :(

When I was in high school pretty much every English class had a vocab component which ramped up for SAT prep junior/senior year but still consisted of similar activities. In senior year we got 25 new words each week and had to write a sentence for each. Since this was kind of boring and dumb, and I was way too cool to take AP English, my friends and I would hold contests trying to write the least amount of sentences (putting multiple words in each, which the teacher overlooked if it made sense). After that was eventually played out, we started dicking around and writing 25 sentences with a common theme. One of the weeks I wrote 25 sentences entirely about Vin Diesel but hey, he's such a hunk~ And then I read all 25 of them to the class for bonus points on a quiz.

Same class, near when we had to take the SATs, we spent entire classes working on (non-graded) writing prompts as prep work. Nobody, as far as I could tell, took these seriously. I wrote a long-winded memoir base on Planescape for one, completely ignoring the prompt itself.

I put down experience programming and administrating for some lovely MUD on my resume, forgetting that it has become a den of cybersex and other horrors. I had my reservations about it but put it down anyway since it was my only real field "work" experience outside of school. It has since been removed.

Any other potentially embarrassing poo poo I pretty much kept to myself or similarly-inclined friends. I was also too big a baby to go to any dances, including prom, thanks to being extremely concerned with accidentally making a fool out of myself.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I think my nerdiest moments in life are:

• Collecting and playing Warhammer/Warhammer 40,000. In my garage I suspect I have a couple of thousand pounds worth of miniature models that I have made, painted and played with. Not only did I play with them, I even attended tournaments.

• I organised and GM'd a Rogue Trader (Warhammer 40K again) pen and paper RPG. It was a group of 8 people and the group actually lasted about 8 months before RL issues broke it up. On the train one time I spent my 2.5 hour journey planning out a story for them all to follow.

• I play EVE: Online. For anyone who doesn't know what this is it's a spaceship game which has a metagame so large you get sucked into it. Explaining to your friends why you're knackered because you were up till 2am protecting a virtual space station is awkward.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I have a few of these~

Back in college there was an MMO coming out that I wanted to play and I seriously contemplated breaking up with my girlfriend at the time so I'd have more time to play. This is well known among my friends even now, and they largely agree that I should have because she and I were a terrible match, but what they generally don't know is that I considered it at a time when things were actually still pretty good between us.

I've taken days off work for video games before (not even at launch; I called in sick one day in the last few years because I had an itch to play the original Xcom), and more times than I'd care to admit I've clocked 40-42 hours in a new game within the first 48 hours that I have it. Usually this happens with games that have a shitload of mindless single-player grinding like Disgaea.

Like I'd imagine most people do, I have a number of tunes that I mindlessly whistle when I'm idle or doing something menial. Most of mine tend to be really obscure video game crap, but after twenty years of this song being on the list and never acknowledged, my wife actually identified it. I was seriously impressed and a little surprised. I don't feel too bad about that though. :unsmith:

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
E: the world doesn't need to know about my nerd rage.

Diametunim fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Nov 23, 2012

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

I was once involved in an IRC Star Trek roleplay community.

I almost didn't post this in case there are others here who did that: please don't talk to me, I have put those times behind me now.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

In high school, I wrote a paper on the Boer War, I knew nothing about it, and just picked it out of a huge list of topics because it sounded interesting. I wrote a decent essay about it (by high school standards), entitled, "A Dirty Little War", focusing on the tactics and atrocities employed.

My teacher put it online, along with all the other papers written for the assignment (1996) and included a comment section. I received quite a few well reasoned comments and critiques from historians and scholars, many of whom questioned my choice of title, arguing that it amounted to a flippant dismissal to an important conflict....not realizing that they were arguing with a dumbass high school student.

I trolled the poo poo out of all of them in my responses and never admitted that I was a know-nothing high school student. My teacher read the comments and my responses and decided that he wouldn't put any other student papers on the internet.

Disgusting LARP
Nov 13, 2012

GuestBob posted:

I was once involved in an IRC Star Trek roleplay community.

I almost didn't post this in case there are others here who did that: please don't talk to me, I have put those times behind me now.

I feel oddly compelled to seek out and partake in one of these communities now that i know they exist :negative:

Springly
Dec 10, 2011

Disgusting LARP posted:

I feel oddly compelled to seek out and partake in one of these communities now that i know they exist :negative:

I'm googling it right now. :negative:

Also having a hard time thinking of my nerdiest story. Maybe one of the worst is that I affected the head-scratching embarrassment gesture from anime, and now it's so fused into my brain that it is what I actually do when embarrassed.

Which is all the time.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
Oh man.

Played over 1000 hours each in Morrowind, Oblivion, Pokemon, Team Fortress 2, and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. I metagamed relentlessly and got on par with professional players in TF2 and CoD but never actually played in any leagues because I hate competition and only wanted to stomp on less skilled players.

Spent my summers playing video games to the point where I would walk outside and honestly be in pain from how bright it was. I live next to the ocean and I don't think I ever went to the beach between 9 and 18 years old.

I wore the same cheap, ratty, disgusting hoodie all through middle school. Then I got a cheap, ratty, disgusting leather jacket I wore for the first 3 years of high school.

Had about 10 accounts on GameFAQs, RPed as a Goku robot thing on one of the most obscure boards on the site. Then I spent years dicking around in the talentless, angry world of GameFAQs spinoffs. In what was basically the prototype for 4chan and all its ilk, I learned the art of being a mindlessly destructive piece of poo poo (as in, breaking open corporate websites and giving widespread access to databases of credit cards and code) and valuable scripting skills that I have never used again. I was so sleep deprived from coding, getting banned from GameFAQs, and flaming people over internet code that I would deliriously mumble about GameFAQs spinoffs going through my morning routine.

One time I got a hair straightener and makeup to try and hide my acne for the first day of school. I am a straight male.

I turned down every single attempt a girl made to have physical contact or sex with me until I was 18. One time I was the only remaining guy at one of my girl friend's birthday party; we were playing Truth or Dare and they were all daring me to make out with them and I went "Heh, nope." the entire time. I was too busy crushing on the biggest whores (think trains, etc) of the school instead!

Even as recent as last year I would turn down sex and hanging out with my girlfriend to raid in World of Warcraft! Thankfully I've managed to thoroughly burn myself out on MMOs after raiding 3 nights a week through 2 expansions.

Oh, and after seeing all the fanfiction stories, I've built an entire personal narrative over the majority of my life inspired by Dragon Ball Z, Pokemon, The Elder Scrolls, Skies of Arcadia, and whatever video game of choice I was playing at the time. Birth, death, romance, interstellar war, and lots of shonen-style battles. It has a cohesive plot, timeline, and background spanning billions of years. Whenever I feel like de-stressing I'll still pace around adding to it or revisiting arcs in the story. I've never written anything down about it or told a single person about it in real life and I'm pretty sure I've spent thousands of hours pacing around narrating it. As spergy as it is I'm actually proud of it; any non-original characters are in completely tertiary roles and even the settings are only loosely based on Elder Scrolls. It's my own personal way of being like Ulillillia.

The Coxie
Feb 14, 2008
Snappity snap, aw yeah!
I stayed home from my end of high school formal and played Unreal Tournament instead :hellyeah:

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
My playtime for Final Fantasy 11 is 1250 days. Because of this game i broke 2 ps2s (diskread) 2 360s (redring), wore out two Nyko Itype two controllers, and smashed a keyboard (windows key brings up the xbox hud).

I have bought Zelda: OoT 6 times, including buying two separate 3DSes, an ambassador one and the collectors edition one.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL

Totally TWISTED posted:

Oh super hot cheerleader chick has signed my senior yearbook and said how great I was and wrote her phone number? I'm sure she wouldn't want me to call her or anything :downs:

Oh boy, gotta remind me of that one. Me and this one girl had a pretty nice nerd friendship going for a couple years in high school. Even saw a movie together; it was Daredevil and her mom dropped us off, but still. I think it was senior year when her older sister who used to be in the same club we were both in came to school sometime when they were passing out yearbooks. She opened my book and wrote a phone number under the huge paragraph where her younger sister had talked about how much she liked spending time with me.

"Listen to me. Call my sister."

Welp. For whatever reason, I didn't. For years. :smith:

Later I'd find out she went through a few boyfriends before finding a keeper, because the first ones just plain couldn't handle how kinky she was.

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
I was addicted to Dance Dance Revolution my freshman year of college. The problem was I dressed like your typical frat boy. Cargo shorts, Polo shirt, flip flops and hemp necklace (bonus points for frosted tips)

I used to love walking up to a game, seeing some sweaty kid in one of those screen print button ups with Goku on the front. He would eye me all "What are you doing here commoner...."

Id loose horribly but drat it felt good.

I was also hopelessly addicted to Diablo 2. Id be at a bar day dreaming of making a Bonermancer or Spearbarb....

McMyke
Mar 3, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I did this when I was in high school.

http://www.hanksadventure.20m.com/

and another website I'm too ashamed to reveal

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

I installed Warcraft III on school computers and played with my friends instead of doing work, which I only did on the last week of school before college. I wasn't surprised that I barely passed thanks to insomnia's gift of not letting me sleep and forcing me to work. Thankfully anything with 'Warcraft' in the title was a female vaccine so I never stupidly didn't get that someone liked me, except for that one girl who followed our teachers home and watched them for hours. I'm glad I stayed far away from her.

Gumog
Mar 20, 2009
When I first met my girlfriend, I told her all about my EVE internet spaceships. Somehow she stuck with me and we're still together.

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:
I haven't done anything for my birthday in years other than sit in playing video games.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
In a music class, for our final we had to write a paper that discussed the structure and composition of an album of our choice. I did mine on Dream Theater's Scenes From a Memory, and went into so much ridiculous technical detail, and it probably ended up being around 25 pages. I got 150% credit for it, though. Oh, the days of being a prog nerd. I am glad that time has passed. loving embarrassing.

In a lot of English classes I did my best :krakken: Lovecraft :krakken: impressions (minus the racism) whenever we had to write fiction.

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:
I was the only person in my science class to score 100% on the sex education test in school. :smug:

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

A Sloth posted:

I was the only person in my science class to score 100% on the sex education test in school. :smug:
I was 9 or 10 when I was called in to the room to tell my older brother's friends what a clitoris is. Mom's anatomy books FTW :smuggo:

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Gumog posted:

When I first met my girlfriend, I told her all about my EVE internet spaceships. Somehow she stuck with me and we're still together.

Ditto this - except I broke up with EVE. Ladies respect BS V, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purpleandgold
Apr 13, 2012
I think this is more of a moment of pride than a confession: got my then-girlfriend to play World of Warcraft after telling her she looked like a blood elf. Funny enough, it ended up greatly helping her self-esteem.

Somewhere in college, I took a history class on the Middle Ages. The professor handed out a survey on the first day of class, and one of the questions is "why did you take this class." My answer was along the lines of "most of what I know about the Middle Ages came from Age of Empires, so I'd like to know the actual history." A friend/WoW guildmate wrote on hers, "Because most of what I know came from Assassin's Creed."

• Locked thread