Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spider_ross.avi
Jan 15, 2008

nnGUH

Pope Guilty posted:

This is maybe not strictly on-topic, but it's a clip from an old BBC documentary on the manipulation of tape to create innovative music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4ea0sBrw6M

You can see the full documentary here.

havent seen this one. really awesome.
here is another great documentary. i think you would like it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KkW8Ul7Q1I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Furret Basket posted:

Tympanic is pretty much a whos-who of fantastic artists. They're the only labels whose newsletter I've signed up for. That's actually quite worth doing actually because otherwise it just falls under the radar.

SPEAKING OF TYMPANIK AUDIO

There is a pre-order on now for the upcoming 5-year anniversary compilation! Including tracks by a lot of great people! Also, me!

quote:

Tympanik Audio celebrates it's 5-year anniversary with this massive compilation featuring 42 new and unreleased songs from it's beloved artist roster.

New songs by: Stendeck, Fractional, Autoclav1.1, Displacer, Haujobb, Anklebiter, Candle Nine, r.roo, Dirk Geiger, Lucidstatic, Erode, c.db.sn, Aphorism, SE, Flint Glass, Endif, Flaque, Worms of the Earth, Tapage, Known Rebel, Normotone, Comaduster, Undermathic, Tineidae, Disharmony, ESA, Zentriert ins Antlitz, Unterm Rad, Integral, Totakeke, Meander, [Haven], C.H. District, Ex_Tension, Geomatic, Access To Arasaka, Famine, Black Lung, Opposite Exhale, Zeller, Ad·ver·sary, and Subheim.

http://tympanikaudio.bandcamp.com/album/accretion

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Twiin posted:

There is a pre-order on now for the upcoming 5-year anniversary compilation! Including tracks by a lot of great people! Also, me!

Nice. I'm usually not that much into compilations (especially ones that are this ginormous), but I miiiiiiiiiiiiiight have to consider having a look at this.

Twiin, I hope you don't mind me asking, but how much money do the artists make on compilations like these? Do you get like a lump sum for your track or a cut of each sale or what? Just curious.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Nice. I'm usually not that much into compilations (especially ones that are this ginormous), but I miiiiiiiiiiiiiight have to consider having a look at this.

Twiin, I hope you don't mind me asking, but how much money do the artists make on compilations like these? Do you get like a lump sum for your track or a cut of each sale or what? Just curious.

I have personally never gotten any money for participating in a comp. Physical comps I have gotten a lot of CDs that I can sell at shows, but digital comps in my experience are just kind of a gift to the comp organizer. Which in this case is my label, so that's fine.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Twiin posted:

This looks awesome. Do you know if there'll be a physical edition too? I'm gonna buy the digital but if there's an actual CD at some point I'll probably get that as well because I'm Stuck In The Past that way.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

Twiin posted:

Yay new Zentriert ins Antlitz!

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Danger - Octopus! posted:

This looks awesome. Do you know if there'll be a physical edition too? I'm gonna buy the digital but if there's an actual CD at some point I'll probably get that as well because I'm Stuck In The Past that way.

I think it is unlikely! But they might change their mind if they hear that a lot of people want a physical release.

IN OTHER NEWS:

Coilhouse posted:

Once industrial music had fully transitioned from avant-garde venues into nightclubs, the stench of Axe body spray began to dominate the subculture as a certain douchey, bro-tastic vibe emerged. Where the goth/industrial scene had once existed as a safe haven for artists, weirdos, outcasts, geeks, dreamers and rebels, a disturbing trend of sexism, racism and anti-intellectualism is driving people out.

http://coilhouse.net/2012/11/on-misogyny-in-industrial-music/

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Nice article.

The really weird thing for me is that the scene (at least in the UK) seems way less popular generally than it was around a decade ago at the peak of futurepop when you had tons of young cyberkids with bright clothes, fake hair and big shoes (yeah okay I maybe did at least some of that, but anyway).

A lot of the time now there seems to be less of an 18/19 year old crowd at clubs and gigs and more people in their twenties and thirties (maybe this is just the clubs/gigs I go to as a 30something though, YMMV, and I have no idea how the scene is in other countries).

You'd sort of hope that with a slightly older scene, you'd get less of this kind of thing since really, OTT "edgy" poo poo like this isn't something clever or shocking any more unless you're a teenager. I guess it's just become normalised in the scene though :smith:

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

kangal posted:

Apart from a few tracks off the B-13 soundtrack, I've never been able to find Da Octopusss in the US (or anywhere else). They claim they just released a new album, so I'm hoping something turns up soon.

It's out for purchase :)

http://daoctopusss.bandcamp.com/

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Really enjoying the new FLA, Dead When I Found Her, and Prometheus Burning. Oh yeah.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Woah, Neuroticfish are back! Also, headlining Resistanz 2013!

Edit: I'm pretty excited about seeing them, Seabound, iVardensphere, Voster, Chainreactor, Alter Der Ruine, Cease2Exist and Aesthetic Perfection. The rest, less so. But that's plenty to be going on with! And more bands I want to see than this year, actually, woohoo!

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 23, 2012

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Twiin posted:

I think it is unlikely! But they might change their mind if they hear that a lot of people want a physical release.

IN OTHER NEWS:

So the guy who directed the Throat Full of Glass video for Combichrist is called Chad. Why am I not surprised?

Love this article by the way.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Hedenius posted:

So the guy who directed the Throat Full of Glass video for Combichrist is called Chad. Why am I not surprised?

Just watched that video. :stare:

Maybe its just because all the goth/industrial stuff died out here years ago, but I don't understand who even listens to this crap.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

Kids.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
So, uh, what kind of software would I use to remix two songs together? Assume I'm terrible, my idea is terrible, the source songs are terrible and that nobody would like or listen to the result.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Fruityloops if you want to do it really badly, Ableton Live if you want ultimately want to attempt a respectable result.

But I'm not an expert, and there's that whole Musician's Lounge subforum.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

boo_radley posted:

So, uh, what kind of software would I use to remix two songs together? Assume I'm terrible, my idea is terrible, the source songs are terrible and that nobody would like or listen to the result.

I hope you plan to share this abomination to us here..

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

deong posted:

I hope you plan to share this abomination to us here..

I know what he's up to and I am giggling madly at how awful it'll be. :D

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Icon of Coil sucks too. :smugbert:

"If I'm not dead enough for life, am I alive enough for death?" Seriously?

Nice article.

The really weird thing for me is that the scene (at least in the UK) seems way less popular generally than it was around a decade ago at the peak of futurepop when you had tons of young cyberkids with bright clothes, fake hair and big shoes (yeah okay I maybe did at least some of that, but anyway).

A lot of the time now there seems to be less of an 18/19 year old crowd at clubs and gigs and more people in their twenties and thirties (maybe this is just the clubs/gigs I go to as a 30something though, YMMV, and I have no idea how the scene is in other countries).

You'd sort of hope that with a slightly older scene, you'd get less of this kind of thing since really, OTT "edgy" poo poo like this isn't something clever or shocking any more unless you're a teenager. I guess it's just become normalised in the scene though :smith:
I don't have an explanation except that the OTT "edgy" poo poo might have come about as a reaction to the more introspective music of futurepop. Instead of "Through my eyes stare into me/I bear my heart for all to see" you have (unfortunately) "Now you want it in your rear end as I spit in your face." The good thing is that I suspect we're now seeing a big backlash against that.

Also, I've read some reporting on music-oriented subcultures/lifestyles that found that the goth-industrial scene does skew older. I think the best explanation given was that people tend to age into it rather than age out of it. It doesn't go out of its way to identify with youth, and the music doesn't tend to so much resist the "system" as reflect it at its worst. While there are political themes, they're more ambiguous, allusive and ambivalent. Whereas an anti-fascist punk band would hit you over the head with a sledgehammer about why fascism sucks, an industrial group like Laibach would dress up in fascist uniforms in a ridiculous satire and over-identify with the target in order to provoke the audience. Or it'd be a kind of anguished reflection at the horror of fascism.

I don't know how exactly this translates into age, but the more ambiguous politics and reliance on aesthetics in industrial music to make a point could keep people involved for longer. A punk kid would just incorporate the "gently caress fascism" into his ordinary politics as he aged while dropping the outwardly rebellious image. But a gothic-industrial fan would incorporate elements of the style into their everyday image while toning down the more radical expressions of it, as the style is more important to him/her in defining what the message is than the punk kid, if that makes sense? It's harder to incorporate the ambiguity of industrial music into other aspects of your life like you would punk. You've gotta wear the tactical pants.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Also, being employed in IT is something most 16 year olds can't do.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I had a theory once that the industrial scene consisted entirely of industrial bands going to each others shows.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

I had a theory once that the industrial scene consisted entirely of industrial bands going to each others shows.

The noise/drone/power electronics scene in the UK (which isn't something I'm into, but a couple of friends are) certainly seems to be that way.

Pope Guilty posted:

Also, being employed in IT is something most 16 year olds can't do.

One of my IT-working mates came to Infest this year. He's not remotely into the music, he just thought it might be fun. Apparently he spent a large chunk of the Sunday night standing at the bar, talking to some guy who works for The Register about encryption. The scene really is like some kind of nerd convention at times. (disclaimer: I don't actually work in IT. gently caress you people who can have wacky haircuts 24/7)

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I finally took the time to buy and listen to Necro Facility's Wintermute (for a Swedish course I'm taking - need to write an essay on something Swedish).

:stare: why didn't I listen to this sooner

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!

I finally took the time to buy and listen to Necro Facility's Wintermute (for a Swedish course I'm taking - need to write an essay on something Swedish).

:stare: why didn't I listen to this sooner

Wintermute is one of my favorite albums of 2011. I was totally not expecting it to be one of my favorite albums of 2011.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Twiin posted:

IN OTHER NEWS:

One part of the article seems out of step with the rest:

quote:

But something happened. Once industrial music had fully transitioned from avant-garde venues into nightclubs, the stench of Axe body spray began to dominate the subculture as a certain douchey, bro-tastic vibe emerged. Where the goth/industrial scene had once existed as a safe haven for artists, weirdos, outcasts, geeks, dreamers and rebels, a disturbing trend of sexism, racism and anti-intellectualism is driving people out.

As much as I'd like to blame misogyny in industrial music on those loving jocks invading it, I think a more likely theory is that the industrial scene has always carried an uneasy balance between coopting violent, militaristic imagery as a protest and embracing it for the power fantasy it provides. The fascism is coming from inside the scene!

W424
Oct 21, 2010
I have the 2 disc signed version of Wintermute that's never been played, I heard the song previews after ordering it and I have no desire to hear it even once.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

W424 posted:

I have the 2 disc signed version of Wintermute that's never been played, I heard the song previews after ordering it and I have no desire to hear it even once.

I'd be interested in buying it off you. PM me if you're selling :)

W424
Oct 21, 2010

I'd be interested in buying it off you. PM me if you're selling :)

PM sent.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Halloween Jack posted:

As much as I'd like to blame misogyny in industrial music on those loving jocks invading it, I think a more likely theory is that the industrial scene has always carried an uneasy balance between coopting violent, militaristic imagery as a protest and embracing it for the power fantasy it provides. The fascism is coming from inside the scene!
Good point. Not the least of which is that "artists, weirdos, outcasts, geeks, dreamers and rebels" can be sexists and racists too. Actually some of the worst ones. The Nazis have an image of being hyper-masculine jocks but a lot of them were like weird art school dropouts, failed poets and writers, "bohemian" conspiracy theorists and so on. It's a mistake to think of "rebel" as synonymous with "left-wing."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I should have included this in my last post, but I wanted to specifically say that "Weirdos, Outcasts, Geeks, Dreamers and Rebels" often harbor disturbing power fantasies and seek empowerment from fascist, misogynist conventions.

To be honest, I can't support what some bands put in the imagery they present, regardless of whether they claim it's ironic and regardles of whether they mean it. Boyd Rice, for example, comes across to me as a creepy idiot with delusions of intellectualism, who does inappropriate things and claims he was taking the piss if he gets called out.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Halloween Jack posted:

Boyd Rice, for example, comes across to me as a creepy idiot with delusions of intellectualism, who does inappropriate things and claims he was taking the piss if he gets called out.

Why I can't imagine why you'd think that

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Halloween Jack posted:

I should have included this in my last post, but I wanted to specifically say that "Weirdos, Outcasts, Geeks, Dreamers and Rebels" often harbor disturbing power fantasies and seek empowerment from fascist, misogynist conventions.

To be honest, I can't support what some bands put in the imagery they present, regardless of whether they claim it's ironic and regardles of whether they mean it. Boyd Rice, for example, comes across to me as a creepy idiot with delusions of intellectualism, who does inappropriate things and claims he was taking the piss if he gets called out.

I went and read and his Wiki, what a total tool. "Gee these people paid to see me, how can I piss them off the most?!" :downs:

quote:

He has also used found sounds, played at a volume just below the threshold of pain, to entice his audiences to endure his high decibel sound experiments.

Rice coupled his aural assaults with psychological torture on audiences in Den Haag, the Netherlands, by shining exceedingly bright lights in their faces that were deliberately placed just out of reach. As their frustration mounted, Rice states that he:

..continued to be friendly to the audience, which made them even madder, because they were so mad and I didn't care! They were shaking their fists at me, and I thought that at any minute there'd be a riot. So I took it as far as I thought I could, and then thanked them and left

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

I just put my track up on SoundCloud, FWIW.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah Boyd Rice is a creepy idiot. But I'd differ slightly if I'm reading you right. It's the irony and "I didn't really mean it" that angers me the most about fascist artists, not the fascism so much. Of course I disagree with fascism. But I don't think fascism is necessarily incompatible with making great art, or for example, because Leni Riefenstahl directed fascist propaganda films, that she didn't make great films that could be admired for their own sake. Her movies were incredible and ground-breaking even though they propagated Nazi ideology. They went on to influence Star Wars, right?

This is a different thing from "support" though. Maybe "defend the artistic value of" or something like that. I don't particularly like ecclesiastical authority or medieval feudalism as systems of government either but I can get awed by some cathedrals. Death in June have put Ustasha symbols on their albums, if I'm remembering correctly, or some other Croatian fascist symbolism, and plenty of Strasserist stuff. But they seem to get more of a pass because Douglas P can write interesting songs. They make good art. Nachtmahr doesn't because their music sucks.

George Orwell wrote (I've included a link) that "the most one can ask of [a writer] is that he shall genuinely believe in what he is saying, and that it shall not be something blazingly silly." Fascism is evil and wicked but it's not crazy, y'know? You can get why someone would be into it, or you can try and understand what about it appeals to people, in order to to better understand what it is and why it's as dangerous as it is. But guys like Boyd Rice and Thomas Rainer front this image like they're just kidding and what they're saying isn't what they really believe. So why should I listen to what they're saying? It's like: Are you loving kidding me? At least stand by your own art you worthless poo poo.

And if he did, if he said "I enjoy beating women" and really meant it instead of backtracking by saying it's ironic, no one would listen to him because they'd realize who they were really listening to.

http://orwell.ru/library/reviews/swift/english/e_swift (A bit long so skip to the last graf.)

Sorta related:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BZl8ScVYvA
:allears:

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 4, 2012

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I always liked Laibach's response when being asked if they were fascists. 'We're fascists in the same sense that Hitler was a painter.'

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

While that is definitely true I think that also the fact industrial music became more 'mainstream' and less strictly political lead to this sort of thing too. The marketization and depoliticization of any music scene leads to it appealing to the least common denominator as well as removing any sort of 'real' transgressive aspects to it, which leads to people like the Nachtmahr dude donning fascist uniforms while simultaneously claiming that he 'isn't political' or whatever his dumb excuse is. Instead of using that imagery for a transgressive political and social message, it has become an empty signifier for the sake of having a signifier. Industrial music is considered much more 'mainstream' now than it was in, say, 1990, which means many designers, producers, and labels are going to turn it into a product to be marketed, not an establishment-challenging or culturally subversive work of art.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Getting away from politics for a moment - Kraftwerk are in residence at Tate Modern in February http://www.tate.org.uk/whats-on/tate-modern/music-and-live-performance/kraftwerk-catalogue-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8

Edit: gently caress, the two nights I would want to go are weekdays I can't get off work and would be the most popular nights as well (Radioactivity and Trans-Europe Express)

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 5, 2012

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Getting away from politics for a moment - Kraftwerk are in residence at Tate Modern in February http://www.tate.org.uk/whats-on/tate-modern/music-and-live-performance/kraftwerk-catalogue-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8

Edit: gently caress, the two nights I would want to go are weekdays I can't get off work and would be the most popular nights as well (Radioactivity and Trans-Europe Express)

I actually figured I'd try to get tickets to one of the Düsseldorf 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 shows but of course the tickets were sold out in like ten minutes. Maybe I should try to get a ticket to one of the Tate shows, I've always wanted to visit London / the UK anyway. In any case, if you have any chance of going to any of the shows, DO IT. It doesn't matter which albums you like the best, you wanker. This poo poo is probably a once in a lifetime opportunity.

I'd also like to add that my hatred and jealousy towards the people who get to see these shows are of a horrifyingly destructive kind. I need to see Kraftwerk again.

I have to

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 5, 2012

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

I actually figured I'd try to get tickets to one of the Düsseldorf 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 shows but of course the tickets were sold out in like ten minutes. Maybe I should try to get a ticket to one of the Tate shows, I've always wanted to visit London / the UK anyway. In any case, if you have any chance of going to any of the shows, DO IT. It doesn't matter which albums you like the best, you wanker. This poo poo is probably a once in a lifetime opportunity.

I saw Kraftwerk a couple of years ago in Manchester and they were incredible. If I hadn't seen them that once, I'd be on this instantly.

If I can be online at 7.30 on the 12th, let's see how things go..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

I really hope I can get tickets for this, I have been really wracking my brains for a good xmas present for my mum besides the boxset of A Touch Of Frost, this would be perfect.