Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
I tend not to buy boxes of the higher end stuff. I just get into some breaks which is really 6 of one/half dozen of the other.

Just been trying to trade base to set collectors for some color lately. It keeps me interested. Kinda waiting for Bowman Chrome to release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Started to collect Thome this year and have seen this Triple Threads card with a White Sox jersey piece. My question is what Sox jersey did it come from? I don't remember seeing red and/or yellow on their uniforms.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Quantrill posted:

Started to collect Thome this year and have seen this Triple Threads card with a White Sox jersey piece. My question is what Sox jersey did it come from? I don't remember seeing red and/or yellow on their uniforms.

All-Star Game? Maybe from 2006 or so?

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

Quantrill posted:

It isn't necessarily from a White Sox jersey. Topps usually has text on the back saying the memorabilia isn't from a specific time or event, only that it was game worn.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

AsInHowe posted:

All-Star Game? Maybe from 2006 or so?

Yeah that's from the sleeve of the BP jerseys from the 2006 All-Star Game

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

ElwoodCuse posted:

Yeah that's from the sleeve of the BP jerseys from the 2006 All-Star Game

Ah, never even crossed my mind. Thanks guys.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Hey Ghumbs,

Things a little slow on the card side at COMC? My last shipment just went live 11 days early.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

theacox posted:

Hey Ghumbs,

Things a little slow on the card side at COMC? My last shipment just went live 11 days early.
After the extremely busy 5th anniversary special we stopped taking 4 week orders and changed it to October 29 service. The identification team has been chipping away at the 200,000+ card day all month and it looks like you got yours done early.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Was anyone else excited about the 100 card Heritage High Numbers set and then put off by the $100 price?

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

This thread has been unusually calm. COMC is having a Black Friday Weekend sale. I'm going to be discounting my stuff quite a bit and I believe a lot of other sellers are too. Maybe you guys can pick something up and post it to keep this thread going.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I went through a box of garbage commons the other day and found a 2011 Bowman Chrome Mike Trout rookie. Anyone else do the same thing?

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Boinks posted:

I went through a box of garbage commons the other day and found a 2011 Bowman Chrome Mike Trout rookie. Anyone else do the same thing?

Kind of. Last year I bought a case of '11 Topps Update for Black Friday. I took all the base cards to the local card shop and sold them to him for not a lot. I know there must have been a few Trouts in there.

insideoutsider
Aug 31, 2003

You want a van? I get you a van.
I ended up caving in and bought one box of Topps Five Star when it released a couple weeks ago. I made a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKLYsd4sr28

I thought I did pretty well considering some of the boxes I've seen. Let's just say I'll stay at just the one box.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

insideoutsider posted:

I ended up caving in and bought one box of Topps Five Star when it released a couple weeks ago. I made a video.

I thought I did pretty well considering some of the boxes I've seen. Let's just say I'll stay at just the one box.

Your hands are shaking after pulling the Aaron, grats!

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

insideoutsider posted:

I'm not up to date on card prices, but I'm assuming you've made your money back and then some. Nice cards!

insideoutsider
Aug 31, 2003

You want a van? I get you a van.

Boinks posted:

Your hands are shaking after pulling the Aaron, grats!

I know it was pretty crazy. Best pull of my life that's for sure!

I Am Frick
Mar 26, 2004

The lesser half
of Frick and Frack
What do you guys think about digital baseball card collections? Do they help the industry? Hurt it?

I'm kind of a freak when it comes to baseball cards. My first pack was 1990 Toops, and I was six years old. The first card I laid eyes on was Roger Clemens. Given that I am a New Englander, that left a bit of an impression on me.

In short, I got very heavy into collecting cards and collecting complete sets, just so I can refer to a card and player at any time. I did this at a time when there wasn't a hit in every hobby box, when one-per-pack parallels were just starting to gain traction (Topps Gold, Cyberstats, UD Collector's Choice silver signatures...), and I essentially grew up not liking game-used jerseys or bats, autographed cards, etc.

From '96 to '06, I ended up stepping away from the hobby once it got tough to buy enough cards to go for a set, but after '06, I got back into it. A couple years later, I made it a personal goal to put every flagship Topps set into a binder starting with the year I was born and moving onward. That way, I'd have every flagship card and could refer to any player at any time and see him and how he was doing at that moment in history.

Then, I realized that it would require something on the order of 25 binders... And getting years 1983 to 1985, and then everything 1997 onward, would be a bit more expensive than the $10-30 investment per factory set that was needed for 1986 to 1996.

So I found sites like the Baseball Card Cyber Museum and the Trading Card Database, and I saw the value of maintaining a purely DIGITAL collection.

I started building my own project, written in JavaScript, that will be maintained privately. I don't plan on selling it, distributing it, uploading it to the web, etc. It so far contains around 113,000 card images (front and back), or roughly 4.2 gigs of jpegs.

With this thing, I can collect and have every card, organize sets by team, organize cards by player, whatever I want - without flipping binder pages, taking up tons of space or, most importantly, spending tons of money either on factory sets or on jumbo boxes, only to get packs of cards that I only want about 60 percent of anyway.

I've also written a Pack Opener that randomizes cards using quantities from the retail packs distributed that year, and cookies to keep track of what cards you've collected and what you're still missing.

Since I started, I haven't bought a single box of cards, and I feel like I have a bigger collection than I have ever had.

Part of me wonders why these two sites exist, since I would imagine it damages the hobby, but obviously Topps or Major League Baseball isn't doing anything to crack down on the sites.

There will always be hobbyists out there to buy Triple Threads and to chase high-dollar inserts, but with those who might lean in my direction, could digital collections damage the hobby?

I Am Frick fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Nov 27, 2012

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

You have an interesting hobby there! With the way Gen Y is shedding physical media in favor of convenience I guess digital card collecting could be a thing. I just don't see the point if you cant trade, grade or sell them. Not to mention that a large portion of the hobby is in the autograph market.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

The second image reminds me of going to card shows in the Spring of 1988 where every dealer there was more or less refusing to sell Gary Thurman cards at all, none the less for the $.25 or so that Beckett had them listed. He was gonna be huge, drat it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There is a company that sells personally 'autographed' photos from players who I guess 'sign' the photo on an iPad. Sadly this seems like something that might catch on, as this company has a lot of younger players in their stable. I don't count this as an autograph, though. It could be reproduced.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Gary Thurman was no Todd Van Poppel.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

There is a company that sells personally 'autographed' photos from players who I guess 'sign' the photo on an iPad. Sadly this seems like something that might catch on, as this company has a lot of younger players in their stable. I don't count this as an autograph, though. It could be reproduced.

I don't see how this is any different from a printed fake autograph, IE the 2007 Topps set design.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Boinks posted:

I don't see how this is any different from a printed fake autograph, IE the 2007 Topps set design.
2008 Topps did this too, and I think my favorite base card from that set was Johnny Cueto's RC, purely because it looks like it was signed by a six-year-old:

JoHHNY CUETo

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Boinks posted:

I don't either. I called out Steve Cishek (Marlins closer) about that, and his response was 'well, I do sign it'. That wasn't the point I was trying to make to him, but whatever.

I Am Frick
Mar 26, 2004

The lesser half
of Frick and Frack

Boinks posted:

You have an interesting hobby there! With the way Gen Y is shedding physical media in favor of convenience I guess digital card collecting could be a thing. I just don't see the point if you cant trade, grade or sell them. Not to mention that a large portion of the hobby is in the autograph market.

Well I understand trading, grading and all of that. I used to be huge on trading when I was in middle school, right before I fell out of the hobby. Part of what maybe put distance in it for me is that I also play Magic: The Gathering, where there's a LOT of trading to turn cards you can't use into cards you can use. The trades in that case become associated with the ability to utilize your expense, whereas when your trading something like baseball cards, I feel like you're only amassing something that interests you.

Going digital eliminates the expense and the space it takes up, leaving you with a lot of money to spend on Magic cards on nice things for your wife.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
This guy has to be a goon.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

theacox posted:

This guy has to be a goon.

1989 design :smug:

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I used to collect baseball with some basketball, and I'm feeling like getting back into it a bit. I'd like to bust some older packs (I guess mid-90s on). What's a reasonable amount to pay per box, even for the cheaper sets, or am I better off just periodically searching for them loose? I'm not really looking for anything of value, I just loved the wacky inserts. Like this whole group.

(Sorry if there's a basketball thread, I couldn't find one)

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Anyone interested in complete sets from this year? I got Heritage, Gypsy, Archives, and Ginter all sitting here in binders.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
So what's the deal with this guy? People buy cards online from his shop and he opens up the packs for them. Why do people do this? I thought the best part of buying packs was opening them yourself.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Jubs posted:

So what's the deal with this guy? People buy cards online from his shop and he opens up the packs for them. Why do people do this? I thought the best part of buying packs was opening them yourself.

You live somewhere with no shop near, he opens and sends you the hits, you don't have to pay the shipping on ordering a whole box that's full of commons you don't want. That's my best guess anyway.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Gunjin posted:

You live somewhere with no shop near, he opens and sends you the hits, you don't have to pay the shipping on ordering a whole box that's full of commons you don't want. That's my best guess anyway.

Also, people buying a ton of stuff online without their wives finding out about it.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Plus, for valuable cards, it provides verification from a third party that the cards are real and haven't been altered.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Konstantin posted:

Plus, for valuable cards, it provides verification from a third party that the cards are real and haven't been altered.

This can be a biggie, what with the amount of fake patches going around lately. I'd much rather open packs myself, though.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

Jubs posted:

So he lists and provides videos of his big pulls on his site. Here are some of his big baseball pulls:

Rickie Weeks tri-fold game used All Star Patch 1/1

Yu Darvish game used dual patch and letter patch 1/1

A triple Autograph & game used chunks.... WOOD 1/1

King Felix 2011 Finest Superfractor 1/1 & a white whale patch autograph 1/1

Starling Marte Superfractor 1/1

Brett Lawrie gold ink autograph 1/1

Cal Ripken game used JUMBO Patch Autograph 3/5

Ted Williams Autographed Baseball

Ichiro dual patch/JUMBO Patch #d 1/3

Mickey Mantle cut autograph

Joe DiMaggio, Lou Gehrig & Mickey Mantle Game Used Bats & Jersey 1/1

Stephen Strasburg Bowman Chrome Rookie Supefractor 1/1

Felix Hernandez booklet JUMBO Patch, Dual Patch Auto 3/3. Hunter Pence White Whale Patch Auto 1/1 & Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle & Roger Maris Game Used Jerseys with Stripes

Felix Hernandez WBC LOGO Patch 1/1

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Why would you pay, I'm going to guess each of those have to cost $50 a pack, and not want all 6 cards that come with it. They're not ginna take up that much space. I'm sure you can sell the base cards to someone for a few bucks if all you want are the autos and jerseys

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
It's been quite awhile since we did our last goon break here with the 2012 Heritage. What was it, about 1 year? I'd be up for another goon break. I could do a live box/boxes/case break if you guys were interested.

I don't really have any desire to do anything other than baseball :speculate:. Maybe we could do something cheap? I can host if you'd like. I'm not in it other than to get some cards.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

I'm up for a baseball break. What baseball boxes are the kids breaking these days?

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

I'd be up for a mid range break

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

theacox posted:

It's been quite awhile since we did our last goon break here with the 2012 Heritage. What was it, about 1 year? I'd be up for another goon break. I could do a live box/boxes/case break if you guys were interested.

I don't really have any desire to do anything other than baseball :speculate:. Maybe we could do something cheap? I can host if you'd like. I'm not in it other than to get some cards.

Topps Series 1 comes out on January 31st.

Other than that, everything from 2012 is out.

In a hockey card thread, someone has run some breaks by getting cards from Blowout Cards for a relatively good price.

• Locked thread