Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
maybe he wasn't speaking literally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumpon10s
Dec 9, 2004

Gentleman, we have seen the future.

rand posted:

Has anyone had problems with coughing since quitting? I haven't smoked for 2 months and still have a bit of a cough. Same with my nose, it's been clogged up whenever I lie down. And the last time I snorted heroin was 2 months ago.

Well, except the H.

I have been sick for basically the month I haven't been smoking. I'm sure it isn't connected to it, but drat, I never get sick and not for long but I am ready to have a camel just to see if this poo poo will go away. The coughing has been pretty steady, but that seems to be subsiding with it being calmer and frankly "drier".

probably drunk
Dec 25, 2009

by Lowtax
I was just at my friends house, his mom very recently died from complications due to lung cancer. She smoked like a chimney, passed away in her 50s.

He gave me what was left of her carton. It's almost hard to look at those cigarettes.

OMG LOL BUTSEKZ
Dec 2, 2003

no butsekz plz.
Throw your smokes in the toilet. Now.

Once you get past the, depending on your dependency, 10~20 days of withdrawals, it's all mental from here baby. And once you start viewing smokes not as something you are denying to yourself, but as something that has nothing positive to offer to your life, it's going to be a piece of cake for you.

I quit 14 months ago after smoking for 5 years. Now cardiovascular bedtime is more fun than ever.

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

Gothmog1065 posted:

Smoking never gave me sudden headaches. This might be something only a few people encounter which is why nobody mentions it.

I have no doubt some people don't get headaches from smoking. Smoking, however, does increase headache incidence. Heavy smoking moreso. You're probably more headache proof than most. As an aside, I really loving hate headaches can I have your brain

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
If you smoke and you feel like poo poo constantly, chances are things will improve if you stop smoking.

You get told that smoking is something you do without consequences until you suddenly get cancer and all you need to do is stop before that. This is not true. It's not a lottery. Your health and well-beeing will decline constantly.

Scrum
Dec 12, 2003

All I got for Christmas was this shitty custom title.
Quit smoking around three months ago at this point. Got really stressed out and bought a pack of cigarettes last week. Got home all excited with a coffee and lit one up. I immediately gagged. The taste was horrendous, I got an instant headache and I became extremely nauseated. I tried my best to smoke a few more cigarettes but I couldn't do it.

The strangest thing was the taste. In my years smoking, I had only experienced that taste when I was 14, smoking for the first time. It was terrible. It's amazing how your body can get used to being poisoned. Cigarettes rarely tasted like anything to me when I was smoking them constantly.

I think I'm in the clear now. I can't even START smoking again. I thought at least that part would be easy.

Keep it up folks.

WonderfulWino
Sep 26, 2004

The grape wont cut me loose.
Been smoking for 30 years. Since I was 10. Just met a great woman and gonna give it up. It's only been 10 hours so far and im having serious fits. This is gonna be tough as nails.

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010
3 months cold-turkey today. I still miss it when I have coffee, but I'm also down to just a cup a day of that (from 5 or 6 daily). I've put on plenty of weight, but I've also saved hundreds of dollars with which to buy new clothes. :unsmith:

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
I haven't smoked in 2 years after smoking for 13 (dates are all very fuzzy), and was hooked on the lozenges for about 3.5 years (kept using those and smoked a few times in between). The main problem now (still) is after 5 months or so without using any nicotine products, I am still psycho-somatically addicted to the feeling of something being in my mouth constantly. I have a sugar free cough drop in my mouth from when I wake up until I brush my teeth before bed. If I don't have a cough drop or a mint, I get the withdrawal headaches and my irritation levels shoot through the roof, just like every time when I tried to quit smoking. It's loving annoying and loving stupid and makes no sense to me. I'm spending $10 a week on cough drops though, versus $20 for lozenges or $40 for cigarettes so I guess I'm still ahead on that count.

jax
Jun 18, 2001

I love my brick.

WonderfulWino posted:

Been smoking for 30 years. Since I was 10. Just met a great woman and gonna give it up. It's only been 10 hours so far and im having serious fits. This is gonna be tough as nails.

Good luck, it gets easier so stick with it.

Black Cat
Mar 22, 2012

Boner Slam posted:

If you smoke and you feel like poo poo constantly, chances are things will improve if you stop smoking.

You get told that smoking is something you do without consequences until you suddenly get cancer and all you need to do is stop before that. This is not true. It's not a lottery. Your health and well-beeing will decline constantly.

Everyone's different I guess. A year ago I ran a half-marathon in 2.5 hours just for the heck of it and I was still on about 5 a day. Do people still have the reduced lung capacity type of issues while exercising a good bit? I could see it working like losing weight after you cut out horrible food. You get healthier every day, but there's definitely ways to expedite the process.

Scrum posted:

Quit smoking around three months ago at this point. Got really stressed out and bought a pack of cigarettes last week. Got home all excited with a coffee and lit one up. I immediately gagged. The taste was horrendous, I got an instant headache and I became extremely nauseated. I tried my best to smoke a few more cigarettes but I couldn't do it.

The strangest thing was the taste. In my years smoking, I had only experienced that taste when I was 14, smoking for the first time. It was terrible. It's amazing how your body can get used to being poisoned. Cigarettes rarely tasted like anything to me when I was smoking them constantly.

I think I'm in the clear now. I can't even START smoking again. I thought at least that part would be easy.

Keep it up folks.

Whenever I'd quit for a day or two then cave that first cigarette was a very mixed experience. Of course the withdrawal relief was amazing but I'd actually feel the effects of nicotine. I'd get light headed, tired, demotivated, and short of breath.

I'd try a cigarette every now and then before I got hooked and I never made it through a whole one before all the effects of nicotine pissed me off and I got mad that I'd have to wait 10 minutes to feel normal again.

WonderfulWino posted:

Juice and bananas. I don't see it suggested often but it does wonders for clearing up the nicotine withdrawal induced hypoglycemia. Fuzzy vision, muscle cramps, shakes, and a hand full of other symptoms.

Ariza posted:

I haven't smoked in 2 years after smoking for 13 (dates are all very fuzzy), and was hooked on the lozenges for about 3.5 years (kept using those and smoked a few times in between). The main problem now (still) is after 5 months or so without using any nicotine products, I am still psycho-somatically addicted to the feeling of something being in my mouth constantly. I have a sugar free cough drop in my mouth from when I wake up until I brush my teeth before bed. If I don't have a cough drop or a mint, I get the withdrawal headaches and my irritation levels shoot through the roof, just like every time when I tried to quit smoking. It's loving annoying and loving stupid and makes no sense to me. I'm spending $10 a week on cough drops though, versus $20 for lozenges or $40 for cigarettes so I guess I'm still ahead on that count.

I started wearing a towel through my belt loop at work and I ring my hands through it when I'm nervous or anxious. If just the smallest amount of anything gets on my hands I have to wipe it off now. Sometimes I forget to grab one when I go in and I won't make it five minutes into a shift without grabbing for it.

Its a terribly trivial problem compared to smoking and I'm sure there's a lot of information out there if it bothers you a lot.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

Black Cat posted:

Everyone's different I guess. A year ago I ran a half-marathon in 2.5 hours just for the heck of it and I was still on about 5 a day. Do people still have the reduced lung capacity type of issues while exercising a good bit? I could see it working like losing weight after you cut out horrible food. You get healthier every day, but there's definitely ways to expedite the process.

How long did you smoke?

I was still doing HIT and olympic style lifting and running as well. I ran 18km once which was quite a lot for my weight then, on a pack a day.

It really creeped up on me though, I think around the time I turned 25. Quite suddenly I had a bag of things that technically restricted my progress. I just had the mental ability to ignore it somehow.
I only did notice all that poo poo after I stopped smoking.

But yes, it is different for most people. Especially if you are younger and/or have not been smoking very long

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
Had more frequent dreams about smoking lately, It still gets to me when I realize what I'm doing and will usually shock me awake.

Cravings are also getting very intense when I first wake up in the morning.

Good news is, I think I'm at close to 5 months now. And I feel great.

Black Cat
Mar 22, 2012

Boner Slam posted:

How long did you smoke?

I was still doing HIT and olympic style lifting and running as well. I ran 18km once which was quite a lot for my weight then, on a pack a day.

It really creeped up on me though, I think around the time I turned 25. Quite suddenly I had a bag of things that technically restricted my progress. I just had the mental ability to ignore it somehow.
I only did notice all that poo poo after I stopped smoking.

But yes, it is different for most people. Especially if you are younger and/or have not been smoking very long

I'm 28 and a pack a day for three years, sporadic quit attempts every month for 18 months now.

I'm very good at ignoring pain and whatever else and trucking through. This has caused trouble for me though, as I let problems build up until their not only completely debilitating but they're also hard to manage. "A stitch in time saves nine" should be posted in my apartment somewhere.

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

I bought an ecig to help with the process. I realize that I'm still addicted to nicotine etc etc, but it really does seem to be a lot better for you, at least from my experience. It really is a weird thing to be able to smell again.

I had a relapse and bought a pack a couple days in, mostly because I missed the little stuff, like drinking a cup of coffee with a cigarette, or one after dinner. I actually really didn't like it, thought it tasted disgusting and was fascinated by how much different I perceived it before quitting. I guess that's a good sign.

Black Cat
Mar 22, 2012

Drewsky posted:

I bought an ecig to help with the process. I realize that I'm still addicted to nicotine etc etc, but it really does seem to be a lot better for you, at least from my experience. It really is a weird thing to be able to smell again.

I had a relapse and bought a pack a couple days in, mostly because I missed the little stuff, like drinking a cup of coffee with a cigarette, or one after dinner. I actually really didn't like it, thought it tasted disgusting and was fascinated by how much different I perceived it before quitting. I guess that's a good sign.

Having the ability to smell again almost feels like a super power. I can remember walking 50 yards down a street and smelling a pizza bakery, a hamburger joint, oil and exhaust, then a grocery store bakery for the first time in years.

Also, to draw a parallel, a lot of former fatties, myself included, have noticed a distaste for food they once loved after an extended diet. Sodas went from being a delicious black elixir to a syrupy tar. Growing up has a lot to do with it, but I've completely lost any affinity for sweets. I still love to eat fried food, but I always feel like I have a brick in my stomach for a couple hours afterwards. I'm sure something Pavlovian is going on. I love chicken wings but chicken wings don't love me. Even when someone offers me a few spare wings they couldn't finish, I'll decline without hesitation.

If smoking doesn't relieve any withdrawals for you then it loses a lot of its appeal. Also you're body is no longer trained to ignore the terrible taste and the throat pain.

Relish the fact that you no longer enjoy cigarettes. Something you once couldn't live without is now something you can't even pretend to enjoy.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Black Cat posted:

Having the ability to smell again almost feels like a super power. I can remember walking 50 yards down a street and smelling a pizza bakery, a hamburger joint, oil and exhaust, then a grocery store bakery for the first time in years.

Also, to draw a parallel, a lot of former fatties, myself included, have noticed a distaste for food they once loved after an extended diet. Sodas went from being a delicious black elixir to a syrupy tar. Growing up has a lot to do with it, but I've completely lost any affinity for sweets. I still love to eat fried food, but I always feel like I have a brick in my stomach for a couple hours afterwards. I'm sure something Pavlovian is going on. I love chicken wings but chicken wings don't love me. Even when someone offers me a few spare wings they couldn't finish, I'll decline without hesitation.

If smoking doesn't relieve any withdrawals for you then it loses a lot of its appeal. Also you're body is no longer trained to ignore the terrible taste and the throat pain.

Relish the fact that you no longer enjoy cigarettes. Something you once couldn't live without is now something you can't even pretend to enjoy.
This is an awesome post. As someone who has quit smoking and lost tons of weight at the same time, I agree completely.

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008
Started on the high nicotine strength eCigs a month and a half ago and, admittedly, I'm chewing through enough of them that I'm not saving much, if any, money. However, I'm feeling about a million times better and as the weeks have gone by the smell of cigarettes and the thought of having a 'real' smoke are quite sickening.

The worst thing about the eCig is having to explain, at least two or three times a day, in depth, what it is I'm doing when I'm outside 'smoking' it.

Risky
May 18, 2003

Smoker for 14 years. Getting sick is the best way to quit. I just got over bronchitis a few weeks ago and that was a drat nightmare. It was hard enough breathing without having to take bronchodilators just to breathe normally but going through cigarette withdrawals at the same time made it worse. It was kind of a blessing though because it made me equate the withdrawals with dyspnea so when I got better it was really easy to not smoke. I'm at 3 weeks so far smoke-free and I've had plenty of opportunities to buy cigarettes but haven't. It feels good breathe easier and my sense of smell has returned. I've even been around smokers and haven't had the urge to bum one much less crave one. It feels weird not smoking after eating but I'm used to it now so it doesn't feel like I'm missing anything. It's really liberating not having to have the bulk of a pack of cigs in my pocket or plan my day around when I'll need to get more cigarettes.

pastorrich
Jun 7, 2008

Keep on truckin' like a novacane hurricane
I posted in this thread three weeks ago in despair because I had no ideas left to quit. I read somewhere that you have to accept that you're going to be a smoker forever for you to stop wanting to smoke. That's pretty much what happened.

I quit 2.5 weeks ago with the gum and I don't have the urge to smoke. I have friends who smoke and the smell is disgusting now, so I don't cherish the idea of sweet sweet cigarette smoke filling my lungs because it's now a nasty idea to me.

I mean, it's only been 17 days, but I feel like it's right this time like I never did in the billions of times I quit this year. So if you're almost to your quitting limit, just keep trying and you'll get there. It took me a whole year to prepare for that right quitting time. So keep quitting until you succeed.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

WonderfulWino posted:

Get an eCig. For reals. 20 year smoker here, have been quit for 7 months now and the very thought of cigarettes is weird and foreign to me now. I can't believe it, as I tried quitting many times before and even if I went a month, I'd cave. Now, it's gone, like *POOF*, gone. Not even in my head anymore and I loving love it. A couple of friends of mine still smoke and I hang out with them no problem, while they're smoking, and it looks weird. It's so strange how dramatic this shift in thinking has been, and I credit the eCig's 100%.

I figure I'll quit the eCigs at some point in the future, but who gives a poo poo really? They're relatively harmless.

Sacul
Feb 11, 2010

Risky posted:

Smoker for 14 years. Getting sick is the best way to quit. I just got over bronchitis a few weeks ago and that was a drat nightmare. It was hard enough breathing without having to take bronchodilators just to breathe normally but going through cigarette withdrawals at the same time made it worse. It was kind of a blessing though because it made me equate the withdrawals with dyspnea so when I got better it was really easy to not smoke. I'm at 3 weeks so far smoke-free and I've had plenty of opportunities to buy cigarettes but haven't. It feels good breathe easier and my sense of smell has returned. I've even been around smokers and haven't had the urge to bum one much less crave one. It feels weird not smoking after eating but I'm used to it now so it doesn't feel like I'm missing anything. It's really liberating not having to have the bulk of a pack of cigs in my pocket or plan my day around when I'll need to get more cigarettes.

I hear ya buddy. I got a bacterial chest infection back in June and was coughing so much that even the idea of a smoke made my throat hurt. So I used that as an opportunity to quit all together cold turkey and have been smoke free since June 20th. I hear that you can get a nasty cough when you quit so I think that being sick while quitting may have amplified it into the worst cough in the history of humanity. I would be up all night coughing and hacking up gross poo poo but it got better as time went on. By the time I had recovered from the infection I was both physically and mentally over cigarettes. I still get the occasional craving when I'm about 5-6 beers deep on a patio or driving around in my car but they only last about a minute before I snap out of it. Now I can't believe I spent 7 years paying so much money to intentionally poison myself with that poo poo.

Also, did anyone else have dreams while quitting where you would smoke and feel totally ashamed of yourself about it? I would have a dream where I had a smoke at least once every couple days when I was originally quitting (still do, only not so often) and the sense of relief I would feel upon waking up and realizing it was just a dream was unreal.

To all you people struggling with quitting, hang in there! It will be the best decision you'll ever make.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Today I skipped class and took the day off work. I'm about 24 hours in, I've done nothing all day but watch youtube and I've eaten all the food. All of it. It's all gone.

Tomorrow I'm thinking I'll pick up some sunflower seeds and toothpicks. Right now I'm going to finish off the last of the frozen spring rolls.

Maybe I'll find time for a jog tomorrow, too. :btroll:

Black Cat
Mar 22, 2012

treat posted:

Today I skipped class and took the day off work. I'm about 24 hours in, I've done nothing all day but watch youtube and I've eaten all the food. All of it. It's all gone.

Tomorrow I'm thinking I'll pick up some sunflower seeds and toothpicks. Right now I'm going to finish off the last of the frozen spring rolls.

Maybe I'll find time for a jog tomorrow, too. :btroll:

If you have netflix watch that too. One season of a TV series can last half a day.

Try multiple types of drinks if you have the money. I prefer hot drinks, but juices can be pretty awesome too.

jcbibbs
Nov 30, 2012
Thought I would just throw in on this thread as well. I quit smoking cold turkey last week. The two things I did that helped me quit is I installed a quit smoking app on my phone and every time I smoked I made myself go in and reset the app (which was a pain in the rear end). I also installed a widget on my home screen that displayed how long I had gone without so eventually between my laziness in resetting the app and the climbing numbers on the widget that I didn't want to reset I managed to give them up.

I now have status messages up on my interoffice IM client and outside my office that says "Nicotine withdrawl. Don't talk to me unless necessary. You've been warned."

I'm not completely done being a jerk and being able to blame the nicotine. I figure I have at least another week.

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

I made an observation that could maybe help some people quit.
I've only got two days of college this semester and slowly but steadily started to drink one to four beer every evening, while also having a cup of coffee every morning. I had 2 cigarettes with the coffee in the morning, almost none until I opened the first beer in the evening and then something like 3 or 4 with every beer. I also didn't feel like I had much control over how much I smoked while basically taking two drugs at once, other than when I would've just been drinking tea or something with it. When I had that coffee in front of me there was no way I wouldn't smoke while drinking it, as with the beer.
So as I realised that there wasn't a single day I didn't have at least one beer for the past month, I stopped buying some and drank tea as a substitute, and suddenly went from something like 12 cigarettes on a workday to 3 or 4, which I also felt like I could've easily cut down to 1 or 2. When I had some beer with friends on the weekend I suddently smoked a whole pack on an evening again.
Sure, it's not a secret that alcohol or coffee makes you smoke more, but what I'm getting at is that if you stop drinking beer and coffee while still smoking and making your peace with it, it's way easier to quit. For me it even made living while still smoking at least somewhat bearable.

Pizzatime fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 5, 2012

Black Cat
Mar 22, 2012

Pizzatime posted:

I've only got two days of college this semester and slowly but steadily started to drink one to four beer every evening, while also having a cup of coffee every morning. I had 2 cigarettes with the coffee in the morning, almost none until I opened the first beer in the evening and then something like 3 or 4 with every beer. I also didn't feel like I had much control over how much I smoked while basically taking two drugs at once, other than when I would've just been drinking tea or something with it. When I had that coffee in front of me there was no way I wouldn't smoke while drinking it, as with the beer.
So as I realised that there wasn't a single day I didn't have at least one beer for the past month, I stopped buying some and drank tea as a substitute, and suddenly went from something like 12 cigarettes on a workday to 3 or 4, which I also felt like I could've easily cut down to 1 or 2. When I had some beer with friends on the weekend I suddently smoked a whole pack on an evening again.
Sure, it's not a secret that alcohol or coffee makes you smoke more, but what I'm getting at is that if you stop drinking beer and coffee while still smoking and making your peace with it, it's way easier to quit. For me it even made living while still smoking at least somewhat bearable.

Yup. Some times habits or hobbies are incredibly easy to alienate from smoking. Other times its nearly impossible.

One way people think about smoking is as the period at the end of a sentence that details their life. For example:

I woke up and ate breakfast. I drank coffee and read the internet. I went to the gym and the bank. I cooked and ate lunch. I watched TV until time for work. I drove to work. I worked my shift, then drove home. I ate dinner. I watched TV until I was tired enough to sleep.

Sometimes its really easy to join sentences. "I woke up, ate breakfast, drank coffee, and read the internet."

Othertimes its extremely difficult. Possibly a smoker would say that one does not go from driving to work without working without a period. I guess its just all a matter of convincing yourself that a smoke break isn't mandatory before or after any activity.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

El Murguista posted:

I have no doubt some people don't get headaches from smoking. Smoking, however, does increase headache incidence. Heavy smoking moreso. You're probably more headache proof than most. As an aside, I really loving hate headaches can I have your brain

Tell that to my loving head at work. Holy poo poo, past three weeks I've been getting massive headaches while there. Don't know if it's something in the air or just work in general but ugh.

Back to the main point: Quit being babies and quit smoking. You won't regret it.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I'm using nicotine patches and an ecig right now. My last cigarette was 36 hours ago. This combination seems to be working for me. It's the longest I've gone without a cigarette since I started about 9 years ago, willingly or not. I don't even feel that bad! I get a craving every now and then, and my hands were shaking a little this morning, but by god I feel like I can really do this!

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

cryptoclastic posted:

I'm using nicotine patches and an ecig right now. My last cigarette was 36 hours ago. This combination seems to be working for me. It's the longest I've gone without a cigarette since I started about 9 years ago, willingly or not. I don't even feel that bad! I get a craving every now and then, and my hands were shaking a little this morning, but by god I feel like I can really do this!
Well I'm not surprised you don't have cravings, you're practically on a nicotine IV.

nattrass
Feb 2, 2009
Coming up 4 months without a fag on the 14th december. Down from 25-30 a day. Saved a grand according to phone app.

Think it's all gone on food cos I'm getting fat as gently caress.

Gothmog1065 posted:

Back to the main point: Quit being babies and quit smoking. You won't regret it.

Thing is... I really do regret it. I feel like I'm depriving myself of something I enjoyed, just for the sake of it. I look at smokers and I'm jealous. I don't want a ciggy, well physically anyway. But I just enjoyed having the little 5 min breaks every so often. A chance to sit and reflect or admire a job well done.

Is this normal? Plus I don't feel any better at all health wise.

Seriously the only reason I haven't started again is to save the embarrassing "oh thought you'd quit, disappointed in you". The only reason I did quit is because it is the done thing these days. Plus I can'taafford UK tobacco prices.

nattrass fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Dec 6, 2012

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Wolfy posted:

Well I'm not surprised you don't have cravings, you're practically on a nicotine IV.

I tried just an e-cig before, and just a patch before. Neither worked for me. I was already also smoking the weakest cigarettes I could find. Breaking the habit of it all is what I could never do. I know it's not the best I could be doing, but it's better than actually smoking.

Hogarth Hughes
Apr 16, 2006

"As for me, people will be pleased to escape from me in one piece."

:black101:

Pizzatime posted:

I don't know if this is helpful, quitting all your vices at the same time. That will guaranteed make you cranky, and it's great to be able to get to the point where you can have a drink, or your regular morning cup o' joe, and not have that nicotine craving. Personally I think it is just another convenient excuse to fall back on, oh, well, I needed that smoke because I was drunk/high/upset.

If this worked for you then fantastic! It never worked for me though, personally, because I always fell back on my old excuses. Oops, I had a beer, time to smoke 5 cigs!

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

nattrass posted:

But I just enjoyed having the little 5 min breaks every so often. A chance to sit and reflect or admire a job well done.
What's stopping you from doing that now, just without a cigarette? If you're in one of those retarded places that gives special breaks to smokers you should complain as that's stupid.

quote:

Is this normal? Plus I don't feel any better at all health wise.
Do you do anything physical? Lift a weight or jog on a treadmill. It seems like you've replaced smoking with food. I did the same thing and am just now getting over that.

quote:

Seriously the only reason I haven't started again is to save the embarrassing "oh thought you'd quit, disappointed in you". The only reason I did quit is because it is the done thing these days. Plus I can'taafford UK tobacco prices.
So you quit because you're embarassed and you can't afford it, so you quit for two reasons! Now you also don't smell like an ashtray.

You're going to talk yourself into smoking again, especially if you get another job. Really, what did smoking do for you before? It's been proven it doesn't relax you. You can still take your short five minute breaks. You can now spend your money elsewhere? Quit looking at what you're missing (inhaling toxic fumes) and look at what you're gaining (Money, time, health even if you don't see it).

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

Hogarth Hughes posted:

I don't know if this is helpful, quitting all your vices at the same time. That will guaranteed make you cranky, and it's great to be able to get to the point where you can have a drink, or your regular morning cup o' joe, and not have that nicotine craving. Personally I think it is just another convenient excuse to fall back on, oh, well, I needed that smoke because I was drunk/high/upset.

If this worked for you then fantastic! It never worked for me though, personally, because I always fell back on my old excuses. Oops, I had a beer, time to smoke 5 cigs!

Maybe I'm kind of a special case in the sense that I really hate the taste of coffee and beer. I'm basically just taking it for the effect, and need to smoke while drinking that stuff to not taste it. Secondly I'm only in the need of those effects that beer and coffee have when I'm smoking anyway, because when you're smoking, you're basically always intoxicated to a certain degree, which makes you generally feel bad, and in turn feel the need to make yourself feel better with alcohol or coffee like that in the first place. :psyduck:

Black Cat
Mar 22, 2012

Pizzatime posted:

Maybe I'm kind of a special case in the sense that I really hate the taste of coffee and beer. I'm basically just taking it for the effect, and need to smoke while drinking that stuff to not taste it. Secondly I'm only in the need of those effects that beer and coffee have when I'm smoking anyway, because when you're smoking, you're basically always intoxicated to a certain degree, which makes you generally feel bad, and in turn feel the need to make yourself feel better with alcohol or coffee like that in the first place. :psyduck:

Smoking makes me tired. I counter it with drinking coffee. Coffee makes me jittery, shaky, and anxious, I counter it with smoking.

However, both are bad for my heart and stomach, so while I drink and smoke more and more, I feel worse in an overall sense.

Black Cat fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 7, 2012

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Ugh. Been on bupropion for about 7 weeks now. First attempt to stop on the bupropion, I managed a week and made the mistake of going out drinking at the weekend. So then I thought it would be better to avoid that for a while.

Until this weekend I hadn't smoked for 4 weeks, and it was still pretty difficult. I was becoming miserable because I hadn't seen any friends for all that time and I thought that I will have to face social situations anyway and 4 weeks should have got me over the worst of it.

Ended up seeing someone I didn't particularly want to, going in to a sulk and bumming 3 cigs from people. I don't know whether I was just using that as an excuse or not. I've not had any since but now I feel exactly like I'm back to square one. Nope, I was so pissed off I bought a pack at the store, so I really am back to square one.

I was also struggling to see any benefits, other than the money. My taste and smell were the same, breathing was the same, energy was worse due to not being able to sleep. I know everyone is different and it gets better eventually but it's so difficult to focus on that when it feels like you're getting worse :(

.jpg fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Dec 9, 2012

Black Cat
Mar 22, 2012

dotJPG posted:

Ugh. Been on bupropion for about 7 weeks now. First attempt to stop on the bupropion, I managed a week and made the mistake of going out drinking at the weekend. So then I thought it would be better to avoid that for a while.

Until this weekend I hadn't smoked for 4 weeks, and it was still pretty difficult. I was becoming miserable because I hadn't seen any friends for all that time and I thought that I will have to face social situations anyway and 4 weeks should have got me over the worst of it.

Ended up seeing someone I didn't particularly want to, going in to a sulk and bumming 3 cigs from people. I don't know whether I was just using that as an excuse or not. I've not had any since but now I feel exactly like I'm back to square one. Nope, I was so pissed off I bought a pack at the store, so I really am back to square one.

I was also struggling to see any benefits, other than the money. My taste and smell were the same, breathing was the same, energy was worse due to not being able to sleep. I know everyone is different and it gets better eventually but it's so difficult to focus on that when it feels like you're getting worse :(

I've had trouble too with staying out of the mindset of cigarettes being a "cure" for problems. It just sounds so illogical though. When has a doctor prescribed nicotine?

Maybe try to make yourself feel really personally responsible for not smoking. You wouldn't call your leasing agency and tell them that you'll be late on rent because you saw someone you didn't want to see at a bar. You wouldn't call in to work over it. Quitting smoking is very important however no one is there to stop you from smoking except for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011

dotJPG posted:

Now you're not at 4 weeks anymore, you're at day 1. lovely huh?

quote:

That was obviously an excuse. It's common. You think to yourself "man I didn't want to see her" or "gently caress this car accident" or "my mom's sick" and it turns into "Maybe if I have a smoke it'll help me, it'll comfort me, my life is poo poo right now anyhow might as well smoke to get me through it."

quote:

Not smoking is categorically healthier than smoking, so you make the decision.

• Locked thread