Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax
I stayed home from a new years eve party to play Baulders gate. I didnt even go when one of my friends wives friends texted me asking if i was going and when i said no replied "Ah man, and i wore my slutty dress for you"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I once got in a drunken fight with a Windows programmer while defending Linux. Still don't feel bad about it.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Systemic Flaw posted:

I once got in a drunken fight with a Windows programmer while defending Linux. Still don't feel bad about it.

Godamn I would have LOVED to be there for that.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I waited in line in the rain for 8 hours to see the Midnight opening of Phantom Menace and then fell asleep about 30 minutes in and woke up during the final lightsabre battle "wow what did I miss????". I paid money to see the entire movie again the following weekend. I was not happy.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Miftan posted:

Godamn I would have LOVED to be there for that.
It probably looked like this:

but with more crying. And probably some nervous pooping.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

John Big Booty posted:

It probably looked like this:

but with more crying. And probably some nervous pooping.
Or casually overhearing the Windows guy's conversation with a group of people, then when he leaves to get more Diet Coke, saying "I disagree with him" and walking away :smug:

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

sweet thursday posted:

Or casually overhearing the Windows guy's conversation with a group of people, then when he leaves to get more Diet Coke, saying "I disagree with him" and walking away :smug:
There was probably still some nervous pooping involved in that scenario.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I got bored with using regular guns in the original Black Ops, so I decided to use only pistols for my next prestige.

I got really drat good at it.

River
Apr 22, 2012
Nothin' but the rain
Molten core seems to be an incredibly effective contraceptive.

I once played Dungeons & Dragons for 3 days straight (no sleep), while dressed head to toe in some shoddy mockup of chain mail that was both extremely uncomfortable and badly sized for me with 3 others in similar getups. I still play that same campaign today, although I'll never dress up for it again.

browntony
Oct 23, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I could have had the opportunity to attend not just ONE of the following but all of the following had it not been for the sick raids I was occupied with in WoW (World of Warcraft, its a popular video game);

* My grandfather's funeral (I loved this man, he was a war hero from world war 2 the greatest generation to ever live)

* My Mother's second wedding (To my new stepdad who is MUCH nicer to me than real daddy)

* My dog Kibbles being put to sleep at the vet's office (He had a thyroid problem but that never stopped him from putting a big smile on my face whenever i was feeling down because that jerk pally in my guild kept rolling freaking NEED on what was CLEARLY warrior plate armor!!! :argh:)

but I don't regret any of these decisions or life changing moments because now I'm in the top 10 percentile on my server (ghostlands) for protection warriors, so ya know, who's REALLY winning at this so called game of life? :smug:

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax

browntony posted:

I could have had the opportunity to attend not just ONE of the following but all of the following had it not been for the sick raids I was occupied with in WoW (World of Warcraft, its a popular video game);

* My grandfather's funeral (I loved this man, he was a war hero from world war 2 the greatest generation to ever live)

* My Mother's second wedding (To my new stepdad who is MUCH nicer to me than real daddy)

* My dog Kibbles being put to sleep at the vet's office (He had a thyroid problem but that never stopped him from putting a big smile on my face whenever i was feeling down because that jerk pally in my guild kept rolling freaking NEED on what was CLEARLY warrior plate armor!!! :argh:)

but I don't regret any of these decisions or life changing moments because now I'm in the top 10 percentile on my server (ghostlands) for protection warriors, so ya know, who's REALLY winning at this so called game of life? :smug:

Blizzard?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

ShootaBoy posted:

I got bored with using regular guns in the original Black Ops, so I decided to use only pistols for my next prestige.

I got really drat good at it.

I did a shotgun only prestige
I did a pistol only prestige.
I did a SMG only prestige.
I did a prestige where I only ran 3-4-5
I did a prestige where I only ran 8-9-11 (SR71/Chopper gunner/Dogs)
I did a prestige where I only used the M60. (It was loving awesome)

I and a group of goons continued playing BLOPs through MW3 and have only just put it down to try BLOPs2. We attracted many goons to come back and play blops because many people were fed up with MW3's bullshit spawn system and schizophrenic action.

edit: I was CAL-I for CS1.6 back in the day. I played EQ all throughout middle school and into my freshman year of HS. I was actually the main off-tank on my servers first Veeshan AND Sleepers raid at like 12 or 13 years old.

In conclusion:
gently caress Ambassador D'vinn

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 27, 2012

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...

Remy Marathe posted:

I recommend consulting this Guide to Dragonlance Bookshelves should you ever liberate them from their box.

"...a veritable celebrity among bookshelf experts..."

gently caress. It's like you can actually see the cheese pizza cheese in his writing.

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

I put up posters for No TV Week or something in my high school. Trying to get my peers to boycott TV for a week. I would always angrily unplug the Channel One broadcast when I was a library aide. I liked to read Adbusters.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I was late for work because I was putting a Formula 1 race on to a flash drive for me to watch there since the boss was out.

I didn't get it on because it was going too slow and I had start over again because something dropped right on the spacebar, cancelling the transfer. I lost the flash drive later that day.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I had this super nerdy guy in my watch section in the military. He had action figures with him on deployment and everything. Long watches in the desert led to odd conversations. Also in my watch section was your stereotypical military tough guy. We were reservists so tough guy was a cop for his civilian job. One night super nerd starts sperging about star destroyer statistics, going on and on about turbolasers or whatnot. Most of us were trying to ignore him and finally tough guy jumps into the discussion and starts arguing star destroyer stats back with super nerd. It turns out that military stereotype was a closet sci fi nerd and just hid it real well. He knew all the names of the star wars extras, ship details, you name it. After we picked our jaws off the floor most of us had a good nerd conversation to pass the night.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
For the longest time I was an active member of a very popular Grand Theft Auto forum. I was so cool, I got in one of the forums "street crews" and got to post in a private sub-section of the forum for members only. It even came with its own custom badge much like SA has tags. There's another goon on here from there as well. The goons' username gives it away but I don't know if he/she would like to be outed as a GTA nerd as well, so I won't name them.

Topher87
Jun 28, 2008

browntony posted:

You missed a funeral and a wedding to raid? How did your family actually let you get away with that. I mean... your mothers wedding....

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Topher87 posted:

You missed a funeral and a wedding to raid? How did your family actually let you get away with that. I mean... your mothers wedding....

He was farming mats necessary for the online WoW wedding after the reception.

Leon Black
Sep 2, 2004

Say whaaaat?

kastein posted:

I became a bash.org moderator and cleared out the entire moderation queue (remember how it was up around 9000 quotes in queue in early 2007?) in a week. I've moderated over 100 thousand quotes since then, chances are if yours got rejected it was me who did it. Sorry :v: bash's 15 minutes of fame have been over for years, so hopefully this one doesn't get me shot or something.

Huh, never thought I'd see another bash.org mod here. I used to moderate it as "Neon" back in the day. My kill rate for quotes was something like 99.98, you really had to mine through some poo poo for a semi-decent quote.

I also have a Sega Saturn logo tattooed on me. The tattoo artist asked me if it was my first time going outside :(

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I got 20,000 gamer points in two years. Closer to a year and a half. I am also the max level in Skyrim (through cheating though). :ninja:

More cringeworthy: I used to be obsessed with J-Rock and had naked pictures of Gackt plastered all over everything I owned, and I would change the school computers' background images to J-rock people in bondage leather gear. I thought it was appropriate to BLAST their music in the hallway in high school. No wonder everyone thought I was a weirdo. :smith:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Leon Black posted:

Huh, never thought I'd see another bash.org mod here. I used to moderate it as "Neon" back in the day. My kill rate for quotes was something like 99.98, you really had to mine through some poo poo for a semi-decent quote.

I also have a Sega Saturn logo tattooed on me. The tattoo artist asked me if it was my first time going outside :(

Pretty sure I've seen quotes you approved! I'm at like 99.4% kill rate, blax put in a spam filter we threw together and that took the spam submission rate from like 80% to down around zero. I was killing something like 800-900 quotes a week through most of 07-09 or so. After the site went down for a few months in late 09 the submission rate plummeted.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

kastein posted:

Pretty sure I've seen quotes you approved! I'm at like 99.4% kill rate, blax put in a spam filter we threw together and that took the spam submission rate from like 80% to down around zero. I was killing something like 800-900 quotes a week through most of 07-09 or so. After the site went down for a few months in late 09 the submission rate plummeted.

kastein posted:

I completely missed the fact that a hot girl I was project partners with (in an engineering course, no less) had a massive crush on me. Multiple people commented on this after the fact. I should see what she's up to these days...
Just a heads up, you may not exactly be in nerd-remission.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I have probably several pounds worth of paper full of drawings inspired by the Far Side, both in the artstyle and the humor. Junior High was too easy, I needed something to do, and the Far Side books from the library just kind of hooked me as a kid.
I don't regret keeping them, and still enjoy looking at them from time to time. Sometimes I even laugh at some of the jokes I made up! :colbert:

e; this isn't a nerdy enough story, I need to embarass myself further.

I also was a member of a Golden Sun (the gba game) themed forum centric on roleplay, fanfiction, and what I believe was referred to was banana pudding, or just a bunch of talking about poo poo whilst making awful sex puns. There was also a few regular discussion areas, which I mostly kept to, but I have on more than one occasion roleplayed with people known for doing really loving racy furry poo poo on the internet, albeit in fairly harmless ones. That site also kindled my love of TF2, League, and Axe Cop. Not sure if anyone else has admitted it at this point, but I also dig Homestuck as a visual experience. The fanbase has me kind of disappointed, and gently caress tumblr. The comic/media thing itself though was a great thing to experience.

Right now, as I type this, a link to this forum is sitting in my top left prime spot of my favorites bar. I click it at least once a day.

:negative:

Although to be fair the site was actually big enough that when Nintendo was releasing Dark Dawn they contacted the site admin and handed him a bunch of sweet stuff to give away as a contest, and I in the process obtained myself about 300 bucks worth of DSiXL, the Dark Dawn game, and a gigantic leather case (like iPad big almost) for it all. Of course the contest was about Golden Sun trivia, so there was no way I was gonna lose that :v:

There that should be enough.

its curtains for Kevin fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 27, 2012

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I wasted a lot of time in WoW. I didn't raid much, but I spent a lot of time doing really, really stupid stuff.

I spent several days killing pirates to get the Hyacinth Macaw vanity pet. I also killed thousands of spiders to get an achievement. This was with a level 80 character, so it wasn't challenging or anything; just a completely mindless grind.

At least I was spending most of that time chatting with real life friends that also played that game.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Topher87 posted:

I'm sure they had been long used to his antics by that time and had given up. WoW changes you man. :smith:

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

River posted:

I'll never dress up for it again.

basx
Aug 16, 2004

Sassy old man!
In high school, a pretty girl asked to ride along with me on an errand to another town.

She was a beautiful redhead, but I was crazy about another girl who gave nota drat about me.

As we're driving along a rural road, the redhead asks me if I want to kiss.

"Uhh I can't, I'm driving right now."

Oh younger me, if I could only talk to you for ten minutes, ages 16-21 would have been a non-stop sex fiesta.

VV Look at this guy, confusing accomplishment and talent with nerditude. VV

basx fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Nov 28, 2012

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
-In the 8th grade, my father and I were interested in computers, so we built one. A kit based on the Altair 8800 and the S-100 bus. (this was 1975, long before the PC)

-Because of my "expertise" in computers, I was asked to become part of the "elite" computer team in my freshman year of high school (1976). We had a teletype and a suitcase-sized modem. This allowed me to connect with MIT and do data searches on their mainframe.

-I became an early Hacker by figuring out how to access parts of the mainframe that I was not supposed to. This included their proto-email, which allowed me to contact various grad students and professors. This access I used to ask questions about the then-new science of genetic engineering.

-This ultimately led them to grant me limited access (in exchange for no more hacking attempts) and the login name "genesplicer". It also granted me access to something called the ARPANET, which allowed me to communicate via computer with people in other parts of the United States! This lasted until I moved to Colorado over the summer.

-I subscribed to the ultimate science fiction magazine, "Omni" I actually subscribed before it was released, simply based on early rumors about how awesome it was going to be. I mean, Bob Guccione of "Penthouse" magazine was behind it...

I had the complete collection of the first 10 years of Omni, 1978 - 1988. Until the box disappeared. Never saw them again. I sometimes consider going to eBay and bidding on some older issues...

- I bought one of the first "portable" computers, the Osborne 1. It had 64K ram, and ran CP/M. I signed up to become a dealer, convinced that the Osborne was the wave of the future. A few months later, IBM released its first PC, and CP/M machines sailed into the sunset. I still have my Osborne. It still works.

-While I've never owned a Fedora, but I've owned 3 Muirs (styled after the hat John Muir wore while galavanting all over the west.) I'd get a porkpie, but I look ridiculous in one. I also have a white Panama that my Mother-in-law got for me, in Panama.

-I don't have a trench coat, but I do have a long, black leather coat.

-My favorite coat is my Pea Coat. I was never in the military, but my Father-in-law was, and this coat was his. He wore it during WWII.

-My wife was in college when we met. I had just graduated. Part of the reason she agreed to go out with me more than once was because she learned I had a computer and printer that would allow her to word process her term papers. It was a Commodore 64 running the PaperClip word processing program (Store up to 3 pages of text! Link files together to create larger documents!)

-I was a tutor on QuantumLink (the Commodore 64 online community.) I tutored biology. Back then, online services were a billed-by-the-minute sort of deal, I was paid in minutes, so it worked out quite nicely. Eventually QuantumLink changed its name to America Online. You may have heard of them. My girlfriend (now Mrs. Genesplicer) knew when I would be tutoring, so she'd call me and cause call waiting to shut down my connection. This meant a couple of minutes until I'd get reconnected.

-I played every Infocom game I could get my hands on.

And my spergiest bit:

-We had cable long before we had a VCR. I ran my cable connection in my bedroom through my stereo for an early Home Theater effect. I then figured out that I could audio tape the movies I was watching. Later, even if I couldn't see them, I could still hear them. I would listen to movies every day on the hour-long trip to my college classes. Over and over in some cases. I can still repeat Star Wars (episode 4), Wrath of Khan, and Ghostbusters verbatim from memory.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

This all seems so much more productive, creative and interesting than "I sperged my WoW Goblin-Gigolo to level 100".

Old nerds is best nerds.

CheeseKate
Feb 13, 2004
I have several (5+) manually registered, completed and maintained Facebook accounts so that I can be self-sufficient in The Sims Social. In fact, I only have Facebook to play The Sims Social.

:(

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

genesplicer posted:

-I was a tutor on QuantumLink (the Commodore 64 online community.) I tutored biology. Back then, online services were a billed-by-the-minute sort of deal, I was paid in minutes, so it worked out quite nicely. Eventually QuantumLink changed its name to America Online. You may have heard of them. My girlfriend (now Mrs. Genesplicer) knew when I would be tutoring, so she'd call me and cause call waiting to shut down my connection. This meant a couple of minutes until I'd get reconnected.

To be fair, QuantumLink was really loving cool and I wish someone would do a proper emulation of it. ..I have legit GeOS and QL disks for my C64, too...

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
^^^ :hfive:

I have to see if I can find my 5 trillion page download directory or whatever that book was called.

If there is an emulation, it MUST emulate the ~10 second delay in sending/receiving chat messages. It also must emulate the cost/min (adjusted for inflation) by having you literally feed it a quarter every 60 seconds to keep it running.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Absolutely. Also the other week I got a C64 IRC client to connect to my server of choice. Sadly though the server rejected any nick I have it, probably some character encoding issue. I can't say I didn't try though.

Amoan
Nov 5, 2009

LIGHTS!:science:

Kaptain K posted:

I've put a least 1,000 hours into Demon's Souls and Dark Souls combined.

Be wary of pain ahead.
I farmed 5 pure blade stones.

As for myself, other then the stuff already beat to death, For awhile I used NJStar to translate unreleased content in FFXI.

In middle school we had a piano class you could take. I made it my goal to be able to play To Zanarkand from FFX. This led me to transpose much of the music to piano scores on guitar pro by hand. Note by note in a trail and error fashion.

In elementary I used to scourer the massive playground for rocks during recess then go to the library after school to see what i had found.

I checked out a math encyclopedia for so long they let me keep it.

In high school i wrote a program suite for the TI83 to solve many basic equations, do conversions for up to twelve decimals either way based on the nomiclature. I also made it extremely easy for anyone to add equations to it. It also would display a fake memory cleared screen. Many people passed the chem ap test because of it. Not really hard to do at all but i was really proud of it.

I had then entire first season of pokemon recorded on cassettes. I would listen to them if I wanted to "watch" and it wasn't on. Naturally I had every one of the raps IN ORDER as well as the songs they played in the second season after each episode. Together forever etc. etc.

When I wasnt collecting rocks, me and my friends were reenacting pokemon battles. i of course was ALWAYS Golem since he's a rock type so gently caress YES. If we had to go in before we were done, I would always yell EXPLOSION at the top of my lungs to end the battle. Completing the Battle for the sake of completion.

My cousin was the lead in a school musical and was really giving it his all. during the school performance I snuck out and into his classroom to steal his Blue version to play. About half way through the performance he must have noticed that I was playing his gameboy out in the crowd and worked in a "well anything is better then playing pokemon while others perform". The ENTIRE school turned around to stare at me. So I turned the volume down.

I was completely insufferable and inept with girls until I was 17 (and my current girlfriend might argue that I still am). So much so that it got to the point of being branded a stalker and or murderer. Look, all because I made you 365 origami cranes to symbolize the days I think of you a year, I am not obsessed! :gonk:

I once bought a girl chocolates for valentines. She was lactose intolerant. I "smoothly" said something to the effect of, "Well I guess you feel about those chocolates the way I feel about you". AND I WAS RIGHT :unsmith:

Amoan fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 28, 2012

Topher87
Jun 28, 2008

Peenmaster posted:

I'm sure they had been long used to his antics by that time and had given up. WoW changes you man. :smith:

I played 70 days between 17 and 21. 55 of those days between 17-18. Trust me. There was a light. It was my college buddies who refused to respond to the videos of my guild taking down ragnaros... or rage quits of guilds in the MC. Thank god. I can't even... just...thank you.

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

In middle school I always had the most current TSR and Estes catalogs with me. It didn't matter if I was at school or fishing or wherever. I had to plan my next d&d and model rocket purchases.

In highschool, I handed out dubbed cassette copies of Rush's Permanent Waves to everyone that would take one. I literally preached about it. I didn't understand how anyone could think that it was not the most perfect thing ever created.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

River posted:

Molten core seems to be an incredibly effective contraceptive.

I once played Dungeons & Dragons for 3 days straight (no sleep), while dressed head to toe in some shoddy mockup of chain mail that was both extremely uncomfortable and badly sized for me with 3 others in similar getups. I still play that same campaign today, although I'll never dress up for it again.

Tell me more about this, because I can imagine a guy staying up for 3 days straight to do [nerdy activity], probably on drugs, but FOUR PEOPLE? How did you guys even keep gaming that long? Why? Was it for charity? Where'd y'all get the chainmail?

Lost Covenant
Dec 9, 2009

Amoan posted:

In middle school we had a piano class you could take. I made it my goal to be able to play To Zanarkand from FFX. This led me to transpose much of the music to piano scores on guitar pro by hand. Note by note in a trail and error fashion.

Haha, you're not alone there. To Zanarkand is one of two songs I can play competently on the piano, alongside Twilight Over Thanalan from FFXIV. The next three songs I want to learn are from Kingdom Hearts, Homestuck, and Kingdom Hearts 2.

I play a little bit of guitar but only songs I can completely play are (again) FF songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
The piano playlist in my cellphone has some stuff from Chopin, Mozart and Beethoven. The other half is Nier and Final Fantasy X.

Good thing the Bastion soundtrack has no piano version. :spergin:

• Locked thread