Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Magna Kaser posted:

So I guess use whatever you feel like! Chinese cuisine!
Cooking with Chinese characteristics :colbert: or, FIVE THOUSAND YEARS OF RECIPES!

But yeah, okay, I figured there would be several kinds. I'll probably check a few yeasted recipes to get an idea of the percentages and throw some dough together. I'll report back if the results are promising. Hell, I might report back if the results are hilariously terrible!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Mach420 posted:

My pops from Canton says that they usually use shoulder, since tenderloin doesn't have enough fat in it. Tenderloin will be less chewy due to not being tendony, but there's no delicious pig grease for the mouthfeel.

Hmm. I'm making it for a Cantonese person so I'm trying to go traditional, and I thought belly was the cut of choice. Now I'm conflicted.

I guess I could do both. :v: But meat's so damned expensive here.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I made it, using the recipe I linked plus Mach's suggestions (except the fermented bean, didn't have it or want to go looking). It came out great!

It didn't crust as much as I would've liked, I started to broil but the sauce was burning with all the sugar. But it was still really drat good. I want to try with shoulder too.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

I made it, using the recipe I linked plus Mach's suggestions (except the fermented bean, didn't have it or want to go looking). It came out great!

It didn't crust as much as I would've liked, I started to broil but the sauce was burning with all the sugar. But it was still really drat good. I want to try with shoulder too.

Man I need an oven.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Grand Fromage posted:

Remember to leave the fat on the shoulder. There are some very similar central European recipes, so you could look for the correct meat there.

To get better crust, you could just briefly seal the sides and then let it sit on one side. Then the crust forms well on the top. Especially if your meat is lean, you should also pour some water on the meat every now and then.
Adding some swallow slices into the fat layer also improves the crust.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Magna Kaser posted:

Man I need an oven.

I picked up a toaster oven on our Taobao for the equivalent of about $30. The ghost of Pro PRC compels you to Taobao! :v:

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Grand Fromage posted:

That looks fantastic, but maybe a little too much char on it. I think that you can also try using the broiler before you do the honey glaze. The crust will be good but with more, and tastier, charred meat instead of burning sugar.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Mach420 posted:

That looks fantastic, but maybe a little too much char on it. I think that you can also try using the broiler before you do the honey glaze. The crust will be good but with more, and tastier, charred meat instead of burning sugar.

It's just lovely phone camera/lighting/color of the marinade, it wasn't charred at all. The minute the broiler heated up the smoke started and I took it out before anything burned. Going to be hell getting that off my roasting pan though.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Magna Kaser posted:

Man I need an oven.

It really is the single biggest obstacle to cooking at home in China. :( (I don't know about the rest of Asia.)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

It really is the single biggest obstacle to cooking at home in China. :( (I don't know about the rest of Asia.)

Ovens aren't standard in Korea either. They are sold as specialty things though. I got a toaster oven just big enough to fit a duck or a pie in, so that covers most everything I need. There are proper sized ovens too but no need to drop that much money.

First time I had duck with crispy skin and rendered fat instead of the rubbery skin poo poo Koreans like made the purchase completely worth it.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Magna Kaser posted:

Man I need an oven.
I have one of those Mideas. Enough to fit in a chicken, maaaaybe a duck. Works well enough if you scale back the recipes accordingly. The broiler crisps up siew yuk real good. I usually make bread and bring it to work. My coworkers think I'm some kind of bread sorceror.

I finally tried the rotisserie function, and it was... eh. Chicken had nice color, but the temperature wasn't nearly hot enough to crisp the skin. :( Oh well, the five-spice powder made everything better, as it does.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm looking for a cha siu recipe. I found this which looks reasonable but I don't know. Anyone made it before?

This is the char siu rack my father in law built for the convection oven in his restaurant. He'd been making char siu the same way for 20+ years.

I don't have a recipe because it's all in his head, I just wanted to show you his super cool rack. From what I can remember, that appetiteforchina recipe looks about right. For restaurant use he also added red food coloring and let it sit in the marinade overnight. According to my husband, he also knew how to butcher his pork to have the right amount of fat to cook into each piece.

Charmmi fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Nov 15, 2012

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.
Made some char siu tonight with the recipe linked earlier. Smells amazing, tastes even better.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Finally, a GWC dish that I can make at home. Got to try it out some time soon.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

rubbery skin poo poo Koreans like

Eeew, really?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah, duck here is almost invariably smoked and the skin/fat are like chewing on a tire. Koreans really like chewy textured stuff, squid and octopus get overcooked to turn them chewy too.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Happy thanksgiving everyone! Instead of turkey, my family had a huge hairy crab feast. Us southerners use scissors and crackers and tweezers, but a friend of mine from zhejiang just gnashes the shell wish her teeth and rips the crab in half to suck out the goeey yellow brains and yummy part.

The brains are the best. Fancy restaurants make 蟹粉小籠包, xiao long bao dumplings with em to have a golden smooth rich taste. And a dash of sweet vinegar. It's heaven :swoon:

Adrastus
Apr 1, 2012

by toby

caberham posted:

Us southerners use scissors and crackers and tweezers, but a friend of mine from zhejiang just gnashes the shell wish her teeth and rips the crab in half to suck out the goeey yellow brains and yummy part.

Xie Huang are actually gonads and digestive glands
e: :goonsay: I guess

Adrastus fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 24, 2012

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Maybe I'm just a cultural imperialist, but I have yet to see a southerner eat shellfish without being disgusting.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Have you ever been to the American northeast and seen anyone eat lobster?

They give you bibs for a reason...

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Maybe I'm just a cultural imperialist, but I have yet to see anyone eat shellfish without being disgusting.

The quote needs but one correction. Shellfish is sea bug after all, you know.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Jeek posted:

The quote needs but one correction. Shellfish is sea bug after all, you know.

True.

Anecdote: My friend had her hen-night over the course of a weekend in a very remote country cottage in County Mayo. The guests were all old friends of hers but we didn't all know each other, so there was a little bit of relaxing into new friendship. This was accomplished by a meal beginning with crab-claws sautéed in garlic butter.

As implements we had:

2 locking pliars
1 coal hammer
1 nicely shaped stone we found.
0 real crab crackin' tools.

You make friends really quickly when you have to share bizarre and inadequate tools to eat delicious delicious crab.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

When I worked at a crab picking shack, we didn't have any special crab tools either. We used a big, thick plastic cutting board cut into clubs to crack the shells and vegetable peelers to dig meat out of tight spaces. Just those two tools are sufficient for just about everything crab related.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I only ever need a fork. I don't know where I got the technique from and I've never seen anyone else do it to my recollection (not even my parents), but I use the bottom tine like a letter opener along the leg. Crack/cut a line, pull the shell back and have a big ol chunk of crab. Other sections, use the fork kind of like a crowbar.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GrAviTy84 posted:

I only ever need a fork. I don't know where I got the technique from and I've never seen anyone else do it to my recollection (not even my parents), but I use the bottom tine like a letter opener along the leg. Crack/cut a line, pull the shell back and have a big ol chunk of crab. Other sections, use the fork kind of like a crowbar.

That's what I've always done. Gives you a nice seam to open the whole leg and pull the meat in one piece. Way better than squishing it with a cracker.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

/Mild derail/
That meal was actually even more awesome now that I think about it - the main course was rack of lamb but when we went to the butcher to pick some up, he only had about 1/2 of one side of a large lamb ready to go.

We were all "psssh, we're ladies, we need a lot more meat that that thanks" so he hauled a full sheep carcase out of the back storage and cut off another half-sheepsworth of lamb rack right there with a bow saw.

It was loving delicious.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

GrAviTy84 posted:

That's what I do. I feel it's the mark of a true professional crab eater. Much faster and less messy.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

I made this a while ago.

Here are the instructions in a less youtube way (in the form of an imgur album)

YouTube's Wantanmien's Hot and Sour Soup
http://imgur.com/a/lFbl8

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

That's what I do. I feel it's the mark of a true professional crab eater. Much faster and less messy.

I just use my teeth. Bite open, suck, repeat. Messy but satisfying.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Magna Kaser posted:

Have you ever been to the American northeast and seen anyone eat lobster?

They give you bibs for a reason...

Yes, but at least we aren't monsters and only eat the tail, legs, and claws.

Sucking the brains out of seaspiders :stare:

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
The wantanmien channel on youtube is awesome. Lots of my favorite dishes from my childhood. Does anyone know of any other similar channels? Being in Cantonese is awesome to, as I don't really know the English names for a lot of stuff.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Saint Darwin posted:

Yes, but at least we aren't monsters and only eat the tail, legs, and claws.

Sucking the brains out of seaspiders :stare:

I don't know where you're from, but in Maine it's pretty common for people to eat more than just that. Especially older people, who will tell you the tomalley is the best part.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger
All I know is that Cantonese Style Lobster is one of the most decadent and tasty flavor profiles for bugs I've ever had. Beats the hell out of just grilled and butter in my opinion.

Josie
Apr 26, 2007

With tales of brave Ulysses; how his naked ears were tortured; By the sirens sweetly singing.

A Chinese restaurant recently opened in my town which is so insanely awesome, and feels ttoally un-westernised (even down to the flourescent lighting and dubbed dramas on the TV). Love love love.

Anyway, they're northern-style Chinese and they have a braised pot pork that is seriously to die for. Would any of you have a recipe like that? (I know this isn't very specific, but I'm just after ideas, not replicating their recipe).

The sad thing about this restaurant is that it isn't well patroned, even though it is seriously the best Chinese food I've had outside of China. Hope it doesn't close before we get back from overseas :(

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Josie posted:

Anyway, they're northern-style Chinese and they have a braised pot pork that is seriously to die for. Would any of you have a recipe like that? (I know this isn't very specific, but I'm just after ideas, not replicating their recipe).

Does the dish look anything like this? It would help if you have the Chinese name as well.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Josie posted:

Does it have eggplant? Does the menu item mention Yu Xiang?

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Peven Stan posted:

Does it have eggplant? Does the menu item mention Yu Xiang?

If you are thinking of the same dish as I do, it is more about the eggplant than the pork, plus no braising would be involved.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I'm guessing it's Hong Shao Rou 红烧肉 since it's sometimes cooked and served in a clay pot and is almost always translated as "braised pork".

Also you can get 鱼香... anything. Eggplant is probably the most common, but I've seen 肉丝、土豆、肉片等等 as well. Shandong and Liaoning especially love the yuxiang flavor!

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Dec 5, 2012

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hong Shao Rou was also Mao's favorite. Fun story: I got the worst 红烧肉 I have ever been served in Shaoshan, Mao's birthplace.

Josie: China has a couple hundred braised pork dishes. Without more information everyone here is just making random guesses! Please tell us more so we can salivate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I finally got actual Shaoxing wine thanks to a lovely man named caberham. :911:

I'm only going to use it for cooking. Should I keep it in the fridge after I open or does it not matter?