Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I almost poo poo a brick when I thought the 2lp test presses were $25 each!

I love the poster and the office/Disney shopping spree is hilarious. I haven't bought anything from them in a long time but this a good chance to support a cool label.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Snowy posted:

I almost poo poo a brick when I thought the 2lp test presses were $25 each!

I love the poster and the office/Disney shopping spree is hilarious. I haven't bought anything from them in a long time but this a good chance to support a cool label.

Yep, also, who doesn't want to see these reissues come to fruition? I have the We are the Romans reissue and it is a wonderful thing, I have no doubt these will be high quality too:

Hydra Head posted:

Upcoming vinyl reissues and represses that we are currently working on for 2013 include:
Botch American Nervoso 2xLP (deluxe vinyl reissue)
CAVE IN (official) Until Your Heart Stops 2xLP
CAVE IN Jupiter LP
Converge Caring and Killing 2xLP (first time on vinyl)
Discordance Axis Jouhou 2xLP (deluxe vinyl reissue)
DROWNINGMAN Busy Signal at the Suicide Hotline LP
JESU Conqueror 2xLP

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
So excited for the Until Your Heart Stops repress. I just hope they repress We Are the Romans again because I've been dreading having to eventually pay ebay prices for those records.

Nosferatu Man
Nov 10, 2008

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Sgt. Pepper comes with the cutouts that are nigh impossible to find affordably nowadays.

It's pretty drat difficult to get a decent copy of a non-compilation Beatles album at a used record store. When they're in, they're gone in a flash. If you're lucky enough to find one, a scrupulous record store will charge you fairly. An unscrupulous one won't, because gently caress it- somebody will always buy it.

Oh man, I got an original pressing of Sgt. Pepper with the cutouts for $8. Found original White Album and Revolver for $20. 'Tis a good shop.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I have this pressing of Sgt. Pepper's, with the cutouts and in top condition. It sounds great too, would recommend. Set me back $60 though :australia:

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
I have the weirdest pressing of Sgt. Pepper. It was a family hand me down. Made in Hong Kong or Singapore if I'm not mistaken. The serial numbers are oh so close to legit ones but the track listing is all hosed up with missing songs. Quite a fun bootleg though.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Ron Burgundy posted:

I have the weirdest pressing of Sgt. Pepper. It was a family hand me down. Made in Hong Kong or Singapore if I'm not mistaken. The serial numbers are oh so close to legit ones but the track listing is all hosed up with missing songs. Quite a fun bootleg though.

Let me guess - did they replace some of the songs with songs from Magical Mystery Tour? http://www.beatlesagain.com/btsgtppr.html

If so, it might actually be legit. I just find it funny that to get rid of the drug references, they replaced one of the songs with "I Am the Walrus." Certainly, no drugs went into the recording of that song.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Nosferatu Man posted:

Oh man, I got an original pressing of Sgt. Pepper with the cutouts for $8. Found original White Album and Revolver for $20. 'Tis a good shop.

A good shop, indeed. The only (affordable) albums I've ever found in record shops are the red and blue compilations, assorted bootlegs/film soundtracks/cash-in releases, and their solo releases- and I've been collecting records for a while now. I remember spotting an original pressing of Rubber Soul at a record store once, but it was $95.

Where do you live, by any chance? I've had more luck finding particularly desirable/sought-after records cheaply in the rural areas just outside big metropolitan centers than in the centers themselves. Over the last year, I've been splitting my time between Boston and Southern CT. This part of New England is fairly well-off with a lot of movement and a high concentration of educated- often artsy- people....in short, there are a lot of record stores that get a lot of interesting stock moving through them, but also a lot of customers (students, mainly) going after that stock with plenty of money.

Step slightly out- like, say, southern Maine, and IMO you've got a potential goldmine if you're willing to dig. I make a point to hit a few record stores/thrift stores/flea markets whenever I head back to Maine and I never come home empty-handed.

But, like going full retard- if you go too far into the Boonies, the well dries up pretty fast.

dutch wife abc
Apr 25, 2012

gently caress and hellllllll so much money running thru my hands!

Discordance Axis LP's is pretty much exactly what I need at the moment.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Norman Greenbaum signed and gave me an original pressing of Spirit in the Sky.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Norman Greenbaum signed and gave me an original pressing of Spirit in the Sky.

Why?

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
He and my dad are buddies, and he knows I have a record collection. Gotta get rid of 'em somehow, I guess. ;)

dutch wife abc
Apr 25, 2012
I also received the deluxe edition of NON's new album yesterday, which also came signed, complete with a little doodle of his trademark wolfsangle symbol. Plus, the album is VERY good.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

He and my dad are buddies, and he knows I have a record collection. Gotta get rid of 'em somehow, I guess. ;)

Exploiting cool family relationships is the best. My cousin's college roommate is Keith Richards' nephew by marriage and the dude gets so many perks it's unreal- apartment access, tickets, internships, you name it. My cousin played Chinese checkers with Keith at a family barbecue he was invited to one time. :allears:

*I know this has nothing to do with vinyl but it's better than talking about using my aunt's boat or grandpa's timeshare or whatever. Come to think of it- I think the dude collects vinyl too. He must have the most bitchin' collection....

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
Does anyone here own the Queens of the Stone Age Rated R reissue that came out last year? How does it sound?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Harry Privates posted:

Does anyone here own the Queens of the Stone Age Rated R reissue that came out last year? How does it sound?
Do you mean the Lullabies To Paralyze reissue? I don't know about it (other than being pissed that they didn't use the Ant Acid release, dropping the b-sides for an etched side).

As far as Rated R, I believe only the original release is very good. Subsequent releases are apparently manufactured in Europe and use the CD master which is compressed to hell.

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
It was Lullabies my mistake. I wish they'd reissue Songs for the Deaf at some point so many bootlegs of it out there. Ill have to research Rated R and see what version to buy.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Let me guess - did they replace some of the songs with songs from Magical Mystery Tour? http://www.beatlesagain.com/btsgtppr.html

If so, it might actually be legit. I just find it funny that to get rid of the drug references, they replaced one of the songs with "I Am the Walrus." Certainly, no drugs went into the recording of that song.

Haha Yes!, it's that exact back cover. I've only ever tried searching with the serial which is SLPEA 1006 which never netted me that page before. Thanks Gator!

Oh and by the way vinyl thread. When I first started collecting records about a decade ago (I was a really cool 15 year old) I saw a picture of a record player on the internet and I knew that one day I had to have one. It arrived in the post today! My new pride and once it's cleaned and greased, joy. The 1960(ish) Garrard 4HF in it's rare matching white enamel and red rubber plinth. These were usually bought chassis only and installed in radiograms/consoles. The arm tracks happiest at about 3 grams minimum, so it will be on 78 and old mono duty mostly. The cartridge is currently a turnover Ronette crystal, but the headshells are plentiful as they match other models, so I'll put a low compliance stereo mag cart in another soon enough.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Heads up: Baroness just put up a bunch of their hardbound book vinyl special edition of Yellow/Green for sale. These are presumably the same ones they had up for preorder before the album came out, but these were meant to be sold at shows. Since the band can't tour right now, they've got them up here for $50: http://baroness.bandcamp.com/album/yellow-green

They've got pictures on the site but what you can't see is that the LPs go into special sleeves in the front and back of the book. It's really cool packaging. The only downside is that the art within is not actually by John Baizley, which is what I had assumed, but it's still really neat/gorgeous and the lyrics are all alongside the art.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
That's also an awesome way to buy it, as the money goes directly to the band.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

Harry Privates posted:

It was Lullabies my mistake. I wish they'd reissue Songs for the Deaf at some point so many bootlegs of it out there. Ill have to research Rated R and see what version to buy.

Honestly just wait on it (unless you luck into a great deal) because they will likely to a proper, full on reissue just like with self-titled last year. Then, you can either buy a brand new pressing or pick up an original after the value drops to a more reasonable price.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Well my Nevermind special edition 4 LP thingie came today aaaand... well it is the worst sounding vinyl I've ever heard. It sounds like absolute loving garbage. Loudness war bullshit.

I should have just trusted the Amazon reviews... if anyone is planning on getting this just stay away. Stay far away. At least it looks good on the shelf.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Harry Privates posted:

I wish they'd reissue Songs for the Deaf at some point so many bootlegs of it out there.
Quite frankly I'm mystified as to why Interscope/Universal didn't re-release it this year. 10th anniversary of their biggest selling album and...nothing? Not even in lovely limited release for Record Store Day?

thathonkey posted:

Well my Nevermind special edition 4 LP thingie came today aaaand... well it is the worst sounding vinyl I've ever heard. It sounds like absolute loving garbage. Loudness war bullshit.
Yep. Used the same brickwalled master as the CD and digital distribution.

What blew me away about that release is including the boombox demos. Anything would have been more appropriate to release on vinyl than that, even just not including those discs.

No doubt next year's In Utero 20th anniversary will be just as lovely.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Cheesus posted:

What blew me away about that release is including the boombox demos.

Yup. They sound just as bad as you might think. I can safely say I'll never be returning any of these LPs to my turntable... thinking about just selling it. I got it almost 50% off on a Amazon black friday lightning deal.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

thathonkey posted:

Yup. They sound just as bad as you might think. I can safely say I'll never be returning any of these LPs to my turntable... thinking about just selling it. I got it almost 50% off on a Amazon black friday lightning deal.

I've already seen a couple of those going used in local stores for 40-50. You can make your money back if you move quick.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

That's also an awesome way to buy it, as the money goes directly to the band.

Edit: This is what I get when I step outside and my friends pounce...

Although that doesn't really help me.

Cemetry Gator fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 29, 2012

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Cemetry Gator posted:

I love being gay.l

Me too. It's pretty awesome.

David Mountford
Feb 16, 2012

Cemetry Gator posted:

I love being gay.l

Cool.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I did ask the other day, what's more "hipster" right now, collecting video games, or collecting vinyl. Unanimously, vinyl.

That's fine with me, nobody want to sit and listen to 8-bit beeps when you can listen to electronic music records instead.

In other news, MGMT posted that their store is 25% off until 11:59 EST today. Their "Oracular Spectacular" LP is on sale for $12.75. There's a 12" single I'm not familiar with as well, at http://mgmt.kungfustore.com/

e: cheapest shipping is $8+ for me so I will grab it at the local shop instead.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Partycat posted:

I did ask the other day, what's more "hipster" right now, collecting video games, or collecting vinyl. Unanimously, vinyl.

That's fine with me, nobody want to sit and listen to 8-bit beeps when you can listen to electronic music records instead.

I got told by a video game "collector" (he really just buys assloads of current gen games) recently that buying all these "$2000 albums" is a huge waste of money so apparently some would rather listen to 8 bit beeps and MIDI orchestration I guess

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Every one of my records cost $2000+. I have never played a single one of them, and they are kept in their original packaging so my children can one day sell them for millions.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Partycat posted:

In other news, MGMT posted that their store is 25% off until 11:59 EST today. Their "Oracular Spectacular" LP is on sale for $12.75. There's a 12" single I'm not familiar with as well, at http://mgmt.kungfustore.com/

e: cheapest shipping is $8+ for me so I will grab it at the local shop instead.

It's a single from Congratulations. If you already have that album it's a waste of money. If you don't have that album, buy that album.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Every one of my records cost $2000+. I have never played a single one of them, and they are kept in their original packaging so my children can one day sell them for millions.

Someone at my local store was buying one of the new copies of Revolver, and she was talking about how she won't open it so she can sell it for tons of money in the future for the kids. Didn't have the heart to tell her how mistaken she was.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
Pre-orders are up for the new Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds album, Push The Sky Away.

http://www.nickcave.com/

The super-deluxe set is really loving tempting, but it works out to AU$175, which is a bit too much for me atm. It contains all this stuff:

Nick Cave posted:

Includes:
CD Album and vinyl album [180gm Heavyweight Vinyl]
DVD with specially created visuals by artists Iain Forsyth & Jane Pollard
2 x exclusive 7" vinyls containing non album bonus tracks
Exclusive 120-page replica of Nick Cave's handwritten, hand stamped and hand glued notebooks
Numbered certificate of authenticity signed by Nick Cave (original signature limited to first 300 orders)
Exclusive liner notes

Drool.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cheesus posted:

Quite frankly I'm mystified as to why Interscope/Universal didn't re-release it this year. 10th anniversary of their biggest selling album and...nothing? Not even in lovely limited release for Record Store Day?

It's because hipsters like me couldn't give two shits about QoTSA. :iamafag:

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

dflanny posted:

Pre-orders are up for the new Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds album, Push The Sky Away.

http://www.nickcave.com/

The super-deluxe set is really loving tempting, but it works out to AU$175, which is a bit too much for me atm. It contains all this stuff:

Drool.

gently caress it, ordered it. I adored Dig, Lazarus, Dig. I trust Cave.

david puddy posted:

I got told by a video game "collector" (he really just buys assloads of current gen games) recently that buying all these "$2000 albums" is a huge waste of money so apparently some would rather listen to 8 bit beeps and MIDI orchestration I guess

Exactly; you can just do both.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Nov 29, 2012

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Dissapointed Owl posted:

gently caress it, ordered it. I adored Dig, Lazarus, Dig. I trust Cave.

I love Cave, and my finger hovered over the trigger, but it's the wrong time of year to spend that kind of money on a record. Plus I blew all my money on that Sufjan Stevens Silver & Gold vinyl box, the limited mailorder one :shepface:

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Per Facebook, Converge's newest is finally headed to Deathwish & Kingsroad, so orders should ship soon.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Parachute Underwear posted:

Per Facebook, Converge's newest is finally headed to Deathwish & Kingsroad, so orders should ship soon.

thank gently caress. Jacob told me at a show it would be out "in a couple weeks" back at the beginning of the month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

alg posted:

thank gently caress. Jacob told me at a show it would be out "in a couple weeks" back at the beginning of the month.

You're telling me. I've had a 6 LP order held up because of that record :v: