Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Read posted:

Do you want to open the Task Manager or do something else? If it's just the task manager you can run taskmgr at the command line.

What I'm actually having a problem with is sending the ctrl-alt-del signal to a Windows VM console that I'm accessing via several layers of RDP. The normal ctrl-alt-insert isn't working (just releases the mouse cursor from the console), and I was thinking it might be related to this somehow. I've not had a problem with this before, so I'm not sure what the deal is.

e: Guess I should have been more up-front in my original question, so sorry about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Pilsner posted:

Switch to qBittorrent. uTorrent was deliberately turned into an ad machine. I like how they still have their old slogan "a (very) tiny BitTorrent client" on their site.

Can you turn off that left-hand frame in QB with all the headings?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Not sure if this goes here, but I just updated my AMD drivers to 12.8 (XP SP3) and for some reason moving an Explorer or application window around is really janky all of a sudden, like it's struggling to update the position, while resizing makes it flicker. What could be causing this?

EDIT: You know what, nevermind, these drivers are obviously complete poo poo and introduced more problems than they were supposed to fix. Rolled back to 11.2.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Nov 30, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Ok, I'm encountering a strange issue that hardly warrants its own thread so I hope this would be a better place to ask.

So I recently (within the last couple weeks) completely rebuilt my PC from the ground up by wiping out the Hard Drive and going from there. After installing Windows 7 onto a fresh partition and then doing all the updates, installing all my applications and programs, and putting my backup in place, I installed Microsoft Security Essentials as I usually do.

I did a full scan, simple enough, and it scanned for 45ish minutes around 900,000ish items on my PC. Well today I did another full scan just to keep on top of things and the scan completed after about 500,000ish items over 25 minutes. Thinking it just was kind of quirky I did the scan again with the same result. So my question is, why is MSE no longer scanning all of my files/folders/etc even though I set it to a "full" scan? Is this normal that it no longer scans everything or what?

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 30, 2012

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Slashdot is going nuts about a report that MSE didn't get the AV-Test Certified award this quarter, but it's loving Slashdot, and I think everyone there would poo poo themselves in pleasure if somebody reported Microsoft's stock price ever went down by $1. Without getting into a drawn-out argument about antivirus software, is there anything the average user should worry about?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I have a feeling the protection being less efficient has more to do with all the virus programmers dealing with MSE being the new king of the block, in a way. It happened with Norton, it happened with AVG...I think it's just not possible to be the number one AV solution for very long just by nature of the industry. Probably not enough of an issue right now to worry about changing your family members' PCs over or whatever, but might be worth exploring for yourself. ZoneAlarm seemed to have the highest rating out of the free antivirus solutions, and Bitdefender had the highest overall.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
One of the reasons MSE/Windows Defender scores so low is because it's designed to have as few false positives as possible, require as little intervention as possible to run, and be as little of a burden on the computer as possible. If you want something with a higher detection rate, you're going to have more false positives and/or worse performance. I'd say there are four levels of people who use computers:

1. People who know nothing about safe browsing and would just ignore any warnings an antivirus program would give them.
  2. People who know about safe browsing, use Firefox or Chrome and turn on AdBlock and click-to-play.
  3. People who know about safe browsing but are too lazy to do the above.
  4. People with bosses who know nothing about safe browsing and probably aren't even keeping backups of their servers.

Unless you're in a corporate environment where the extra features from a corporate antivirus solution would come in handy, MSE/Windows Defender + Chrome/Firefox + AdBlock/ABP + click-to-play + a hardware firewall should prevent 99.9% of malware from hitting your system. Doing stuff like running 64-bit Windows, showing file extensions, keeping up-to-date, and using UAC would pretty much eliminate any malware outside of "Hey look at this cool attachment my friend sent me! I'll open it without checking to make sure it isn't an EXE!" or "There's a CD-R lying on the ground! Let's plug it in and see what's on it!"

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

On the topic of MSE does anyone have any idea about my scanning issue?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

On the topic of MSE does anyone have any idea about my scanning issue?

Have any folders been added to your excluded files and locations?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

dpbjinc posted:

Unless you're in a corporate environment where the extra features from a corporate antivirus solution would come in handy, MSE/Windows Defender + Chrome/Firefox + AdBlock/ABP + click-to-play + a hardware firewall should prevent 99.9% of malware from hitting your system. Doing stuff like running 64-bit Windows, showing file extensions, keeping up-to-date, and using UAC would pretty much eliminate any malware outside of "Hey look at this cool attachment my friend sent me! I'll open it without checking to make sure it isn't an EXE!" or "There's a CD-R lying on the ground! Let's plug it in and see what's on it!"

PSI is a great little tool. :3:

iKickDogs
Aug 31, 2001

Pilsner posted:

Switch to qBittorrent. uTorrent was deliberately turned into an ad machine. I like how they still have their old slogan "a (very) tiny BitTorrent client" on their site.

How dare they.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
What exactly is Microsoft NET (in laymans terms please)?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

iKickDogs posted:

How dare they.

I hadn't checked the memory usage, but when downloading these kinds of free tools I'm more concerned about them not having bloat or ads, not being bundled with OpenCandy or search tool bars and such. I know it's petty to expect everything to be free and without ads, but every time my current favorite in a certain category turns to ads and bloat, that's when I usually find a new favorite that's not only better but also less bloated. It's partly a matter of principle.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Pilsner posted:

qBittorrent was great.

Except it literally forgot where it was in every torrent loaded into it after a crash. Sure, it might be just fine rechecking things (I can't speak for people who run torrents the size of a five-year-old hard drive), but it's hard to trust a piece of software after an incident like that.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sir Unimaginative posted:

qBittorrent was great.

Except it literally forgot where it was in every torrent loaded into it after a crash. Sure, it might be just fine rechecking things (I can't speak for people who run torrents the size of a five-year-old hard drive), but it's hard to trust a piece of software after an incident like that.

uTorrent has done this to me pretty much every time it's crashed.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

stubblyhead posted:

What I'm actually having a problem with is sending the ctrl-alt-del signal to a Windows VM console that I'm accessing via several layers of RDP. The normal ctrl-alt-insert isn't working (just releases the mouse cursor from the console), and I was thinking it might be related to this somehow. I've not had a problem with this before, so I'm not sure what the deal is.

e: Guess I should have been more up-front in my original question, so sorry about that.

I don't know the keyboard shortcut for you, but I have a shoddy workaround suggestion. Turn on the Onscreen Keyboard in the Windows VM and hit CTRL+ALT+DEL on that.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

thebigcow posted:

Have any folders been added to your excluded files and locations?

Nope, i have no excluded files at all.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

b0nes posted:

What exactly is Microsoft NET (in laymans terms please)?

If you mean the .NET (dot net) Framework you might have to install, it's basically a platform people use to make Windows applications, usually with Visual Studio. It's the environment they run in, and it provides a bunch of useful features and resources developers can make use of, so they can get on with making things happen instead of worrying about low-level technical issues and reinventing the wheel. It also means Microsoft can patch and update the framework separately, so everything that uses it sees the benefits automatically. It's installed as part of later versions of Windows, but for things like XP you'll probably have to install it.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
It's been awhile since I messed around with symlink's in Windows 7, so I wanted to ask if this is the correct way of doing things before I try it. The goal is to link my Libraries Music/Videos/Pictures folders to their respective folder on my second harddrive, to do this would it look something like this for music?

mklink /D C:\Users\name\Music D:\Music

Is /D the correct type to use or is /J better? This always confused me for when to use soft vs hard links. Lastly these folders already exist, obviously the Library one because its part of Windows and all my music is already being stored on my other drive, so will the link it makes overwrite anything? The only other time I've messed with symlink's was for moving Steam games around, but that was just creating a new folder (shortcut/link) that wasn't there before.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
Firstly, don't worry about the command line, just use symlinker.

As for the link type, I've been using directory junctions (/j) to move games out of my steamapps folder, and it functions as though it's accessing the actual folder where the junction is located. (The junction shows up with a shortcut icon on it, but it shows the junction path when you open it rather than the actual path.)

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Im_Special posted:

It's been awhile since I messed around with symlink's in Windows 7, so I wanted to ask if this is the correct way of doing things before I try it. The goal is to link my Libraries Music/Videos/Pictures folders to their respective folder on my second harddrive, to do this would it look something like this for music?

mklink /D C:\Users\name\Music D:\Music

Is /D the correct type to use or is /J better? This always confused me for when to use soft vs hard links. Lastly these folders already exist, obviously the Library one because its part of Windows and all my music is already being stored on my other drive, so will the link it makes overwrite anything? The only other time I've messed with symlink's was for moving Steam games around, but that was just creating a new folder (shortcut/link) that wasn't there before.

Don't overthink this. Go into your profile in its current location, right click the folder you want to change, properties, click the location tab, then select the folder you want it to be in. It doesn't gently caress about with the library, it changes the underlying folder.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
All I'm going to say is yup I was over thinking this problems way to much, I actually just went with, start button > right click on folder to properties > "include a folder", then just removed the "group by" location.

underlig
Sep 13, 2007
So i need to test how well an analogue phone-line works, it's connected to a machine via some pci-modem card.

What would i need on my laptop to have something respond when i call this number using my cellphone? Just to pick up the line so i can hear if there's static / interference or not.

I feel like an idiot because i can not even google for the information i need, i can't concentrate enough because my girlfriend's keeps yapping about something meaningless.
Is it a bbs software i need? Can i dial in and have hyperterm or something answer?

Just the simplest shortest test possible.
Win7 laptop with builtin 56k modem, phoneline, something that answers the call...

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Does it have to be comptuer hardware? Can't you just plug in an old phone to test?

cliffy
Apr 12, 2002

Is there a program for Windows that will multiplex audio output from a program so that it can be heard on multiple outputs?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

cliffy posted:

Is there a program for Windows that will multiplex audio output from a program so that it can be heard on multiple outputs?

Virtual Audio Cable is probably going to be the answer

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Are anytime upgrades tied to the original key that was upgraded?

My situation is that I have a MSDNAA license on Win7 Pro on my desktop; my laptop came with Win7 Pro but I did the anytime upgrade to ultimate because I like full drive encryption on a laptop and bitlocker is better optimized than truecrypt for use on SSDs. Now, just for the hell of it, I picked up a $35 Windows 8 pro upgrade on black friday thinking it'd be fun to play with at that price even if I'm not gung ho about upgrading for good... but the Windows 8 pro box says that Pro now includes Bitlocker. If I install Windows 8 to test on my laptop and I end up keeping it, is it possible to apply the anytime ultimate upgrade to the other windows 7 pro installation on my desktop? I don't guess there's any way I could sell the key since I don't really need Ultimate on the desktop either?

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
I have a truckload of CBR/CBZ files (used for comics, it are just renamed RAR/ZIP archives) and I want to mass test the archives to make sure none of them are corrupted -- as is often the case. In WinRar I can right click on a folder and select "test archived files" and it'll do this. However, it only does this for file-types it recognizes (so RAR/ZIP, not CBR/CBZ). Does anyone know a way to mass test compressed files?

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

Grawl posted:

I have a truckload of CBR/CBZ files (used for comics, it are just renamed RAR/ZIP archives) and I want to mass test the archives to make sure none of them are corrupted -- as is often the case. In WinRar I can right click on a folder and select "test archived files" and it'll do this. However, it only does this for file-types it recognizes (so RAR/ZIP, not CBR/CBZ). Does anyone know a way to mass test compressed files?

Change the extention to .rar/.zip? http://www.den4b.com/?x=products&product=renamer

cliffy
Apr 12, 2002

HalloKitty posted:

Virtual Audio Cable is probably going to be the answer

Thanks, that seem to work perfectly. I'm still a bit surprised this type of functionality isn't available in Windows out of the box.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

I understand that's the easiest solution, but I'd rather keep the extensions the way they are.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Grawl posted:

I understand that's the easiest solution, but I'd rather keep the extensions the way they are.

Change them back when you've tested them?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

cliffy posted:

Thanks, that seem to work perfectly. I'm still a bit surprised this type of functionality isn't available in Windows out of the box.

Yup. It'd be nice if they worked in baking on basic useful functionality into the OS as opposed to touch screen "my first tablet" shite.

Movac
Oct 31, 2012

Grawl posted:

7-Zip's shell extension will work with archives whatever their extensions are. I'm not sure if the context-menu option to test archives is enabled by default, so you might need to turn it on in the 7-Zip tab of 7-Zip's options dialog.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

cliffy posted:

We're all stumped, but according to Microsoft it's by design. Nobody knows why though.

FYI, if starting the repeaters every time is a hassle, the last reply on this page goes into making a batch file for that.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
The contents of my C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys folder are unmoveable, but scattered in a way that causes a lot of file fragmentation at the start of my system drive. I tried using a defrag utility in safe mode, but it still couldn't move them out of the way. Is there any way to tidy them up?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Dark One posted:

The contents of my C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys folder are unmoveable, but scattered in a way that causes a lot of file fragmentation at the start of my system drive. I tried using a defrag utility in safe mode, but it still couldn't move them out of the way. Is there any way to tidy them up?

Why do you consider this a problem?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Why do you consider this a problem?

Many people still can't let go of the way things were done 10 years ago. This is the reason why there are still task killers on Android, and DiskKeeper is still a product.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
So this is a little problem I've been having with Winamp lately, I can't seem to use it's auto tag feature anymore, not sure why I did use it fine a few months back. I was hoping someone here could either tell me how to fix it or recommend another free program that can get the job done, portable a plus.

I may give Foobar2000 another shot too since I hear it can tag songs, but it always bugged me having a few formats it didn't support unless I associated archived files to it which is dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Im_Special posted:

So this is a little problem I've been having with Winamp lately, I can't seem to use it's auto tag feature anymore, not sure why I did use it fine a few months back. I was hoping someone here could either tell me how to fix it or recommend another free program that can get the job done, portable a plus.

I may give Foobar2000 another shot too since I hear it can tag songs, but it always bugged me having a few formats it didn't support unless I associated archived files to it which is dumb.

It's not hard to add one of the many, many, components to FB2k, and I prefer it even out of the box to Winamp. The only thing I miss is being able to have Milkdrop run out of the box.
Here's the thread for that if you're interested.