Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Guildencrantz posted:

Man, the people saying "I used to play pen and paper RPGs" here get me down. It's not that terrible, you guys :smith:

Hell, I still would if I had the time. And if I knew any quality players who also had the time. But myself and most of my good gaming buddies are all kind of busy with young children these days (I've seen each of them maybe once in the last year); I guess maybe we'll pick up the thread in, oh, ten or twenty years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustBry
Oct 12, 2012
During the LotR craze, a friend and I made lembas bread (multiple times) which is actually rather tasty. I also had a notebook that was decorated with pictures of the characters that I would carry around school.

The same friend and I had a short story series about Fred and George from the Harry Potter series on Quizilla. I think we had around 12 chapters.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Lost Covenant posted:

Haha, you're not alone there. To Zanarkand is one of two songs I can play competently on the piano, alongside Twilight Over Thanalan from FFXIV. The next three songs I want to learn are from Kingdom Hearts, Homestuck, and Kingdom Hearts 2.

I play a little bit of guitar but only songs I can completely play are (again) FF songs.

I am learning the FFVII soundtrack on guitar. It's so good I blast it in my car. I'm so embarrassed about it though. But those midis are amazing!

T-Rexcellent
Nov 1, 2012
In highschool I turned down sex on Valentine's Day to go home and watch Labyrinth. In my defense he was a creep with meth mouth.

I love the renaissance fair and I went for my birthday this year. I wore my RED team TF2 tshirt. When I was 13 my mom was driving us there and me and my sister were in the back watching Star Wars episode 2 on my little dvd player.

My whole senior year of highschool was a blur of awkward sperging. In my portfolio art class I did a series of portraits of fictional guys I liked. This included Jareth, Anton Chigurh, the phantom of the opera, and Darth Vader. Vader is still hanging up over my bed.

I was a DBZ nerd too. I wrote an essay in my senior literature class comparing Anton Chigurh and Raditz. I also wrote erotic fanfiction.

I have a collection of my little ponies. I've been to an anime convention and a furry convention.

My first kiss was with another girl in the girls' bathroom in 6th grade.

I met my current boyfriend online. At least I'm able to maintain a good relationship. :unsmith:

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

T-Rexcellent posted:

In highschool I turned down sex on Valentine's Day to go home and watch Labyrinth. In my defense he was a creep with meth mouth.

Theres no need to be rude about Bowies teeth

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

T-Rexcellent posted:

I was a DBZ nerd too. I wrote an essay in my senior literature class comparing Anton Chigurh and Raditz.

I unironically want to read this, because it's such a :psyduck: concept.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

T-Rexcellent posted:

My first kiss was with another girl in the girls' bathroom in 6th grade.

What a dork! I mean some people like Star Trek but you really are a nerd.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

the black husserl posted:

What a dork! I mean some people like Star Trek but you really are a nerd.

Experimental lesbianism is the Star Trek of the modern era.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

I saw a guy in a bar wearing a jacket that said "Voight-Kampff" so went up to him and asked him "am I a replicant or a human?" He had no idea what I was talking about so I stupidly proceeded to tell him about my favourite Philip K Dick novels.

Not too "spergy" but I seem to lack to ability to shut up about uninteresting things when talking to strangers.

Woodburger
Dec 5, 2004

...Like a thousand other commanders on a thousand other battlefields, I wait for the dawn.
I intentionally told my significant other I wanted to play video games tonight fully knowing it would start a fight and she wouldn't talk to me for the rest of the night. This leaves me free to play Planescape.

I used to raid in WoW but didn't want my SO to know so I told her I had rehab on Saturdays. This went on for months until I got bored with the game. Truth be told I did go to rehab but not on Saturdays.

Kinda tame really. Its too bad the missus doesn't understand table top or video games and will, without fail, always get mad at me for playing. For some reason I thought it would get better when we moved in together. It didn't.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

T-Rexcellent posted:

I love the renaissance fair and I went for my birthday this year. I wore my RED team TF2 tshirt. When I was 13 my mom was driving us there and me and my sister were in the back watching Star Wars episode 2 on my little dvd player.

Nothing wrong with the ren fair! I'm 27 and I go, been going for the past 6 years. With my MOTHER. :c00lbert:

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Bash Ironfist posted:

Nothing wrong with the ren fair! I'm 27 and I go, been going for the past 6 years. With my MOTHER.

You know, I think it's time everyone in this thread gave me their lunch money.

Actually, I am just externalizing - my mother puts on a black wedding dress once a year and promenades around Whitby with some goths. I have never joined her.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
I RPed white wolfs vtm, werewolf and Mage games in HTML chat rooms. I met my best friend in high school because I recognized the clan symbols on her backpack. I still have a binder full of character sheets for both online and table top characters. have came close to getting a world of darkness tattoo and a WoW horde tattoo.

Darth Freddy fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 30, 2012

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Solefald posted:

I saw a guy in a bar wearing a jacket that said "Voight-Kampff" so went up to him and asked him "am I a replicant or a human?" He had no idea what I was talking about so I stupidly proceeded to tell him about my favourite Philip K Dick novels.

Not too "spergy" but I seem to lack to ability to shut up about uninteresting things when talking to strangers.

Well, why would he be wearing that if he didn't like Blade Runner or the story it's based off of?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I learned to install Gentoo Linux at age 9.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Solefald posted:

I walked into this bar wearing a shirt I had just bought from the thrift store. Some german poo poo - I thought it would be edgy to wear something with the word 'Kampf' on it.

So this turd looks up from his shirley temple makes a beeline for me and asks me something about Star Trek or something, and I'm like 'what?' And he says that my shirt reminded me of some book he read. Dick something or other. So I'm like 'yea man, whatever, I gotta get a drink.'
The dude proceeds to follow me around talking about androids and poo poo.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
I wrote and hosted my own single-line bulletin board system on a Commodore 64 when I was 16. It was written in BASIC and compiled with PetSPEED, and ran off a single 170K floppy drive. It was called The Dark Side of the Moon and I was its sysop, Arnold Layne, because I was an immense Pink Floyd nerd and I had to inject that into every aspect of my existence. I also feel I should mention that one time I was working on it and my girlfriend was fiddling with my gentleman's area, but well we all know how the priorities worked out by now.

I am also ultimately responsible for all of these sad, sad people's blogs. So sorry.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dungeon Ecology posted:

The dude proceeds to follow me around talking about androids and poo poo.

There's a nerd in the bar trying desperately to connect with another human being but you just flip him the bird. He starts to turn bright red under your stern gaze but you just stand there watching scornfully as he gawps and flounders helplessly. Why aren't you helping him, Leon?

MILTONS COD
Dec 30, 2006

The heart of standing is we cannot fly.
I've spent many long commutes figuring out how you could apply Kanye West's discography as a coherent soundtrack to Milton's Paradise Lost.

Coyote Ugly
Nov 14, 2006

Darth Freddy posted:

I RPed white wolfs vtm, werewolf and Mage games in HTML chat rooms. have came close to getting a world of darkness tattoo and a WoW horde tattoo.

I still do this, rp white wolf online, was a member of the Camarilla Larp when they ran by the oWoD system, and got the Glass Walker tribal glyph tattooed on my neck, cus I thought it looked cool.

Also:
I was the only girl in my DnD group that played during lunchtime in high school in the library.
I married said DM of that high school group (didn't last a year).
Will likely never grow up and continue to play video games and online RPGs well into my old age.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Coyote Ugly posted:

Will likely never grow up and continue to play video games and online RPGs well into my old age.

:stat::respek::wal:

I first dropped a quarter into a proto-video game in the early 70s and it's only gotten better since then.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Coyote Ugly posted:

I still do this, rp white wolf online, was a member of the Camarilla Larp when they ran by the oWoD system, and got the Glass Walker tribal glyph tattooed on my neck, cus I thought it looked cool.

Also:
I was the only girl in my DnD group that played during lunchtime in high school in the library.
I married said DM of that high school group (didn't last a year).
I won't lie I miss it at times. My old groups all went the way of growing up having families or wow stole them away.

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx
Back in high school I was really fascinated with the slender man and would imitate him all the time. I was really tall and pale and I could make my facial features vanish on a whim and I liked to wear a suit and creep around corners towards people and stand motionlessly under streetlights for hours.

River
Apr 22, 2012
Nothin' but the rain

Saeku posted:

Tell me more about this, because I can imagine a guy staying up for 3 days straight to do [nerdy activity], probably on drugs, but FOUR PEOPLE? How did you guys even keep gaming that long? Why? Was it for charity? Where'd y'all get the chainmail?

The chain mail came from a friend of mine who had been tailoring costumes for him and his SO for quite some time. It was his first time making chain mail, however.

We had a weekend to kill, a lot of alcohol and a lot of coffee and 'no-doz" (Off the shelf caffeine pills). I hate to admit it, but this isn't the first time we've stayed up for 2 or 3 days playing some form of game. Monopoly, Civ 5, Baldurs Gate, etc.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I managed to nuke the family computer/Windows 95 trying to install Red Hat 6.

I wrote terrible hardware reviews/articles for a somewhat well respected online enthusiast site in high school.

I was pretty into DDR at one point in my life.

I used a poem from the Lord of the Rings in my valedictorian speech.

I broke up with my high school girlfriend over AIM because I couldn't stand the thought of talking to her over the phone.

:negative:

I like to think I've come a long way.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 1, 2012

Jellymouth
Jul 9, 2009
Fun Shoe
The day before The Dark Knight Rises was released, I had planned a Batman Begins and Dark Knight viewing party with Batman party supplies/decorations, cupcakes with the bat symbol, and a punch bowl of Dark Berry Mountain Dew. The only people who showed up were me and my three closest friends who had helped me plan the thing (likely out of pity).

Someone actually told me that they couldn't come because they had to study for an IQ test. Ouch.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

MILTONS COD posted:

I've spent many long commutes figuring out how you could apply Kanye West's discography as a coherent soundtrack to Milton's Paradise Lost.

Any advances on that project?

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

My first year in college I spent a lot of time snooping around the network looking at peoples public share folders and stuff. I found a guy with tons of anime and pirated pc games and poo poo. So I kept looking at his stuff until I found his name, looked it up on the campus student list, then sent him an email asking if he wanted to hang out and watch anime together. Turns out he was a junior and was TOTALLY INTO WATCHING ANIME TOGETHER. We watched every episode of full metal alchemist with a bunch of his other buddies hours after they premiered in japan with rough bleeding edge subtitles.

Miss Areola Canasta
Oct 14, 2007

"You lookin' at me?"
In 10th grade I called misogyny in the system and threw a little tantrum after I came in 2nd in the spelling test.

I read the Dark Tower series obsessively for seven years, and couldn't understand why none of the people I told about it weren't as interested as I was. I was so let down when a GBS thread title gave away the ending before I'd even started the final book. I still haven't forgiven you people.

Miss Areola Canasta fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Dec 2, 2012

Beregon
Nov 18, 2003

Turn your hamster into a FIGHTING MACHINE!!! Get together with your friends and have a hamster fight to the death!
- Met my best friend through an online homeschooling network, over a shared enthusiasm for Final Fantasy 7. She and I have done everything together ever since.

- Drifted across several MMOs, usually doing the same routine - max out several characters, form a guild (or take one over), be generally unproductive, terrible at the game, and a relentless poo poo disturber, for hours every single day. I have a level 85 of every character on WoW. Blood Elves, a Troll, and an Orc. I liked Blood Elves a lot. Turned down many events in real life in favour of raids, for fear of someone getting it all wrong.

- My friends, brother, even parents call me either Mage, or my mage character name, Alkavarion, more than my real name. Probably because I play a mage character in every game I can, and play Magic: The Gathering pretty well (not tournament well though, I just don't care enough), and I can fix nearly anything as if it were magic. Plus I have a really poor constitution. I don't mind, it gets less annoying questions than my real name, Christian.

- I attempted to learn Tolkien Elvish, and Japanese. Elvish to impress a girl, Japanese too. Failed miserably. Japanese obsession culminated in a total weeaboo phase, but luckily I grew out of that one.

- Went through an obnoxious anime phase that lasted an embarrassing amount of time. Thankfully, that was beaten out of me by my friend's Japanese girlfriend, who showed me exactly how stupid I was acting and how it was not going to win me a delicate Japanese waifu. Now I'll only watch a series if there's a good reason attached, and outgrew the rest of that nonsense.

- Did the internet roleplay thing, but my drive to take charge of things would always result in drama.

- I have the strangest ability to retain useless fluff information about games and stuff that I like. It's made hilarious by my inability to remember much else. I'm legendary for my ability to forget the most obvious things, like searching the house for keys in my hand, glasses on my face. That, however, has good reason at least.

On the bright side, I've fellow nerd friends to play Magic with, and somehow managed to grow social skills and hygiene somewhere along the line. Never had a hat more fancy than a ballcap, or a coat longer than my waist. Even learned my talent for leadership from WoW. I've gone from an anime-and-japan-obsessed insufferable nerd, to a mostly functional and friendly person. Still a hopeless nerd, but I'm much happier with myself.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN
- In grade 5 I came to school dressed like Ash Ketchum. I unironically referred to myself as both a "PokeMaster" and a "Pokemaniac".

- In grade 12 I turned down sex from a popular, extremely attractive girl so I could play Victoria. I was an awkward skinny virgin at the time so in retrospect Victoria was probably an excuse not to have sex.

- I joined QuizBowl in undergrad. Wasted a bit too much time with that.

- Paradox games consume a fairly large portion of my free time.

FreeEnema
Jul 7, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
A really cute girl from college liked me, but I was ashamed of my small penis. :smithicide:

I also use to be a member of an AOL hacker group, we used visual basic and other peoples code to make progs for spamming chat rooms. AOL banned me, and I had to use compuserv, worst year of my adolescent life.

My Ex-girlfriend cheated on me, and I keyed her car, while crying like a baby.

I had an online girlfriend on MSN who also left me for another guy, I spent the next 6 months listening to senses fail and the song 187 on repeat, crying.

I hate my younger self.

FreeEnema fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 2, 2012

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
I once pushed a girl's hand away from my Penis during Dark Knight Rises because I was trying to desypher a line of dialogue (Bane Voice) that I didn't quite catch my first two viewings. By the end of the movie, we were both sober and things weren't going anywhere. I masturbated while driving home after dropping her off and I never talked to her again.

Otis Reddit fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 2, 2012

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
I wore cosplay for Halloween. :smithicide: The president of a club I'm in knew who I was, though. :unsmith:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Beregon posted:

My friends, brother, even parents call me either Mage, or my mage character name, Alkavarion, more than my real name. Probably because I play a mage character in every game I can, and play Magic: The Gathering pretty well (not tournament well though, I just don't care enough), and I can fix nearly anything as if it were magic.

I still read this thread and mentally scoff at people who aren't as Magic obsessed as I am. I won a tournament today, although I didn't do 3 of the tourneys I usually play each week so I could go out with my friends.

We need to get the professional Magigoons in here.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

juche mane posted:

I once pushed a girl's hand away from my Penis during Dark Knight Rises because I was trying to desypher a line of dialogue (Bane Voice) that I didn't quite catch my first two viewings. By the end of the movie, we were both sober and things weren't going anywhere. I masturbated while driving home after dropping her off and I never talked to her again.
Jumping Jesus on a pogo stick, if you can't wait till you get home, pull over. That's just not safe driving.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

John Big Booty posted:

Jumping Jesus on a pogo stick, if you can't wait till you get home, pull over. That's just not safe driving.

Real men drive stick.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006

John Big Booty posted:

There is no way I'm going to pull over, in the rain, in Queens, and risk getting mugged or car broken into, simply to beat one off, but thanks for your contribution

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp

juche mane posted:

There is no way I'm going to pull over, in the rain, in Queens, and risk getting mugged or car broken into, simply to beat one off, but thanks for your contribution
That doesn't explain the driving, in the rain, in Queens, while simultaneously stroking your dick. The fact you were city driving in the rain actually makes it worse, dipshit, but I guess you're too sperg (even today) to notice that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

juche mane posted:

That was YOU!? You son of a bitch, I thought it was some creepo. Actually it still was but w/e.

• Locked thread