Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth

apophenium posted:

My group is usually only a max of four people, but two player games end up happening a lot... what would you guys recommend?

I'm a big fan of Twilight Struggle (I'm just not very good at it yet). It's a great two player game, if you have three hours to kill. For a shorter two player experience, try Memoir '44, which is easy to pick up and includes dice rolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Besides Twilight Struggle, some more 2 player games to consider are Summoner Wars, Netrunner, War of the Ring, Claustrophobia and Earth Reborn (if you don't mind the long setup and learning times).

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

VoodooXT posted:

Besides Twilight Struggle, some more 2 player games to consider are Summoner Wars, Netrunner, War of the Ring, Claustrophobia and Earth Reborn (if you don't mind the long setup and learning times).

I'd stick Mage Wars in that list as well. It's really fantastic.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
It seems there are a lot of great games I should get. gently caress it, with my holiday bonus I'm gonna get a bunch of said games. Thanks for the recommendations, thread. I'll be back to let you guys know which ones I've enjoyed the most!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

apophenium posted:

It seems there are a lot of great games I should get. gently caress it, with my holiday bonus I'm gonna get a bunch of said games. Thanks for the recommendations, thread. I'll be back to let you guys know which ones I've enjoyed the most!

My best advice (that is completely unsolicited, I realize) when first expanding your game library is to diversify. You may, for example, like Dominion, so it might be tempting to get Thunderstone Advance and Ascension since you clearly already like deckbuilders, so you'd probably like those too. But why not have a worker placement, a drafting game, or an area control game instead? Sometimes you may not be in the mood to build a deck, but instead may be in the mood for a co-op experience. Variety also prevents you from going for your favorite game of a certain type, and playing nothing else. This happened to me when I got Stone Age when I already had Caylus, and now I literally never play Stone Age because I recognize it as being inferior in drat near every way in comparison.

So while you might think that Mage Wars and Summoner Wars and Pixel Tactics might be interesting games in a 2p tactical niche, as they all are in their own way, chances are you may not have the opportunity to rotate through them as much as you like, especially when you really just wanted to play a worker placement game.

I think it'd be sort of interested to compile a list of various types of boardgames and choosing which would be the best few picks from them. I know the OP does it a bit, but it's hardly comprehensive. It'd also be useful if we ever do that Ask/Tell ambassadordom that Winson alluded to earlier that I don't think was ever actually done.

Edit: As for your recommendations, Caylus scales wonderfully from 2-5, and it actually plays differently depending on the number of players involved. Five is pretty goddamn brutal with Provost politicking, whereas 2 is a good duel. Dungeon Twister also technically expands to 4 players, but is amazing with 2. Dungeon Twister doesn't get enough love here.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 1, 2012

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I played half a game of Betrayal at House on the Hill tonight. We were 15 minutes in when the guy drawing the 3rd Omen of the game rolls a 2, getting us into a sticky situation with a big spider. The traitor had a good roll and managed to kill me next time his turn was up while we had nearly no items or useful omens. The remaining heroes spent 4 turns or so exploring, hoping to find the items we needed to win, but then the guy to my left bumped my glass off the table which I foolishly tried to grab and I cut open my pinky.

I left after it stopped bleeding, cause it hurt like hell and I was dead anyway. I just "cheated" and checked the traitor's tome for that haunt... How the hell are you supposed to win that?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

nimby posted:

I played half a game of Betrayal at House on the Hill tonight. We were 15 minutes in when the guy drawing the 3rd Omen of the game rolls a 2, getting us into a sticky situation with a big spider. The traitor had a good roll and managed to kill me next time his turn was up while we had nearly no items or useful omens. The remaining heroes spent 4 turns or so exploring, hoping to find the items we needed to win, but then the guy to my left bumped my glass off the table which I foolishly tried to grab and I cut open my pinky.

I left after it stopped bleeding, cause it hurt like hell and I was dead anyway. I just "cheated" and checked the traitor's tome for that haunt... How the hell are you supposed to win that?

I like Betrayal a lot but this is a major and valid complaint about it: sometimes you roll an early haunt and it can be unwinnable for one side.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

And sometimes you get a late haunt and it's still unwinnable for one side. Betrayal is an enjoyable experience, but the actual winner is usually out of the players' hands.

It doesn't help that a lot of haunts basically play themselves on autopilot without input from the traitor. The first time I was traitor, I was the little girl in the "house flooding" scenario. The house was filling up with water on its own, and with my base Might 3 I wasn't hurting anyone. Whether I won or lost seemed independent of any decisions I could possibly make. A lot of haunts where a prominent evil NPC runs on AI, like Chess With Death, seem to have the same issue.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Hey guys I did a thing: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3520238

Go out and preach about Board Games and the Board Game Jesus, Vlaada.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Related to that, what's a good alternative to suggest for people who play Monopoly? I'd like to be able to give people an answer other than "I really don't know; that's how bad Monopoly is!"

The only thing within 10 years I can think of that comes close to Monopoly's neighbourhood is Merchant of Venus, and it's not that close.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

18XX :unsmigghh:

I can't really think of anything really that is similar to Monopoly. In essence most economic games will have flavours of Monopoly within them, really.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Ask people why they like Monopoly. If it's about the visceral fun of rolling lots of dice and handling money and stuff, maybe consider something like Stone Age or Alien Frontiers. If it's about driving other players bankrupt then I don't know because I don't like those sorts of games. I'd offer a third option but I can't think of anything else to do in Monopoly.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Countblanc posted:

Ask people why they like Monopoly. If it's about the visceral fun of rolling lots of dice and handling money and stuff, maybe consider something like Stone Age or Alien Frontiers. If it's about driving other players bankrupt then I don't know because I don't like those sorts of games. I'd offer a third option but I can't think of anything else to do in Monopoly.
Want to lose contact with friends and family? Play Diplomacy!

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Even better, play Game of Thrones because that's easier to rope people in with. Then they can get pissed off at never seeing a Muster as well as being backstabbed!

But yeah, I think a solid alternative to Monopoly would either need to have you getting rich, possibly on the backs of other people or just outright make people go bankrupt. Not sure how key the rolling is, but it'd be nice if you could introduce people to not having a completely linear path. A third thing would be theme, which to me is being a real estate baron. And it would help if the setting is something more acceptable to mainstream than space, which is part of where Merchants of Venus fails for me as an alternative to Monopoly.

SilverMike fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 1, 2012

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Years ago we had a "let's make monopoly better" thread, and it really came down to figuring out what good there was to preserve in Monopoly. Rolling dice and having people land on your big properties were about the only things we could come up with, so I think figuring out which of those two things your group favors would go a long way to deciding where to go from there.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Isn't For Sale supposed to be a good alternative?

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Just looked up For Sale, hits the theme weakly, no dice, kinda getting rich at other people's expense, but feels more like a bluffing game where you try to get the best value for your money/card at a given time. It doesn't seem like it's in the same area Monopoly is.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Redacted

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 19, 2013

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Tekopo posted:

Hey guys I did a thing: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3520238

Go out and preach about Board Games and the Board Game Jesus, Vlaada.

Honestly, we should probably list some sort of stock answers for 'Well, I want to try non-hasbro boardgames, where do I start'...

You know, after Space Alert

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Under $30?? Do tell, that looks sweet and would love to leave games set up without worrying about cat attacks.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Redacted

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 19, 2013

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

SilverMike posted:

Related to that, what's a good alternative to suggest for people who play Monopoly? I'd like to be able to give people an answer other than "I really don't know; that's how bad Monopoly is!"

The only thing within 10 years I can think of that comes close to Monopoly's neighbourhood is Merchant of Venus, and it's not that close.

I thought about this, why not Catan? Still has dice, still has the managing your own poo poo while dicking with others aspect, still has some resource management. You don't have the instant bankrupt chance, but you can cut people off or robber on them.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Please no one take the bait in the ambassador thread with the guy saying how great a game Zombies!!! is.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000

Indolent Bastard posted:

Step 1: Buy a pine diningroom table from craigslist for $10

That's fantastic and you make it sound simple enough that I might not make a total sham of it! Even if i did, I'm out next to nothing so no big deal. Did you flip the rails of the table to get those contours for drink holder action or resurface them to get that look?

Silvermike, I'd second Catan. It was my family's gateway game for sure, followed by Ticket to Ride.

Campbell fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Dec 1, 2012

ConorT
Sep 24, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

Yup it's a gaming table.

I like the cup holders. That's a fine table.

ConorT
Sep 24, 2007

VoodooXT posted:

I will add Star Trek: Fleet Captains to this list.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Dominion posted:

Please no one take the bait in the ambassador thread with the guy saying how great a game Zombies!!! is.

Ha ha. I will admit I was sorely tempted but thought better of it. Munchkin would have been a better troll.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
There are only two games I can think of that are like Monopoly and they are both out of print. Fast Food Franchise which is a pretty good roll and move and Owner's Choice. Owner's Choice is more available but Fast Food Franchise is probably the better game.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Dominion posted:

guy saying how great a game Zombies!!! is.

It's better than Killer Bunnies. I hate that game with the burning of 1000 hotpockets.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

SilverMike posted:

I feel like Lords of Vegas might be a good Monopoly replacement. Real estate shenanigans, rolling dice, money... but I haven't played it so I can't really say.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Redacted

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Apr 19, 2013

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Netrunner for $20 on Amazon. Hello stocking stuffer?

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

TenjouUtena posted:

Honestly, we should probably list some sort of stock answers for 'Well, I want to try non-hasbro boardgames, where do I start'...

You know, after Space Alert

The OP of this thread pretty much has it covered...

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Redacted

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 19, 2013

ConorT
Sep 24, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

Netrunner for $20 on Amazon. Hello stocking stuffer?

Well the box won't fit into a stocking, but that is quite a deal.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Yeah but what can I grab for $5.01 so I don't pay $6.12 in shipping?

Card sleeves.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Redacted

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 19, 2013

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Indolent Bastard posted:

Any brands to buy or avoid buying?

Dragonshields or ultra pro mattes are popular. KMC are also good.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Indolent Bastard posted:

Any brands to buy or avoid buying?

Avoid Mayday. I usually go with Fantasy Flight and Ultrapro. The hologram is a little annoying with Ultrapro, but they're my go-to for standard card size sleeves.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Someone teach me about Wargames!

Advanced Squad Leader looks pretty cool but it's all either out of print or ridiculously expensive. What other squad-level games are good?

I play a lot of Twilight Struggle and variants (you guys should give 1989 a shot, it's pretty nice), should I look into Card-Driven Games like Command and Colors instead? I'm more drawn to the WW2 period than ancients, but if the C&C stuff is that good I'll give it a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

I appreciate all the responses. I've hated Monopoly for ages now but it's hard to get some people to try something else if you can't even give them a game to partially replace the 'Monopoly experience'.

Winson_Paine posted:

I thought about this, why not Catan? Still has dice, still has the managing your own poo poo while dicking with others aspect, still has some resource management. You don't have the instant bankrupt chance, but you can cut people off or robber on them.

Catan's a good gateway drug, but it either misses on winning at someone else's expense (if people are trading) or at not being luck-based as hell. (if no one's trading) Although I'll admit to only ever playing base Catan, so maybe one of the expansions could help there?

Lorini posted:

There are only two games I can think of that are like Monopoly and they are both out of print. Fast Food Franchise which is a pretty good roll and move and Owner's Choice. Owner's Choice is more available but Fast Food Franchise is probably the better game.

Being out of print is a small problem for a board game I want to get someone else. :)

PerniciousKnid posted:

I feel like Lords of Vegas might be a good Monopoly replacement. Real estate shenanigans, rolling dice, money... but I haven't played it so I can't really say.

Looks interesting based on Vasel's review, might give it a try.

If anyone else has ideas, please keep 'em coming. At the very least, you'll probably be giving me games to look at that I haven't heard of, and it's always nice to learn about new (old?) games.

• Locked thread