Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

There's also Zombie Fluxx, which is far more fun than you'd think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Jedit posted:

There's also Zombie Fluxx, which is far more fun than you'd think.

Not really, it's still Fluxx.

Mall of Horror has a good BGG rep, but I didn't like it at all.

Jeremys Iron
Aug 18, 2006

"Now if you'll excuse me, it's 8 O'clock, Time to get Bizzay"
Out of curiosity why is Munchkin so disliked? As the person who's new to this whole thing it's one of the games that I really enjoyed playing with friends that has brought me into looking into a wider range of games and I now feel like the guy who turned up in the Punk Rock thread talking about how much I love Blink 182.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Almost entirely random, no player skill involved, gang-gently caress the leader is the only strategy, takes way too long to finish. Oodles of better, quicker playing card games out there.

PikaPuff
Mar 6, 2010

STOP POSTING!
So many pages...
these threads move so fast!
When I asked about Munchkin elsewhere

quote:

Munchkin is terrible because once the nerdy jokes lose their humor the gameplay is a mess of 'gang up on the leader' until someone gets lucky or people give up.

So a large part of the problem with Zombies!!! is the randomness. Dice to determine combat, cards + random locations makes that part TOO random.

I like randomness in games. Otherwise I'd just play chess or something like it. But making certain parts random, ore making too much of a game random can make it bad. I guess I gotta start looking out for those indicators, when a game has TOO many random elements.

This makes me a little worried about my Zpocalypse game I got in on at kickstarter. They released a mini-game, so I played a bit of it and it does involve rolling dice to kill zombies. And it did suck rolling dice to determine if I killed. It wasn't a full game with all the rules, so I'm hoping you start out lovely like that but when you level up and gain skills it becomes a lot less random. Hopefully.

Jeremys Iron
Aug 18, 2006

As someone with zero D&D knowledge I don't even get most of the jokes in Munchkin so it doesn't even have that going for it.

I guess it just hasn't felt random enough for me to not enjoy playing it - then again the only people I've played with don't really care about winning, just playing the game, and I find the process of playing it (and negotiating about who's going to help or hinder each other) a lot of fun.

...not that any of this matters given that this stuff is pretty subjective, I was just curious to find out why it's disliked.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare
On the Monopoly alternatives: I'd suggest Acquire. It's not really mechanically similar to Monopoly, but you do try to get more stacks of cash than the other guys, and it fits the acquisition theme. Plus it's got a fun puzzle element in laying tiles to strategically merge corporations. No dice, though, so if that's what you like about Monopoly then you're out of luck. (But who plays Monopoly for the roll and move aspect?)

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
While we're at it, what's the best roll and move? Has modern game design created an engaging roll and move?

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Carados posted:

While we're at it, what's the best roll and move? Has modern game design created an engaging roll and move?

The only roll and move game that I hear people talking positively about around here is Merchant of Venus. Personally, I still didn't like the roll and move part, but it still has it's fans.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Carados posted:

Escape: Curse of the Temple has lots of people saying good things. http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/113294/escape-the-curse-of-the-temple

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Carados posted:

Formula D gets seems to have a pretty good consensus behind it. The theme (formula racing) doesn't entirely grab me, but after reading about the mechanics it did sound interesting.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Powerboats is pretty great too. Roll and moves aren't bad as long as there is a method of managing the rolls, which I think is present in powerboats and formula d.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I never really considered Formula D to be a roll and move, but more of a push your luck sort of game. Obviously you do roll and move, but pushing your luck with your gears and double/triple shifting is where the game is.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I played Dungeon Lords for the first time ever today. I usually do fairly well in board games, but in this one i had a negative score. Such an awesome game.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Here is the answer to your Monopoly question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATnXloqRfdA

The first part is a dumb animation, then Scott talks about why Monopoly is not great.

After that, he lists the different reasons why people like monopoly, and suggests a game that fits into those reasons.

Maybe not definitive or as relevant anymore, but definitely interesting!

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

modig posted:

Escape: Curse of the Temple has lots of people saying good things. http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/113294/escape-the-curse-of-the-temple

That's not a roll and move game. Its also not a very good game in general though.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

I'll catch you Bran! Hmm... nevermind.
My wife and I picked up the 2-player The Rivals of Catan last week and have been loving it. I haven't played regular Catan in years, but this feels so much quicker and more interesting. I love that they included a bunch of the expansions as "theme games" so looks like we'll have a lot to look forward to with it. It's about $16 bucks online, so can't recommend it enough.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Jeremys Iron posted:

As someone with zero D&D knowledge I don't even get most of the jokes in Munchkin so it doesn't even have that going for it.

I guess it just hasn't felt random enough for me to not enjoy playing it - then again the only people I've played with don't really care about winning, just playing the game, and I find the process of playing it (and negotiating about who's going to help or hinder each other) a lot of fun.

...not that any of this matters given that this stuff is pretty subjective, I was just curious to find out why it's disliked.

If you and your group enjoy it, then more power to you. Just don't expect anyone with a competetive edge to enjoy Munchkin for very long. As others have said, the end game devolves into "screw the leader" and one player ultimately ends up as the Kingmaker. I'm actually surprised you're able to get as much enjoyment as you have without a D&D background to really "get" the joke of the game.

There's another card game out there called Gloom that also suffers from an endgame Kingmaker problem, but it sounds like you're group may enjoy it. Players control a family who they try to make as miserable as possible before killing them, while trying to make the other player's families as happy as can be. Once one family is all dead the players total up the score and the family with the most miserable dead people wins. Half the fun is in telling stories of how such misfortunes could plague the family members. Anyone who's seen a Tim Burton film can get the joke of the game, and get as much or as little into the storytelling element of it as they please.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Kiranamos posted:

That's not a roll and move game. Its also not a very good game in general though.

The primary mechanic is roll dice, them move or do something else based on the results. I feel like it's close.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Tried out something new (to me) today.

Dark Horse is a pretty enjoyable game. It definitely feels like there's a strategy to it that I didn't quite get (mostly around getting influence), but I did end up in a close second place, so I clearly figured out something. I like the mechanic of using dice to buy from the limited actions, it combines randomness with strategy in an interesting way. If you aren't happy with something about your situation, you can usually spend a die to get it, which is nice. The name doesn't make any sense relative to the game or mesh with the frontier railway theme, incidentally. There's next to no bluffing OR any horses, far as I could tell.

I bought Zombie Dice. I have a much shorter opinion for this one: gently caress yeah, Zombie Dice! It's quick, fun, and it went over really well.

I also finally impulse bought Race for the Galaxy. One of these days I'm going to buy the gently caress out of everything Ascension, but today was not that day. It looks like it'll be another week until I can get my hands on Seasons, sadly. I was looking forward to that.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Quidnose posted:

Here is the answer to your Monopoly question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATnXloqRfdA

The first part is a dumb animation, then Scott talks about why Monopoly is not great.

After that, he lists the different reasons why people like monopoly, and suggests a game that fits into those reasons.

Maybe not definitive or as relevant anymore, but definitely interesting!

I like where he says that people who enjoy Chance cards should play Dominion.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Countblanc posted:

I like where he says that people who enjoy Chance cards should play Dominion.

People who enjoy chance cards should play Arkham Horror, because that's the main mechanic! :haw:

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Dominion posted:

As far as Monopoly replacements go, Power Grid has paper money, an emphasis on cutthroat economic competition, etc. It's an auction and building game rather than a roll and move but depending on what it is about monopoly they like it might work.
I agree. Monopoly is an auction game if it's played according to the rules. But Power Grid is a million times better. It basically takes the few good things about Monopoly (auctions and income from capital investment) and leaves out the bad stuff (everything else). Then they made it fun.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Jeremys Iron posted:

Out of curiosity why is Munchkin so disliked? As the person who's new to this whole thing it's one of the games that I really enjoyed playing with friends that has brought me into looking into a wider range of games and I now feel like the guy who turned up in the Punk Rock thread talking about how much I love Blink 182.

Munchkin is a game the encourages drawing it out as long as possible. I will forever associate it with my being drowsy enough to be involved with a car crash that everyone says should have killed me (I'm got out pretty unscathed). gently caress Munchkin forever.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

Dominion posted:

As far as Monopoly replacements go, Power Grid has paper money, an emphasis on cutthroat economic competition, etc. It's an auction and building game rather than a roll and move but depending on what it is about monopoly they like it might work.

I'd put forth Aquire as another good possible Monopoly replacement (though I'm not completely sure if it's still in print). It's got piles of paper money as well, and it revolves around property, though it focuses more on speculation rather than actual acquisition.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
Not sure if this was posted yet, but a friend just sent me this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WD0gMu0LDU

A physics based real time boardgame engine! Maybe people would pick this up, and online boardgaming would be that much more interesting. I like using vassal and all, but urgh it sure does lose alot of the boardgame experience in execution.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

SinetheGuy posted:

Formula D gets seems to have a pretty good consensus behind it. The theme (formula racing) doesn't entirely grab me, but after reading about the mechanics it did sound interesting.

I've played it once, and had a great time. It's a nice change from the usual mechanics and themes, but it's not something I'd see myself OWNING. I'm glad I know people that have it though!

SafetyTrain
Nov 26, 2012

Bringing a knife to a bear fight

Zombie #246 posted:

Not sure if this was posted yet, but a friend just sent me this:

A physics based real time boardgame engine! Maybe people would pick this up, and online boardgaming would be that much more interesting. I like using vassal and all, but urgh it sure does lose alot of the boardgame experience in execution.

I've yet to try this. I have seen it being played though and it looks fairly good. Gameplay feels a bit repetative. Your goal is just killing all monsters, so you move around the board and roll dice too kill monsters. There is a bit of tactic involved but overall it seems like a pretty simple game.

The physics part feel good, altough I think it'd still feel weird too roll dice with a physics engine.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

SafetyTrain posted:

The physics part feel good, altough I think it'd still feel weird too roll dice with a physics engine.
If you roll just right one of the dice will clip the gameboard and launch into space :v:

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Tekopo posted:

I played Dungeon Lords for the first time ever today. I usually do fairly well in board games, but in this one i had a negative score. Such an awesome game.

Learn to play it better, then add in the text-card events and eventually items. You'll become skilled at the game but still end up with negative score.

Zombie #246 posted:

A physics based real time boardgame engine!

I want this, but adapted to Twilight Imperium. Then I can get everyone a tablet to run it on and stop having half an hour of setup/cleanup.

nimby fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Dec 2, 2012

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
What's the secret to getting a negative score in Dungeon Lords? Do I have to unlock it or something? I've never seen one happen o.O

Jeremys Iron
Aug 18, 2006

Bosushi! posted:

If you and your group enjoy it, then more power to you. Just don't expect anyone with a competetive edge to enjoy Munchkin for very long. As others have said, the end game devolves into "screw the leader" and one player ultimately ends up as the Kingmaker. I'm actually surprised you're able to get as much enjoyment as you have without a D&D background to really "get" the joke of the game.

There's another card game out there called Gloom that also suffers from an endgame Kingmaker problem, but it sounds like you're group may enjoy it. Players control a family who they try to make as miserable as possible before killing them, while trying to make the other player's families as happy as can be. Once one family is all dead the players total up the score and the family with the most miserable dead people wins. Half the fun is in telling stories of how such misfortunes could plague the family members. Anyone who's seen a Tim Burton film can get the joke of the game, and get as much or as little into the storytelling element of it as they please.
Ha! Gloom is actually one of the games that one of my friends was considering getting so that may work out.

They ended up getting Pandemic instead, which I thoroughly enjoy, though I do find myself thinking that really one person could just play the whole game through as really all the game does is facilitate discussions about what's best.

...this is why I think I'll be telling the family that the Battlestar Galactica board game would be a good Xmas present.

(have also picked up 'Hey That's My Fish!' as a cheap generic family game for Xmas that everyone can play on the recommendation of this thread).

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.
I played City of Horror again last night and it was epic as usual. The negotiations are always hilarious, with people yelling and trying to defend themselves and their awful decisions to put their fellow survivors out to the zombies. I think I've introduced the game to about 20 people and they've all had a blast. I really enjoy the kind of player interaction that comes with games like this and The Resistance.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Pierzak posted:

What's the secret to getting a negative score in Dungeon Lords? Do I have to unlock it or something? I've never seen one happen o.O
Don't pay your taxes while simultaneously failing to prepare for the adventurers you've attracted (especially if you manage to pull the Paladin when you're not ready for him).

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I got screwed mostly from taxes and then a 2 level spell made my dragon do 2 damage to the front hero rather than everyone.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Tekopo posted:

I got screwed mostly from taxes and then a 2 level spell made my dragon do 2 damage to the front hero rather than everyone.

Gotta make sure them wizards are taken care of. Or scouted at least.

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic
I struggle to get Dungeon Lords to the table across all the different groups I play with. It's one of my favorite games and I rarely get to play it. There's more to it than this but basically it ends up being too theme-y for my euro gamer friends and too euro-y for the ameritrash crowd I game with. Like how Alice in Chains was too grunge for metal but too metal for grunge that's what I'm encountering with Dungeon Lords.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.
To any of you guys who have experience selling your games - where/how did you get the best results?

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth

Looselybased posted:

To any of you guys who have experience selling your games - where/how did you get the best results?

If you're interested in getting other games, there's a trading thread in SA Mart, but I've also had success selling games there. eBay is basically the catch all, you'll get what is probably a fair price there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
We just got Rex: The Final Days of the Empire as an early Christmas gift. Before I dive into the rules and errata I wanted to check in and see if any of you had any tips for learning the game or whatnot. I was kind of hoping to find a video walkthrough of the first turn or something, but haven't found one yet. Anyhow, anything that helped you conquer the 30-page rulebook would be great!

• Locked thread