Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Good lord. That commercial's like the start of something you'd find at the wrong end of xhamster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ah Pook
Aug 23, 2003

VIOLENTERECTION posted:

So I just finished Barkley 1, loving fantastic. The combat was really fun though I never mastered passing.

Upped my donation from 25 to 40.

Passing is god damned impossible. Every time it seemed like I got the ball right on the marker it would miss. Forward jump every time.

Red87
Jun 3, 2008

The UNE will prevail.

Ah Pook posted:

Passing is god damned impossible. Every time it seemed like I got the ball right on the marker it would miss. Forward jump every time.

The attack descriptions says passing only has a 50% accuracy modifier, but getting the ball in the marker increases the damage. Whereas Freethrow getting in the marker increases accuracy.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

The bosses in Barkley 1 feel a lot easier for me than they used to be. Probably because I now open every fight with Water Zauber and pray it causes Diabetes or Glaucoma, then I use Cyberdwarf's finishers to reduce stats.

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax
Throwing in fifty bucks.

Barkley Shut Up And Jam Gaiden was the best time I had playing a JRPG in a very long time when it came out. We're living in a brave new world now where both good JRPGs and wRPGs are coming out, but I have feeling this just might game will be the most fun I'm going to have playing a rpg game this decade. It does really seems your attempting to merge the genres into something either.

Time to chaos dunk this bitch

Undead Unicorn fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Dec 2, 2012

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

I'm in for a copy.

Definitely put this up on Steam Greenlight, it may not fly for their quality requirements, but at least try. I'm sure enough people want you to.

(It's me, I'm a people)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Tenasscity posted:

I'm in for a copy.

Definitely put this up on Steam Greenlight, it may not fly for their quality requirements, but at least try. I'm sure enough people want you to.

(It's me, I'm a people)

I'm not sure what this means since Greenlight doesn't have any quality requirements. And if it did, Barkley 2 would pass with flying colors :colbert:

Maybe going on greenlight right now would be a good way of drumming up interest in the Kickstarter, though.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

I'm replaying the first one and I noticed that Vinceborg's error number for not knowing his purpose was X114JAM9, the name of our new protagonist. OMINOUS FORESHADOWING? I think so!

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
I'm gonna go out on a limb and mindlessly speculate X114JAM9 is Hoopz fused with Cyberdwarf somehow.

I expect the real answer to be much less coherent.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I'm poor as poo poo so I only gave $15 but I think I can get my dad to kick in $10 too, because it's edutainment.

I've been having trouble with the first game; I'm at the very beginning, where you come home after visiting the temple of Clispaeth and have to pull off a QTE to avoid getting tased and executed. Granted I am super bad at videogames but the first and third prompts switch almost immediately to failed and even if I manage to press the action button in the allotted split-second the only one I can actually get is the second one and I'm tired of tripping facefirst into a bannister and dying. Tips???? Tricks??????

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

I'm poor as poo poo so I only gave $15 but I think I can get my dad to kick in $10 too, because it's edutainment.

I've been having trouble with the first game; I'm at the very beginning, where you come home after visiting the temple of Clispaeth and have to pull off a QTE to avoid getting tased and executed. Granted I am super bad at videogames but the first and third prompts switch almost immediately to failed and even if I manage to press the action button in the allotted split-second the only one I can actually get is the second one and I'm tired of tripping facefirst into a bannister and dying. Tips???? Tricks??????

Press the button that pops up on the screen.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

They're the same each time you try, so just remember the pattern and be ready

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Ryaomon posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and mindlessly speculate X114JAM9 is Hoopz fused with Cyberdwarf somehow.

He's Barkley reincarnated as himself.

blurry!
Jun 14, 2006

Sorry for Party Flocking
Please commission the artist/writer for this comic as a stretch goal of 80,000

Thank you in advance (TIA)

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

"Wikipedia posted:

In December 1993, Dark Horse Comics released a one-shot comic inspired by the commercial (although most of the action takes place in California, rather than Japan). The comic was written by Mike Barron with art by Jeff Butler and Keith Aiken.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Now I'm disappointed there wasn't a comic adaptation of the Sprite-Rapper-Voltron commercials.

It'd fit into the Barkley canon.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
How does it feel to be part of the team that is responsible for the Quad City DJ's vs meme? Because I assume it feels loving awesome, like being Superman's dad or something.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
I want to replay the first game but the screen is super small, and if I turn on fullscreen it's the same size and black borders all around. I tried lowering my resolution, but it doesn't help, anyone know what's up?

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Increase scaling in the options, and don't play fullscreen because it blows

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Thanks a lot, gonna shut up and jam now

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Ryaomon posted:

X114JAM9 is the biomechanical fusion of the DNA of every great baller that has ever existed, including the DNA of Barkley, Jordan, Carter, Bird, Ewing, Bogues, Johnson, Bradley, and Bugs Bunny. The combined DNA was spliced into Hoopz's semen, which then impregnated his wife Jamina. When Hoopz's home planet was destroyed by the malevolent AI Cu Chulainn, he fired the infant X114JAM9 into space in a rocketship, which crash landed on Tir na Nog. The resulting impact crippled X114JAM9, but he was found by a friendly family of dwarves that repaired his body with cybernetic enhancements before all being killed mysteriously.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Call Now posted:

Increase scaling in the options, and don't play fullscreen because it blows

I assumed that full screen mode was just a joke.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Dreylad posted:

From what I remember, Chef said that there were two rants that weren't written by him. One was by a guy who played the demo and thought the rants were serious. The other was from SA, I think.

Yep, the SA one is based off this:

He also caused a ruckus in an E/N thread by comparing someone's grief over his dead parents to the way he felt when Aeris died. Sadly I didn't save that one.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Ceyton posted:

Sadly I didn't save that one.
I just did an Archives Search for spoonce aeris and found (someone quoting) the post in the thread titled "My father shot himself this morning.":

spoonce (now M E A T Y) posted:

I know I'll probably be attacked for this (video games are for losers, etc. :rolleyes: ), but this is exactly how I felt when Aerith died. I honestly didn't know what to do, I was pretty much in a daze.. I would go into battle without any materia equipped, I'd forget to heal my characters after battles, completely neglected my chocobos. I would just go to the Golden Saucer and dick around for hours at a time playing minigames... I just didn't see any point to advancing the story, how could there be a story without her? Well, it took some time, but I got over it (and took my revenge on Sephy :D [KoTR + Mimic ftw]), and the point is, I'm sure you will too. If there's anything I'd take from this, it's that life goes on even after losing a loved one, it's just up to you how long it takes. Goondolences.

dirby fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Dec 2, 2012

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

helopticor posted:

I just did an Archives Search for spoonce aeris and found (someone quoting) the post in the thread titled "My father shot himself this morning.":

Literally making me want to vomit right now.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly
Hey, what do you all think about the idea of a console port, either Vita or 360? Is this something that you'd be interested in? This is an option that's available to us but I'm not sure if it's something people would actually want. It would be done externally and is about five times more expensive to port the game to a console than it is to the Mac, which is why I'm kind of apprehensive and checking to see if this is something people would like.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Off the top of my head sounds like low payoff for a large cost, plus depending on the route you go you will have to interface with Microsoft/Sony bureaucracy. Large resource sink/pitfall, plus your main audience won't be there, so avoid like plague. People with a lot more time/budget than you guys have avoid this if at all possible and you probably should too.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Chef Boyardee posted:

Hey, what do you all think about the idea of a console port, either Vita or 360? Is this something that you'd be interested in? This is an option that's available to us but I'm not sure if it's something people would actually want. It would be done externally and is about five times more expensive to port the game to a console than it is to the Mac, which is why I'm kind of apprehensive and checking to see if this is something people would like.

360 indie sales on XBL/XBLIG tend to be pretty mediocre, I think the Cthulhu/Zboyd guys found that Steam was a way better venue for them from a sales and revenue standpoint. If the port is expensive on top of that, I'm not sure it's worth it.

Maybe check with them if they're approachable, they have a very similar game to yours (old school RPG, intentionally funny) and so their experience may be representative.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

helopticor posted:

:catstare:

Jesus Christ. The thought that he might have posted that in sincerity is... frightening.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Please, PLEASE work that spoonce quote into Barkley 2. Preferably as a response to something that happens ingame that is serious and emotionally draining. Exactly as it is in that form, except video game = vidcon.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

I would absolutely love a Vita port but uhh yeah, it's the Vita. Not exactly the greenest pastures.

e: but I guess it would be a year or more from now, maybe more than 5 people will own the thing by then

Troffen fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 2, 2012

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Chef Boyardee posted:

The time, effort, and money would be much better spent just getting it on Steam, where you will likely make money hand over fist. Steam is also big on advertising games that work on Mac (and soon, Linux), so the infrastructure will be there for the ports, too.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

MrBims posted:

Please, PLEASE work that spoonce quote into Barkley 2. Preferably as a response to something that happens ingame that is serious and emotionally draining. Exactly as it is in that form, except video game = vidcon.

im a massive vidcon

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Novasol posted:

The time, effort, and money would be much better spent just getting it on Steam, where you will likely make money hand over fist. Steam is also big on advertising games that work on Mac (and soon, Linux), so the infrastructure will be there for the ports, too.
And thanks to big picture mode, you can just add controller support and it's almost like having it on a console!

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Novasol posted:

Yeah, as much as I would love to play Barkley 2 on the go, I feel like I would much rather have those resources go to more content.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
You will not make anywhere near enough money on those ports to make it worth it. It would be a huge waste of time and money that could be spent on improving the game.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
If they could get in on XBLA, they might be able to make a decent chunk of change, really depends on the marketing I think. Definitely don't bother porting it if you could only get XBLIG though.

edit: Although by the time this comes out it's possible all the attention will be on the Xbox 720 and nobody will care about new 360 games except for the major AAA hits.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Focusing on getting it on Steam is probably the best way to go with the level of money you'll have for this. Getting Steam to put it on their front store page for awhile would be really great post-release advertising too.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
I recall reading an article from a developer bitching about poor support for independents on the consoles. While Steam puts every new game on the front page, consoles go out of their way to hide the games. An Android and iOS port would be the best option for a mobile release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Just replayed Barkley 1. As much of a joke as the game is, the battle system is still really fun. Maybe it's just because the game is like 4 hours long, but having different action commands for each character really keeps it fun and interesting.