Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Not that there is a whole lot new here, but here is the first Brian Fargo interview I have seen pop up in a while, and it reveals that the game's first two areas are written by Chris Avellone, which I imagine will be a very good thing:

http://gamestar.ru/english/brian_fargo_kickstarter_wasteland_2_interview_eng.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

It's a good interview and I appreciate his dedication to making Wasteland 2 the best game it can be above all else. I'm really interested to see the end result of this whole process, particularly if they are indeed still using the MSPE system, which I have no familiarity with.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Pyradox posted:

It's a good interview and I appreciate his dedication to making Wasteland 2 the best game it can be above all else. I'm really interested to see the end result of this whole process, particularly if they are indeed still using the MSPE system, which I have no familiarity with.
Yeah, that was actually the most surprising/awesome part of the entire interview to me. That means that they fundamentally saw nothing so wrong with the original system that they had to completely toss it out--which means, and I am sure I am not the only one who thinks like this, that someone is going to develop a mod to port characters between the two games. I mean, sure, you could just probably use an editor and recreate the character more or less anyway, but it would just be so hilarious to see an actual importer.

Oh, but the original Mercenaries, Spies, and Private Eyes system was probably not as influential as Brian Fargo says; Dungeons & Dragons' basic system was influential to the point that it influenced EVERYTHING, including MS&PE, even if Wasteland was undoubtedly very influential for post-present games generally. The system in Wasteland is a very close approximation of the pen-and-paper version of the game (I bought the basic rulebook a couple of years ago out of sheer fandom lunacy).

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

What I've seen of MS&PE and it's influence on Wasteland. It's definitely a game made in the '80s. Lots of simple concepts muddied up by complex rules. For instance, the infamous "what does it do?" skill in Wasteland, Combat Shooting, is a skill taken straight from MS&PE. In that game, Combat Shooting gave you a bonus to attack when switching targets, allowing players to engage multiple targets. A bit like the D&D Feat "Cleave" except with guns. In WL, I think they tried to implement it into the game, but failed to, so it got left in the game somehow.

Also, the firearms were a bit wonky and their damages had to be changed considerably. WL, the Meson gun does something like 14 dice, plus full auto, making it one of the most powerful weapons in the game but, in MS&PE, a Maxim machine gun does the same 14 dice, plus full auto, and a .50 caliber round does something like 44 dice. It inflates real quick.

PSI-5
Aug 21, 2007

The servolator is fried.

RagingBoner posted:

Alright guys, I think I've got all my poo poo together, so I just have to print these addresses off and mail them out, and we'll be sitting pretty.

Sorry it took forever.

I've been absent from here for a while and tonight it suddenly hit me, "Wasteland belt buckle!" and so I thought I'd check out the low down. So good timing by me.

Also, I missed Quarex.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
So it looks like Brian Fargo has other, even more ambitious plans besides Wasteland 2. The latest scoop is, he has acquired the Torment (as in Planescape: Torment) IP recently: http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=8650; http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/110214-brian-fargo-acquires-torment-ip-rights-spiritual-successor-in-the-works.html

The gist of this is that Planescape and Torment are two different trademarks. The former has been discontinued by Wizards of the Coast, but the latter has been grabbed by Fargo. So it'll be a spiritual successor to Torment rather than a direct sequel.

So what do we know at this point? It is known that this project is still in its very early stage. It is known that Colin McComb, Chris Avellone's second on Planescape: Torment, is involved. It is also rumored that the core of the writing team will consist more of book writers rather than pure game designers, which may be controversial. It isn't known in what role Chris Avellone might be involved, if any.

And that's pretty much it.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I have high hopes for this, but I really wish it'd be an actual sequal (to the game, not the story. Torment's story is finished). Planecape was the best d&d setting.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

That's actually a really interesting move. I think it's a good one - Brian Fargo is the kind of guy who would genuinely want to make a good sequel, but they'd have to get at least Chris Avellone working on it for it to feel legitimate. The only thing is, he doesn't want to do a sequel to it because the story's over. I have no doubt that after WL2 they could get him, but it kind of feels like the IP belongs with Obsidian more than with InXile.

The real problem is how are they going to do a Torment game without Planescape and without continuing the original story? So much of what the original was depended on the Planescape Setting, and if they were going to do a spiritual sequel, why buy the Torment IP at all?

The only real reason I can think of is to keep anyone else from doing anything with it for fear they'd screw it up. Brian Fargo strikes me as the kind of guy who'd want to "rescue" the brand rather than risk someone else run it into the ground.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
This is a very interesting scenario all around.

I have to assume Obsidian knew this was coming, since they are about as close as any two game companies. It would hardly surprise me if this became another collaboration between the two on down the line.

The only question is, do any of us actually understand how intellectual property works? I mean, I understand that Planescape is not part of this ... but what does that mean buying "Torment" even accomplishes? Surely they could have called a game "Torment" anyway? I suppose now they can call it "Torment" and have super-zany-crazy things.

Actually, wait, so maybe how it works is they obviously cannot use the standard D&D world/creatures/et cetera, but they could have Dak'kon and Nordom and Annah reappear?

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Basically, if there was a reasonable chance of someone mixing up Torment and Not-Torment, Not-Torment could've been forced to change their name. That's the short version, anyway.

Smol fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Dec 3, 2012

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Quarex posted:

The only question is, do any of us actually understand how intellectual property works? I mean, I understand that Planescape is not part of this ... but what does that mean buying "Torment" even accomplishes? Surely they could have called a game "Torment" anyway? I suppose now they can call it "Torment" and have super-zany-crazy things.

IANAL, but intuitively it would seem that "Torment" covers all the stuff not part of the Planescape setting - so, TNO and the other characters written by Black Isle (but not characters from the setting like the Lady of Pain), the actual plot of Torment (but not the backstory of Sigil), and any locations created for Torment like the Fortress of Regrets (but not Sigil itself, say).

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
They flat out said it would be a 'spiritual' sequel, which means, I suppose the Torment 'brand' would mostly be to get press and to give an idea of what the gameplay would be like, rather then recycling any locations or characters.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I really do like this discussion and want it to continue, but :siren: SOMETHING ACTUALLY HAPPENED :siren:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2/posts/361730?ref=email&show_token=9ebef4323bcd6675

:siren: TOASTER REPAIR IS NOT THE "SPECIAL BACKER SKILL" :siren:

Edit: It genuinely sends shivers down my spine to see the words "Alarm Disarm" relevant in 2012.

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 4, 2012

uftheory
May 30, 2003

I was having trouble making sense of that list of skills in random order...

Weapons
Brawling
Blunt Weapons
Bladed Weapons
Handgun
Shotgun
SMG
Rifle
Sniper Rifle
AT Weapons
Demolitions
Energy Weapons

Crafting
Weaponsmith
Bullet Swagging
Toaster Repair
Coin Crafting
Salvaging
Cyborg Tech

Conversation
Bartering
Intimidate
Spot Lie

Misc Skills
Animal Whisperer
Outdoorsman

Field Medic
Doctor

Silent Move
Pick Lock
Safecrack
Alarm Disarm

Evasion
Leadership
Backer Skill
Examine
Brute Force

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.

Fintilgin posted:

They flat out said it would be a 'spiritual' sequel, which means, I suppose the Torment 'brand' would mostly be to get press and to give an idea of what the gameplay would be like, rather then recycling any locations or characters.

I think this is exactly right. They've secured the rights to they can say "this game is like Planescape: Torment and made by (some of) the same guys who made Planescape: Torment" with some legitimacy. Probably a smart move.

Hopefully Avellone will be involved in at least some capacity. Given what's happening with Wasteland, I'm sure he wasn't surprised by this information.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I am surprised to see just how many weapon skills there are. I guess decided that the way to solve the problem of there being barely any viable weapons at the end game, this way clearly there will at least be one viable weapon per type, or something.

TOASTER REPAIR

I really am kind of mystified by what the backer skill can be, as I thought it had to be either Cyborg Tech or Toaster Repair if it was going to fulfill the role of being a nostalgia thing that was mostly for flavor. Clearly it is instead going to be something like "Looking Great In Leather."

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I was thinking they could be clever and make the backer skill be "philanthropy" or something.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

That raider portrait looks incredible. I really, really, really hope we'll be able to dress up our party like that.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Upmarket Mango posted:

That raider portrait looks incredible. I really, really, really hope we'll be able to dress up our party like that.

I'm not one for killing anyones enthusiasm for Wasteland 2, of all games, but this is kinda setting yourself up for disappointment, even a tiny bit, isn't it?

I mean, it's an isometric game where the characters are roughly 12 pixels high, the detail would probably not be in anything like the character model, more likely it's roughly how a bandit might look like or somesuch.

Maybe we'll get to use it as a portrait, I dunno.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I understand that, but it'd still be pretty rad to dress up my 12px tall mankillers like they just stepped out of Mad Max.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Slashrat posted:

I have high hopes for this, but I really wish it'd be an actual sequal (to the game, not the story. Torment's story is finished). Planecape was the best d&d setting.
I really don't understand why WOTC is so reluctant to license the setting. I can get that they don't want to support it in future or whatever, but they wouldn't have to. All they'd need to do is have Brian Fargo give them some money and then their role in the matter is done. It's free money for them.

Unless they have plans to resurrect Planescape themselves in the near future, I can't see what's behind their reluctance.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Dec 4, 2012

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

This is a surprise, inXile is crowdsourcing some of their 3D modelling. They are going to release concept art for assets they need on a weekly basis, modellers will have to submit their creations to the Unity Asset Store, and inXile will buy it from there. The first week's worth of asset requests has been released as part of all this. It is an ambitious experiment, we'll see how successful it is.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I am prepared to announce that this is the greatest news in the history of our sport, fans.

I cannot think of anything bad about this at all. I am sure somebody can puncture my Amazement Bubble, but ... sure, they are undoubtedly not going to pay nearly as well as if you actually worked for the company, but this is going to suddenly give every talented 3D modeller in the world a chance to suddenly have their work catapulted into the quasi-big leagues. And I have no doubt this is going to result in having more models than if they did it in-house anyway.

I AM NOT THE LEAST BIT EXCITED

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
This will be great, I hope we get to see the rejects (so we can point and laugh).

Good idea, though.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Zephro posted:

I really don't understand why WOTC is so reluctant to license the setting. I can get that they don't want to support it in future or whatever, but they wouldn't have to. All they'd need to do is have Brian Fargo give them some money and then their role in the matter is done. It's free money for them.

Unless they have plans to resurrect Planescape themselves in the near future, I can't see what's behind their reluctance.

It's probably the latter. Or it's a system shock situation. They'll sit on the rights forever rather than have someone else try to profit off of it.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

It might be about controlling the D&D brand. We'll never see a D&D 4 game, for instance, because now that they have the rights to video games back they want to focus on the next edition. Likewise making a game with a setting that doesn't gel with their idea of what D&D is might hurt the brand by creating the idea that D&D is supposed to be X while they want D&D to be Y.

Honestly I think that's the most likely scenario. They don't want people to think D&D is about all this weird poo poo. A new Planescape game would necessarily be about all this weird poo poo because that's basically what Planescape is. So it'd hurt the perception of the brand that they want to create.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I don't think Planescape is any weirder than base D&D. People have just gotten used to it because it's gone through nearly a dozen editions and been around almost 40 years now. It's a sort of cultural touchstone right now, but it was a weird concept when it started.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

I kinda disagree. Look at Torment. Look at Nordom, who looks like a reboot reject, or at those dudes that basically talk in rebus puzzles. Planescape is weird. That is why it worked for Torment, which revolved around deliberate inversions of a lot of ideas about fantasy. That's what Planescape is, and the fact that it provides for that kind of weirdness any playfulness is what makes Planescape attractive.

Seriously, compare that with the super-popular Tolkien nonsense that defines fantasy for most people. If you were selling D&D, would you want to latch on to Tolkien or Mervyn Peake? Who's more successful, George R.R. Martin or Michael Moorcock?

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

The Machine posted:

This will be great, I hope we get to see the rejects (so we can point and laugh).

Good idea, though.

If you look at the submission process, http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/unity they are being submitted to the Unity Asset Store first, which means that Unity is doing a pass over on them for quality first, and only those that Unity accepts into their asset store get passed onto inXile. For the Unity Asset Store, you submit something, Unity looks it over and accepts or rejects it. If accepted, you set a price for it, and if it ever is purchased 70% goes to you. If you submit something with a developer's name in the description, then should Unity accept it into their asset store, they will send it along to the developer to look at. Future Unity games can still use all assets submitted for this, regardless of whether inXile accepts them into Wasteland 2.

Basically, inXile's bounties will soon have created a full set of postapocalyptic assets in the Unity store, which any Unity game developer will be able to use. Unfortunately due to this submission process, we won't see the worst rejects, only things which get accepted by Unity but rejected by inXile.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

DemonNick posted:

Who's more successful, George R.R. Martin or Michael Moorcock?

Oh please let it be Michael Moorcock.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Nurge posted:

Martin has a very popular meme-spawning HBO series, man.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The MSJ posted:

Martin has a very popular meme-spawning HBO series, man.

And a young character so universally hated that if he dies in a sufficiently brutal way it'll bring about World Peace.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Nurge posted:

Never heard of him, and I actually enjoy genre fiction from time to time.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

And a young character so universally hated that if he dies in a sufficiently brutal way it'll bring about World Peace.

You know nothing Evil Fluffy.

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS
I remember hearing that the game is supposed to ship with a copy of Wasteland also. Have they said anything about how the game will be played, like if you have to use an emulator, or if it's been tweaked at all to play on newer computers or anything? Or did I just hallucinate all of that while I was riding through the desert on a horse with no name?

njark
Apr 26, 2008

Show them the Wasteland

Nails posted:

I remember hearing that the game is supposed to ship with a copy of Wasteland also. Have they said anything about how the game will be played, like if you have to use an emulator, or if it's been tweaked at all to play on newer computers or anything? Or did I just hallucinate all of that while I was riding through the desert on a horse with no name?

IIRC GoG was going to handle it so it will probably be in a dosbox wrapper.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

For those of you backers who haven't checked your email lately, Brian Fargo has gotten you a little Christmas present :)

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

inscrutable horse posted:

For those of you backers who haven't checked your email lately, Brian Fargo has gotten you a little Christmas present :)

Wow, that's so nice of th- Oh I already own it. News to me! :steam:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah, this is good stuff. I truly think Bard's Tale's neutral-at-best reputation is undeserved, and it had enough polish that it should still be perfectly playable now.

But yeah, go get your reward and play the game AND TELL THE CLASS HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT IT

Some parts of the game certainly are a little too long, but I remember being impressed by how well they spaced out memorable moments throughout the game, rather than having the opening chapter be the only good part.

(ChairChucker disagrees)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.
The only Bard's Tale I've ever played was 2 on my Apple IIgs so at the least this gift will bring back some memories.

• Locked thread