Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
There are any number of ways to make the Starchild better, but Walters would be damned before he'd let you ignore the great symbolism of that one little boy (the only child in the entire galaxy) lecturing you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Geostomp posted:

There are any number of ways to make the Starchild better, but Walters would be damned before he'd let you ignore the great symbolism of that one little boy (the only child in the entire galaxy) lecturing you.
In all fairness, I bet it's pretty horrific to watch the only child in the galaxy get incinerated by a gigantic mechanical demi-god.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
The Catalyst being the child from the beginning is one of the those things that could've been interesting, but it failed to execute miserably.

With the child in the first place, it's not that it doesn't make sense for Shepard to be tortured by his death, but they failed to provide a meaningful emotional connection to the child in the first place so the whole thing goes over like a wet fart.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
frankly, I've never gotten the massive levels of hurt over the child (other than his odd presence as the Catalyst), because Shep clearly isn't guilty because One Kid Died. To me, he's pretty clearly representative of everyone on earth that's getting murdered while he's basically shooting around the stars in his/her swank spaceship, trying to get governments to play nice together. This isn't "pretentious" or "artsy" symbolism here, it's as clear-cut as you can get.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The Catalyst as a concept was stupid and the kid's voice was annoying. The kid itself just becomes a focal point of many different but related threads of dislike.

I like to think the catalyst took the form of every child in the universe, shifting constantly. But they'd only made one model, so...

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

The Catalyst should've been Vigil. Now that would've been a mindfuck.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Fag Boy Jim posted:

frankly, I've never gotten the massive levels of hurt over the child (other than his odd presence as the Catalyst), because Shep clearly isn't guilty because One Kid Died. To me, he's pretty clearly representative of everyone on earth that's getting murdered while he's basically shooting around the stars in his/her swank spaceship, trying to get governments to play nice together. This isn't "pretentious" or "artsy" symbolism here, it's as clear-cut as you can get.

We all get that. The problem is that it was so obvious and forced that they might as well have a neon sign saying :siren:FEEL SAD NOW!!:siren: every time the little brat showed his face. When emotional manipulation, you can't help but feel a little insulted. Especially when there are so many better developed sources of pathos for Shepard that were skated over for the lowest common denominator of a child who existed to be killed.

You'd think someone who killed thousands in battle, was forced into genocide just to delay the apocalypse (for six months), and was resurrected from the dead might have more on their minds than that one kid s/he knew for about a minute.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 1, 2012

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

It's too bad that obsessive guilt isn't something logical or that you can easily compartmentalize.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CPFortest posted:

It's too bad that obsessive guilt isn't something logical or that you can easily compartmentalize.

It's also not something you can be coerced into feeling by heavy-handed imagery. The game tells me that Shepard is sad, but as a player I have no reason at all to feel sad about any of the Starkid's appearances.

It's an almost total failure of execution.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

To be fair, I was only saying that the idea of the child continuously haunting Shepard's dreams makes sense.

They did horribly botch the execution though, you are right about that.

hwordhan
Sep 27, 2012

Ask me about the taste of a video game character's breast milk!

Fag Boy Jim posted:

If the kid disappeared after the introduction and never be seen again I could accept that.
However grey dream sequences of Shepard "running" in slow motion behind Mass Effect's one and only child through Mass Effcet's one and only forest with sad piano music and shadowy figures in the background is a main town in artsy, pretentious symbolism country.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

CPFortest posted:

To be fair, I was only saying that the idea of the child continuously haunting Shepard's dreams makes sense.

They did horribly botch the execution though, you are right about that.

It actually would have been pretty cool to use Shepard's LI or "best bro" character plague their dreams instead of that kid.

Now that would have been a good story point. You, unable to save the one you care for most from the impending apocalypse.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Something I think would have been neat is that you could take any character that was ever playable in your squad for that final London mission. You get to have a last conversation with all of them, why not "Hey there's a shuttle standing by, get your rear end over here and let's wreck poo poo one more time." They already have the assets.

Y'all know you would have Zaeed there pissing all over Banshees.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Radio Paranoia posted:

It actually would have been pretty cool to use Shepard's LI or "best bro" character plague their dreams instead of that kid.

Now that would have been a good story point. You, unable to save the one you care for most from the impending apocalypse.

They half-heartedly did that with the whispers in the dream sequences, but those were largely irrelevant since they were in the background, and even then your LI would only be in the dreams if they died.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

SubponticatePoster posted:

Something I think would have been neat is that you could take any character that was ever playable in your squad for that final London mission. You get to have a last conversation with all of them, why not "Hey there's a shuttle standing by, get your rear end over here and let's wreck poo poo one more time." They already have the assets.

First off, this would be pretty cool.

Second, forget Zaeed. I haven't played with Wrex since the first game, it's high time to bash some more heads together.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

I enjoyed the irony of Earth being the focus point of all the marketing and the total amount of time of both Earth sections lasting about an hour and a half.

Craig Spradlin
Apr 6, 2009

Right in the babymaker.

precision posted:

It's also not something you can be coerced into feeling by heavy-handed imagery. The game tells me that Shepard is sad, but as a player I have no reason at all to feel sad about any of the Starkid's appearances.

Exactly this. Plus, the Starkid looks too much like the son of a friend of mine for me to take him seriously in any way ever. That he has :spergin: makes it even better/worse.

Craig Spradlin
Apr 6, 2009

Right in the babymaker.

That's going to be really tough when he's a pile of ashes in the ruins of an exploded refinery. :colbert:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Craig Spradlin posted:

That's going to be really tough when he's a pile of ashes in the ruins of an exploded refinery. :colbert:
You monster.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Finished my latest playthrough, I decided I would finally give the Control ending a try. Am I the only one who thinks that Starshepard's voiceover is extremely unnerving? It's like he has very little connection to who he was, even if he pledges to honor who he was. Given time, I'd be afraid he'd jumpstart the Reaper cycle again. It really reinforces how much I'd rather have seen the Starchild be one of the "beings of light" that is referenced in passing. Making them some kind of super evolved being instead of a stupid and possibly insane artificial intelligence would have been a better route. It would make me feel better about the Control ending if Shepard weren't reduced to some cold, emotionless program that seems to have far less personality than EDI or the geth.

Also, nice job Bioware, you left the Omega DLC out of the end credits.

Craig Spradlin
Apr 6, 2009

Right in the babymaker.

Ever since I found out it was possible, I have planned every playthrough (but one) for that specific outcome. Cranky old merc in it for a payday who sacrifices a whole building full of innocents to open a door? gently caress that guy. Besides, if I need a sharpshooter, it's Garrus all day every day, and has been ever since ME1. :sicknasty:

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

We've said this before, but I'll say this again: The Catalyst should have been Avina.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
edit: ^^^Haha. "How may I assist you in loving things up today?"

Craig Spradlin posted:

Ever since I found out it was possible, I have planned every playthrough (but one) for that specific outcome. Cranky old merc in it for a payday who sacrifices a whole building full of innocents to open a door? gently caress that guy. Besides, if I need a sharpshooter, it's Garrus all day every day, and has been ever since ME1. :sicknasty:
You do know that you can save all the poor workers and still get his loyalty by virtue of being a badass, right?

If those workers AND Zaeed are dying then it's your own drat fault for being milquetoast :colbert:

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Oh man I've had this game since March and I just got the Batarian State Arms gag.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Piedmon Sama posted:

Oh man I've had this game since March and I just got the Batarian State Arms gag.

Well I don't think I know this gag! What is it?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

precision posted:

Thank you.

You can't just tell your audience to feel a certain way and expect them to comply. You have to earn in. No amount of heavy-handed imagery, self-indulgent "artistic" scenes (the dream sequences), or sad piano music will sell your work unless you build it up the hard way. Unfortunately, Mac Walters and others thought they could just cheat by using all of that as well as straight up telling the player what they should think or feel through the characters multiple times (even with non-child related matters). Using melodrama as Spackle whenever the narrative got too weak.

All it did was show that the people running the show should not be allowed to do emotional work without constant supervision again.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Well I don't think I know this gag! What is it?

"Thank you for shopping at Batarian state arms. Your purchases.... are a credit to the Hegemony!" :haw:

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Alright, I've had a stupid idea for a playthrough and I'm taking part of it to goon vote because I can't decide:

If Ron Swanson were a SPECTRE, what class would he be?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Geostomp posted:

Thank you.

You can't just tell your audience to feel a certain way and expect them to comply. You have to earn in. No amount of heavy-handed imagery, self-indulgent "artistic" scenes (the dream sequences), or sad piano music will sell your work unless you build it up the hard way. Unfortunately, Mac Walters and others thought they could just cheat by using all of that as well as straight up telling the player what they should think or feel through the characters multiple times (even with non-child related matters). Using melodrama as Spackle whenever the narrative got too weak.

All it did was show that the people running the show should not be allowed to do emotional work without constant supervision again.

Exactly. You can't just tell your audience to feel sad when they lack an emotional investment in what's happening. A better way would have been to have all of the prior games' surviving squadmates at the trial (and actually have a trial), and have one of them be killed during the escape from Earth. I can see it being somewhat annoying for someone to die without you being able to prevent it, but for me it would have been emotionally grueling.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Alright, I've had a stupid idea for a playthrough and I'm taking part of it to goon vote because I can't decide:

If Ron Swanson were a SPECTRE, what class would he be?

Only willing to work within the system so that he can bring it down from within.

Thinks everyone should be entirely self sufficient.

Crafts fine wooden furniture.

Craig Spradlin
Apr 6, 2009

Right in the babymaker.

You do know that you can save all the poor workers and still get his loyalty by virtue of being a badass, right?

Oh, I know. I'm just saying someone who pulls a stunt like that doesn't get to roll with Shepard. And if Shepard's in a bad mood, he might just decide that this guy's a cancer and doesn't get to roll with anyone. And in ME2, my Shepard is in a bad mood by default. Waking up from the dead and finding himself and his ship flying Cerberus colors will do that to a fellow.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Craig Spradlin posted:

Exactly this. Plus, the Starkid looks too much like the son of a friend of mine for me to take him seriously in any way ever.

He looked way too much like Anakin Skywalker for me to take seriously.

Geostomp posted:

sad piano music

Speaking of music-out-of-nowhere, last night I finally got to the point in my latest playthrough where Shepard finally gets Kaidan to step out of the closet, and it was really underwhelming. There's not even the shortest of conversations about how Kaidan never showed any interest in Shepard (or men) the whole series? Just "I like you Shepard" "I like you too Kaidan!"?

I mean I guess you could make a argument that in the future, being omnisexual is the norm rather than the exception, but that would be a dumb argument, even if there are other things in the series that back up that assumption.

It's also unintentionally hilarious that right before I got that scene, I heard Kaidan's "random incidental dialogue" where he talks about how hot EDI is. :v:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I'd like to know how the goddamn catalyst knows how to find and destroy AI vs. destroying any and all data and programming in the universe. One set of 1s and 0s might be a bit indistinguishable from any other.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

precision posted:

Speaking of music-out-of-nowhere, last night I finally got to the point in my latest playthrough where Shepard finally gets Kaidan to step out of the closet, and it was really underwhelming. There's not even the shortest of conversations about how Kaidan never showed any interest in Shepard (or men) the whole series? Just "I like you Shepard" "I like you too Kaidan!"?

To be fair, if you played a man he never expressed any interest in anyone in the first two games. Though it's true that the character should have integrity across playthroughs. Point also taken about his comments about EDI and the Ardat-Yakshi.

Later scenes are far better, particularly the last two (including EC).

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

precision posted:

There's not even the shortest of conversations about how Kaidan never showed any interest in Shepard (or men) the whole series? Just "I like you Shepard" "I like you too Kaidan!"?

Doesn't he say something about how Shepard was always busy and the mission came first back then?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Geostomp posted:

No amount of heavy-handed imagery, self-indulgent "artistic" scenes (the dream sequences), or sad piano music will sell your work unless you build it up the hard way.

Counterpoint :colbert: :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4n4ldPRnRE

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tremors posted:

Doesn't he say something about how Shepard was always busy and the mission came first back then?

Not in the first scene, maybe later? The first scene is just "I'm looking for someone tall, dark and handsome, guess I don't have to look too far".

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

precision posted:

Not in the first scene, maybe later? The first scene is just "I'm looking for someone tall, dark and handsome, guess I don't have to look too far".

I think you only get that on a new game.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

epenthesis posted:

I think you only get that on a new game.

You mean with a non-imported Shepard? But I totally imported my Shepard. :raise:

edit: And on a non-import game, don't male Shepards always get Ashley as the Virmire Survivor anyway?

e2: I might have not gotten the "mission always came first" dialogue because this Shep romanced Jack in ME2, I guess. I can't remember but he may have romanced Ashley and then sent her to her death, too. :tali:

precision fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
So I've been reading this thread and wondering what the general hate levels were for that mission where you went inside the geth or something and had to shoot heaps of stupid blocks with some crappy gun for ages. The game to me overall was good and I didn't even hate the ending that much but drat did that bit piss me right the gently caress off.

• Locked thread