Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

And the Itsy Bitsy Spider
went up the spout again.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Piaggio? The scooter manufacturer?

In 1966, the company separated into two separate entities, one was Vespa motor scooter and the other Piaggio Aero. Though one focused on the developments of the motor scooter and the other on aeronautical, both companies still maintain the Piaggio name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Like Saab's "Born from jets" thing. Though the average Italian scooter rider probably acts more like a fighter pilot than the average Saab driver.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

InitialDave posted:

Like Saab's "Born from jets" thing. Though the average Italian scooter rider probably acts more like a fighter pilot than the average Saab driver.

I dunno, we're used to feigning calm while going down in flames.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Piaggio's are funny for me as an air traffic controller because I go from "loving slowtation clogging up the skies" to impressed by the turboprop at FL380 doing 350kts over the ground when I check the type.

If I ever won the lottery I'd probably pick one up.

blambert
Jul 2, 2007
you spin me right round baby right round.
So this fine gentleman is building his own helicopter.

Wonderful.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

blambert posted:

Wonderful.

This week, on Junkyard Wars...

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

blambert posted:

Wonderful.

Is there any way that could be light enough to actually fly? That looks about as airworthy as the reliant robin space shuttle.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Understeer posted:

USS Enterprise has been inactivated. In other news, the name will live on.

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-dewline/2012/12/uss-enterprise-inactivated-cvn.html
Awesome news! Hopefully this leads to some other good carrier names coming back. Lexington, Saratoga, Essex...

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

blambert posted:

Wonderful.

Yup, no way that could go wrong.

He should really talk to RB211-shed-guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM7ksfRVF70

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Awesome news! Hopefully this leads to some other good carrier names coming back. Lexington, Saratoga, Essex...

There should be far fewer individuals' names and far more battle names.

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!

Godholio posted:

We'll never get the Normandy in time for Mass Effect unless we start that way now.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Godholio posted:

All but one of the Ticonderoga CGs are named after battles.

And the one that isn't has already been retired.

ctishman posted:

We'll never get the Normandy in time for Mass Effect unless we start that way now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Normandy_(CG-60)

Ridge_Runner_5
May 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Kilonum posted:

And the one that isn't has already been retired.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Normandy_(CG-60)

But does it have a bird for Weps and a gypsy running the engines?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Godholio posted:

I'm not even American and this bugs me to no end. Oh look, the Gerald Ford grounded on a reef, and the George Bush is violating a nation's international waters. poo poo! The navigation computer on the Reagan is on the fritz and it's just going around in circles! Does every president need to have a warship named after him?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Kilonum posted:

That's something, but carriers should go back to names like Yorktown, Saratoga, Lexington, Coral Sea, Ticonderoga, and Bunker loving Hill. I'm glad that the Enterprise name will continue with a new carrier, but most of these names have drifted to destroyers. Name destroyers after people who earn it, and carriers after events that call to mind American military might. It's a tool of power projection. NOBODY IS AFRAID OF GERALD FORD.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Blistex posted:

I'm not even American and this bugs me to no end. Oh look, the Gerald Ford grounded on a reef, and the George Bush is violating a nation's international waters. poo poo! The navigation computer on the Reagan is on the fritz and it's just going around in circles! Does every president need to have a warship named after him?

I couldn't stop giggling every time I heard "The USS OBAMA" in Black Ops II. I'm all for naming carriers after battles/stuff other than people, but eh, precedent has been set I guess.

Oh and I guess John Stennis is cool enough to join that club.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

NightGyr posted:

Is there any way that could be light enough to actually fly? That looks about as airworthy as the reliant robin space shuttle.

Weight probably isn't that huge an issue, modern engines have a plenty good enough size:power ratio to allow something like that to fly without huge engines, sure, it's not going to be as nimble as a lynx or something, but 'fly' is a lot easier to achieve. If we were still talking about the kind of engines in the first helicopters, then sure weight of the fuselage etc is going to matter, but we're not.

Whether he can build a swashplate & rotor system that won't fall apart and render him in tiny pieces? That's another story.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Jimmy Carter got a sub named after him.

But then again, he served in subs when he was in the Navy. Same argument can be made for George H. W. Bush with the carrier named after him.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Thought this might be a good thread for this.

Want to go fishing in a remote spot in Alaska? Just hire a batshit crazy person with an airplane and go!

http://www.vid4fun.com/video_player/index.php?vid=103

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Kilonum posted:

But then again, he served in subs when he was in the Navy. Same argument can be made for George H. W. Bush with the carrier named after him.

Gerald Ford served on USS [i[Monterey[/i] CVL-26, during WWII.

I still dislike the practice of naming major warships after individuals, but at least those three have some connection to the Navy, unlike, say, John C. Stennis.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

MrYenko posted:

I still dislike the practice of naming major warships after individuals, but at least those three have some connection to the Navy, unlike, say, John C. Stennis.

There are a few I can understand. Stennis, Teddy Roosevelt, Ike and Nimitz, for example. But does JFK deserve a second carrier named after him? Does every Secretary of the Navy get one?

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

The Locator posted:

Want to go fishing in a remote spot in Alaska? Just hire a batshit crazy person with an airplane and go!

I'd argue somewhat that you don't have to be batshit crazy to do that sort of thing, but then again I like off airport stuff.

Saying that, some people are a bit crazy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwskg_5xrlU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Kilonum posted:

As a Brit, I thought it was a joke when I saw the Terminator episode.

There's also the gag in The Final Countdown where having the USS Nimitz in 1941 raises questions about why a serving officer has a ship named after him.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Wow lots of catching up to do. Took a couple students on the road this weekend to Andrews AFB (yeah i know its actually Joint Base Andrews now). Thanks to my milbros for picking up the Q&A slack. Here comes some :words:

Geizkragen posted:

I'll jump on the vulturesrow QA session as well.
<---F/A18C and E, O3E looking to get on the vulturesrow dreamride known as "I'm a Terminal O4 so gently caress your fitrep cycle" (:ssh:actually I'm a Kool-Aid drinker, I want to command a squadron one day, but terminal O4 would not suck either)

Technically Im not a terminal O4 yet, my first look is the upcoming board, but the writing is on the wall. That said, Id put my record up against anyone's, I was just a victim of not staying on the "correct" career track and of the Prowler to Growler NFO crunch. And its ok to want to command a squadron, Im just suspicious of the guys who have that as their driving goal in their life/career. I was always more of a just do the best job I can and let the chips fall where they may kind of guy.

quote:

Short answer is: we don't use personal callsigns much at all airborne.

Yeah its not an everyday kind of thing. Also remember I am a Prowler dude, there are 4 dudes in the aircraft and I may want to talk to a specific one in another aircraft about something. So there's that.

quote:

Lots of good, accurate answers on this already. The AF way is exactly like the Navy way, but we would almost (aaaaalmost) never do it in public because we're bad at decent, human interaction and behavior when we drink together.
See:
Tailhook '91
http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2011189,00.html
http://www.cafepress.com/dd/6856558 Good job to the guys wearing this in public in a bar in Virginia Beach. It only made the NY Times.

I was stationed in Oceana when this whole mess went down. I thought it actually broke on the boat when an AP reporter went into a Tomcat ready room to do some article research or something and saw said shirt and wrote the article about it. IIRC, the CO and CAG were summoned post-haste to see the CNAF Admiral, who I believe was Admiral Zortman(sp?) at the time. But yeah, we are mostly idiots.

Delivery McGee posted:

Ever tried cooking popcorn or a Hot Pocket or other microwave food with the jamming pods? Obviously you can't crank the power on the ground with people standing around, but I could see somebody taping a bag of popcorn to the radome before heading out on an exercise just to see if it works, for :science:.

Can't say I've ever heard of anyone trying that.

CommieGIR posted:

Late to the party, but they had a couple Prowlers next to our C-130 MX squadron at Bagram, always wanted to go chit chat but never found the time.

We also had a couple twine turboprop Army birds, I'm assuming Intel because they were COVERED cockpit to tail in antennas.

Almost certainly Army Guardrails. Google it.

Orange Someone posted:

From memory, the Prowler could carry HARMs, it's got the hardpoints for ordinance. I don't know whether it'd have the software to drop bombs effectively.

The Growler is meant to be very very close to the Super Hornet; it's only lost the internal cannon and the wingtip rails to EW kit. It's kept all the underwing hardpoints and I can't see any reason they'd want to remove the ordianance functionality.

The JSOW is a precision guided glide bomb, so . . . it's a bomb, so I guess the Growler can drop bombs.

Its not that ordnance fucntionality is removed, its that everything they want to hang on the aircraft has go through the whole test process to see how it works hanging next to jammer pods. This costs money, etc. We have lots of Hornets that can already drop bombs so the initial G models werent rated to carry ordnance. They probably wont ever carry much beyond GPS guided weapons because jamming is the primary message.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Blistex posted:

No, just Republican ones, but don't forget we also name aircraft carriers after horrible racist cunts like Stennis and Vinson, too.

edit - I should clarify I was just talking about CVNs.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

drgitlin posted:

No, just Republican ones, but don't forget we also name aircraft carriers after horrible racist cunts like Stennis and Vinson, too.

edit - I should clarify I was just talking about CVNs.

Ahem, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Harry_S._Truman_(CVN-75)

:colbert:

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
D'oh.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

The Locator posted:

I have a hard time believing most of that was filmed in Alaska. The dirt just isn't the right color. The trees are off, too. Idaho, maybe? I know those guys do film in Alaska so it is possible. They put out a video once where 4 people in a Maule landed on about a 30* slope on a glacier. That looked flipping nuts!

Colonel K posted:

I'd argue somewhat that you don't have to be batshit crazy to do that sort of thing, but then again I like off airport stuff.

Saying that, some people are a bit crazy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwskg_5xrlU

Looks closely, that guy was in the other video.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
I noticed, I think it's Greg Miller's Modified Maule, but not sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyFq4Bm9eEY Here's one of the other well known guys with a supercub.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

vulturesrow posted:

Almost certainly Army Guardrails. Google it.

Looks like someone mentioned them in passing earlier in the thread. That's certainly a whole mess of antennas. :stare:

LOO posted:

King Air with doodads (King Air 300 ISR)

e:whoops privately hosted, fixing

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

If anyone could find this image in higher resolution I'd be grateful. (Reverse image search wasn't much help, unfortunately)

:clint: Convair 880

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Well this should be a mission. We need to find the best, scariest, or strangest low passes.

Somewhere I saw video where the fuel tank of a low flying jaguar (I think..) scraped the roof of a truck.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Previa_fun posted:

If anyone could find this image in higher resolution I'd be grateful. (Reverse image search wasn't much help, unfortunately)

Owns

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Previa_fun posted:

Here's the airliners.net page for a B&W version. You might contact the photographer?

Imgur isn't working, so here's a larger B&W

e: The color and B&W pics were taken by different guys at the same time.
Here's the story (with both photographer's names)
(it's a good story)

The color film guy's story starts on page 5 of this pdf
and there's a big color photo page 6.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Dec 4, 2012

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

joat mon posted:

Here's the airliners.net page for a B&W version. You might contact the photographer?

Imgur isn't working, so here's a slightly larger B&W

Thanks, I'll look into getting in contact with the photographer.

Looking at those other pictures...the 880 was a great looking aircraft. Probably my favorite of the era.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
it was taken 40 years ago by a photographer who wasn't very young at the time. I don't know that that'll work.

edit: I believe it was the 3rd fastest commercial aircraft to fly regular services. The other two being the concorde and the tu144.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Imgur's back up.

http://i.imgur.com/xh2lX.jpg
(1109 X 740)

B&W guy stayed up a fraction of a second longer than color guy...

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

:hellyeah: Thank you.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Captain Postal posted:

it was taken 40 years ago by a photographer who wasn't very young at the time. I don't know that that'll work.

edit: I believe it was the 3rd fastest commercial aircraft to fly regular services. The other two being the concorde and the tu144.

The 990 was also pretty fast, though I'm not sure if you need to make a distinction between the two. Speaking of which, if you're in the area of MHV they've got at least one sitting around still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Heres a Convair 880 in Africa that looks to be in American Airlines flying shape!

clickee bigee