Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

For anyone on the fence, Dragon's Dogma is supposed to be on sale for Amazon's black friday thing for $40.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Mortuus posted:

I don't know if this is really obvious and I'm just stupid, but does the DLC weapons and armor apply to one character or one profile? I'm not sure if it's a one time use thing per character, or if I buy it I can only use it on one character ever. The description in the DLC is kind of confusing. Provided my question even makes sense, of course.

On the same topic, are there any DLCs that are really good? I'm definitely skipping on the quest ones, but I'd love more weapons and armor in the game and would like to know if anybody has any that are really worth it.

On the Xbox 360, DLC applies to every character on every profile on the xbox you bought it. The xbox has some shenanigans (for DLC for any game) if you transfer your profile to another xbox but I can't remember how it exactly works; I think it's only usable on your profile then, though.

There are some armors in the two quest packs that have useful unique effects (climb on monsters faster and poo poo) but all the weapons and cosmetic armor DLC are really weak compared to post-game gear.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007

DrManiac posted:

For anyone on the fence, Dragon's Dogma is supposed to be on sale for Amazon's black friday thing for $40.

Is it ps3? The flier I saw was just for 360.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

Count Uvula posted:

There are some armors in the two quest packs that have useful unique effects (climb on monsters faster and poo poo) but all the weapons and cosmetic armor DLC are really weak compared to post-game gear.
Even so, once you're past the point the game is hard, you might as well equip you and your pawn with whatever makes you look the coolest. The game will still be easy, and your pawn will stand out more to people looking for party members.

Mortuus
Nov 8, 2012

Jesus loves you, useless corpse

Count Uvula posted:

On the Xbox 360, DLC applies to every character on every profile on the xbox you bought it. The xbox has some shenanigans (for DLC for any game) if you transfer your profile to another xbox but I can't remember how it exactly works; I think it's only usable on your profile then, though.

Thanks. Looks like I'm passing on the DLC then. At least until the big one comes out next year.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

360 version is $10 on the Microsoft Store right now, along with about a billion other games. No idea how long this is supposed to last.

edit: out of stock

Phoix fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 24, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I just read that new free DLC with hard mode and time attack mode is coming out on the 4th in Japan, I assume soon after elsewhere. I'm only interested if it changes enemy types/numbers/positions/AI though, not just higher hit points and damage.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

I for one can't wait for the Dark Arisen DLC. I really hope it adds more epic monsters to climb up and stab. I am thoroughly enjoying the game and can't wait for new content.

I also really hope they fix the graphical glitches. While I am the type of person to ignore that kind of thing, it still is off putting.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

If you beat hard mode, you can get the duke's outfit:

And if you beat the trial mode you can get a costume to make you look like Barnaby and Selene.

I'm with you Sanders; I really hope hard mode remixes encounters something like starting the post-game does with the walk to the city. In particular, I want to see more death knights--they dropped loot I needed for forging and were fun to fight but were honestly a bitch to find. I think I fought a total of...five? in all the hours I put in.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
A friend got me this for my birthday and I am loving it thus far. One thing though, I don't feel like I am doing enough damage. I have upgraded my sword as much as I can and have my pawn buffing me. I don't expect to cleave a cyclops or something in half in a few hits but it takes me forever to get anywhere while I inevitably get jumped by huge monsters.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

lokipunk posted:

A friend got me this for my birthday and I am loving it thus far. One thing though, I don't feel like I am doing enough damage. I have upgraded my sword as much as I can and have my pawn buffing me. I don't expect to cleave a cyclops or something in half in a few hits but it takes me forever to get anywhere while I inevitably get jumped by huge monsters.
Well, if you're talking about the ogre that's in the underground spiral staircase place, that's just bad design. It has no weaknesses and it feels like you're flogging it with a wet noodle no matter what. Every other large enemy has weak points that make fighting it much faster.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Jump on it and clamber onto its face and perform amateur rhinoplasty until it dies. That worked for me until I had the raw damage to take them down with more traditional combos.

edit: I really can't wait for hard mode to come out because I want to play my guy again. I was just thinking that maybe the game would be better if your levels capped out earlier. Like, make 30 the cap until you enter post game and then take it to 40 or 50. And of course bump things up in NG+. After a certain point levels are basically meaningless.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 27, 2012

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Lotish posted:

And if you beat the trial mode you can get a costume to make you look like Barnaby and Selene.

Who was Barnaby? The player character in the intro of the game with the English armor?

e: VVVVVVVVVV Oh, that's boring as heck then.

Count Uvula fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Nov 27, 2012

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Count Uvula posted:

Who was Barnaby? The player character in the intro of the game with the English armor?

No, the Pawn in charge of the Pawn's Guild.

Wooph
Oct 28, 2010

by angerbot
Is the PC version just... not happening?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Wooph posted:

Is the PC version just... not happening?
I sure hadn't heard anything about it. You say "the" like it was expected or something.

Wooph
Oct 28, 2010

by angerbot
I was kind of expecting it, since the last PC game Capcom released was Lost Planet 2 two years ago. I guess they're just gonna skip over to RE6 now.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Is the free dlc out already? I think even japanese players got tired of beating the urdragon

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Honest Thief posted:

Is the free dlc out already? I think even japanese players got tired of beating the urdragon

Nope. December 4th for Japan, hopefully the same for other regions.

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE
I am itching to pick this game up again too. Even if Hard Mode doesn't come out soon, when the semester ends I might just have to start a fresh, non level-108 file and start over with all the foreknowledge I have.

Though nothing beat my first few hours, exploring the world, totally unsure of where I was supposed to be, and then being brutally, brutally murdered.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Wooph posted:

I was kind of expecting it, since the last PC game Capcom released was Lost Planet 2 two years ago. I guess they're just gonna skip over to RE6 now.

Capcom UK posted on twitter that "it's coming", then promptly deleted the tweet. RE6 and DmC are both getting PC releases next year, it will be a huge shame if Dragon's Dogma doesn't get one also. I held off on buying this on console because I assumed a PC version was coming and I really dislike performance issues in games. If they don't announce a PC version around the time that the expansion comes out I may finally buy it on PS3, darn you Capcom!

Cerebral Wolf
Jun 20, 2008
Eurogamer reported that what was posted on twitter was a mistake, capcom apparently went on record to say it's not coming to the PC.

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012
If you follow Capcom games there is one simple rule: never ever believe anything Capcom_UK says. Ever.

I wouldn't wait for a PC version. Capcom announces their PC versions pretty early. And then they let you wait.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Apparently the December 4th release date for Hard Mode is worldwide, and not just for Japan.

I think I'll roll up a new character and pawn for Hard Mode. Now that I've got into the swing of things with the Everfall, I'm itching to switch over from a Mystic Knight to a Magic Archer.

nothing will be able to fill the void in my heart where Great Cannon is now, though...

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've stayed away from the game for a few months since I'll hopefully forget some things and it'll make the next run more entertaining. So long as the hard mode isn't just a couple of cheap multipliers to damage or health, and actually changes the game so that I don't have to artificially make it harder or easier, it could be pretty great.

In a way the speedrun mode could have the same effect, since you would be unable to do a lot of sidequests and would have to find ways to pick up a few extra levels and good gear along the way quickly, without being able to get all of it.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I love how I boot the game up for the first time in almost four months, and when I rested at the inn I got 700k RC. Guess I'll buy that rich person ring.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Don't forget to buy the rich person earring, too!

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Oh praise the Arisen, finally Hard Mode is coming.

I don't even care if it IS just buffing monsters at this point and not adding in new encounters, I just need the game to feel like a challenge again so I'll be motivated to plow through my second playthrough and work towards cleaning up the last few trophies.

Maybe I'll finally deviate from my daggers and swords to try out Magick Archer and Knight to see if the cannon hype is accurate.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Fight a relatively stationary large monster, like a Cyclops, lay down some Great Cannons at the foot of the monster(s), drop some of the ground traps (I forget what they're called), watch in awe as your FPS drops to the single digits.

Magick Archer is super fun to play. Most definitely my favorite class to go around in. It's just a matter of getting the appropriate stat growth through other classes so you don't have to suffer through the MA's mediocre stat growth.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Speaking of Cyclops, I played a warrior for most of the game, and it was weird that I never really seemed to be able to kill them faster at high level than at low. Did they just have massive damage resistance or something? I remember lightning magic could totally wreck them, but even after I got to the point I could obliterate ogres with basic attacks, cyclopes just took an absurd amount of punishment.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Nahxela posted:

Fight a relatively stationary large monster, like a Cyclops, lay down some Great Cannons at the foot of the monster(s), drop some of the ground traps (I forget what they're called), watch in awe as your FPS drops to the single digits.

Magick Archer is super fun to play. Most definitely my favorite class to go around in. It's just a matter of getting the appropriate stat growth through other classes so you don't have to suffer through the MA's mediocre stat growth.

You might be thinking of Ruinous Sigil. That plus the aforementioned Great Cannon is a great way to murder monsters as well as your PS3.

Seriously, I think this is the only game to bring the MT framework to its knees.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
It wasn't really designed with open world environments in mind. I remember hearing they had to do quite a bit of work to get it working as well as it does.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Starting to play again for the hell of it, come on to my pawn getting me 341 THOUSAND DP. At that point I only had 200 thousand.

But seriously, gently caress the guy who gave me a rotten fish :mad:

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

GameFly has both versions for $19.99. This is the cheapest I've seen it so far.

- PS3

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Gyoru posted:

- PS3

People, you need to jump in on this. Dragon's Dogma is a game that has somehow retained a good portion of it's value. This may be the cheapest for a good long while.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Gyoru posted:

- PS3

It sucks that we might not see a PC version, but considering I've got a PS3 on the way, I might as well bite for a second copy of the game to get at that sweet sweet non-premium console service so I can use player pawns again.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Doesn't the free hard mode update come out tomorrow?

*checks up the thread*

Yes, it does. This is an excellent time to buy.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 4, 2012

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Some Dark Arisen details:
http://www.siliconera.com/2012/12/04/dragons-dogma-dark-arisen-isnt-a-sequel-its-an-expansion-with-black-spell-island/

quote:

The expanded game has new characters, monsters, new parts, Black Spell island, and huge underground area to explore. Players can import save data from Dragon’s Dogma into Dark Arisen.

The Challenger Pack DLC (Hard Mode) is up on XBL - 556KB. PSN DLC will be up later today.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
So... what's the difference with hard mode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Uhh, so it's a re-release of the whole game with new stuff? Could be neat.

• Locked thread