Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Drifter posted:

But yeah, laying out stretch goals like that before a significant portion of the main kickstart project is funded seems...unprofessional or 'heads in the clouds-ish' for some reason. Those aren't -quite- the words I want, but it comes close, for now.
The words you're looking for are very confident, or perhaps pompous and self absorbed. Which one it is depends on how successful the kickstarter turns out to be. Pre-planning stretch goals is something everyone should do, it's important to have a sense of how your project will scale if it gets overfunded and have a plan for how you're going to make that enticing. On the other hand, it's not something that should be presented to the world until the project is funded, since it comes off as taking backers for granted and should leave room for adjustment based on backer feedback and reaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
For me, stretch goals that dramatically alter gameplay are a big turn-off. Oh, you're going to introduce a new character class or new items? That just shows that your game has no planning, no vision. Imagine Blizzard running a kickstarter (ridiculousness of that aside, just pretend) and having a 4th race as a stretch goal. The only way that could ever happen is if it was tacked on haphazardly, and in this example's case, it might even ruin the rest of the game.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

The words you're looking for are very confident, or perhaps pompous and self absorbed. Which one it is depends on how successful the kickstarter turns out to be. Pre-planning stretch goals is something everyone should do, it's important to have a sense of how your project will scale if it gets overfunded and have a plan for how you're going to make that enticing. On the other hand, it's not something that should be presented to the world until the project is funded, since it comes off as taking backers for granted and should leave room for adjustment based on backer feedback and reaction.

I think it depends on the type of project you have. If you have a modest project goal that clearly has room to grow beyond the original pitch, it might be good to show what your plans are beyond merely making your initial goal. Stretch Goals don't have to come across as overconfident or unprofessional, but in a project that already seems too big for it's boots they probably look out of place.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Orzo posted:

For me, stretch goals that dramatically alter gameplay are a big turn-off. Oh, you're going to introduce a new character class or new items? That just shows that your game has no planning, no vision. Imagine Blizzard running a kickstarter (ridiculousness of that aside, just pretend) and having a 4th race as a stretch goal. The only way that could ever happen is if it was tacked on haphazardly, and in this example's case, it might even ruin the rest of the game.
I don't think this is true at all. Well the Blizzard part maybe, but I don't see why adding more gameplay stuff has to mean that there's no planning or vision. It may just mean that the devs are aware of how large a budget they need to in order develop certain features. Or do you think Project Eternity had no planning or vision?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Orzo posted:

Well, using your example, I think it depends upon how it's done.

It could be the stretch goal is also helping to pre-fund DLC. There's been some really good DLC for a lot of games. It could be that the same extra cash just means that they'd be able to hire an extra gameplay programmer or artist to work specifically on that one set of characters or items that while really cool would have prevented them from focusing on the other aspects of the game at the smaller budget.

I really don't see it as bad. But I do know the other side of what you're talking about. I've seen people here talk about projects that have used kickstarter TIERS to delineate what parts of a game you're getting...I forget the game but holy poo poo I was disgusted. And I can easily see stretch goals doing similar if done poorly.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Orzo posted:

But the point of a stretch goal is that now they have more resources to devote to designing the stretch goal element, which includes balancing the rest of the systems to accommodate the new elements. In fact, when done right, posing such a thing as a stretch goal would actually indicate the opposite of "no planning, no vision," because it speaks to an awareness of what they can accomplish with a given set of resources and what they can change if they have more time, money, and manpower.

ChaoticKitten
Dec 3, 2012

Go, go, Fumiko fireball!

Maluco Marinero posted:

I think it depends on the type of project you have. If you have a modest project goal that clearly has room to grow beyond the original pitch, it might be good to show what your plans are beyond merely making your initial goal. Stretch Goals don't have to come across as overconfident or unprofessional, but in a project that already seems too big for it's boots they probably look out of place.

I'm new here and hopefully im not saying this out of place, but I agree with you.
My kickstarter approach fits in to the "stretch goal" issue here, in a sense.
My husband and I had the start to a really nice little game, but didn't know how far to take it, so we chose to use kickstarter as a voting system in a sense. we put the minimum needed to flesh out the game($5k), and then put all of our possible plans for the game up as stretch goals, adjusting them for some really good ideas from backers.
we want people to be able to play the game in all forms, so all stretch goals will be like an expansion, you won't end up with some mutant game that other people want.

To us Kickstarter is a way of gauging the market and seeing how well our game will do(worth the effort), and getting the money needed to continue working on it and making it the best we can.

miguelito
Oct 5, 2012

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
(ask me about sexy shaving)
The only good day 1 stretch goals are the comedic ones.
See: Barkley 2 where you don't know what half of them even do, or Tim Schaefer's DF adventure where a couple of them were just played as jokes.

Other than that, stretch goals make me laugh. Big props to Castle Story who simply stated that extra cash will go into the game, and that's it.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Toffile posted:

SpikeTV's "Deadliest Warrior" had a card game?

No, but it does have an unbalanced PSN fighting game that's a lot more fun than it has any right to be.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The Pathfinder MMO just got a nice bit of advertising from the CEO of Reaper. One assumes they sent this out to all of their Bones sponsors:

quote:

Hello, friends! First I want to take a moment to tell you how much I appreciate your support for our Bones Kickstarter campaign. We're still reeling from the incredible outpouring. We really appreciate you.

Second, sending an email to endorse anything is not something I've ever done before, but Paizo and Goblinworks' Pathfinder MMORPG is not just any project or product, so there's a first time for everything.

You could probably guess that we're all fanatic miniature figurine enthusiasts here at Reaper, and it's probably no surprise that just about everyone here at Reaper enjoys online gaming. In fact, a new WoW release is an actual option you can select when submitting a time-off request form. So, when our friends at Paizo get involved in an MMO, naturally everyone here at Reaper became extremely excited about Pathfinder Online.

Reaper and Paizo have a long history together going all the way back to Dragon Magazine and continues today with our officially licensed Pathfinder Miniatures line. Through the years we've learned they are incredibly passionate, creative and professional game and world designers, and they love the adventure game industry.

When you back this project, you're backing the grass roots that our industry was built upon. Goblinworks and Paizo are companies that are made up of gamers just like you and me. They truly understand what an RPG is meant to be, and the potential for their fantasy sandbox MMO is really exciting!

Please take a few minutes of your time to watch the video and back their Kickstarter. With your help, Pathfinder Online will become a sandbox we will all enjoy.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1675907842/pathfinder-online-a-fantasy-sandbox-mmo

I hope to see you in Golarion!

Best wishes,
Ed Pugh
CEO

speng31b
May 8, 2010

miguelito posted:

Other than that, stretch goals make me laugh. Big props to Castle Story who simply stated that extra cash will go into the game, and that's it.

Hey, big props to Castle Story for every reason. That is a good model of what a good Kickstarter is and how to run it. Start with a working prototype to demonstrate that you are not full of poo poo, offer that prototype to your backers, don't waste tons of resources on ridiculous rewards and stretch goals that drastically expand the scope of your game. These should be Golden loving Rules unless you are such a big name that the rules clearly don't apply.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
That Pathfinder Kickstarter is kind of weird. Since they made the tech demo and secured funding already, the Kickstarter is just to give them more money so they can make the game quicker and with more content, but wouldn't it make more sense to run this sort of thing themselves, rather than via Kickstarter, because that way they wouldn't need to reach $1 million to get any of the money? Since the game is already funded by their investors, it's not like earning $760,000 would be less than they need to make the game - they could make the game with $0 from Kickstarter. So why bother setting a high limit on the amount of money people need to pledge before you can start selling stuff directly to them? Why not do a Star Citizen-esque thing where you just let people buy in directly? Why gate the funding such that you only get any of it if you get at least $1 million of it?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

ChaoticKitten posted:

I'm new here and hopefully im not saying this out of place, but I agree with you.
My kickstarter approach fits in to the "stretch goal" issue here, in a sense.
My husband and I had the start to a really nice little game, but didn't know how far to take it, so we chose to use kickstarter as a voting system in a sense. we put the minimum needed to flesh out the game($5k), and then put all of our possible plans for the game up as stretch goals, adjusting them for some really good ideas from backers.
we want people to be able to play the game in all forms, so all stretch goals will be like an expansion, you won't end up with some mutant game that other people want.

To us Kickstarter is a way of gauging the market and seeing how well our game will do(worth the effort), and getting the money needed to continue working on it and making it the best we can.

Can I see your kickstarter? I think now that I've asked you can link it without it being shilling :)

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

TychoCelchuuu posted:

That Pathfinder Kickstarter is kind of weird.

Their tier rewards are terrible too, who the hell needs six copies of the game with three month subs each. They'd probably sell out of a limited $200 "lifetime subscription" tier in a heartbeat. People love their founder editions.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Azhais posted:

The Pathfinder MMO just got a nice bit of advertising from the CEO of Reaper. One assumes they sent this out to all of their Bones sponsors:

I was surprised to see that, since I hadn't paid attention to that KS since the first day or two when the money was rolling in and it looked like they had the goal well in hand; I wouldn't think they'd need to be hitting up their KS famous friends for plugs quite so soon. It looks like things have slowed way down since then, though, moreso than is usual for Kickstarters between the first two days and last two days.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
When you lay out your stretch goals right from the beginning you also take away the potential positive effect it might have on backers later on when it's needed the most. Project Eternity used them smartly and it raised the final sum by an incredible amount. It would be silly to say the well-thought-out stretch goals were the only factor but they contributed considerably.

ChaoticKitten
Dec 3, 2012

Go, go, Fumiko fireball!

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Can I see your kickstarter? I think now that I've asked you can link it without it being shilling :)

*giggles* I can link it for you, but I haven't manually searched through the whole thread so it may be a re-post, if so, I apologize.

Here you are : http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/robotloveskitty/legend-of-dungeon

It's a roguelike Beat'em'up with 1-4 player co-op, and we used dynamic lighting on the art. The music is something I am really excited about too, it's going to assemble as you play, with different tracks depending on what monsters are in the room.

Basically the game is about dying and treasure.

I'd love feedback on it too, this game/kickstarter is looking like our best chance to live like normal humans while doing what we love, no more tree house game studio!

ThreeStone
Jul 26, 2011
Thanks for the responses everyone, I'll try to get to everyone's feedback tonight.

voltron lion force posted:

Make a zombies vs. ninjas version and you can have all of my wallets goonsir.

I can neither confirm nor deny the existence for a zombie faction in the future. Pretty sure the "Plaguebearer" ability is in the prototype deck right now though.

Francois Kofko posted:

Your game looks dumb and bad.

I will pass this along to the rest of the dev team, thanks!

Lordy posted:

Not to be rude or anything but how do you expect to get 200,000 dollars for a free to play card game that seems to digital cards and the first reward to actually have one booster pack is 25$?

I think you have a good point about the first reward tier, I am talking to the team about it and we may see an update on that soon.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

$200k for a PtW digital card game? Wrong kickstarter thread dude.

We're trying really hard to avoid PtW. We really like LoL's monetization model. Obviously we're still in development but the current plan is that anything that affects gameplay, mainly cards, can be attained without spending real money. But, you're going to have to win a good chunk of games to earn the currency to buy them. Think IP. As far as vanity items go it'll probably be a mix of real money and in-game currency. Personally I've spent about $50 on LoL and that was on skins (Gentleman Cho ftw) and extra rune pages and I didn't do that until well after I was in love with the game, that's what we're aiming for with Krono.

Mug posted:

Korono looks so amazingly boring. "Smooth, asynchronous PvP battles" *shows player putting square pictures into square holes*

It's a shame because the guy in the video seems like a likeable guy, and the video isn't horribly made. The game just looks so boring.

I'm likeable! Thanks! As far as the video goes, I definitely see your point. We'll try and gussy things up for the next video but that video was primarily about showing how an actual turn would play, and it was using programming animations. Rest assured the game will look much, much better once our artists spruce it up.

XboxPants posted:

Hahaha what the hell. Yes, please, I'd love to buy a single booster pack of digital cards for $25. Thank you very much.

Also, am I the only one who feels like that art style just looks, like... half-finished? Maybe it's the lack of inking, or it just needs to be colored in a different style, I dunno, but it just comes off looking really rough. I don't even think it's a bad looking style, but they all look really unpolished.

Yeah, we're gonna work on the rewards, thanks for the feedback.

As far as the art goes, some of the art is still being working on/having additional passes. Certain cards like Musashi and Geri are being given another pass as we speak and should feature a final version in a future update.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Orzo posted:

Please tell me more about how Blizzard wouldn't add races, classes, or completely new gameplay features. :allears:

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

seorin posted:

Please tell me more about how Blizzard wouldn't add races, classes, or completely new gameplay features. :allears:

From "4th race," I assume he's talking about Starcraft rather than WoW. Though I don't pay a lot of attention to Starcraft so maybe they've added more than 3 races at some point and I just missed it.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

ChaoticKitten posted:

*giggles* I can link it for you, but I haven't manually searched through the whole thread so it may be a re-post, if so, I apologize.

Here you are : http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/robotloveskitty/legend-of-dungeon

It's a roguelike Beat'em'up with 1-4 player co-op, and we used dynamic lighting on the art. The music is something I am really excited about too, it's going to assemble as you play, with different tracks depending on what monsters are in the room.

Basically the game is about dying and treasure.

I'd love feedback on it too, this game/kickstarter is looking like our best chance to live like normal humans while doing what we love, no more tree house game studio!

Yeah, it's been posted. Doesn't hurt to have a repost, good to see you've made your goal and then some.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

ChaoticKitten posted:

It actually is a re-post, which I guess is even better because even if you had joined just to shill the game, someone already posted it legitimately so you're sort of in the clear:

miguelito posted:

In other news, there seem to be two interesting new projects vying for cash:

Legend of Dungeon
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/robotloveskitty/legend-of-dungeon?ref=category
Graphically fantastic, retro-styled dungeon beat'em up thingie. Personally, I'm a bit burned out on the stick figure pixel look, but the lighting trickery looks amazing. Reddit-based, so expect tons of memes (purely personal speculation).

Peter's new god game
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/22cans/project-godus
That's right, Molyneux and his company are looking for kickstarter funding. I'll just leave it a that.

Edit: Actually, I feel this particular comment by 22Cans deserves highlighting. I swear it's not a photoshop.
http://i.imgur.com/SIdbK.png
Your game looks nice but I don't have three friends adventurous enough to play new video games with.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The Burning Legion was going to be a playable race in WC3 but Blizzard ended up cutting it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

You're going to be releasing your digital CCG at probably around the same time as Scrolls. How do you plan to compete?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Adding another race to Starcraft is a little bit bigger than adding another class to an RPG. Imagine Baldur's Gate without Paladins. Okay, now imagine Starcraft without the Zerg.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

This looks really good but the 100k strech for online coop when the original goal was only 5k :( I know about eight people who would pick this up if it was on Steam with online coop.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

seorin posted:

Sorry, I meant to write 'for Starcraft', but forgot to, as Sefer pointed out. My bad.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Yeah that's a shame. Surely it can't be 20x the cost of the game itself to write some P2P code? I know nothing about game development, mind.

ChaoticKitten
Dec 3, 2012

Go, go, Fumiko fireball!
Maluco Marinero: *curtsies* Why thank you. We flipped out when we saw it hit our goal within a day, just knowing that people liked our game so much felt fantastic, and our years of hard work in near anonymity felt a little vindicated.

carecat: we never really expected to get to 100k, we just though that it would be an awesome game to make. If people paid 200k for FTL, why not 100k for ours with an overworld?

TychoCelchuuu: I actually prefer playing by myself, that way I don't have to give -MY- apples to my thoughtless and death prone comrades. Try the demo and see if you like it, we put it up with one so people wouldn't have to take our word for it being fun.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I tried the demo and only being able to attack left or right instead of also up and down felt horrifically limiting and in general I don't know why I'd want to play a simple little game like this without friends. The main draws seem to be "it looks pretty" and "coop hilarity." Mediocre combat and roguelike-like mechanics are hardly compelling unless they're bolted onto something that can hold my interest otherwise, and 2.5d sidescrolling beat-em-ups never really do that unless they feel really good. A game with bidirectional attacks, an anemic jump, no dodge or block, and so on doesn't feel really good.

Lordy
Jan 2, 2011

ChaoticKitten posted:

carecat: we never really expected to get to 100k, we just though that it would be an awesome game to make. If people paid 200k for FTL, why not 100k for ours with an overworld?

I don't know but this sounds kinda wrong to me. It's not a we need this much money to produce it and more a someone else got a lot of money so why not us too. 100k for online coop in a game that basically sells on being coop is really weird to be honest.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

ten dollar bitcoin posted:

The Burning Legion was going to be a playable race in WC3 but Blizzard ended up cutting it.
They actually were going to have six races to begin with, but I guess that turned out to be too complicated.

ChaoticKitten
Dec 3, 2012

Go, go, Fumiko fireball!

Lordy posted:

I don't know but this sounds kinda wrong to me. It's not a we need this much money to produce it and more a someone else got a lot of money so why not us too. 100k for online coop in a game that basically sells on being coop is really weird to be honest.

Your interpretation wasn't what I meant. let me try again.

the 100k goal would get everyone a overworld expansion that would basically be multiple dungeons with a RPG world above them, there would be a entirely different game outside the basic game the Legend of dungeon that everyone is backing would turn into an "arcade" mode or something similar.
The addition of Networking would come into play letting people LAN, Run small servers of their own Overworld(way more than 4 players), or play online with others in instanced dungeons or something.

I was referencing FTL not just because it made 200k, but because its starting goal wasn't much bigger than mine.

also, having the people you are playing with withing punching distance makes playing legend of dungeon a lot of fun.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Cicero posted:

They actually were going to have six races to begin with, but I guess that turned out to be too complicated.

That sounds like something that would get struck down really, really early, like before you're even sure it's a Warcraft game. Or maybe they were taking a very different approach to the different sides originally, because even 4 seemed like a tall order in terms of balance and keeping all of the different sides extremely distinct as they started doing in Starcraft. If I were a designer making a Blizzard-style RTS and someone asked me if we could have six races I would have them committed.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

If I were a designer making a Blizzard-style RTS and someone asked me if we could have six races I would have them committed.

Have you played Dawn of War?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

NmareBfly posted:

Have you played Dawn of War?

Yeah. I haven't played them super extensively as I only own Dark Crusade as far as the first game goes but it doesn't strike me as being as thorough in terms of differentiating the different sides as Blizzard tends to be. Out of SC:BW, WC3, and SC2, I think SC2 is their friendliest game in terms of playing a race other than your main, but as a Diamond-level Protoss, when I played Zerg or Terran I might as well have never played SC2 in my life.

That's not to say the races in Dawn of War are all the same or anything, I just think they're more homogeneous than WC3 or Starcraft. Sorry about the derail guys.

ChaoticKitten
Dec 3, 2012

Go, go, Fumiko fireball!

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I tried the demo and only being able to attack left or right instead of also up and down felt horrifically limiting and in general I don't know why I'd want to play a simple little game like this without friends. The main draws seem to be "it looks pretty" and "coop hilarity." Mediocre combat and roguelike-like mechanics are hardly compelling unless they're bolted onto something that can hold my interest otherwise, and 2.5d sidescrolling beat-em-ups never really do that unless they feel really good. A game with bidirectional attacks, an anemic jump, no dodge or block, and so on doesn't feel really good.

I hear what you are saying, and I know it is a weak response, but:
The demo is barely an alpha, it is not complete, we are still adding in weapons and animations and such. There are a lot of things that are not finished yet. we just felt that having something that you can interact with would be better than not, especially since we aren't coming from famous game studios that make people back projects blindly.

I do really appreciate your feedback though! it reflects a lot of my own feelings about the current state of the game, and that means +1 point for its validity.

*curtsies* thanks!

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

ChaoticKitten posted:

I hear what you are saying

So hear this: Provide a way for online co-op or LAN (+Hamachi). Forget the large overworld that dwarfs the current game. I'm donating to your game because I like what you're doing (and you), but if you want my support (and by extension the rest of your fanbase's) in the future, you need to add to the longevity of the game significantly.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Well my point is that FTL didn't have any stretch goals at all. Strech goals must be good for marketing but 100k sounds like a lot for an indie game unless you hit it big. I'm backing you but I think it should have been at 50k, which is still ten times your minimum!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Carecat posted:

Well my point is that FTL didn't have any stretch goals at all. Strech goals must be good for marketing but 100k sounds like a lot for an indie game unless you hit it big. I'm backing you but I think it should have been at 50k, which is still ten times your minimum!

I'm not speaking for chaotic kitten in particular, but a lot of times you'll find that for many smaller devs, they may not have the ability to do a particular function justice. Maybe they would have to hire on a completely other dedicated net code guy in order to get it working, and hiring someone who knows their poo poo and can stay on to troubleshoot / write code well enough so that someone else can see what the hell they've done is pretty pricey.

Or even teaching yourself / debugging network code can get pricey in terms of opportunity cost of production hours. Chances are that 100k stretch goal is one of those things where you almost hope it doesn't get reached, because it's close to or has completely surpassed the scope of your abilities, but if you do reach it you at least now have the capital to invest in making it happen.